PDA

View Full Version : Artspan vs Yessy

Jeanetted
09-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Can you tell me the advantages of using Artspan over Yessy as a website for displaying our art?

CEvans
09-08-2004, 09:28 AM
A major difference between Artspan and Yessy is that Artspan is a career management tool for artists as well as a website that we're working hard to optimize for high search ranking. Artspan members get their own URLs -- not simply pages on our site -- and the tools we provide enable them to manage and conduct email marketing campaigns and track their visitors. Yessy offers a very attractive annual fee, but whereas Artspan does not ask for commissions on anything you sell, Yessy does. Artspan does not offer a shopping cart feature because our members prefer to use the site to build clientele and manage their own sales. Besides giving them an elegant platform from which to sell their art, we invest in marketing their sites through the major print and online art media and website optimization efforts.

Thanks for asking about Artspan. We'll be happy to answer any more questions or elaborate in more detail on Artspan vs. Yessy if you'd like us to.

Jbuddy
03-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Re: Artspan Vs. Yessy....

I read the reply regading the differences between Artspan & Yessy. Having a shopping cart feature on your site is a premium service.. all hosts charge additional fees for it. The extra charges range anywhere from $5.00 to $25.00 extra per month. The norm seems to be about $10.00. Perhaps the market that Artspan is "selling" to (artists) is unwilling to spend that kind of money in sufficient numbers to justify the costs of site administration....

It costs the hosting company more to run a server with shopping cart functionality... you also have to increase the security of the connection to 128 SSL....

jbuddy

GrafxPainter
03-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Why does Artspan charge twice as much as Yessy?
Especially since:
- Artspan doesn't even have a shopping cart
- You can't display as much art on Artspan (12 images on Artspan vs unlimited on Yessy)
- Artspan doesn't get as much traffic as Yessy (go to Alexa.com for traffic stats; Yessy gets 4x more traffic than Artspan)

Also, Yessy does allow artists to handle their own payment processing if they want; in which case, there is no "commission".

I don't get it. Artspan is more expensive, you can only display a few items, nothing can be purchased, and they get less traffic than Yessy. Am I missing something?

By the way, in regards to jbuddy's comment: I just did some research and Yessy doesn't charge anything for the shopping cart, so it has to be possible for Artspan (or any other host) to do the same thing without having to raise fees. Especially since Artspan is already twice as expensive as Yessy.

kiabgoa
05-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Why does Artspan charge twice as much as Yessy?
Especially since:
- Artspan doesn't even have a shopping cart
- You can't display as much art on Artspan (12 images on Artspan vs unlimited on Yessy)
- Artspan doesn't get as much traffic as Yessy (go to Alexa.com for traffic stats; Yessy gets 4x more traffic than Artspan)

Also, Yessy does allow artists to handle their own payment processing if they want; in which case, there is no "commission".

I don't get it. Artspan is more expensive, you can only display a few items, nothing can be purchased, and they get less traffic than Yessy. Am I missing something?

By the way, in regards to jbuddy's comment: I just did some research and Yessy doesn't charge anything for the shopping cart, so it has to be possible for Artspan (or any other host) to do the same thing without having to raise fees. Especially since Artspan is already twice as expensive as Yessy.

I signed up for both Artspan and Yessy and for the first 10 days or so on each I did absolutely no advertising or promotion at all. I did the shopping cart option on Yessy and set up my own shopping cart (with PayPal) on Artspan. I have originals, prints, and cards offered, with a price range of $700 down to $4 (all USD).

Within those first ten days the Yessy site had 51 unique visitors and 1877 hits. The first ten days of Artspan had 96 unique visitors and 1512 hits. Of Yessy's 51 unique visitors, 29 were on the first day; and of the 1877 hits, 641 were on the first day. Both unique visitors and hits dropped off very dramatically after that. The unique visitors and hits are more consistant throughout the ten days for Artspan. Within that first ten days I did make one sale through the Artspan site, none through Yessy.

I have now been on Artspan for approx. 6 weeks and have sold two originals, two prints, and about 50 cards. I'm also developing a nice email list of people who are interested in receiving updates when new work is put up, or for outside exhibitions, etc. I don't think that is a feature on the Yessy site (if it is, I haven't found it yet). I will point out that after the initial two weeks I spent tweaking my Artspan site to make it what I wanted, I have now begun to actively promote it, and that has made my unique visitors, hits, and sales really soar.

I have not yet begun to actively promote Yessy (I've only been on it just over two weeks). As it's relatively inexpensive, and I have already promoted my Artspan site as my main site, I will probably continue to use Yessy as an "extra" site, but not actively promote it much. I do plan to add a few paintings at a time to it (instead of adding a larger group), as adding new work seems to be the main way for people to find the work without wading through huge numbers of pages (over 39,000 paintings and prints....kinda hard to find mine :( ). There doesn't seem to be any type of artist directory, you just browse by catagory. I could hardly even find the work I knew was there (because I put it up!), so I would find it hard to direct someone to the site to look at the work.

Also, when I googled my artist's name the Artspan site came up in the first page; I looked through 60 pages and don't think I ever found the Yessy listing. Perhaps this was because the listing is quite new, but the Artspan one showed up in the first three pages of a google search I did within a couple of weeks after setting up the site.

Anyway, so far that's been my experience using the two sites.

Glaswerks
05-31-2005, 01:28 PM
I'd like to point out that while Yessy does charge a 10 percent fee (they don't call it a commission, but let's be real about that) for what they call the "transaction." This can be good or bad. If you are already considerably established as an artist, then you probably already have a credit card service like Propay or something along those lines. If not, Yessy might be a good alternative because that 10 percent fee takes care of Yessy processing the entire payment for you. This means that if someone issues a bad credit card payment, Yessy handles the headache, not you.

Stardreamer
10-10-2005, 02:39 PM
I do not know about Yessy but I have been running into all sorts of problems with Artspan. First off, all images go to one default page. You CANNOT make categories and split them up. As an example, I can't have a photography section or oils. It is all in one section. :(

Secondly, only 6 of your images are ever searchable. This means you need to constantly figure out which are your 6 best each time you upload in hopes you will drive more people from the artspan site to your personal gallery.

Lastly, you cannot code your website at all. For example, if you belong to a web ring in order to help drive business you cannot enter the code. Artspan has to do it for you.

At the moment, I am very torn about Artpsan.:confused:

Jeanetted
10-10-2005, 08:42 PM
I have not had any sales on Yessy, however, the site is quite easy to work with. I do refer people to it to view my art.
Jeanette

mandev
12-21-2005, 12:18 PM
I too had no luck on Yessey, and it has put me off paying to display work on these type of sites.
These type of sites take fees from artists to display their work, and in return it is only other artists who seem to visit the site.
Yessey also have a ridiculous way of displaying their work, and if you price your work at the cheapest or most expensive, then you are liable to get some exposure. Try searching for a print at 100 (pounds/dollars)

Sorry, I am suffering from SAD (seasonal affected disorder) syndrome in the UK. Winter is terrible - so just had to get it off my chest. (just joking about SAD)
Regards
Les

jerry lucey
04-17-2006, 04:41 PM
For me Yessy is a complete loss. Think about it...I paid and quickly loaded a few works and have never been able to get back into my own page. Calling my problem to the the attention of the people at Yessy has resulted in replies that fail to solve the problem. So much for doing business with Yessy, I have just given up on them.

jerry

ngothyeaun
04-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi everyone,

Greetings from Malaysia! This is my first post,I join Yessy in Jan 2006 and I just sold 2 originals and 1 print from Yessy few days ago.Everything goes smoothly except payment part.I sent off the paintings and the customer has received them but she didn't click the "Item Received" button,so I will only get paid from Yessy if the customer click that button,if she forgot,then yessy will sent 2 mails weekly to remind her.And if this continues and she has not click the button,yessy will only open an investigation after 30days,omg,that is way too long...

the programme is not bad but lack of communication like having a forum will be nice...

cheers,
Ngo Thye Aun
www.yessy.com/peanut-design

jerry lucey
04-28-2006, 04:19 PM
At first all was well with Yessy, then the system fell apart...I have not been able to open my account I paid for and the site has never been updated. All requests for assistance from Yessy get a reply that is not worth the time they took to reply. For me it is a dead issue. Artspan I have never used ...

I would love to see a (so called) online Gallery that was interested in the artists and their needs...jerry

jerry lucey
05-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Much for the great world of Wet Canvas. Yessy read my complaint and responded with information I could use. I say thanks to the person who read my comments on Wet Canvas and made this decision.

jerry lucey

Summer-time
05-30-2006, 01:29 PM
To clarify, Jerry was trying to sign in with the wrong username.

jerry lucey
05-30-2006, 02:00 PM
To clarify, yes that is true. But, he tried to get assistance from Yessy when it did not work and Yessy offered no real help. At 77 years of age it is no wonder that jerry had lost complete track that he even had another user name. He has said thank you to the person who finally paid some attention and called the solution to his attention. He just wonders why it took 6 months. It would be nice if Summer-Time could answer that one...jerry

drawn2
06-07-2006, 02:13 PM
whoops part of my messages is gone

:o :( :envy: Being of the B. C. (Before computers generation) I am lost in a way to show and sell my art work is there any site that any of you feel are successful?
I am on yessy but resigned today my 14th day hope that I won't be charged cause that will cause a $ bank problem.

[URL="http://www.boundlessgallery.com"] and they have an attractive site.
no sale so far and I have question on how many hits the nice thing is they are a small company and if you phone they answer and work on the needs
I know that they are in the plans to improve the site and I am hoping for the best www.boundlessgallery.com.

I made the mistake of thinking oh I remember yahoo had an add for $9.95 I will get a domain there cheap/ DON'T DO IT /the 9.95 add has a 25.00 fee attached then if you spend the 34.95 for the next up / grade you don't pay fee/ it takes up to 72 hours to activate well by then you have no way out no refund and no site well there is a 1 page under construction page referring you to your mail box you already had for free. I did every thing possible I filled out forms I went to help line waded thru pages of forms often repeated no service I keep ask and asking
I even tried to press the cancel button I got threatened I canceled that I would no longer be able to access. Also I would be charged renewal fees even if I canceled
In the end I call Boundless the owner of the company (Peter) answered the phone. I ask them to do what they could and help me get out of yahoo mess. Todd investigated and said no refund available I agreed to purchase the boundlessgallery web site I had built with them on a trial basis of 30 days at $ 79.00 additional dollars. Using the yahoo domain name
Now I am looking at a month if no sales are made that I will be in a $ crunch I live on SS. IT IS HARD ENOUGH WHEN YOU DON'T FEEL AS EVER EFFORT WAS WASTED I was wondering about e/ bay how are they problems and advise?

LemonAide
06-07-2006, 10:07 PM
To clarify, yes that is true. But, he tried to get assistance from Yessy when it did not work and Yessy offered no real help. At 77 years of age it is no wonder that jerry had lost complete track that he even had another user name. He has said thank you to the person who finally paid some attention and called the solution to his attention. He just wonders why it took 6 months. It would be nice if Summer-Time could answer that one...jerry

Jerry, since the question was raised in public, you're going to get a public answer, and then this will be the end of it. We're not going to continue to beat a dead dog.

You say Yessy offered no real help. However, you asked Yessy for help once, quote:
"have tried over and over to add new address and delete the old...what is wrong here, YOUR SYSTEM JUST PLAIN DOES NOT WORK...what happens now...jerry lucey"

That was your ENTIRE email. An extremely vague description of some possible issue. Do you honestly feel anyone could have accurately deciphered what the problem may have been?

Yessy responded that same day with different ideas of what could be wrong including:
- Try clearing your browsers cache and cookies.
- Try using a different browser or even a different computer if possible.
- If it works on a different computer, check your computer for viruses.

You then simply gave up when the first suggestions of a fix did not work and instead proceeded to publicly complain.

So why did it take 6 months? Perhaps Yessy should ask you that same question. From Yessy's standpoint, it took 6 months because Yessy only learned of your continuing problem when someone brought this thread to Yessy's attention. When this thread was discovered, with you saying Yessy was broken, etc, Yessy then sent you detailed step-by-step instructions to cover every possibility. It was then that you discovered you had simply been trying to sign in with the wrong username.

Just because the first response doesn't fix your issue, don't quit and go on a rampage. To continue to complain, even after you discover you're at fault, is simply unprofessional. After all, your customers may be reading this thread as well.

Fin.

LemonAide
06-07-2006, 10:15 PM
whoops part of my messages is gone

I made the mistake of thinking oh I remember yahoo had an add...

Edit post: n/m Thought you were confusing Yahoo for Yessy and was going to say they're different companies, then I saw the tiny blurb at the beginning about Yessy.

jerry lucey
06-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Yes, there is some confusion here. But, the truth is as an aging senior, I find both services lacking. Bye, and close.

maddy777
07-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Oh my stars I can't believe these people from these companies JUST get an account to log on here and do the hard sell!!

Lemonaide if your reply here is indicative of YESSY then NO_EY thanks!!! horrendous behaviour.
Word of mouth, word of mouth!!!

jerry lucey
07-15-2006, 10:45 AM
In consideration of ANY service offering to promote your work online, you must be aware of what it is and if you are truly interested in joining. Example - they (the online service) get a big hunk of cyber space and then sell little pieces of the space to artists and allow them (the artists) to place their work in the site. The very numbers of artists then joining most insure that some sales will take place, but do these sales really have any relationship to the site or did some of those joining bring the buyers along with them. If there are just 100 members and half link to their home page, that is a lot of exposure. But the question you have to consider is does this exposure and related hits do anything for you and your growth as as an artist ?

The one item I see lacking here is a theme. Go to any art gallery, walk in and your eye will tell if they are promoting and selling work you would hang on your wall and if this is a place where your work might fit in. Cyber space is a great big blank wall with little or no relationship to the guy next door. The game is selling space not selling artwork and is this good for you.

jerry

powerline
07-29-2006, 03:38 AM
I have been an Artspan member, from almost its inception. My aim was to use it as an online brochure and it has been great for that purpose. I have had a just a few sales but have made some wonderful contacts and now have a couple of pieces in a NY gallery as a result of them seeing my work on the site. Artspan provides outstanding tech support and customer service and they are constantly seeking ways to improve. My name comes up number one in Google, due to the artspan URL. If you join only for sales, you will be disappointed,but it does get your work seen and your name out there.

EricS
08-02-2006, 05:34 PM
full disclosure: I am the Artspan director. Just to clarify a couple of points (and there are many to clarify!), Artspan sites DO allow the member to set up different galleries, they do allow more than 12 images (unlimited images for the top 16.95 package). there is a limit to images that show in searches. We have 1200 member sites as of now, and to have all 50,000 images show in searches would be incredibly tedious for the visitor....better to have representative images, in our view, and let the visitor click through to the individual site.
Pricing: we are far cheaper than most. And we do a lot more advtg...for ex, we have 1/2 page displays in Art in America through the end of the year (geared to the collector!) and we spend a lot on other print and internet promotion and advertising. We are a real portal and want to bring traffic to the member sites. We spend a lot on this and member fees cover a part of that.

jerry lucey
08-02-2006, 09:19 PM
My problem with these services is mainly the large number of members. Does it really take over a thousand members to make the system run.

I think of it as finding the most massive old warehouse possible and arranging to hang the works of a thousand plus artists on the walls.

When I open one of these massive online galleries it just turns me off, but then again Im not a potential buyer anyway.

EricS
08-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Jerry, it will take a lot more than that to really make an impact. Advtg, promotion, pay per click,search engine optimization...we do a lot and spend a lot more. Is it worth paying for? Do a search on google for artists websites. Artspan is no 1 out of 26 MILLION results. and thats just one term... if you want exposure, you must be prepared to spend a little (and our rates are very low, we are certainly not 'making money'). To just put up template websites, do awaywith promotion,customer support, advtg, etc...sure, we could do it for less. If you are a serious artist, you have to know that a big part of your job is always going to be promotion....here we take over part of that for a reasonable price. Are visitors going to Artspan going to look at your work? If they are interested in the kind of work you do, they may well do that. Without being part of a portal like Artspan, there is almost NO chance of this happening. There are just too many sites

ms.patricia
08-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I've pretty well given up on these artists member services. I signed up for Yessy because someone told me they sold pretty well there. To date, nothing - not even an inquiry and very very few people even click on my gallery page. I have had my own website since 1996 and it gets decent traffic (never as much as I would like) but I've had many commissions and sales come thru it. I put in a free paypal shopping cart system - which is insanely easy to do! That helped sales a lot too. I don't think I'll be signing up for any more of these services and I'll sink that money into promoting my website :wink2:

Oh, the website pays for itself with some google ads that are pretty modest and blend into my site well. If some are considering a website, they may want to take a peek.

http://www.watercolorsbypatricia.com

EricS
08-10-2006, 02:03 PM
if you are doing well with your site, if you are able to update it and, most of all, if you get traffic to it, stay with your own site....no point in having Artspan or any other service. We provide convenience, traffic, nice design, etc....but you seem to be happy with what you have and you have been up since 96, which makes you part of a very small group.

ms.patricia
08-10-2006, 03:06 PM
If people are not willing/or do not have the time to promote their own websites then I suppose a service like yours can be helpful. I'm very disappointed that Yessy simply does not have the traffic I expected and has not directed anything to my website either.

EricS
08-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Artspan has pretty good search functions and yessy may also. We get a lot of traffic and much of that goes thru to the member sites, but depends on what kind of work they do and how much interest there is in it. An offer like artspan's is really 2-fold: 1. low cost and easy to manage template site and 2. access to traffic...but promotion is also very much in the hands of the individual member. They have to work at it also, if they dont, they will not get a lot out of it. But you do need to have your own domain name, does yessy allow for that? I see a lot of www.yessy.com/ArtistName but not www.artistname.com...you need the latter to effectively promote. Artspan has both individual domains and subdomains of artspan but I always recommend that members have their own domains.

kickwheel81
08-11-2006, 05:05 PM
I have been looking into posting some of my work online and haven't really found what I'm looking for yet. I did look into yessy and artspan and they don't seem to offer what I'm looking for. I did find a site the other day that is brandnew called arttowngifts and they look like they might have the kind of service I was looking for. They proccess sales and do just about everything for you or at least that is what they are saying and with no sign up or monthly fees. They are just opening. Has anyone heard anything about arttowngifts.com? I filled out their application yesterday and I am hoping to hear back from them today. It almost sounds to good to be true. If anyone has any experience with them please let me know.

kerguelen
09-14-2006, 08:53 PM
I have tried several different artist community sites, my own website, a Yahoo store and an eBay Store.

But the only place I have sold consistently is via eBay auctions. My eBay store had about 5 purchases in a year and a half. But I have sold well over a hundred paintings at auction. I have not sold anything at any other site that I have tried so far.

The eBay store was my gallery page. I had www.michaelcreese.com web forwarding through Network Solutions to my eBay Store. So it was easy to tell people to just go to my web site, and they would arrive at my eBay store.

Long story short. The eBay Store fees went up. They used to be 6.95/mo. for the store and .02 per listing. Now it is 15.95/mo. for the store and .10 per listing. Add that all up and it's well over $300 per year if you throw in a subscription to Picture Manager (which you'll also need if you want multiple pics on your eBay store items). Realizing that I did not sell many items directly from my eBay store, but rather through auctions, I realized this was not the most cost-effective solution.

So I recently moved my gallery to Yessy because I really like the interface and they only charge $59 per year for unlimited listings and as many pics as you need to upload. Much better deal than eBay and even if I don't sell on Yessy its a great place to park my stuff. I checked my visitor counts on Yessy and they are well over what I had for items parked in my eBay Store. I don't know if that will translate into sales or not.

Bottom line is that my strategy is to have a low cost site to display my portfolio, where I can send people if they want to see my gallery. Then I will still participate in eBay auctions to sell my work since that is a tried and true method.

I hope my experience is helpful to others.

I have not tried Artspan but I will check them out too.

Michael Creese

natasaart
09-18-2006, 10:02 AM
HI I'm Natasha

I'm pretty new here on wet canvas

I haven't any experience with Artspan, but I've been on trial membership with Yessy.

They have pretty good graphic and style, but I haven't noticed any some action.
I mean, they are great, but I think a lot of buyers still are a bit suspicious about buying art through websites.
I also had like 60-80 unique hits in 2 weeks. Seems like that's some kind of avarage for most artists.
I would really really love to see how much visitors they have in real time all together.

It seems like it is a tought job to sell art through websites, that's why I think it is good to have an own indepentend site togheter with all those
we selling sites.
And of course I think selling art is like selling all other things.
It takes a lot of time and some good marketing on the web.
Bee seen almost everywhere makes search engines happy and probably gives us artist some feedback.
But I think it takes time and some hard online work ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2006/90805-banner.jpg (http://www.nmbizz.net/natasaart)

milkmaid
01-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Last post was May 2006, Has Yessy improved in the interim?
I am thinking of making the decision of how to reach new clients.

Jeanetted
01-12-2007, 03:39 PM
While I have not sold anything through Yessy, it is an inexpensive way to display your work on the internet. You can have potential customers look at your work from any location. I did have a couple of instances where someone tried to pull a scam on me. They wanted me to sell work displayed on Yessy, to them without going through Yessy. I discovered that they were pulling this on a lot of others. I told them they had to purchase through the Yessy site...this way I was safe.

Jeanette

cgntoonartist
01-27-2007, 10:09 AM
I've pretty well given up on these artists member services. I signed up for Yessy because someone told me they sold pretty well there. To date, nothing - not even an inquiry and very very few people even click on my gallery page. I have had my own website since 1996 and it gets decent traffic (never as much as I would like) but I've had many commissions and sales come thru it. I put in a free paypal shopping cart system - which is insanely easy to do! That helped sales a lot too. I don't think I'll be signing up for any more of these services and I'll sink that money into promoting my website :wink2:

Oh, the website pays for itself with some google ads that are pretty modest and blend into my site well. If some are considering a website, they may want to take a peek.

http://www.watercolorsbypatricia.comI agree. Another thing with these artists member services websites is that if people do find you, they will also find other artists that are competing with you. You may even lose a sale because of this. Many people I know enjoy having their own website. It gives them a more professional look and more credibility. You are not just a number in a basket full of numbers. Just my two cents. :)

SherChristopher
01-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Do a search on google for artists websites. Artspan is no 1 out of 26 MILLION results. and thats just one term... if you want exposure, you must be prepared to spend a little (and our rates are very low, we are certainly not 'making money'). To just put up template websites, do awaywith promotion,customer support, advtg, etc...sure, we could do it for less. If you are a serious artist, you have to know that a big part of your job is always going to be promotion....here we take over part of that for a reasonable price. Are visitors going to Artspan going to look at your work? If they are interested in the kind of work you do, they may well do that. Without being part of a portal like Artspan, there is almost NO chance of this happening. There are just too many sites

I completely agree with the second part, marketing is paramount - for me the problem is the first part. Searching on Google.com might bring Artspan up first but it isn't happening on Google.co.uk. Do you have to know the exact name of the artist you are looking for or can you search for a particular discipline? Surely if they know my name already they are likely to find my website directly. I did ask a direct question about search engine optimization - if you're gonna pay you're money you wanna know your gonna get a good service - maybe EricS can answer me; What search engine optimization would I be paying for if I sign up with Artspan, 'cos I agree in principle but the theory from my end doesn't seem to be working. :confused:

EricS
01-28-2007, 09:11 AM
hi, there are several reasons for going with a service such as that provided by Artspan. The ease of site management, the low cost, and the access to traffic are the primary ones. We should and will do more to optimize for the UK, but I did a search on google.co.uk and Artspan was #3 for artist websites.

I don't mean to suggest that having an Artspan site will immediately mean a flood of traffic to your site, but it will help. We do get 100,000 unique visitors/month (visitors counted once only) to Artspan (not including visitors going directly to member sites). and that traffic will generally go somewhere. Page views are over 4mm per month and the majority are search results pages.

We also provide fields and help in fleshing out the meta tags that search engines use. A big factor is also simply being linked back and forth to Artspan. OUr sites always rank well. However, anyone with a website should optimize for attainable goals. You will never rank well for "contemporary art" but you can and should rank well for "paper sculpture."

Here are a couple of things you can do:
1. your meta title is Sher Christopher Paper Sculptor. Thats good, has your name and medium, in it. But could be even better as Paper Sculpture from Paper Sculptor Sher Christopher. Yes, I do realize that is very awkward but it is the kind of thing that is very important to search engines, and people do not go to your site to read the meta title.
2. this is the most important... work on the content. All images should have alt tags and image names that reference paper sculpture or other terms you want to optimize for. And you need more text, the homepage certainly needs it. I would add a "paper Sculpture" header at the top of the page and then some text towards the bottom of the page incorporating that and other terms. Home page text is the most important but interior pages should not be neglected.

This will of course change the look of the site and your designer (Paul?) will not be happy, but as long as he is going to be unhappy, I would get rid of the frames ....the whole site is not, in my view, search engine friendly. I am not an expert in this, by any means, but I have hired enough experts to have an opinion.
_______
As to the prior post, I cannot understand the concern that visitors might also look at other "competing" artists and you might lose a sale! People will either like your work or not, but one of the factors will be whether they sense that YOU like your work....my two cents says encourage them to look at other work. After all you are the best!

Artspan has a very low drop-out rate (technical term is "churn"). They know that we are artists and provide the best service we possibly can at a very modest cost. Its worth it for them. And I ALWAYS tell people to go look at our competitors....foliosnap, foliolink, big black bag, myexpose, etc, etc. We were the first and we are still the best. I dont consider Yessy a direct competitor, their members don't have full sites with their own domains.

Cheers and you can always reach me at Artspan...Eric

ClaireCreations
03-06-2007, 09:18 PM
I see that these posts are all quite old. Is this still an active forum?
Does Artspan still exist?

EricS
03-06-2007, 10:36 PM
you might want to type in www.artspan.com in the browser window...you will see that artspan does in fact exist. We have close to 1600 artist websites, very significant traffic and, if you check my last post here, that was at the end of Jan 07.

BTW go to the Artspan Forum to read my last few newsletters, they will tell you whats going on at Artspan.

mcbstone
03-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey Guys...

Thanks for the heads up. I was about to finish my uploads. When I decided to go to Wet Canvas to just look around. Guess, I want be uploading. But, will keep searching for a better way to sell my artwork. It keeps mounding up. Any suggestions anyone?

Artspan does sound better than Yessy. I have to admit. But, is there a site that will allow you to sell and that will charge you a commission instead of a, per say fee.

Gillm
06-26-2007, 09:11 AM
I signed up with yessy for about a year. Like others I saw that most of the viewers of my work were other contributors to the site. I made no sales atall, and the one enquiry did a 'belly up'.
Then I discovered I could boost the amount of viewings and easily exceed the 'said maximum' the method being- put a new drawing/painting on every week or more. This meant I was always on the front page of Yessy when people opened it to view. But despite the large numbers of viewings of my selection of paintings etc., as I said, 'I sold nothing'.
Apart from that, I objected to the way Yessy would permit me to put the link on my personal site to their Yessy site, but would not let me put a link to my site on their site.
I think that 'a good art site' would do a lot more advertising in the media to keep public interest up. Obviously this would cost, but it could be an option members chose to take up or not.

EricS
06-28-2007, 11:22 AM
I agree that a good art site should do a lot more advertising. Artspan is doing that to the limit of its finances (and a bit beyond!). We advertise in 11 different print magazines and buy keywords. Just as important is the work we do to optimize our member sites for the search engines and to optimize Artspan....just for an example, we are ranked #2 by both Google and Yahoo for "contemporary art." Thats out of 80mm results. Once visitors do get to Artspan, they have a variety of search functions and directories to use to find the member sites of interest.
As to linking policies, Artspan sites are independant with their own domain names and totally controlled by members. You can link to whoever you want. We expect our members to also promote on their own, not to approach this passively, and linking is part of promotion.

Luke T
07-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Some of the posts in this thread are really sad. The responses from the Yessy people are very unprofessional.
Eric from Artspan seems very honest, but I'd recommend my employer to anyone tired of paying $$ for no results, as seems to be the record for Yessy and Artspan.

BoundlessGallery.com, as mentioned kindly by an earlier poster, is a commissioned based site (10%-25%), so artists pay nothing until they complete a sale, when sales are made boundlessgallery handles all transactions for you with no extra or hidden fees.

You can post unlimited pieces (and 5 images per piece).

You'll get an automatic website yourname.boundless... set up for you to customize however you like

We are ranked 20,000 spots higher than artspan based on alexa.com

There are way too many features to list...
please check it out for yourself, but know that we don't make any money until our artists sell, so that is our main focus, not signing new artists to collect subscription fees.
Best of luck to all,
Luke

meart
07-13-2007, 07:12 PM
I signed up for both Artspan and Yessy and for the first 10 days or so on each I did absolutely no advertising or promotion at all. I did the shopping cart option on Yessy and set up my own shopping cart (with PayPal) on Artspan. I have originals, prints, and cards offered, with a price range of $700 down to $4 (all USD).

Within those first ten days the Yessy site had 51 unique visitors and 1877 hits. The first ten days of Artspan had 96 unique visitors and 1512 hits. Of Yessy's 51 unique visitors, 29 were on the first day; and of the 1877 hits, 641 were on the first day. Both unique visitors and hits dropped off very dramatically after that. The unique visitors and hits are more consistant throughout the ten days for Artspan. Within that first ten days I did make one sale through the Artspan site, none through Yessy.

I have now been on Artspan for approx. 6 weeks and have sold two originals, two prints, and about 50 cards. I'm also developing a nice email list of people who are interested in receiving updates when new work is put up, or for outside exhibitions, etc. I don't think that is a feature on the Yessy site (if it is, I haven't found it yet). I will point out that after the initial two weeks I spent tweaking my Artspan site to make it what I wanted, I have now begun to actively promote it, and that has made my unique visitors, hits, and sales really soar.

I have not yet begun to actively promote Yessy (I've only been on it just over two weeks). As it's relatively inexpensive, and I have already promoted my Artspan site as my main site, I will probably continue to use Yessy as an "extra" site, but not actively promote it much. I do plan to add a few paintings at a time to it (instead of adding a larger group), as adding new work seems to be the main way for people to find the work without wading through huge numbers of pages (over 39,000 paintings and prints....kinda hard to find mine :( ). There doesn't seem to be any type of artist directory, you just browse by catagory. I could hardly even find the work I knew was there (because I put it up!), so I would find it hard to direct someone to the site to look at the work.

Also, when I googled my artist's name the Artspan site came up in the first page; I looked through 60 pages and don't think I ever found the Yessy listing. Perhaps this was because the listing is quite new, but the Artspan one showed up in the first three pages of a google search I did within a couple of weeks after setting up the site.

Anyway, so far that's been my experience using the two sites. forget yessy i have been on for 8months now and its a waste of time and cash you get lots of hits and visitors really drop off unless you put fresh work on regular....

meart
07-15-2007, 01:50 PM
In consideration of ANY service offering to promote your work online, you must be aware of what it is and if you are truly interested in joining. Example - they (the online service) get a big hunk of cyber space and then sell little pieces of the space to artists and allow them (the artists) to place their work in the site. The very numbers of artists then joining most insure that some sales will take place, but do these sales really have any relationship to the site or did some of those joining bring the buyers along with them. If there are just 100 members and half link to their home page, that is a lot of exposure. But the question you have to consider is does this exposure and related hits do anything for you and your growth as as an artist ?

The one item I see lacking here is a theme. Go to any art gallery, walk in and your eye will tell if they are promoting and selling work you would hang on your wall and if this is a place where your work might fit in. Cyber space is a great big blank wall with little or no relationship to the guy next door. The game is selling space not selling artwork and is this good for you.

jerrywell said you have hit the nail on the head so to speak :clap:

meart
07-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Jerry, since the question was raised in public, you're going to get a public answer, and then this will be the end of it. We're not going to continue to beat a dead dog.

You say Yessy offered no real help. However, you asked Yessy for help once, quote:
"have tried over and over to add new address and delete the old...what is wrong here, YOUR SYSTEM JUST PLAIN DOES NOT WORK...what happens now...jerry lucey"

That was your ENTIRE email. An extremely vague description of some possible issue. Do you honestly feel anyone could have accurately deciphered what the problem may have been?

Yessy responded that same day with different ideas of what could be wrong including:
- Try clearing your browsers cache and cookies.
- Try using a different browser or even a different computer if possible.
- If it works on a different computer, check your computer for viruses.

You then simply gave up when the first suggestions of a fix did not work and instead proceeded to publicly complain.

So why did it take 6 months? Perhaps Yessy should ask you that same question. From Yessy's standpoint, it took 6 months because Yessy only learned of your continuing problem when someone brought this thread to Yessy's attention. When this thread was discovered, with you saying Yessy was broken, etc, Yessy then sent you detailed step-by-step instructions to cover every possibility. It was then that you discovered you had simply been trying to sign in with the wrong username.

Just because the first response doesn't fix your issue, don't quit and go on a rampage. To continue to complain, even after you discover you're at fault, is simply unprofessional. After all, your customers may be reading this thread as well.

Fin.since we are in public can you please say if you are from yessy or have any connections with them

meart
07-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Jerry, it will take a lot more than that to really make an impact. Advtg, promotion, pay per click,search engine optimization...we do a lot and spend a lot more. Is it worth paying for? Do a search on google for artists websites. Artspan is no 1 out of 26 MILLION results. and thats just one term... if you want exposure, you must be prepared to spend a little (and our rates are very low, we are certainly not 'making money'). To just put up template websites, do awaywith promotion,customer support, advtg, etc...sure, we could do it for less. If you are a serious artist, you have to know that a big part of your job is always going to be promotion....here we take over part of that for a reasonable price. Are visitors going to Artspan going to look at your work? If they are interested in the kind of work you do, they may well do that. Without being part of a portal like Artspan, there is almost NO chance of this happening. There are just too many sites
we do spend more than a little on our art work and iam a serious artist!!!that was very insulting

mole
03-23-2008, 05:33 AM
I read a few of the comments, obviously not all of them. Anyways, you can't expect the site to bring everyone to you no matter what their traffic is like. You need to get your links out there. Also, remember that you want quality traffic. Some sites might bring you a lot of traffic, but you may find that most of the traffic is not traffic that would ever lead to a sell. I read an article about this very subject on www.myartspace.com/blog (http://www.myartspace.com/blog)

gatorcross
12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
I really think the argument is moot. Perhaps all the differing opinions are just another fruitless "Pepsi vs. Coke" polarizing discussion. Why not just use BOTH including other affodable and free venues on the web.

Yessy is a great service and it only costs $59 per year. Yes, they take 10% if a buyer uses their system but YESSY does allow you to promote your own payment options. You can price your artwork accordingly (add 10%) then inform buyers that you will offer them a 10% discount if they go through your merchant services (leaving you with a 2.9% or more fee, depending on your processing company).

ArtSpan also has its limitations ... but, for crying out loud! It is ONLY $19.95/mo. for their premiere service!!! Why not use their service? Even if Artspan only brings you FIVE leads per month ... That's $4 a lead and it is up to you to market those people. Each lead can amount to countless word-of-mouth future patrons.

So, not sure what the argument is here ... use both! I believe the BETTER question should be "How can we use BOTH Artspan and Yessy to our ultimate advantage?"

Meta Art Show
07-27-2009, 09:53 AM
i have learned. Thank you!

joolee
09-09-2009, 05:58 AM
I need to set up a website and I have been looking at Artspan. I don't really understand how the whole thing works but I sort of understand that the more hits you get to your website, the higher it goes up the list when someone searches for say "portrait artists". There don't appear to be many UK based artists on it and I'm wondering whether this is the right way to go. Anyone out there have any advice please?
Thanks
Jools

AlainJ
10-22-2011, 10:46 AM
If you plan to display your work to promote your image as an artist, a simple blog like Blogspot or Blogger will do the work.
If you hope to sell, let's say that the websites like Artspan or Yessy have an edge, but have a very limited success. Fundamentally, people will buy out of shows, galleries and by seeing and, most important, "falling in love" with your piece. Web sites are nice as meeting places but not so good as a channel for art dealing.
As far as hits, it is only the count of visitors that reach your site, some of it may be only people paid to click on links. Usually, the real visitors which are potential buyers, are those you attract to your site with your business cards.

onnikh
09-28-2012, 07:25 PM
September 28, 2012
I just filed a complaint against the on-line Gallery called YESSI, so called artist Gallery, offering 14 day trial for artist to exhibit artwork, I UPLOADED ONE artwork to the site, and the page was so complicated that I could not put another one. I ask them, can I place more then one Artwork?, They respond 1 day before the trial period expires, YES YOU CAN, (Does that sound like OBAMA), then again I had to go to the complicated page and it didn't work no matter what I do, try again NOTHING, then the next day I realize that my account has been charged and wrecked without authorization, ( I had mentioned in an e-mail at the beginning that I will decide if I like to stay and Pay.) When I approach them by e-mail real furious for the charge,... they accuse me of not doing it myself, called me names like "you fool", and the answer is if you get anything it will take now 30 days to be reimbursed, and that, funds will be deducted for not doing it yourself. This people at YESSI are Crooks, Scumbags, and I advise anyone to avoid dealing with this Crooks by all means. Now they wrecked my account into over draw and I am charged $84.00 and my account is in the minus # of $34.00 I am on the road of filing complaints wherever I can, against this crooks.

Thank you, Onnik H.............:clap:.......:heart:......

Bellow is my complaint with CO BBB

Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau's Online Complaint System.
Your complaint has been assigned case # 75180190.
Correspondence regarding this complaint will be emailed to : [email protected]

Filed on : September 28 2012

Filed by :
Onnik Hovanessi
4824 Craner Avenue
North HollywoodNorth Holl CA 91601

Filed against :
Yessy Art Galleries
1630 A 30th St #362
Boulder CO 80301