PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Sept 7th S&T

NLC
09-06-2004, 11:38 PM
I know, I'm early, but I couldn't wait!
I figured out twisties and florals, and I am beside myself with excitement and had had had to share!
Thanks to everyone for all the advice to make it happen - it's amazing what you can learn by reading a lot. :wink2:

Nikki

Booger
09-07-2004, 12:06 AM
:music: "Ohhhhh, If you're a bird,
Be an early early bird
And catch the worm for your morning plate.
Yes, if you're a bird, be an early early bird -
But if you're a worm?
SLEEP LATE!" :music:

Shel Silverstein

That is one BEAUTIFUL floral and there is no way a pic will show it. You have to see it and feel it and the very best part? Is hearing the excitement in her voice over her accomplishment! :clap:

And since she started it, here's mine. Bullseye, handmade eyeballs and very festive. Not sure this guy is going anywhere but in my pocket...

Let's see what everyone created over the weekend!
Sheryll Suffering Peer Pressure

NLC
09-07-2004, 12:35 AM
*sniff* Thanks, dear. LOVE the spotlight effect on your dude - has he told you his name yet???
Wanna see what you're showing off tomorrow that you're singing about tonight...

Nikki

theonlyduda
09-07-2004, 12:46 AM
WOW! Such unique designs to start off the day! I love them all!! :) Here are some beadies in Fall colors....... Have a great Tuesday everyone!! :D

Josie
09-07-2004, 01:13 AM
Beautiful glass work everyone! Here's to the beginning of a very busy selling season. :) Think positive!
I'm in love with the new silver violet!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/13004-MVC-002F.JPG
Here's a set with that yummy red coral
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/13004-MVC-008F.JPG
Another adventure with the raku frit. That stuff is heavenly!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/13004-MVC-003F.JPG

Happy day all!
Tracey

Daphne of Dilluvian
09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
O.K. I am a little excited to be actually participating in a S&T. A bunch of you helped me figure out my troubles with Adobe for which I am so grateful. I am loving everything I see on this thread. Florals are one of my favourite things in the world and Booger, yours always make me smile, always. The fall set looks so delicious and I am just going to have to get me a lentil press. Wow.

I have been pumping out turquoise and red beads all weekend so here they are. I don't have a very good method of taking pictures yet, but at least you can get a partial idea. I am going to work on photo set up next.

KikkiSweden
09-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Whoa! It isn't even 8 AM here in Sweden and you still have had time to dazzle me with beautiful beads! Don't you ever sleep?

Great work everyone!

Here is a new set of mine, pixiedusted lentils and round beads with bright gold dots! (Thanks Foofaraw!)

prncsk
09-07-2004, 01:51 AM
Great stuff guys! Tracey, those lentils with Raku are just do die for! I gotta get me some of that stuff!

Karen

kybeadmaker
09-07-2004, 03:05 AM
Love seeing everyone's beads. I finally got to torch after being gone for three days...although it was worth it, because I got to see my sweet baboo!!!
Here's my beads.... typical multi-colored etched beads..and my sweet baboo !!

David E Ricketts
09-07-2004, 04:30 AM
Some Great Beads.

Nikki, what a great looking bead. Wow!
Kikki, I just love the pearl effect, especially with the gold dots. Great job!
Booger, need I say more? Always great....

Vangie
09-07-2004, 06:09 AM
Josie, that Raku Frit is to die for!! Are you posting those on Ebay? Considre them sold!! Please PM me if they are not on Ebay. I'd like to purchase them if they are no spoken for....

Blessings,
Vangie
;)

saucy
09-07-2004, 06:17 AM
Good morning everyone! :wave:

Nikki - Your enthusiasm is contangeous! I like both beads but the first has some soothing colors. Very nice.
Sheryll - I love eyeball dude. Cool
Dawn - Those beads make me thing of gingerbread and Christmas.
Tracey - Wowzers! The raku frit set is calling me...
Daphne - Lovely beads.
Kikki - Those are elegant.
Harriet - Your beads always make me happy. Wonderful! Your little one is too cute and steals the show.
Vangie - You beat me to those wonderful beads. They are gorgeous and I hope you enjoy them!

Here is my for the day. I finally got the colors when I photographed one leaf by itself. I'm still playing with my new leaf mashers and this is only the second time I've used them.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/26398-leavesfront1.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/26398-leaf1.jpg

NYCindy
09-07-2004, 07:52 AM
I got to see my sweet baboo!!!!

He's the cutest bead today! :-)

jeffwelsh23462
09-07-2004, 07:53 AM
sooo busy with beading and glassblowing need to do 2 replies so this first one is some of my halloween beads...

jeffwelsh23462
09-07-2004, 07:56 AM
my next reply with the rest i hope it all can fit if not will do another reply...

KellyD
09-07-2004, 08:10 AM
Jeff- Those Halloween beads are too cute!
Lot's of Christmas beads for me yesterday, and a super busy day ahead.
Happy day everyone,
Kelly

Josie
09-07-2004, 08:14 AM
Josie, that Raku Frit is to die for!! Are you posting those on Ebay? Considre them sold!! Please PM me if they are not on Ebay. I'd like to purchase them if they are no spoken for....

Blessings,
Vangie
;)

Well thank you so much! You guys give me the warm fuzzies with those wonderful compliments.
Yes Vangie, they are on Ebay and the auction ends this weekend. I have to say the outcome of the set was unexpected because I was going for another look. That is the neat thing about that raku frit. It's like magic. :evil:
Tracey

GinaJ
09-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Hey, it's definitely fall around here!!!! Everyone's beads are gorgeous, love the booger bead!!
Here's mine, Moretti lt emerald, teal:

dogmaw
09-07-2004, 09:10 AM
Here is a piece of fused glass... silver stars, dichroic glass, and leftover stringers.

Jo

shaneanth
09-07-2004, 09:30 AM
those are all beautifull as usual.

I saw an entrapment on a book cover once, tried to do that, the beads on the inside are small so they are not actually trapped, I'll try it again later....

starlightdesigns
09-07-2004, 10:20 AM
I cannot get over the amazing stuff we're seeing the S &T today! Wow!!! All of the Halloween and Christmas beads are awesome. I'm just gonna have to try making some! I wish I could comment on everyone's but I've got my hands full this morning... But I will say, Josie, I can't get over those Raku beads. I've seen a lot of examples of what you can do with Raku frit, but you've taken them to a new level!!! And oh, Starlia, I just LOVE your leaf beads!!! Are those boro?

Here's mine from the other day... Moretti's bright violet, light sky blue, trans. pale lavender rose, trans. teal, trans. dk. amethyst...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/37248-dls181.jpg
Have a great day everyone!!! :wave:

saucy
09-07-2004, 10:24 AM
IAnd oh, Starlia, I just LOVE your leaf beads!!! Are those boro?
Wow Debby! Those are delicious. I almost licked the screen.

No the leaves are not boro. They are just light amber and frit mixed together for the most part. I'm just now starting to play with boro and it's very different. I have a huge learning curve there.

starlightdesigns
09-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Thank you for the nice comment, Starlia... and wow! If that's not boro, you're amazing! Talk about lickable!!! :clap:

TroyNC
09-07-2004, 10:34 AM
I don't have time to comment on all of them, except to say that they are all wonderful :clap:
Here's my contribution...my favorite frit set to date. Ivory, trans teal and aqua, silver and copper blue frit.

Lara
09-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Lots of pretties today.

starlightdesigns - I really like your set, those are my colors.

NikKi - very nice twisties, congrats.

Tracey - OMG your raku set is to die for. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

saucy - Very cool set. Is that raku too?

I have a coral bead here. The new coral, with intense black.

Lara

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/10029-Coral_Tear_Tuesday.jpg

saucy
09-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Lara,

The raku doesn't really work for that process. I put together some frit I had a long time ago and I don't even know what colors I have in there. It's well before raku but I did give raku a try. It didn't look so hot. Oh well there are so many other frits and rod colors we'll never run out of fun.

Starlia

Virginia L.
09-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi, Nikki, those are exciting - I love the rose color'd eyes on your froggie too, or is that lighting?
ooooooooo, Sheryll, dear me, that one is beyond spooky - I am not sure my coffee is gonna stay down, LOL
Dawn, very nice fall set - I don't think I would have ever thought of those colors together, works really well
Tracy, LOVE them all, but especially the last set - I have been stalking Val's web site, but I just don't seem to time it right
Nice work Daphne - glad you got your photo system worked out - really rich color combo
oooooooooooo, Kikki - LOVE that set of beads - the pixi dust really done quite a number on that glass doesn't it
GREAT beads, even greater GRANDCHILD!!!! what a cuty
Saucy, I can see why you wanted to capture those colors, those are beautiful
Jeff - well, very "ugly" work (actually cute)- I think that is a compliment??? I love the black and white set
Kelly, what a cheerful pile of beads - some of them look good enough to eat!!!
Gina, wonderful set of beads - the emerald and teal work very well
Jo, nice fusing job - I have GOT to see if my kiln can do that - does it have a hole somewhere, or do you have to wire it?
Very nice Shane, I did one of those - just one bead inside though
Debbie - WOW, those are beautiful - LOVE that combo
Brandie, I can see why that is your favorite set - WOW what colors
Lara - incredibly well shaped - great colors, just a wonderful bead
From me today, I was so happy when I got the kiln open, everything was A-ok as apposed to the other day when there was something wrong with everything - I LOVE this new sunshine star, and I made a gold fish, that puts a smile on my face, then a long twisted dot bead that I used ink blue on the top, my new favorite color - and a tab bead filled with reticino and dichro, I used my needle nose plyers and twisted things up a bit, I really LOVE twisting that glass - Get to hang out with other lampworkers today - so I am a happy girl - have a GREAT day - Virginia L.

elif
09-07-2004, 11:27 AM
hey - i haven't posted here in quite some time, but i felt the need to respond to this particular show & tell. i was sitting down w/ my first cup of coffee & scrolling through images when i saw jeff's work. (i'm not sure how to quote the picture - sorry.)

now, i may be reading into the work - but my first impression of the black figure with big red lips holding a slice of watermelon was *not* a good one. my heart sank and i started getting really angry. did *no one* else have the same reaction? it's the same feeling i got when i was browsing through an 'antique' store and found a huge collection of mammy cookie jars and paraphernalia - all newly made items. my boyfriend tried to explain to the store owner how disgusted he was & she just didn't get it.

so jeff, *please* tell me you didn't set out to make a racist piece of glass. to be honest, it doesn't really matter. whether or not you realize this, it's a sculptural representation of a racist stereotype, and it's just not cool.

elif

jeffwelsh23462
09-07-2004, 11:38 AM
hey - i haven't posted here in quite some time, but i felt the need to respond to this particular show & tell. i was sitting down w/ my first cup of coffee & scrolling through images when i saw jeff's work. (i'm not sure how to quote the picture - sorry.)

now, i may be reading into the work - but my first impression of the black figure with big red lips holding a slice of watermelon was *not* a good one. my heart sank and i started getting really angry. did *no one* else have the same reaction? it's the same feeling i got when i was browsing through an 'antique' store and found a huge collection of mammy cookie jars and paraphernalia - all newly made items. my boyfriend tried to explain to the store owner how disgusted he was & she just didn't get it.

so jeff, *please* tell me you didn't set out to make a racist piece of glass. to be honest, it doesn't really matter. whether or not you realize this, it's a sculptural representation of a racist stereotype, and it's just not cool.

elif
ok, i didn't want to offend anyone! i just was making crazy halloween things and it's meant for Halloween NOT RACIAL AT ALL! I am upset by that notion COMPLETELY!
I was gonna take it off but it won't allow me too.
Sorry to anyone it might have offened, it wasn't meant for that AT ALL. It's just something crazy for HALLOWEEN!

!Karen
09-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Jeff,

I thought it was a vampire bat holding a witch's disco party hat.

I always see the good in things and usually have to have people point out the odd or bad.

If it bothers you ask on of the moderators to pull the picture for you, however, I certainly don't see it as anything offensive. I'd really have to stretch my imagination for it to offend me.

TroyNC
09-07-2004, 11:49 AM
ok, i didn't want to offend anyone! i just was making crazy halloween things and it's meant for Halloween NOT RACIAL AT ALL! I am upset by that notion COMPLETELY!
I was gonna take it off but it won't allow me too.
Sorry to anyone it might have offened, it wasn't meant for that AT ALL. It's just something crazy for HALLOWEEN!
Jeff,
I wasn't offended at all, I thought he was a little demon, eating watermelon...although I must admit a tad bit of confusion of watermelon/halloween :confused:
I can see where, it could be thought of as "racial". However, I believe that it was made with the best of intentions and hope that we haven't scared you off from posting future beads here, to share with us :eek:

elif
09-07-2004, 11:52 AM
jeff,

thanks for responding - that does make me feel better. i just wanted to post & let you know that some people *will* react the same way i did (especially if it's for sale on ebay). i wouldn't have felt that way if he'd been holding a pumpkin or if he'd been white/orange/purple/any other color. intention doesn't always equal reaction.

also, i firmly believe that it's up to the people with the privilege to do the work. people of color don't get to ignore racism. that's why a (half-turkish) white girl like myself needs to speak up & educate when i see other people perpetuating those stereotypes - intentional or not.

i do quite like your orange figure, actually. i think he's quite cool & i would love to see more of your sculptural work.

elif

Virginia L.
09-07-2004, 11:56 AM
biting my tongue, biting my tongue, biting my tongue :confused:

Lee Ann Anderson
09-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Hi All--Lots of great beads and other glasswork today. I have a question for Brandie, though. I really love your frit set and wonder if you could post any more details about how you made it(?) Does the "silver" refer to silver blue frit or to silver leaf? Your base was ivory and then you added swirls of transparent teal and aqua?
Thanks for posting such a beautiful set!---------Lee Ann Anderson

jeffwelsh23462
09-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Trust me, I don't want to OFFEND ANYONE.
I am just an artist trying new and different things...and my daughter is the one who came up with the idea... she said make a scary black pig w/ blood on it's lips and holdin' something. so i did it!
it will be in my personal collection, i won't list it on ebay becuz i don't want it to be taken wrong at all! ;)

jeffwelsh23462
09-07-2004, 12:00 PM
biting my tongue, biting my tongue, biting my tongue :confused:please if it's about my work, please speak your mind!

TroyNC
09-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Hi All--Lots of great beads and other glasswork today. I have a question for Brandie, though. I really love your frit set and wonder if you could post any more details about how you made it(?) Does the "silver" refer to silver blue frit or to silver leaf? Your base was ivory and then you added swirls of transparent teal and aqua?
Thanks for posting such a beautiful set!---------Lee Ann Anderson
Thank-You! Always glad to share :D

Start with a base of ivory
roll in silver foil (don't melt in)
Swipe on some Transparent Teal & Transparent Aqua
melt in
roll in Copper Blue Frit
melt in...I like to get it pretty hot at this point to get my silver to pop out in small little beads...
The beads that are "lighter" had less copper frit, applied.

Hope this helps :wave:

saucy
09-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Trust me, I don't want to OFFEND ANYONE.
I am just an artist trying new and different things...and my daughter is the one who came up with the idea... she said make a scary black pig w/ blood on it's lips and holdin' something. so i did it!
it will be in my personal collection, i won't list it on ebay becuz i don't want it to be taken wrong at all! ;)

I think it's sweet to know you as a dad take your daughters ideas and make them into reality. Good for you. I liked your bead. I actually thought it was a cat or goblin.

Virginia L.
09-07-2004, 12:20 PM
please if it's about my work, please speak your mind!

Tomorrow Jeff - I just wrote something and it just got bad - I am gonna stick my own quote in my face, believe your intentions, and relax and have a good day - you have one too - God Bless - Virginia L.

koregon
09-07-2004, 12:21 PM
Day after labor day...wow...the summer is.........gone :confused: where did it go??? well here is another set of Raku stringer squeeze...that I think are great beads for summer into fall ...fall into winter...winter into spring LOL...I love that raku stuff. and some lavender......have a great day everyone...I was told by my biz partner "dan" that my office needs...ummmmmmm cleaned...so.....heck, isn't he suppose to be the silent partner??? guess I should clean it up...Nurse Katie can be witness..."it is a mess!" grrrrrrrrr have a good day all! thanks for the coffee and pretties this morning...gotta go check out Jeff's bracelets...I have been searching for the right one....I would like to believe that Jeff didn't mean to offend anyone. Its possible ya know.

TroyNC
09-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Day after labor day...wow...the summer is.........gone :confused: where did it go??? well here is another set of Raku stringer squeeze...that I think are great beads for summer into fall ...fall into winter...winter into spring LOL...I love that raku stuff. and some lavender......have a great day everyone...I was told by my biz partner "dan" that my office needs...ummmmmmm cleaned...so.....heck, isn't he suppose to be the silent partner??? guess I should clean it up...Nurse Katie can be witness..."it is a mess!" grrrrrrrrr have a good day all! thanks for the coffee and pretties this morning...gotta go check out Jeff's bracelets...I have been searching for the right one.
I REALLY need to clean my house and make beads......
but can I say that I love the Raku, squeezed beads?!!!!! I really need to get some of that frit!!!

mtbarr
09-07-2004, 12:30 PM
"now, i may be reading into the work - but my first impression of the black figure with big red lips holding a slice of watermelon was *not* a good one. my heart sank and i started getting really angry. did *no one* else have the same reaction? it's the same feeling i got when i was browsing through an 'antique' store and found a huge collection of mammy cookie jars and paraphernalia - all newly made items. my boyfriend tried to explain to the store owner how disgusted he was & she just didn't get it. "

Not any different than an Indian in a feathered war bonnet or a wooden painted older lady bending over in a garden with her bloomers showing. Jeff, take your art where it leads you!!

elif
09-07-2004, 01:07 PM
[/QUOTE]Not any different than an Indian in a feathered war bonnet or a wooden painted older lady bending over in a garden with her bloomers showing. Jeff, take your art where it leads you!![/QUOTE]

i feel i have to respond to this. please note that i am *not* talking about jeff's work any more, but the quote above. and - a disclaimer - i often feel very nervous having these discussions, especially online. there's a common misconception that any opposing viewpoint isn't 'nice', and therefore should be ignored or dismissed. it makes people uncomfortable to have discussions about racism. it makes *me* uncomfortable; i wish that it didn't exist and that i didn't *have* to discuss it. i have always made every attempt to keep my posts civil and non-inflammatory, and will continue to do so. but i will not bite my tongue or keep quiet about something that i feel is wrong.

the 'mammy' image *is* a racist image. it's based on a stereotype of black people as servants and slaves. and there's a difference between *using* that image to convey a particular message about racism (as thora birch's character did in ghost world, and as joyce scott explores with her beadwork), and perpetuating that image as acceptable or true. it makes me feel icky because it's deliberately nasty and derogatory. i don't see that 'taking your art where it leads you' means that it's acceptable to reinforce racist imagery.

my grandmother had a script of a play called 'the darktown jamboree', which was passed on to me when she died. it was written to be enacted by white people in blackface, and is chock-full of stereotypes of black people as stupid, ignorant, lazy, and not in control of their sexual impulses. it's a nasty thing - yes, it should be acknowledged (and not ignored) as part of a shameful history. but it shouldn't be performed today. that's why the 'antique' store goods really shocked me - they weren't antiques, but were new, mass-produced items. i'm constantly amazed that people can breezily dismiss racism as though it was wiped out entirely long ago. it's still alive and thriving, and it surfaces in many ways.

i believe that jeff had good intentions, and i'm not trying to 'scare him away', attack him, or silence his artistic voice. i'm reacting to *one* piece of work that made me feel angry and sad. i hope that's understood.

elif

Adriana_S
09-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Love seeing everyone's beads. I finally got to torch after being gone for three days...although it was worth it, because I got to see my sweet baboo!!!
Here's my beads.... typical multi-colored etched beads..and my sweet baboo !!

awwwwwww Harriet his mouth looks like a little pucker! I just want to kiss him! (and then put him in my pocket and run away)

great beads today everyone!!!!

BeadBraker
09-07-2004, 01:45 PM
Great show and tell!!

Love the raku frit beads by Kaye (although I OWN raku frit, apparantly it only behaves like this for nice people like Kaye!)

I LOVE the sweet baboo....I want one I want one I want one!! wahhh!!
I love babies, only have one gorgeous son, and I am such a selfish mommy that I would love another! :-) I think your absolute joy in the sweet baboo is lovely, and EXACTLY what every child should have in a Grandma.

Elif: I think it is fine for people to have different reactions to art. I think it is good that you brought attention to a "unexpected" interpretation of someone's art, and it helps an artist to hear reactions. Jeff explained his intention and graciously stated he intended to keep it in his own collection. I think we all profit from hearing reactions whether intentional or not. Obviously this issue is a "hot button" for you, thus the strong emotional reaction. That is fine too....but some folks might *hear* your strong conviction as an attack....which I don't think it was. I am glad this was resolved well.

My hot button is folks labeling "catch all leftover budget wonky UNWANTED beads" as "orphans" and "orphans for sale". I adopted an orphan. He is NOT leftover and imperfect or wonky! LOL! The word orphan s/be reserved for Children not for beads. If you ever saw starving orphan children sitting in an orphanage waiting for food or parents, you would NEVER use that word for something like beads. But there ya go....my hot button. :-) We all got'em.

GREAT SHOW AND TELL....I knew the after holiday one w/be great!
Nancy B in IL

KrisMcAllister
09-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Not biting my tounge...(lol Virginia). Although I probably should. Everytime I open my mouth on this site I seem to stick my foot in it.
I could not see how elif would have been offended by Jeffs post until I scrolled up and saw the little orange man holding the black pigs head. This kind of made me wonder....not one weird post that may be taken as racial but two...hmmmmm. Hey to each is own...If being racist was your intention Jeff, have it removed..its just not polite. If not and you were just being silly and not paying attention to colors....Awsome work!
Kris

jeffwelsh23462
09-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Not biting my tounge...(lol Virginia). Although I probably should. Everytime I open my mouth on this site I seem to stick my foot in it.
I could not see how elif would have been offended by Jeffs post until I scrolled up and saw the little orange man holding the black pigs head. This kind of made me wonder....not one weird post that may be taken as racial but two...hmmmmm. Hey to each is own...If being racist was your intention Jeff, have it removed..its just not polite. If not and you were just being silly and not paying attention to colors....Awsome work!
Kris

not being racist at all... IT'S HALLOWEEN, AREN'T YOU SUPPOSE TO THINK OF SILLY AND SCARY THINGS.... BOTH PIGS WERE SUPPOSE TO BE FRIGHTFUL... A ORANGE PIG HOLDING HIS VOODOO STYLE CRAZY MASK GOING TO A HALLOWEEN PARTY AND A BLACK PIG WITH GOORY BLOOD DRIPPING FROM HIS LIPS .... I GUESS I WAS JUST HAVING WAY TOO MUCH FUN CREATING MY HALLOWEEN THINGS...
TRUST ME, I'M NOT A RACIST AND IT OFFENDS ME TO CALLED ONE. :mad:

Nonie
09-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Jeff..I think you need not defend yourself anymore. Your art is that..art.
Love it!

WiredWomanDesign
09-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Great show and tell!!

snip
My hot button is folks labeling "catch all leftover budget wonky UNWANTED beads" as "orphans" and "orphans for sale". I adopted an orphan. He is NOT leftover and imperfect or wonky! LOL! The word orphan s/be reserved for Children not for beads. If you ever saw starving orphan children sitting in an orphanage waiting for food or parents, you would NEVER use that word for something like beads. But there ya go....my hot button. :-) We all got'em.

GREAT SHOW AND TELL....I knew the after holiday one w/be great!
Nancy B in IL

That's why I now call my singles "bachelor beads" not orphans. They just need to find the right person to be with :)

KrisMcAllister
09-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Wow...see what i mean. I was actually complementing you on your work Jeff. What I was trying to tell you is to just blow off what everyone is saying if its not so. I actually laughed my butt off when i saw the one above. And not because i took it as racisit but the fact that those who may precieve it as racist didn't pick upon that one. Geeez...chill out
Kris

WiredWomanDesign
09-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Here's one of my Labour Day sets. Black, wrapped in silver leaf, dotted with dk root beer brown and then slightly reduced. I haven't worked with leaf for awhile, it's interesting how different some of the reactions are when comparing foil with leaf!

rosiescreations
09-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Beautiful work everyone. I love Show and Tell.
But today was different and I can not sit here with out putting in my 2 cents.
And I don't mean to offend anyone. This is my opinion.

There are pink pigs, spotted pigs, black pigs. And pigs do love watermelon!

I can't believe you would come to show and tell and say something like that to Jeff.
If you feel so strongly, than maybe your energy would be better spent starting a Anti-Racist Action Chapter in your town. Put your energy into really helping with the Big picture.
Educating Jeff or an antique dealer or the rest of us on the stereotypes of black people depicted in cookie jars and black figures eating watermelon or folk art that has been around for years and is seen as art in many circles
is maybe a way to make you feel better and make you think you are making a difference in the world.
When you say things to people like that, believe me your not really making a difference.
Has anyone that you have said things to replied back to you that you have enlightened them and changed their view on the world. Probably not.

If you really feel strongely then write to your Senator about Nazism in America.
Put your energy into really helping.
Racist images are not limited to Blacks but also Asians, Indians, Mexicans and the list goes on.

The show and tell is to view others works of art.
Many people collect black figures in what ever form. Some of my friends(that are black) collect them, They are not racist.
Go out in the world and make a real difference, instead of "Educating" people on what really makes you feel better.
Again just my own opinion.

greatfindsct
09-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Wow beauties here today! I haven't posted some in a very very long time, so I thought I would today. I call them Dazed.
Cobalt base with silver foil, and some reduction stringers, reduced :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/32278-dazed1.jpg
Thanks for letting me share :)
Have a great day!

KrisMcAllister
09-07-2004, 03:08 PM
Beautiful work everyone. I love Show and Tell.
But today was different and I can not sit here with out putting in my 2 cents.
And I don't mean to offend anyone. This is my opinion.

There are pink pigs, spotted pigs, black pigs. And pigs do love watermelon!

I can't believe you would come to show and tell and say something like that to Jeff.
If you feel so strongly, than maybe your energy would be better spent starting a Anti-Racist Action Chapter in your town. Put your energy into really helping with the Big picture.
Educating Jeff or an antique dealer or the rest of us on the stereotypes of black people depicted in cookie jars and black figures eating watermelon or folk art that has been around for years and is seen as art in many circles
is maybe a way to make you feel better and make you think you are making a difference in the world.
When you say things to people like that, believe me your not really making a difference.
Has anyone that you have said things to replied back to you that you have enlightened them and changed their view on the world. Probably not.

If you really feel strongely then write to your Senator about Nazism in America.
Put your energy into really helping.
Racist images are not limited to Blacks but also Asians, Indians, Mexicans and the list goes on.

The show and tell is to view others works of art.
Many people collect black figures in what ever form. Some of my friends(that are black) collect them, They are not racist.
Go out in the world and make a real difference, instead of "Educating" people on what really makes you feel better.
Again just my own opinion.
Well said Patty!! Now lets all move on and see some more beads!!!!
Kris

TroyNC
09-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Wow beauties here today! I haven't posted some in a very very long time, so I thought I would today. I call them Dazed.

Have a great day!
I'm "DAZED" looking at those! Grat job :clap: :clap: :clap:

Orca
09-07-2004, 03:13 PM
What a great show and tell today! I rarely make florals, this one was for an exchange buddy, and I was happy with how it turned out.

sdbq
09-07-2004, 03:39 PM
Well said Pattie! My thoughts exactly. I rarely post in the forums, preferring instead to be an admiring lurker, but the idea that Jeff has to defend his intentions because some people might view them as racist is really offensive to me and has no place in this forum. This forum is a place to admire other people's creativity not the place to "educate" people on racism. If you absolutely have to say something along those lines, put it in the glass lobby labeled OT.

Lisa

P.S. Jeff you should put those up on ebay. Don't let other people's hyper-sensitivity censor your work. How sad.

jeffwelsh23462
09-07-2004, 04:08 PM
I just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone has sent me PM'S and just encouraged me to continue on with my art! I appreciate everyone's replies good and bad, that's what the show n tell's about... show what you are talented enough to make and tell how you made it and see and hear people's opinion! That's AMERICA! Again thank you to everyone for the kind show of support! :clap: AND the beads will go on ebay TONIGHT! :wave: :D

CharleneN
09-07-2004, 04:17 PM
"now, i may be reading into the work - but my first impression of the black figure with big red lips holding a slice of watermelon was *not* a good one. my heart sank and i started getting really angry. did *no one* else have the same reaction? "

Wow. All I saw was a halloween cat with funky tee shirt on.

BeadBraker
09-07-2004, 04:24 PM
THANKS Susan B!! Bachelor Beads is a good name....I like it!!!

Whenever I see ebay folks offering a clearance and cleverly avoiding the term "orphan" I am always impressed. WAY TO GO!
Nancy B in IL

elif
09-07-2004, 04:30 PM
i'm sorry that my post has divided this thread into me vs. everyone else. i'm not a mean-spirited person, and certainly wasn't attacking anyone. i spoke up because i felt that it was necessary to do so. i'm not calling jeff a racist, and didn't take issue with anything other than *one* piece of work. my post was based on my own perceptions. i understand that other people may see it differently. i believe him when he says it was never his intention to offend. i'm not "hyper-sensitive", either - i don't go sniffing around for racist imagery on my lunch breaks. i saw something that evoked a response, and i responded.

it's interesting that other people have responded by intimating that i should shut up, go away, and do some "real" work, as though writing to my senator would be effective or useful in this instance. i feel that it's important to stand up for what i believe in, *at the time* that i notice something that's offensive. if someone tells a racist/sexist/homophobic joke in front of me, should i keep my mouth shut, for fear of offending *them*? do i really expect them to thank me? no. but i expect that they've been alerted to the fact that their words / images may be hurtful.

yes, this forum is about glass. my post was about a work in glass that i felt was offensive - therefore, it was perfectly appropriate and relevant to the subject matter.

i said what i had to say concerning jeff's work. i also made some nice comments about his other figure. i was never nasty or rude, but some of the responses aimed at me have been, and i'm not really interested in 'discussion' of that nature.

*we now return you to your regularly scheduled show and tell.*

elif

CharleneN
09-07-2004, 04:34 PM
OOPS! Meant to mention everyone elses beads...they are just gorgeous! Too many great ones to mention individually, but this has been one awesome show and tell. :clap: :clap: :clap:

redayh
09-07-2004, 04:38 PM
i'm sorry that my post has divided this thread into me vs. everyone else. i'm not a mean-spirited person, and certainly wasn't attacking anyone. i spoke up because i felt that it was necessary to do so. i'm not calling jeff a racist, and didn't take issue with anything other than *one* piece of work. my post was based on my own perceptions. i understand that other people may see it differently. i believe him when he says it was never his intention to offend. i'm not "hyper-sensitive", either - i don't go sniffing around for racist imagery on my lunch breaks. i saw something that evoked a response, and i responded.

it's interesting that other people have responded by intimating that i should shut up, go away, and do some "real" work, as though writing to my senator would be effective or useful in this instance. i feel that it's important to stand up for what i believe in, *at the time* that i notice something that's offensive. if someone tells a racist/sexist/homophobic joke in front of me, should i keep my mouth shut, for fear of offending *them*? do i really expect them to thank me? no. but i expect that they've been alerted to the fact that their words / images may be hurtful.

yes, this forum is about glass. my post was about a work in glass that i felt was offensive - therefore, it was perfectly appropriate and relevant to the subject matter.

i said what i had to say concerning jeff's work. i also made some nice comments about his other figure. i was never nasty or rude, but some of the responses aimed at me have been, and i'm not really interested in 'discussion' of that nature.

elif

Don't worry elif. I got where you were coming from. You have a right to express your opinions. And NO, you shouldn't keep your mouth shut when something offends you.

Going back to lurkdom now.

Sarita

Beth Myers
09-07-2004, 06:16 PM

elif

Elif,
Social consciousness is an admirable quality. It doesn't belong in the Showcase Forum. If you need emotional validation on this, please post in the Dabate forum:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Taking my magical guide cap off here...........A private message to Jeff would have accomplished your objective in a respectful, adult manner. To publicly transmit presumptious claims and admonitions of guilt is more for your ego than any righting of wrongs, real or imagined, based on notions without sufficient basis. You know better, and to throw out the "I have my right to speak my mind card" is a cheap ploy, Jeff has his right to post here without fear of attack. And attack is just what you did. If you feel the need to reply, you of course can pm me, anytime. I don't think we need to burden the others with this any longer.
Beth

rosiescreations
09-07-2004, 06:18 PM
I'm sorry you feel this way

i'm sorry that my post has divided this thread into me vs. everyone else

If you feel uncomfortable maybe you should not have opened the can of worms.

i often feel very nervous having these discussions, especially online. there's a common misconception that any opposing viewpoint isn't 'nice', and therefore should be ignored or dismissed. it makes people uncomfortable to have discussions about racism. it makes *me* uncomfortable;

There are people who talk about doing things and do it
If you don't try then you won't know what can be done.

I'm not talking about writing your Senator about Jeff's artwork, I'm talking about trying to make a difference in racism. If all the energy you want to put out is telling people what they should sell and what to make and how these images make you feel, but not get out and make a difference, I think that is selfserving

it's interesting that other people have responded by intimating that i should shut up, go away, and do some "real" work, as though writing to my senator would be effective or useful in this instance.

I also have a opinion, rather its right or wrong it is mine.

Just because a figure of a black pig is holding watermelon does not make it racist.

Now if that pig had been a black boy holding a piece of watermelon I could easily have seen why you would of been offended.

I don't wish to offend anyone. I'm not telling anyone to shut up, but when you make your opinion known than be prepared to have other people have opinions too.
But I would like to know if you feel so strongly about sterotypes do you laugh at hillbilly or redneck jokes.

PatNewMex
09-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Showing and Telling about our glass art

Isn't the purpose of this thread/forum is for sharing artwork and being a happy and creative community? I come to the "Show and Tell" Thread to forget about my troubles, become inspired and see a lot of cool eye candy, not read about an on-line misunderstanding or argument, no matter how worthy the cause. Beth said it most succinctly.

Next time, perhaps a private message to the person would work better??

Patricia :confused:

Lenda
09-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Wow. Lot's of views of the glass posted today, lot's of beautiful work. I for one aren't going to add anything to it but WILL ask that we don't carry on about it any more. This forum isn't to pick sides, nor is it a place to feel isolated. So people, lets get onto the glass aspect of it, OK? :)

Beth Myers
09-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Lenda,
I do believe we've killed this thread!
Come on back guys, the water's fine.
Beth

dillingham
09-07-2004, 10:14 PM
Wow, Lenda and Beth, I didn't know you both tap danced. Nice leg's to boot!!! I just wanted to let you both know how much I respect you for steping in and settling the waters on a regular basis!!!

Dilly

CalmWaterStudio
09-07-2004, 10:40 PM
Y'all, I don't have any pictures made of my beads tonight.. my Mama's been with me recovering from surgery, and well... I've just made beads and been with my family and her. (She's doing GREAT, by the way... and thank you SO much for those of you who have been praying for her... it was cancer. BUT... all of the tissue around the tumor and the lympth nodes were squeaky CLEAN!!!)

ANYWAY... yep, rambling.... MY eye-candy for you guys tonight is a set of beads that I've been drooling over since I saw them. No... maybe even LUSTING AFTER is a better way to describe them... they are gorgeous. Have a look.....

If I die tonight... SOMEBODY buy these and bury them with me!!!!!! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34070&item=4923525634&rd=1)

Beth Myers
09-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Gigi,
Great about your "Momma", wink.
So happy the report came with such good news!
You all stay dry up there, looks like Avery and Burke are getting some flooding. Take care,
love,
Beth

jamilyn
09-07-2004, 11:35 PM
ANYWAY... yep, rambling.... MY eye-candy for you guys tonight is a set of beads that I've been drooling over since I saw them. No... maybe even LUSTING AFTER is a better way to describe them... they are gorgeous. Have a look.....

If I die tonight... SOMEBODY buy these and bury them with me!!!!!! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34070&item=4923525634&rd=1)

I love Gina's work - I am fortunate enough to own a beautiful floral vessel of hers and it is a prize of my collection :)

I think that I have to put my 2 cents in. Expressing a reaction to a piece of art is not a bad thing. I think it was fine until everyone else started jumping in and was negative and b*tchy. I have learned a lot about some people and it's not all good.

Lee Ann Anderson
09-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Hi All---Brandie, thanks for the extra info about how you made your frit beads. I can't believe I haven't been able to post before --I've been at hospital, and this place is a mess!!!!!! :rolleyes:
I did manage to make a bead using your directions late last night. It turned out quite "interesting" :eek: I was just too tired to make beads last night. So---I will try again tonight :) I can envision a whole bunch of these beads made with different accent colors. Have you tried other colors or have any to recommend?
Thanks again, Lee Ann

TroyNC
09-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Hi All---Brandie, thanks for the extra info about how you made your frit beads. I can't believe I haven't been able to post before --I've been at hospital, and this place is a mess!!!!!! :rolleyes:
I did manage to make a bead using your directions late last night. It turned out quite "interesting" :eek: I was just too tired to make beads last night. So---I will try again tonight :) I can envision a whole bunch of these beads made with different accent colors. Have you tried other colors or have any to recommend?
Thanks again, Lee Ann
I would love to see what you come up with!!!!
All blues, greens and purples are nice :wink2:

Moth
09-08-2004, 09:40 PM

Have a great day!

These are gorgeous!! :clap: :clap:

Also, there was a floral that isn't showing up on my page that I believe was an Orca bead (dang my memory!!!). I just wanted to say what a beautiful bead that was and what a great photo too. I wish I could capture the light like that. :clap: :clap:

~~Mary

Peg
09-09-2004, 12:04 PM
I grew up when all this racial stuff wasn't in front and center. Near the edge of Seattle they had a huge restaurant in the shape of a black man and you walked in the door which was his very large mouth. The title of the place was Coon Chicken Inn. I was probably around 13 years old and I had no racial feelings, just saw it as a novel thing. Good that they do not have any of them now. What a commotion they would cause. I looked at Jeff's beads and moved on not placing any feeling or judgments on them. It looked like Halloween stuff to me and typical. I do not like Halloween anymore although I did all the usual stuff and celebrated it like anyone else when my children were young. Made costumes for them and dressed them as clown and little ringmaster and took them trick or treating etc. Was a cake dec. for a store for 33 years and make great Caspers but hated witches although I had to do them. Now as a Christian I realize it is Satan's holiday (he is very clever and makes it so fun) and do not celebrate it anymore, but do not put this on others as that is their choice to do what they want. Same with the beads. You can look at them as art or whatever that is your choice. Peg M

Galadriel
09-09-2004, 11:02 PM
I can see how someone might be offended but the bead has pig ears, a big fat pig nose, two toes on hands and feet, and looks like a pig!! If course, I have never really seen a pure black pig, but I think everything else is perfectly pig-like.

Renee

Chickebeadz
09-09-2004, 11:57 PM
not being racist at all... IT'S HALLOWEEN, AREN'T YOU SUPPOSE TO THINK OF SILLY AND SCARY THINGS.... BOTH PIGS WERE SUPPOSE TO BE FRIGHTFUL... A ORANGE PIG HOLDING HIS VOODOO STYLE CRAZY MASK GOING TO A HALLOWEEN PARTY AND A BLACK PIG WITH GOORY BLOOD DRIPPING FROM HIS LIPS .... I GUESS I WAS JUST HAVING WAY TOO MUCH FUN CREATING MY HALLOWEEN THINGS...
TRUST ME, I'M NOT A RACIST AND IT OFFENDS ME TO CALLED ONE. :mad:

Good grief.....It wasn't intended to be racial Jeff has already said that. It maybe taken that way but he said it was truly unintentional.....Gosh, the guy didn't mean it to read that way. Cut him some slack. GEEEEZZZZZZ......Like your artistic vision(the people who are all worked up) is always read the exactly the way you intended it. Jeff you're a great artist! Put that one in the personal collection and get back to the torch! I love your postings, I look forward to them.
Heather