PDA

View Full Version : first piece here--three sticks

themanda
09-06-2004, 12:57 PM
hello acrylic forum!!! :D

tiny bit about my background...i've been 'painting' digitally for about seven months. i finally took the plunge a few weeks ago to painting on canvas, and have been using acrylics which i'm thrilled with. the only problem i'm having is that i can't get the colors to remain as 'true' as they do digitally. i don't know if that's because of my relative ignorance of this medium, or if i'm not doing it right, or what...

(if you so desire, you can see some examples of my digital work in my gallery, link in sig file.)

right now i'm in the process of converting some of my favorite digital pieces to acrylic on canvas. here is my second attempt...

c&c welcome and appreciated! remember...i'm a total newb, so any and all tips, tricks, or other assorted nuggets of wisdom will be wonderful!

thanks for looking!

katz
09-06-2004, 01:34 PM
HI,
I really like this piece. One thing about acrylics, it dries darker than when first applied.
Maybe a reflection of the vase on the surface that it is sitting on would help to ground it. You could also lighten the area that it is sitting on, and then apply a darker shadow to where the vase meets the surface, applying the shadow from where your light source is coming from. It depends on what look you are going for also, abstract or more realist.
I also find that using a gel medium with the paint helps for shadows and forming depth. I have the Golden heavy acrylics. I just bought some of the fluid colors, these work great for glazing, especially the transparent colors.
Hope this helps.
Katz
:)

ExpressiveAngie
09-06-2004, 08:49 PM
I love, love, love the background!

mooz49
09-07-2004, 02:35 AM
I think this is beautiful and mysterious .......... it makes me want to see what sort of place these 2 sticks are living in. I have been to your gallery and I love the way you use colour in your pictures.

jbitzel
09-07-2004, 08:04 AM
I love the brushstrokes in the background, good work. As far as colors, variance in colors are the spice of life, if everyone painted perfectly realism life would be boring. :wave:

themanda
09-07-2004, 12:54 PM
thanks for looking and seeing and doing! :D

i'm certainly going for an abstract look here, like all my other works. the idea of lightening the base is a good idea, but i sort of wanted everything to fade off to black all around. trying to get some sort of etheral quality to it. yeah, that's the ticket!

i do need to keep in mind that they dry darker than when applied. i have a tendancy to paint really dark anyway, so that will be a good tip to keep in the front of my mind.

thanks again! :D

billiam
09-07-2004, 09:37 PM
doing great, a few more painting and you'll be flying. enjoy yourself. bill