PDA

View Full Version : Show & Tell Tuesday 9/7/04

TheBlueBetween
09-07-2004, 12:52 AM
It's only almost 10 here - but it FEELS like it's past midnight... and you guys are all sleeping anyway ;)

Here is a little necklace I made tonight - red coral stick with brown seeds and pearls:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/27814-1coral1.jpg

Pam (who should go to bed but might finish up the earrings she started earlier today)

framerak
09-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Pam, I like the simplicity of the necklace! Would love to see those pearls in person - they look luscious.

I'm posting my first "caterpillar" necklace. I call it "Soup to Nuts-Pearls to Pewter." Has a bit of everything - size 8 & 11 seed beads, pearls, lampwork, pewter, and bugles. Whew! Needs a focal bead but couldn't find anything that talked to me so I just kept stringing everything else. :wink2: Sorry if the pic is too huge - wasn't sure how to downsize.

I'd welcome critiques but please be gentle with me. I'm still a newbie!

Angela

Lori-O
09-07-2004, 01:20 AM
Hi all..

It's been a loooong jewlery making weekend in preparation for a show next week. Still lots more to do!

Well here are a few offerings...

I made a ceramic clay face cab and painted it satin black, then attached a ss bail using that E6000 glue stuff (stinky!) Then added two lampwork beads and ss balls on a leather cord.

A ceramic focal in pea green, kahki green, and some brown/rust. I added some lampwork beads in amber and Lauscha olive green.

Lastly, I have a pink organza ribbon with etched transp. pink lampwork beads and white dots, along with a flat cylinder with bead glaze. So how are the organza/fiber necklaces selling?

Any suggestions for improvement greatly appreciated!

Lori

TheBlueBetween
09-07-2004, 01:25 AM
Hi Angela - it's nice to see I'm not the only one up and about :)

Your necklace is so luxurious!! It's great just the way it is, but I will admit to being surprised that there was no focal on it. I know that was a lot of work and hope whoever gets to wear it will appreciate it and treasure it!

Here are those earrings... (anyone got a great way to photograph earrings and want to share?) and then I'm off to bed - g'night!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/27814-1ears.jpg

Pam

Lori-O
09-07-2004, 01:37 AM
Oh, I think I started another S/T thread, but I'll just move my stuff over here.

LOVE the necklace and earrings, Pam!

Angela, that's beautiful!

I'm looking for improvements for the following 3:

TheBlueBetween
09-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Hi Lori :) So... I decided to have a little snack before bed and so I'm still here...

Your face is very cool - I could totally see that seed bead bezeled and made into something spectacular! Can I have one? Are you selling any?

I think the pink ribbon one is fine just the way it is... but the other two I don't like the way they hang - you've got great combos of beads together but they don't "work" on the leather cord unless it they were going to be chokers. You might try stringing all the beads on a thick wire, giving it a slight bend - not so much that you start to get space between everything again - making loops on each end and then attaching the leather cord onto the wire - either knot through the loops or double it up and knot it at the clasp in back... or you can bend the leather over and wire-wrap it nice and tight - it's kind of a pain to get right, but holds really well if you do.

Hope that's the kind of "help" you were looking for! Now I'm really off to bed...

TheBlueBetween
09-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Oh one other idea Lori - have you tried putting knots between the beads so you don't get that gap? That might do it... Ok, now BACK to bed - I got there and then thought of the knots... LOL :)

Lori-O
09-07-2004, 02:20 AM
Thanks Pam! I knew I had some good combos going, but I haven't reached the higher sense of design that you have so the help means a lot coming from you!

Sure I can make you a face cab. I don't do the bezel thing, although I thought someone might like to do that. I just started the clay work a few months ago, so I still experiment with different glazes for different pieces. I'll just send you a couple for free if you credit me and link to my site (which is sorely lacking pictures right now but should get much better soon!) Maybe you could let me use a pic of the finished product for an example pic and I'll link back to you! The black matte satin has turned out the best so far - sort of ebony looking, but I have a shiny dk brown translucent that might look nice, too. Like I said, still testing to see what "works!" I'm totally swamped this week, so it will be 2-3 weeks before I can get them finished.

Do you remember that you were my Valentine? Is the rice bead still holding water? lol~

Lori

framerak
09-07-2004, 02:30 AM
Lori, I think Pam is on the right track with her suggestion that you add knots between the beads (on the corded necklaces). Might define the beads more (if that makes any sense at all???). I'm pretty new to all of this but somehow the ribbon doesn't work for me. Seems like my eye wants the ribbon to be narrower or maybe knotted?

Like Pam, I agree that the bead combos are great!

Pam, those earring wires are fabulous! I'm an earring lover and those are so appealing to me. Great work!

Angela

Andee
09-07-2004, 04:22 AM
Pam - when I start a new S&T right after midnight you call me borderline cheeky. You start one hours before midnight and think you can get away with it? Well, let me tell you something - you can!! ;) ;) Soz for kidding! :) I love the necklace, very, hm, down to earth yet elegant! The earrings are lovely, I especially love the hooks, great idea! :clap: I also had problems photographing earrings. My latest solution: I use a piece of a rod of Moretti clear (it's useless for all other purposes anyway ;) ) to hang the earrings on...

Angela - welcome! :) Great necklace, how long did it take you to finish it? It looks like hours and hours of work!

Lori - lovely beads! I agree with Pam, knots might solve a bit of the problem, or maybe you could use smaller beads to fill the gaps. As for the ribbon necklace - I dunno, personally I think there needs to be something on both sides of the focal... Just something small in the colour of the lampwork beads... I also like the face, but I would set in in silver! ;) And I just love the focal of the 2nd necklace! :clap:

Andee
09-07-2004, 06:23 AM
Here's my work for the moment. Another bangle-wannabe, very similar to the one from yesterday. And a silver/pearl-necklace. I'm not sure if I like the chain or not, maybe I'll change that sometime...

pixieled
09-07-2004, 07:56 AM
I really love the face pendant. You do great work.

beclectic
09-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Angela - That is a beautiful "caterpillar" necklace. The colors are subtle and rich. I can see why it would have been hard to find just the right focal. I don't think it needs one and will be lovely just the way it is. If you ever find the right focal perhaps you can find a way to hang it without having to redo the whole necklace.

Pam - I'm with everyone else, I love the ear wires of those earrings. The beads are fun and the fact that they are not exactly alike adds to the charm of the pair. I photograph my earrings hanging on the twizzer of a third hand draped in silk. I think Andee's idea of a clear Effretti rod makes sense as I've heard they are bubbly and not much use for bead making.

Lori-O - First Necklace: Love the face and beads you have with it. I'm thinking that some SS tube beads, perhaps fairly long (2" or so)and curved would really make this piece work. One curved tube in the middle for the face pendent piece to slide over and then some other curved pieces possibly shorter between the silver beads and the lampwork.

Second Necklace: The holes are fairly large in those beads so perhaps some seed beads to help center the beads on the leather. I also think some kind of smaller bead between the large beads you show here would fill those gaps. Perhaps some of those African etched glass beads or something else pimative. I really like that center bead, it looks like Chintz and reminds me of an English garden.

Third Necklace: There appears to be 2 strands of ribbon here because the ribbon is not gathered by the smaller lampwork beads. If that is the case I think you need a couple of beads spaced out on the second ribbon to bring it under control and make it lay with the others and be part of what is going on in this design.

Andee - I thought your bangle wanna' be was a very funny title. I see what you mean it does have a bangle look and at first I did think it was a bangle. The soft aquas and delicate seedbeads are so feminine. I love those crystals, they look fairly large in the picture, are they? Your pearl and silver pendent piece is just great. I like the way the stick pearls work with the shape of the pendent. The design is very original and pleasing.

beclectic
09-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Hi, This is a duplicate thread and will be either merged into the other Show & Tell thread or deleted. A moderator has been asked to fix the duplicate so please post in the other Shoe & Tell thread for today.

Thanks,

Beads-Me!
09-07-2004, 08:57 AM
Nice work everyone! I love the silver and pearl necklace Andee - it doesn't need any changing IMHO... Lori - you've gotten some great advice already . I think it's pretty right-on. Pam - don't you love those coral sticks? I have one in a necklace of mine. And the earrings are GREAT! Angela - welcome!! Your necklace is beautiful - I love chock-full pieces like that!

carebear
09-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Pam...what a great necklace! That stick coral is just the thing! and I adore those earrings...gonna have to make me a pair!

angela...great caterpillar! I am planning on starting one next weekend..just missing a few more beads!

lori, I agree with the knots between the beads..it will also shorten the necklace making it more of a choker..

andee..another great bangle wanna be...and did you make the pendant on the second necklace? I love it! It's just what I've been looking for!

have a great day!

carrie
:p

MadameKali
09-07-2004, 10:02 AM
Just a short reply.. ;)

Pam, those earrings rock! I also loved your other piece, but the earrings especially caught my eye. What I generally do to photograph earrings (not saying at all that it's a great way, lol) is to use a piece of light fabric to hang them on.. just push the earwires right through the fabric. Then you can drape it over something. I've never gotten a good photograph where they weren't hanging :(

Andee, woman, I am digging on your swirly lampwork beads!!! I really really like those. Everything you do always looks so elegant!

Everyone else's pieces, of course, are beauties too.. but I have to run and eat my breakfast, my tummy is yelling at me! Back later. ;)

TheBlueBetween
09-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Thank you everyone for all the compliments! I'm thinking those earrings can be made into all kinds of shapes - triangles, squares, squiggles... and the drops are interchangable - they just go on and off - so you can have mulitple drops with one wire - great for travel ;) have fun and I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Those coral sticks ARE awesome and I have a small handful more that I'm thinking of using for a necklace today... will see if it turns out as my minds eye pictures it or not.

Lori-O of course I remember! I have your red and white bracelet right in front of me. The rice is STILL doing just fine too :) And thank you for your offer! I'd love to take you up on it - but it may take me a little while to finish something like that too - I work slow... but I'll send you pictures for your site when I'm done! And do you still have my addy or do you need me to PM you with it?

TheBlueBetween
09-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Oh it's going to be a loooonnnnnggggg day... I have a head cold and just want to go back to bed and my child is walking around saying he's bored and no one will play with him. It's pitiful. Both of us are actually.

I MEANT to also thank you all for the suggestions on the earring photography - Andee - I think I like your idea the best - I wanted something that I could see the wires with - poking them through paper or fabric would work if I didn't want to see the wires... What do you prop it on? I guess a couple of glasses or boxes would work no problem? Will try it - thank you :)

And also Andee - love that pearl and silver necklace! It's beautiful and I wouldn't change a thing. What are you stringing your faux bangles on anyway? Curious mind wants to know but will probably promptly forget it in less than 5 minutes...

Andee
09-07-2004, 11:26 AM
What do you prop it on? I guess a couple of glasses or boxes would work no problem? Will try it - thank you :)

Pam - I usually just hold the rod in my hand, but sometimes I prop it on small boxes.

And also Andee - love that pearl and silver necklace! It's beautiful and I wouldn't change a thing. What are you stringing your faux bangles on anyway? Curious mind wants to know but will probably promptly forget it in less than 5 minutes...

Thanks - I use a beadalon-sort-of. I had some pieces that were heavier than the usual stuff, and that works pretty well.

Hope you can get some rest and your head cold will soon be gone!

Everybody - thanks for the nice comments! :)

Barbara - yes, those crystal-like beads next to the "focal" (I'm really not even sure if they are glass) are quite large!

Carrie - no, I didn't make the silver pendant. It's from an old earring.

Susie - I hate making those beads, as it's so difficult to take them out of the flame at just the right moment when the swirls will stick enough to the base but before they melt into oblivion... But I love when they turn out well! :)

Lori-O
09-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I'm sure I'll figure out something.

Pam, just pm me your addy. I'm slow, too!

framerak
09-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Andee, that pearl & silver necklace is spectacular! I like the chain - wouldn't change it. The silver dangle works perfectly - very clever. Your bangle wannabe is so well balanced - very nice! Your work always inspires me.

Poor Pam - a head cold is no way to start the day! Get better so those creative juices can flow freely.

Thanks everyone for welcoming me and making me feel "at home!" The caterpillar necklace took about 8 hours - did it in three evenings (and made my elbow tendonitis go crazy!). I laid awake last night thinking of other fun seed bead necklaces but alas, they have to wait for the elbows to calm down!

Angela