PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Lewis Caricature Portrait

Art_man
09-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi Everyone,

I decided to do a caricature/portrait of one of my parent's favorite comedians, Jerry Lewis. I decided to do this because we have a family tradition to watch the Jerry Lewis Labor Day MDA Telethon. Though I don't really know much about Jerry Lewis, though my parents have most of his movies on video - he is very funny. Anyways, I hope everyone likes it. Please, comments, feedback, and suggestions are welcome. Oh, this is also an early picture which I got off the internet.

Thanks,
Ricky :)

coolray
09-09-2004, 06:12 PM
Honestly Art Man you seem to amaze me all the time! Your execution of this piece is fantastic! I can see that it looks like Jerry. That's the good part. Now you have to fine tune the off set and skewed features. But not bad at all!

From my view, just to let you know what I see, His eye on my left, seems too low and out of proportion. The other eye really looks good!

His smile is not right. One thing is that it may curve up too much as a perfect semi-circle. I would have to see the original pic in order to see what it needs for correction.

Those are just what I see at first glance. My one greatest comment, is the way you penciled this. You did a fantastic job overall.

Terry

Art_man
09-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Hi Terry,

thanks so much....Here's the reference picture. I know Jerry Lewis because my parents love him and have most of his movies on video. We have a family tradition where every Labor Day we watch the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon. At our church my mom sells brownies, pies, cookies and my dad, who is a fire fighter, works every year on the "Fill the Boot" campaign. I've posted the reference picture and my drawing side by side for a better critique. Thanks so much again for the encouragement and kind words.

Ricky :)

coolray
09-15-2004, 12:48 PM
Artman,

Thank you for sending this photo. Now if you would like, I would point out a few things, and see if you agree. Oh, and one way to get better at anything is to do it again from a new approach to see if you can correct any mistakes. I am only doing this right now, because you have shown vast improvement from your first post, so I hope you take this with kindness. 'Cause I am giving it in that way.

The first thing that got me was the eyes. I knew something was wrong but could not place it until you sent the ref pic. When we laugh or smile widely, our eyes tend to close up. In your drawing, the eyes are pretty wide from top to bottom. That is my first asessment.

The mouth is another area that needed attention. There are little subtle curves and dips in the way the smile is on the ref pic. Not just a turned up bowl. Too exacting. Of course you know about the teeth. Don't do so much detail. let your lines fade is certain areas.

Overall, as I said in my other post, this is a great piece for where you are right now. I would talk about spreading your values some too. You need deeper tones to help round out the face, and give it more depth.

Ricky, I hope this will inspire you to do this pic again. I would love to see your progress. I may do one too, just to show you what I mean, if that is okay.

Keep up the good work!!!

Terry