PDA

View Full Version : What Needs Should an oil pastel society fill?

CarlyHardy
09-07-2004, 07:40 PM
As individual oil pastel artists, we each have needs. I'm interested in finding out what needs you have that you feel an oil pastel association could or should meet. I've set up a poll so that you can get some ideas and just choose or if you want to add other priorities which you feel a society could address, please add that to the discussion.

This is not a discussion for the business of setting up a group....it's purpose is to give everyone the opportunity to say why they would want to be a part of an organization and how that organization could meet their needs.

As an update, I can say that a website is being set up to make it easier for us to grow toward becoming an oil pastel society, and this will help tremendously in knowing what our priorities should be toward members (when we have some :))
carly

...and this thread can't be stickied (from carly the mod)

CarlyHardy
09-07-2004, 07:54 PM
....oh....and purchasing every new member a set of Sennelier is not an option!!
Although it's a legitimate need :D

eileenclaire
09-07-2004, 10:31 PM
Okay, if you won't spring for the Senneliers, then I guess the full set of Holbeins is totally out of the question. :angel:

One more need I can think of is to expand awareness of oil pastels as a legitimate medium. So that when I say I work in oil pastels, I won't get that confused, blank look from the listener, or the reply, "Isn't that what the kids use?".

Dyin
09-07-2004, 10:43 PM
I didn't think online demos were so important but the rest were and agree with Eileen...my husband teases me about my 'crayons'. The society needs to promote understanding and acceptance of oil pastels as a legitimate medium first and foremost. This benefits every member.

ColorMyWorld
09-07-2004, 11:30 PM
One more need I can think of is to expand awareness of oil pastels as a legitimate medium. So that when I say I work in oil pastels, I won't get that confused, blank look from the listener, or the reply, "Isn't that what the kids use?".
I agree that this is a very important goal. I also get the blank stare and have to fall back on describing OPs as drawing with crayons or lipstick.
And within the WDE forum, there has been a lot of surprise that my paintings are OP.

Dyin
09-07-2004, 11:35 PM
a good point...we all need to show the capabilities of this medium and that means getting it out in the public eye as much as possible.

cjkelly
09-07-2004, 11:36 PM
I didn't think online demos were so important but the rest were and agree with Eileen...my husband teases me about my 'crayons'. The society needs to promote understanding and acceptance of oil pastels as a legitimate medium first and foremost. This benefits every member.

Ditto....

CarlyHardy
09-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Great feedback! everyone. Believe it or not the awareness of soft pastels is also very limited (not with the pastel artist...but with the public). I am constantly explaining what soft pastels really are....even to some who want to take classes with them. So, if a medium which is older and more well known also has a problem with 'understanding', think how much more oil pastels would be unknown.

One thing I've begun to say when anyone asks me what I'm painting with is...
"I'm painting with the same medium that was created for Picasso...it's oil pastels"

They seem to think that if Picasso had something to do with them...they must be more legitimate :D
carly

Dyin
09-08-2004, 11:59 AM
I don't know my art history well, did any other famous artist use them much? Not everyone gets thrilled at cubist work lol....

sexkitten
09-08-2004, 12:49 PM
I don't know my art history well, did any other famous artist use them much? Not everyone gets thrilled at cubist work lol....

Picasso did a lot of really wonderful non-cubist figure work as well.

I looked through a gallery of his work, and the mediums are listed as oil or pastel, but not "oil pastel." If Picasso had these things *made* for him and HIS work isn't listed as "oil pastel," I have to wonder how many oil pastel paintings are misattributed as either oils or pastels.... :confused:

sexkitten
09-08-2004, 01:58 PM
anyone else think the colored bars for the poll responses look like an introductory pastel set?

CarlyHardy
09-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Sue, the reason I throw out Picasso is because it's a well known name and he's accepted as a 'famous' artist! Of course, Sennelier did create oil pastels to meet his needs as an artist...so the connection is there. :)

carly

Dyin
09-08-2004, 08:44 PM
I know :) I just know some people that wouldn't think it was a good connection lol! I saw once that some other famous artists used them too, but forgot where I saw it...really, I've mentioned Picasso too, but does anyone know who else famous has used oil pastels, for curiosity's sake? It's good to know our oil pastel history :angel:

ok...back to the discussion at hand!

BeckyMc
09-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Frank Stella and Rothko are two that come to mind right away.

Dyin
09-08-2004, 09:12 PM
thanks, Becky~!

Kathryn Wilson
09-08-2004, 10:43 PM
I voted for everything except the demos - they can come to Wet Canvas and the OP forum for that.

Good poll Carly!

sundiver
09-09-2004, 08:22 PM
Before I realised it I had voted for everything!
One benefit of online demos would be to encourage others who just happened to surf their way to the site to give them a try....

artbyjune
09-10-2004, 01:57 AM
Oil pastels society sounds great to me. I like all the suggestions as to why we should have one, but voted for 2.

As for artists using oil pastels...I have a general art school book...and there are a few up-to-date oil pastelists (UK) in it. They tend to use OP in conjunction with oil paints or acrylics though, in a mixed media approach.

I'll list them here. In case of interest. I haven't looked for their websites yet.

Laura May Morrison (portrait in contemporary style)
Nick Swingler (landscape in contemporary style)
David Ferry (contemporary)
Patrick Cullen (landscape)

That was a fascinating snippet about Sennelier and Picasso. (I love Picasso's work, especially Vollard suite).

Now those kinds of facts (why Sennelier created OP range, etc.) would be good to include in a site about OP's.

Cheers all. ;)

hamsterdance
09-10-2004, 10:20 PM
Wow. Leave for a few months and look what happens - OP's get their own forum. Are the WC Admins trying to tell me something? :p

eileenclaire
09-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Yes! They're saying we've missed you! :wave: Welcome home!

Dyin
09-10-2004, 11:32 PM
yeah, what Eileen said :wave: ...get your clayboard out and start smooshin' OPs!!!

stonewhiteclown
09-11-2004, 08:14 AM
I want to thank everyone who put their efforts into estabilishing oil pastel society! It is much needed aid for promoting the medium, hopefully everyone involved will benefit from it!

Hamsterdance, welcome back! It was your posting that I printed out for studing properties of different brands of OPs! Pity thing I still have the same set I started the year with, but it's another story.

steven
09-14-2004, 08:14 AM
:cool: Interesting OP artist I came across:

http://www.janebolmeier.com/pastels/

steven
09-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Something else I bumped into:

http://www.opai.org/

http://www.opai.org/LOGOT3.gif

Oil Pastel Association International for Oil Pastel Artists and Collectors

Dyin
09-15-2004, 06:11 PM
thanks Steve...have an OP artist link list and added it :)

Becky Foster
03-26-2005, 01:09 PM
I would not be a professional artist if not for oil pastels. There is no other medium that I could produce "fine" art with. I love oil pastels and I believe they have much untapped potential. I think I've taken a "road less traveled" with them and I think the sky's the limit. An oil pastel society is important for bringing fellow op-ers together to increase awareness and credibility and also to share and explore this amazing medium.
-BeckyT

k9artisan
03-28-2005, 12:28 AM
One role that I would like the oil pastel society to fill that hasn't yet been mentioned is to have established pastel organizations and magazines recognize oil pastels and allow the entry of them in their shows and articles concerning the use of them. Maybe I am just daydreaming here but I think the magazine Pastel Journal should recognize the oil pastelists needs. That would be one step on the long road to peer acceptance of the oil pastel as a fine art medium.
Amber

Becky Foster
03-28-2005, 01:19 PM
I think we need an Oil Pastel Journal.
-BeckyT

moscous
08-09-2005, 03:47 PM
how much will this membership cost?
will this membership get for us a 'perks' card from say Sennelier, or company that makes and/ or sells canvas?

CarlyHardy
08-10-2005, 08:25 PM
Mouscous,
all the membership information can be found at www.oilpastelsociety.com/membership.htm

All the benefits of membership are listed there.

There is not a discount 'perk' at the current time, but that's a good suggestion for the future :)

I was very excited this year to have Savoir Faire (the makers of Sennelier oil pastels) donate a merchandise award valued at more than $200 to our online Members show. Hopefully next year we'll have participation from other companies!

carly

Maple
10-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Hi! I am a new member to the Oil Pastel Society as well as to Wet Canvas.
I think exposure to other artists' oil pastel creations is wonderful.
Does the Oil Pastel Society or Wet Canvas have a place for links to oil pastel artists?
For instance, I stumbled onto a beautiful oil pastel painting on the web of a Haitian artist...
Here's the link...http://www.kreyol.com/portfolios/portfolio1.htm

ColorMyWorld
10-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Maple, Welcome to OPS and the oil pastel forum.
Thanks for the link. Interesting work. Very strong colors.
On the OPS website, if you look up the Artists listed who have gallery pages, some of them have a link to their own website.
But I do not know of any other "master list" of Oil Pastel artists.

Maple
10-12-2005, 04:45 AM
As for artists using oil pastels...

Laura May Morrison (portrait in contemporary style)
Nick Swingler (landscape in contemporary style)
David Ferry (contemporary)
Patrick Cullen (landscape)
)

How about an article about Mary Ann Currier (still lifes)? The Speedwell Museum in Kentucky has a current exhibition of her art. A recent web article says she has been using oil pastels exclusively since the 1980's.
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051002/SCENE05/510020330/1011/SCENE

Here's the museum link. Wish it wasn't so far away!
http://www.speedmuseum.org/

Pat Isaac
10-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Thank you for the info on other oil pastel artists and especially for the links to Mary Ann Currier. I love her work. Thanks also for the link to the Haitian artist. Don't know of any list. Guess you just have to stumble on them.
Welcome to the forum and the OPS.

Pat

Mirele
10-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Just thought I'd throw a couple of artists out that I'm aware of that use oil pastel on a regular basis. I'm trying to compile a list for my own personal benefit.

RC Gorman is another artist who uses oil pastel. (He also does lithography, sculpture, drawings, etchings...). Here's a page with his most current work:

http://rcgormangallery.com/drawings/index.php

He's the first person I encountered who used oil pastels as a medium (I have a relative who collects Gorman). I wish his works weren't described as "drawings," however. One thing you might want to be aware of with Gorman, he loves painting women and I believe I've read that he has never painted a woman in the same position twice.

There are other people who use oil pastel, I have been kind of collecting a list. Another person who paints in oil pastel is Susan Bennerstrom:

http://www.davidsongalleries.com/artists/bennerstrom/bennerstrom.html (among other links)

Bennerstrom is offering an master oil pastel class through La Conner Art Workshops (a division of Dakota Art Pastels) next March 24-26. (No affiliation, just letting people know.)

Mirele

Pat Isaac
10-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks so much for these links, Mirele. I really like Susan's work. Are you working in OPs?

Pat

Mirele
10-21-2005, 06:12 PM
vangoghpat,

I am trying to work in oil pastels. :D I'm not artistically trained and it wasn't until I moved to Arizona that I even got interested in art (at age 41!). But I like oil pastels because they are not dusty (aaachoo!) or mucky (think acrylic or oil palettes).

But I'm very much a newbie to both art and oil pastel.

Mirele

Pat Isaac
10-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Welcome to oil pastels and let us know how you are making out. When you are ready post some pictures in the Op forum. We are all a very friendly and helpful bunch,

Pat

Geoff
05-06-2007, 11:24 AM
I know :) I just know some people that wouldn't think it was a good connection lol! I saw once that some other famous artists used them too, but forgot where I saw it...really, I've mentioned Picasso too, but does anyone know who else famous has used oil pastels, for curiosity's sake? It's good to know our oil pastel history :angel:
!
Surely one of the aims of an Oil Society - to not only educate the public, but also ourselves ?

Pat Isaac
05-06-2007, 11:27 AM
That certainly is a worthy aim and hopefully we are doing that.

Pat

Sneuart
08-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Hi all:
First, I would like to thank the Oil Pastel Society for helping me discover WetCanvas.
I would say that one of the Missions of the OPS should be to educate the public about the artistic merit of OPs. I just recently picked up an issue of the Pastel Journal, and apparently they are having an art competition, but it is not open to OPs because "soft pastels are dry and oil pastels are wet".... Which made no sense to me frankly.
Others don't seem to be interested in online demos, but I am as there is very little GOOD instruction materials out there for someone who is trying to learn on his or her own.
Education for the members themselves is good, I think. Plus, the ability to exhibit and to accept C&C from one's peers, which will raise the level of excellence and enhance the public's understanding of the legitimacy of the medium.
Thanks for letting me post my thoughts. SAving up for my first set of OP's.

RainySea
09-11-2008, 07:51 PM
I wonder if a lack of books on the subject has something to do with the OP not being accepted as well as most other mediums? I mean there are gazillions of books on soft pastels and watercolor and oils and graphite and acrylic and even a fair amount now on colored pencils. But can count on less than one hand those on OP. :(

Perhaps the OP society could help in some way to get books published? Or publish one as a collaboration among its member or something. . . just thinking.

Pat Isaac
09-12-2008, 09:06 AM
You are absolutely right, Rainy. It's a lot of work to get a book going and you need to find a publisher who's willing to do it. I had a publisher contact me as well as other OP artists to send WIPs and images to make up a book on OPs. Well I was refused, but I haven't seen the book out yet. It is something that needs doing.

Pat

robertsloan2
11-14-2008, 12:55 AM
That must have been such a thrill. I'm looking at it from the other end -- do a good book and then write up the query and submission package and start contacting publishers about it. Their formats vary so much too.

Though I have a lot of confidence about marketing it once the book is finished, because the need for it is so real. For more than one eventually, since in other mediums I tend to pick up the specialty ones like wildlife, landscapes, seascapes (oh seascapes!) or birds or anything interesting.