PDA

View Full Version : Gilmore's Mistake wip

Marge Cline
09-06-2004, 10:43 PM
Well, after trying oil pastels for awhile, I'm back to the softies. I have painted this same rapids twice in acrylics and thought I'd like to try it in pastels. No reference picture needed. I've run it in my kayak or canoe so many times I think I know every rock! It's on the Wolf River in northern Wisconsin and is called Gilmore's Mistake. One of my very favorite places in the whole world.

CarlyHardy
09-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Hi Marge!
Doesn't look like a mistake so far!! :) Looking forward to seeing more. I especially like the rocks on the left.
carly

Marge Cline
09-07-2004, 01:08 AM
time to quit for the night. This makes me want to go to Wisconsin again!
C & C welcome and appreciated.

khourianya
09-07-2004, 08:23 AM
This is already looking so very pretty. I will definitely be checking back in to see how it progresses :)

Deborah Secor
09-07-2004, 11:38 AM
Marge, I'm anxious to see what you have planned here. Looking good so far. :) What size is this one, and what paper are you using?

I'm curious, do you find working with both soft and oil pastels to be confusing--or does it keep you fresh?

Hope you show us your continuing progress...

Deborah

Marge Cline
09-07-2004, 10:34 PM
got this far, now for the fun part, putting in the whitewater. I'm using Canson paper (the only kind I have around here) and mostly Rembrants.
To answer your question re: softies vs. oils...I really like the softies better, seems they are faster to use and the colors are more vivid. Also much more erasable. :>) The oils are really challenging because I haven't quite figured out how to get the effects I want on the water. I've spent so many years on the lakes and rivers, I generally paint what I know or else imagine a river and paint the rapids in a way that makes them a challenging run for a canoe or kayak...unless I work on an unrunnable waterfall. I love watching water flow and trying to capture that movement and make it stop in a painting.

Khadres
09-07-2004, 11:50 PM
This is coming along nicely! Can't wait to see the white water!

Marge Cline
09-08-2004, 03:45 PM
it's finished. Had to make a couple of changes to the rocks on the right but these were easy enough. Watcha think???

Khadres
09-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Really nice! Looks like a lovely place for a picnic! Wonderful job!

prestonsega
09-09-2004, 03:06 AM
The white rapids are very believable...I can almost hear the water rushing over the submerged rocks!

SweetBabyJ
09-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Yep- looks like a place I wouldn't go swimming in.....

bubblebubblebubblebubble*bloop*HELP!bubblebubblebubble*bloop*HELP!....