PDA

View Full Version : How do you make your own toggles? mostly the "bar" part.

newyorkglitter
09-07-2004, 12:59 AM
Hi,
I was wondering about making my own toggles and have been having a problem making the "bar" part of it. I would like to use crystals to make both pieces and am stumped. :( Any info and pics of what you have made would be most appreciated. Or if there is a place to buy them pre-made that would be even better. Thanks alot for any info!

Allison

New York Glitter Designs

Beads-Me!
09-07-2004, 07:57 AM
I have no idea - but would love to see one when you've figured it out! :)

GardensOnGlass
09-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Visit www.gemfox.com Under her navigation bar on the left side of the screen under "Lampwork Links" there's a "Tips/Tricks" button. She has instructions for a beaded toggle clasp. Her homepage takes a minute or two to download.

TheBlueBetween
09-07-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the Gem Fox link :)

There is this one that I made from wire and beads:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/27814-leopardjasper2.jpg

And there is a great book about findings that has some instructions for making your own toggles in a variety of ways:

Findings & Finishings (Beadwork How-to Book)
by Sharon Bateman
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931499403/qid=1094569244/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-0912937-9587002?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Gingerbiscuit
09-07-2004, 11:25 AM
I make a toggle bar with a stiffened seed bead tube. :)

Mary Riggs
09-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Oh, this thread is really helpful!

Lynne, would you explain a "stiffened seed bead tube"? This sounds like something I would like to try.

Thanks for the link........getting over there right away!

newyorkglitter
09-08-2004, 12:53 AM
Hey, Thanks for all the replys! Yes I would like more info on the stiffened bead too. Sounds interesting. If I ever figure something out I will let ya'll know. :cat:

Allison

New York Glitter Designs

P.S Gemfox is so talented, I didn't know why I didn't look at her webpage before !! DUH! :D

newyorkglitter
09-08-2004, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the Gem Fox link :)

There is this one that I made from wire and beads:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/27814-leopardjasper2.jpg

And there is a great book about findings that has some instructions for making your own toggles in a variety of ways:

Findings & Finishings (Beadwork How-to Book)
by Sharon Bateman
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931499403/qid=1094569244/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-0912937-9587002?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Pam,
Your necklace and Toggle are beautiful!! :D

Allison

Gingerbiscuit
09-08-2004, 05:46 AM
I make an N'debele tube, 6 beads round and 14 rows high. I put a piece of cocktail stick inside; I color it with a black sharpie or other suitable colour. Just in case a bit of the wood shows between the beads, colouring it will blend it into the shadows. I sew a bead on each end to close the tube. I then work off the centre of the toggle in square stitch and then two bead ladder stitch for the "lead in."

I have a beaded loop on the other end. The toggle must be long enough so that when your necklace is being worn, it is too long to slip out. The loop changes in shape when it is being worn (it goes long and thin), and the toggle can slip out unless half the toggle is longer than this elongated length. I didn't say this very well!

The stick is a tightish fit. If it isn't, vary the number of beads in each row. (Or find another stick! :D )

I just tried to take a photo, but the batteries in my camera, and DH's, are flat. They are charging now, and I'll post a photo later.

:)

Gingerbiscuit
09-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Here's a photo of my toggle. :)

newyorkglitter
09-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Very cool! Sounds a little hard though..you look like a pro! :D

Allison

New York Glitter Designs

Cyndi L
09-09-2004, 11:37 AM
She has instructions for a beaded toggle clasp. Her homepage takes a minute or two to download.

Lori, that is very cool! Thanks so much for the link :)

GardensOnGlass
10-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Bumping this up again. Someone in this forum had mentioned Eni Oken once before, I can't remember who. Whoever did (was it you Pam or Danielle?), thanks so much. I mention her here because she has a tutorial for sale for $5 (Paypal) to make a toggle clasp. Her site is www.enioken.com , just absolutely gorgeous wire wrapping & the prices for the tutorials she charges for are incredibly reasonable.

TheBlueBetween
10-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Bumping this up again. Someone in this forum had mentioned Eni Oken once before, I can't remember who. Whoever did (was it you Pam or Danielle?), thanks so much. I mention her here because she has a tutorial for sale for $5 (Paypal) to make a toggle clasp. Her site is www.enioken.com , just absolutely gorgeous wire wrapping & the prices for the tutorials she charges for are incredibly reasonable.

It wasn't me but I'm so glad you shared her site - beatuiful work there! Fun stuff :)

tamjai
10-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Lori - thanks for that link - what an awesome solution!
I've purchased tutorials from eni oken, her stuff is so original - love it and well worth five bucks!
tam

GemFOX
10-08-2004, 02:34 AM
Hi there everyone - I would love to see your wireworked toggles. If you would let me post them on my tutorial page just say the word, either post here or send me an email [email protected] Have fun : )

newyorkglitter
10-08-2004, 03:32 AM
Hi there everyone - I would love to see your wireworked toggles. If you would let me post them on my tutorial page just say the word, either post here or send me an email gem[email protected] Have fun : )

Hi Gem :wave:
I have one in the works I will have to send to you, I think it could be really cute..Your stuff is always the best though!

Ali

New York Glitter Designs

beclectic
10-09-2004, 03:42 PM
There are instructions for a seed beaded bar in the current (October 2004) Bead & Button Magazine on page 86. It is the toggle bar for the cover necklace.