PDA

View Full Version : Just to say hello!

Helen Zapata
09-07-2004, 12:35 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm not new to WC, but am new to the Pastel Forums. I've always been an oil painter, but from 1992-1995 I concentrated on pastels. I've been happy with my oils, however, I've missed my pastels badly and haven't been using them simply because I haven't got the room for both oils and pastels in my tiny studio. (Plus my hubby isn't crazy about pastel dust everywhere)

Last week it dawned on me (duh) that I could set up my new Louviere Pochade Box (http://www.pleinairsolutions.com/louvierepochadebox.htm) with my pastels! Woohoo!! I'm SO excited! And my friend is going to make me some shallow trays to fit perfectly inside it to store as many pastels as I can cram in there. I've been walking on air at the very thought of doing pastel again! I'm really interested in getting back to plein air painting, but have been a little nervous about dealing with oils out there in the wild world. :p

So anyhoo.. I've been lurking in the Pastel Forums for the past several days, and thought I'd just say hi. :) I hope to be sharing some new work one of these days. In the meantime, I'll share one of my older pastels just so you can get to know me a little. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/13900-StillLifeWithLilies.jpg

Helen

CarlyHardy
09-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Helen!!
Welcome to the Pastels forum!! I paint with pastels plein air and love it. The immediacy of color and ease in working without 'wet paint' is great!

Love your still life and looking forward to seeing more :)
carly

khourianya
09-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Hello and welcome to the pastels forum! Your excitement is contagious and I am so happy that you have brought it with you! :D Hope to see more of your work really soon...

Dark_Shades
09-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Hi Helen

welcome to the forum.... will watch for you posting more works ..... there isnt any excuse now :)

K Taylor-Green
09-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Hi Helen :wave:
Welcome to the forum! Love your still life, and looking forward to more.

Helen Zapata
09-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Hi Carly! I used to do some pastel en plein air when I was in my twenties. That was back in the days of carrying them in a tackle box and hanging onto a big drawing board while hopping over the rocks in the creeks! haha.. I was much spryer then! But at that time I hadn't really fallen in love with pastels yet and it was more quick sketch tool. Now I want to do it right! I was going to ask you how you transported the pastels after doing your pleins airs. But I hopped up to your website and saw your mention of glassine and your portfolio. I have portfolios out the wazzoo. :p I'll have to pick up some glassine. I tried tracing paper before and lost a few paintings. Dangit.

Hi Cori, thank you! I'm way excited about this! There's nothing like the feel of a pastel stick in your hand!

No more excuses, Dark Shades? Yikes! I'm committed now! That's okay.. it's good for me! <pressure pressure>

Hi Kate! Thank you (all) for the warm welcome. :D :D

Helen

E-J
09-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Welcome back to pastels, Helen. I can totally relate to the experience of falling in love with this medium ... would like to develop my skills in other painting media too, but I can't concentrate on them for very long without getting pastel withdrawal symptoms!

I am a big fan of lilies so your still life really appeals to me. The reflection of the cup is nicely done and the way you've cropped the flowers at the top and left makes for an effective use of your picture space.

The pochade box looks gorgeous!! I recently got a Heilman 'backpack' pastel box which I can mount on a tripod and it looks sooooooo sexy, LOL. Finally I can call myself an artist 'cos I've got all the right equipment :D

Helen Zapata
09-07-2004, 07:54 PM
Thanks E-J! I loved painting the lilies, but the most fun was the reflection in the vase! It was actually a cheap black plastic "thing" that I got somewhere, but it was perfect to paint!

I just finished reading the long long Santa Fe thread! It took all afternoon, lol. What a great thread! I loved all the photos and stories and am sooooo envious of all the fun everyone had. Now I feel like I already know so many folks in the Pastel Forum!

Helen

Khadres
09-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Welcome back to pastels! I'm a former oilie, myself, and have just gotten into pastels over the last 9 months or so...they ARE addictive!

I like your painting--I especially like the translucent look of the glass cup and saucer. Be sure and share your new stuff when you're ready!