PDA

View Full Version : 2 new acrylic landscapes

edzstudios
09-06-2004, 11:02 PM
just 2 quick landscapes, both 9x12, acrylic on masonite, done with the painting knife... comments/critiques?

Laura Morena
09-06-2004, 11:59 PM
Nice texture in both landscapes! :clap:
IMO: On the first one the tree would read better if anchored with a larger, darker shadow.
In the second one, I like the way that you suggested the sky and the water. The lighthouse appears a bit flat to me. Maybe a darker shadow where it turns away from the sun to round it out a bit. (Or perhaps that is just the way I am seeing it on my monitor.) The grasses in the foreground should point the eye toward the focal point...maybe have some more on an angle toward the light house to move the eye up and around the painting.
Nice pieces.
I really like the eBay seascape that you had for sale (the one that you were having trouble with the auction text.)
Keep up the nice work! :)

mooz49
09-07-2004, 02:37 AM
I think they are both great and they make me want to paint with a knife too. I love this sort of painting.

ExpressiveAngie
09-07-2004, 07:48 AM
:clap:
You really know how to wield that palette knife!

jbitzel
09-07-2004, 08:09 AM
The colors realy make these paintings work. :clap:

hoski
09-07-2004, 10:09 AM
The texture is awesome, I know I might find answer about palette knives elsewhere, but how do you do it?
Fantastic, only thing I can think of is where the lighthouse and the clouds meet, not straight enough I think, but overall a very big :clap:

edzstudios
09-07-2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the comments all! -
Laura: I appreciate the critiques, definitely agree... I might try and change the lighthouse, but the one downside to painting like this (very thick alla prima) is that it is virtually impossible to make changes once the piece is dry, since it is so thick and textured...

Hoski: for me the key to doing these paintings is the medium- you need the paint to be a buttery consistency to spread evenly and hold the strokes, while remaining "open" and workable for a while. I use Golden's "High solid gel medium" as my base, it is a very smooth, thick medium that holds marks well, I also add a bit of utrecht's "gel retarder" to increase open time and sometimes a bit of golden's "glazing liquid" (just a tiny bit). when mixed with the paint, this gives a very creamy mixture that spreads well, and holds its form. Usually I start by sketching in the rough scene with a pencil, right on the canvas or masonite. sometimes I block in major masses of color with a brush, just to get a sense of form but often I just start laying the paint right in "alla prima". I use 3 painting knives primarily, a long straight one with rounded tip, a long diamond (thin) and a short diamond. I find this allows me to make various strokes from smooth spreading to small marks and lines. I put the paint on THICK, often blending it right on the canvas with the knife (which makes nice "broken color" effects") and basically just keep laying it on until I like what I see :-)

sassybird
09-07-2004, 12:50 PM
I can't decide on which of these I like the most. The lighthouse with the waves pounding the cliff is filled with raw energy that is very appealing to me. But I also like the serenity of the other with all the trees and a path leading to my imagination:) Good work with a pallette knife.

Just Crystal
09-07-2004, 02:19 PM
Great texture on these, I like the loose feel. Your'e pretty handy with those pallete knives... I can barely mix with them, 3/4 of the time, I use the back of a paintbrush!

FunkMasterJ
09-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Very Nice, You did a Great job using the Painting Knife. I'm New here and this is My frist time Posting in this Forum. I recently order a Wet Canvas Carrier and a short while ago ordered a Portable Eseal. I have Acrylics and when I get a Chance I'm going to order some Gouache Paints. I only have a few Acrylics that I did when I was in school and haven't gotton around to posting yet. So much to do, Anyway I loved your Paintings.
Joe :cat:

DeusExMachina
09-09-2004, 04:11 AM
I love the first painting. very warm, very serene.
I don't understand the second painting. The sky is in turmoil, the sea is raging with white heads, yet the reeds in the foreground seem undisturbed. I would expect to see them bend down to the winds as well.