PDA

View Full Version : Identify a stone?

carebear
09-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Hello all! =)

I went to a craft show yesterday, and saw a necklace with a rather unusual stone....I can't even find anything like it on the net, although searching for "yellow stone" is just asking for trouble. :evil:

Anyhow, it was a mustard yellow...not much for any other colors in it at all...maybe a little veining, but not much.

Got any ideas? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

carrie

beclectic
09-06-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi Carrie, welcome to wearable art. I have no idea what this could be. It could be something as simple as dyed yellow jasper.

A picture would be helpful but from your description I assume you don't have access to the stone.

Did you by any chance ask what the stone was?

carebear
09-06-2004, 10:45 AM
yupper..I asked....and she said she had no idea...lol..no help there at all!

and I LOVE this thread! I've spent days just going backwards into the archives reading all the show and tell threads..you guys are awesome!

thanks for the welcome :wave:

carrie

dogmaw
09-06-2004, 11:11 AM
It might be dyed howlite too. Post us a pict!

Jo

carebear
09-06-2004, 12:38 PM
boy, I wish I could post a pic of it...maybe I just should have bought it instead of telling my sister "of course I can find a stone just like that!" :p

I looked up howlite, but that has lots of veining in it, and looked up yellow jasper, which is close, but not mustard-y enough...

thanks for the help and great suggestions tho...I'll have to keep searching!

(who'd a thunk there'd be so many mustard colored rocks in the world?)

carrie

Juls
09-06-2004, 12:43 PM
How about honey jade? it can range from a muted butter yellow to a mustard color.

~Juls

debkauz
09-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Could be yellow turquoise, too. Try to post a picture.

Deb

BBsBaubles
09-06-2004, 02:26 PM
I was thinking yellow turquoise too. Moukaite was another one but that naturally has shades of red/brown and cream all mixed together.

beadyeyedgirls
09-06-2004, 03:35 PM
i was thinking mooakite, too...i've got some strands of it that have some purely mustard yellow pieces.

carebear
09-06-2004, 03:40 PM
it might be yellow jasper...I did a search on ebay...and it kinda looks like the attachment that I hope is on here! but it was a flattish rock piece, so that could be why it's hard to tell...it was also fairly cheap...$20 for the necklace, so it couldn't have been anything too fancy!

thanks everyone for your help!

carrie :clap:

chuckie
09-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Here's a list of every stone I can think of that can be found in yellow or mustard colors. Remember, when you're dealing with stone, the shades can vary from pale to dark. So if you look at one photo and it's not quite the same color, it could just be a variation in shading.

Amber
Aragonite
Carnelian
Chalcedony
"Chinese" Topaz (looks like some form of jade)
Chrysoprase
Citrine
Fluorite
Garnet - Hessonite
Garnet - Spessarite
Jade
Jasper
Lemon Topaz
Lemon Quartz
Mooakite
Opal
Serpentine

There's a couple more, but I can't think of them right now. Perhaps you'll find what you're looking for in this list.

Char

carebear
09-10-2004, 11:43 PM
char...bless your heart! what a fantastic list...thanks so much to you and everyone for their input...
I'll be doing web searches tomorrow to see if I can find it...

Thanks so much!

carrie