PDA

View Full Version : A familiar road

Einharjar
09-07-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi people,
good to be back after a long time. work has been selfish. this is the road from the men's halls of residence to gate No.3 in my university (the red house in the distance is the gaurd's booth beside the gate. its a lovely place and i feel nostalgic all the time.
C&C please
Sam

llis
09-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Don't you just love having paintings that mean something to you personally? I do. Each time I do a painting either on location or maybe a still life that I've arranged from my own personal items or maybe from my flower garden, I just can't quit looking at it. Same thing happens when I purchase a painting from someone I've painted with or just love. Memories are good things.

I think you've captured the scene just great. I like your composition. The only thing that is a bit distracting is that lamp post, but don't have a clue as to tell you how to fix that distraction...other than leaving it out. Don't know if that lamp post has special meaning to you or not, but if you could do without that lamp post, I would. :)

Good job!

Deborah Secor
09-07-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi Sam. I like this one too--the sweep of the road is quite nice, moving your eye back to the red building. I like the color of the road and the light shadowing you've suggested. I agree with Phyllis, though, that the white lamp post and the red at it's base are a bit distracting. The rest of the details add nicely to the whole painting, however. Good one!

Glad you're dropping in again!

Deborah

Khadres
09-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Now isn't it fun to have the talent to record places like this in a painting rather than just a photograph? This will remind you of this place much more fully in the future. I like the way you've used your colors! Nice one!

Stop by and share your work more often!

Einharjar
09-08-2004, 04:36 PM
thx guys

yup. painting personally relevant themes always have a special kind of joy to them, hough sometimes it can be a little daunting cos u are tempted to capture the scene in its exactitude rather than go with the flow...

yup...i debated long and hard over the lamppost myself...maybe i should leave that out after all....

and yes...it takes me back every time i look at it

Sam

khourianya
09-09-2004, 04:11 PM
I love the road in this, especially those curbs - they are awesome! Good job. The colours are really great and it is a scene that just draws you into it...I want to see what's around the bend in the road, now!