PDA

View Full Version : how to paint dew drops

Shari
09-06-2004, 05:06 PM
I thought I would tackle one of the beautiful flowers in the reference library, but it has dew drops which I have never tried before. Does anyone have any good tips for getting the clear liqht-filled quality of dew drops on flower petals?

Shari

SweetBabyJ
09-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Take the pic into a photo-editing program, and crop out a section with dewdrops. Now resize that section really, really big. Then enhance the saturation and contrast, and now you have something you can see enough to work from.

If you resize the cropped area much larger than it truly is, printing it that large might make it look pixelated, but you can see it well enough on screen to do a study or two quickly and learn the technique needed.

khourianya
09-06-2004, 05:34 PM
SweetBabyJ did a great tutorial on painting clear glas sin pastel that really illustrates the technique she is explaining here...You can get to it fromt he home page.

Dark_Shades
09-07-2004, 03:09 AM
tackle them as you would glass..... an outside edge.... with the inner colour being what ever it is on or against.... and possible highlights

Deborah Secor
09-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Good advice here already. Just remember to think in terms of shapes, values and colors--not 'ooooh, I'm painting a dew drop..does it look right...?' but, curved this way, a dark blotch here, a little white thing there, some pink on that side...

Have fun!
Deborah

Khadres
09-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Your question reminded me of a painting I once saw in a local art fest which brings up a good point to remember....don't put in too MANY dew drops! This painting was a very nice "study" of some roses....the colors were soft and delicate and the composition was fine, but the artist had added so many dew drops that the effect was one of WARTS rather than delicate water droplets! At first I thought it was just me being too critical, but then I overheard a man behind me whisper to his wife, "What IS that on those flowers? Some kind of BLIGHT or something??" I certainly hope the artist didn't hear that, but it was a point well made.

Shari
09-10-2004, 01:31 AM
Thanks for all your help and good point about too many drops. I think one or two will be fine. It would be easier to just not do them, but I really should try. Will let you know how I progress, which is very slowly these days.

Shari