PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble - 9/6 - 9/13

Kathryn Wilson
09-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Happy Labor Day to us here in the US! A day to relax, reflect, get ready for cooler weather. Come chat with us about what's happening in your life - tell us about family, children, pets, weather -
------------

All's well on the Florida front with my mom - thanks for all the concern and well wishes - you guys are the greatest.

Hope PJ's daughter and grandchild are okay too.

Have a happy holiday!

Deborah Secor
09-06-2004, 12:44 PM
Kat--so glad your mom fared well! I've been praying for everyone, for PJ's family and Maggie's too, who are in Florida. Hope this storm loses steam now and doesn't get all full of itself over the Gulf. I have family newly moved from Buffalo to Mobile who are all freaked out already. Snow they can handle... but all the rain and wind is dangerous! :rolleyes:

Hope the holiday gives everyone a little extra time to paint--but I suspect we'll all be too busy with family. Tomorrow is my birthday so my mom and aunt and cousin are treating me to a special lunch at Mimi's (a cute restaurant--it's a chain but the food is really good!) today to celebrate. Hubby is actually taking the day off tomorrow, which is a rare treat for me (YAY!), and we'll probably go out to dinner.

So I look forward to a couple of days of fun. Then it's back to work for me...articles, painting, teaching...I start my Tuesday class next week. I'm having a lot of fun with the Createx--not sure how successful it is yet, but FUN! I'm considering trying it as an overall tone or wash to see what that does. I need to stop being so literal and think of it as blocking in large areas of color and value. This painting stuff is HARD, though. I keep thinking, when I get to the pastels I can just... but I'm so used to working from dark to light that starting with the yellow makes me uneasy. LOL I have college friends who would be holding their sides laughing at the thought of me with paints and a brush in my hand. I always said, "NEVER" to painting.

Change is good. Change is good... right? Well, change is always necessary anyway! :p

Deborah

Khadres
09-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Deborah, you silly! You "paint" every time you pick up a pastel stick! You just forego the brush is all! Sounds as if you're having a blast with the Createx, tho!

Kat, so glad your mum came through the storm okay! Now if Ivan will just go on off and bother someone else, Florida can begin the work of cleanup! Watching all those videos of smashed boats makes me just as glad I'm not rich enough to HAVE one! My worry in a situation like this is mostly for the poor animals that become displaced and "lost" in the tumult! We do fairly well in keeping humans safe, but seeing that poor frightened horse and that dog running loose makes me so sad.

All is quiet here....I'm futzing around with a rocky beach scene I've been wanting to tackle. I'm using more of my Blockx pastels this time and LOVE them! They're sturdy, but not hard exactly....is there such a thing as "buttery semi-sorta-hard-and-softish-too"? Their set comes with SUCH a lovely array of subtle earth/rock/sand tones, this painting is perfect for them!

I watched Albert Handell's video last night...it wasn't EXACTLY like his workshop in Santa Fe but was a real treat nonetheless. Watching him work is fascinating since his approach is so different from others I've seen. He has a unique way of handling his pastels and creating a painting, I think. In a lot of ways, he uses the "finding the subject" method I like to use as he goes along and his use of photo reference is purely for REFERENCE, not copying. At the end of the video he explains how he creates endless compositions from three or four photos at once....very informative. Had to laugh when he would find himself at a loss for words! Such as, "OK, now I'm going to move up here again and add........something or other....to balance that over there!"

My kinda painter, although I suspect I'm just a TAD more orderly, which is amazing since I thought I was the biggest mess around! :D

I'm very excited at the prospect of Mikki and hubby's visit up this way! With any luck at all, we'll have a paint out at least once, so I've left my kit packed and ready to go! No telling when they'll get here, since I pointed 'em to some interesting side trip-lets along their way up, but I'm really looking forward to visiting with them again! Guess I should try cleaning this messy house, eh? ick

K Taylor-Green
09-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if all the hurricanes would just blow themselves out and give it a rest ??? Kat, I'm glad your mom is ok.

An early HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! to Deborah. 29, right?? Hey! I've been 29 for a long, long time! But, since my oldest daughter is 30, I guess I'll have to move on to 39. Dang kids anyway.

Sooz, You really like the Bloxx?? I'm almost finished with a commission, and was thinking about buying Gerault's earthtone set. Have you tried them? Can you compare them with the Bloxx, if you have?

We went to a small professional rodeo, yeaterday. My niece is a pro barrell racer, and this rodeo was close by. She came in second! I'm so proud!! She ran in Indiana, Sat. and came in first. She is 10th in the nation in overall standing, and heading for Nation's Finals in Jan. She spends almost every weekend on the road, with her horses, and sometimes, her hubby. To me it seems hard, but she loves it too much to settle down.

Hope everyone has a good week!! :wave:

Kitty Wallis
09-06-2004, 04:38 PM
We finished peeling and seeding and freezing our 2-year chile supply. Bryn brought home 50 lbs of roasted Hatch green chilies. The best.

He had a carry-on size case and 6 extra-thick garbage bags, so each 25 lb sack was triple wrapped and sealed. He did this because we smelled up the whole airport last time with only one regular garbage bag around each sack. As the case came out on the baggage carousel you could smell it across the room. Not this time. It smelled, but you had to put your nose close to the suitcase. And what a wonderful smell. And what a heavy case!

Anyone have any favorite green chile recipes?

SweetBabyJ
09-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Cranberries and Green Chilies

Couple cups of berries, cooked in a small amount of water till starting to mush
1C chopped roasted green chilies
small onion, chopped fine
2t orange peel- finely pared
sugar to taste
salt as needed
possibly a dash of red wine vinegar- have to taste to see

Mix, and allow to meld flavors 24 hours in the frig. Good on turkey, but GREAT with pork. (Would probably work as a canned item, dunno- prolly don't cook the cranberries first, I think, just mix and allow the heat of processing to cook it)

Green Chili Soup
Pureee a good cup or so of roasted chilies add 1C good chicken broth, garlic if the broth isn't garlicky enough, salt as needed. Heat and then simmer to allow flavors to meld, serve with dollop of sour cream and soft-fried corn tortillas.

Chili Rellenos, too- ohhhhh! *yum*!!!

meowmeow
09-06-2004, 05:02 PM
Glad your mum is alright Kat and I hope everyone else who is in Florida or has loved ones there fared alright. What a time they have had of it!

Well, after halfhearted packing a few things yesterday I asked hubby how he would feel if I stayed up here till Columbus Day!!!:D He actually said it would be great because he can go down to work most of the week and then come right back up. Once we move back down with the dog and cat coming up is more of a hassle and we don't come every weekend. This way he can be here all the weekends and if he is not too busy at work he can come up early but will be up by Thursday night anyhow. Sooooo....I called my friends and went down to Old Orchard Beach to set up and paint! Yikes! I never thought I could do that! Well...I didn't really paint in the end. It was a madhouse there. Way more people than we expected. But I did put up my easel and sketch the scene and took lots of pictures, then sat down and did lots of quick sketches of the people...who just wouldn't sit still! :D I didn't "produce" anything I could frame or anything but I know it was an excellent experience for me. And I have some sketches and photos I can probably use later to make a really painting. Setting up right next to someone who knew what she was doing and was comfortable made it much easier for me.

I am excited about being here this month because it is gorgeous but cooler. In the summer if I don't get out early, even if the temperature doesn't seem to get too high it is realy too hot to paint outdoors much. So it will be interesting. I know I'll get a little lonely for hubby sometimes but I have lots of friends around here. More than at home actually. People at home all work full time and no one is around at all during the week. The friends I am close to don't live really near me. Here there are lots of other women who work at home or are even retired and there is usually someone willing to go out and paint.

meowmeow
09-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Can't resist...just got some mroe photos from the wedding! :D Don't look if you don't want to be bothered! REally!

Here's all Hubby, grandson, me and the happy couple.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2004/15050-family2.jpg

Grandson (Jacob) ushering Olivia (who happens to be 8 month syounger than he is!:D)...Olivia was the junior Bridesmaid:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2004/15050-jake_ushering.jpg
And I just noticed that standing there in the background is my son Mike and a woman who came from MN, friend of the groom. They spent an awful lot of time together!:D

ANd finally this Is Jacob doing his "reading"...which was Dr. Seuss Oh the places you'll go!"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2004/15050-jake_reading.jpg

Okay..that's it for now! :D

K Taylor-Green
09-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Wonderful pictures, Sandy! You post as many as you want. If Megan's wedding wasn't a year ago, I'd post some too!! love your dress.

bnoonan
09-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Sandy,

It's almost like being there..... Thanks for including us and I'm so excited for you to be able to stay in Maine until Columbus Day. What a treat that will be.

Remind me again how far away you are from Portland since I'll be there visiting my sister the last week in September. Oh - wouldn't that be fun to get together and paint a day....

Deborah - you paint - I've seen those hands run a foam brush over the paper and have to agree with Sooz - it's just painting with sticks is what we do. Oh and happy early b-day.

Sooz - a visit from Mikki and hubby would be great fun. Be sure to take photos and I get the impression she'd rather you just enjoy yourself rather than clean house. We're a family-type group here.

Kate - congrats on the rodeo winners in the family. Will you be painting any of your photos? What a great subject matter.

Kitty & Julie... this here is a chile-free zone. I'm allergic to those buggers so I'll stay clear....

Kat - batten down the hatches again, I'm afraid you may be in for another week of rain and wind... My heart goes out to all of you back there.

Barb

meowmeow
09-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Who caresif they are a year old, Kate! Wedding photos are fun...show us some!

Portland!!!! I am maybe 20 minutes away depending on traffic and how the crow is flying!!!! I'd love to meet if it works out!

I like chillies!!! Well, not a whole lot of super hot ones but some. Yep! Yum!

bnoonan
09-06-2004, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=meowmeow]Portland!!!! I am maybe 20 minutes away depending on traffic and how the crow is flying!!!! I'd love to meet if it works out!
QUOTE]
My sister lives on Peaks Island - I'll do my best to be in touch before I fly out so we can coordinate something.

B

meowmeow
09-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Terrific. PM or email when you have time.

bnoonan
09-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Has anyone heard from Luvy? I think she lives in Florida.

barb

bogbeast
09-06-2004, 11:08 PM
and how about Preston? I just heard that SE GA is getting hit by Frances...

Mikki and Barb, sorry we missed you in Placerville! but it's not that far from here, and with our monster Dodge Durango (you need four wheel drive in MN winters,) I'd be delighted to visit your forest! but in cooler weather, please, not on a holiday weekend with wildfires outside Davis, please: an hour of 2 miles an hour on the freeway at about 100 degrees F. in a dust-smoke storm on the friday of labor day weekend was just about more than we could handle! I'm curious about the "Old Hangtown" designation, though--might not be safe for us liberal Berkeley types?! barb, I missed the sign you spoke of...must have been a goodone, by your tone of type!

well, our welter of extension cords is mostly tamed, but there's still lots to do, so I won't do much but lurk for the next week (eeegads!!!). Unfortunately, it's been 96-98 degrees here the last 3 days, reall hard for box moving and other real work, so now I'm behind my schedule--and they even look for dust on the door jambs! and my sweetie keeps having these dreams that we end up with twins--now, wouldn't that be a trip!!

Plus, classes start this week, and I am determined to sit in on two if the profs will let me: a history/archeology/old testament team taught one, and one on Jesus' parables taught by this fantastic and delightfully humble little world-reknowned German feminst theologian--I sat in on New Testament with her last spring, she's wonderful, and so very touched when anyone says they like her courses...and she goes back to germnay after this semester, so I want to catch her while I can. Just a little something to fill my free time---and so I can talk intelligibly to my wife!

Keep well, all, and apint purty pictures for me--I doubt I will touch my pastels until the home study is over. :wave:

oooo-sorry about the typos--guess I'd better get back to my cleaning rags! :)

Khadres
09-07-2004, 02:17 AM
Sooz, You really like the Bloxx?? I'm almost finished with a commission, and was thinking about buying Gerault's earthtone set. Have you tried them? Can you compare them with the Bloxx, if you have?

Well, I have a couple 50 color sets of Giraults...they're okay, but I don't find myself using them that much; not sure why, but they don't seem to leave as strong a mark somehow and they tend to snap on me at just the wrong time. I like the Blockx because they seem a tad softer, but stronger physically, if that makes sense. They make a good opaque mark, as well. The only thing the set lacks is truly dense darks...I LOVE the mid tones and lights, tho. I think I could live with my fave Unison darks, my fave Schminckes and the Blockx just fine....oh, yeah, and the oddball colors in Art Spectrum's line. Love working with the Senneliers, but they're just too much waste getting the wrappers off! Oh, geez....forgot the Great Americans tho...couldn't live without THEM either! :o What can I say....I'm a pastel junkie! I'm gonna ask Santa for a single 9 color range of blue violets from the Roche line....hope I don't get too hooked on those!

Khadres
09-07-2004, 02:47 AM
Glad you get to stay in Maine a bit longer, Sandy...enjoy! Loved the wedding pics too!

Congrats on the rodeo daughter, Kate.

Luck with the classes, bogie!

Wish I could tag along on that trip, Barb....loved it the one time I was back that way!

I was hoping to pick up some chilis, too, Kitty, but as it happens just the smell of them roasting sent Mel into tearing eyes and wheezing fits, so didn't get any. My older daughter roasts her own each year and has to wear rubber gloves to keep from getting hives, too.

Well, I'm using the excuse of possible company to shift Mel into high gear in between job hunting. Just about everything needs cleaning, so she should keep busy and me too! I like to clean house really good this time of year anyway, ready for the season's change. Soon we won't be able to throw open all the windows anymore for the year, so it's nice to do it around now. We may not get it all done, but it'll be a start. If we don't get done before Mikki shows up, that's okay too....I AM gonna have fun while she's here, mess or not!

Gary goes to the endocrinologist tomorrow, the cardiac one Thurs. He's doing lots better so it'll be interesting to see what they say. He gets out of the housecleaning, but has volunteered to keep the dishes done which is huge help to me! I get a bit cranky with that sinkful of dishes that seems to be an eternal thing, no matter how many dishes I do.

Kathryn Wilson
09-07-2004, 08:47 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DEBORAH!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandy, wow, you get to stay in Maine for the fall colors! Great time to be there and lots of painting opportunities. The wedding pictures are wonderful - so many memories for the future. :music: :music: :music:

Thanks for the well wishes - Hurricane Frances will be visiting us tonight and tomorrow - crossing my fingers we don't lose power. Then we have to pray that Ivan turns away from Florida - :mad:

Kathryn Wilson
09-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Has anyone heard from Luvy? I think she lives in Florida.

barb

Yes, Luvy does live in Florida - but can't remember where. We haven't seen her on the forum for quite some time - :(

E-J
09-07-2004, 08:58 AM
My mind has been all over the place this past month or two ... I would dearly love to find sufficient concentration to sit down for a few hours and put in a decent painting session, but it's just not happening, so for the time being I'm doing one-hour sketches to keep my hand and eye in practice. A few 'life' things are in limbo right now and I suppose that's what is turning me into a blue-arsed fly ... I'm just too excited about life to sit still :D I've attached my new Heilman pastel box onto a camera tripod next to my easel and it's such a cool setup - it's going to be much easier to reach for my colours as I'm painting. Really happy with my pastel box ... What's more, in 5 days' time it will be accompanying me to south-west France for this workshop with Cath Read! Late summer sunshine, yummy home-cooked French food and we get to devote aaaaaalllll day every day to pastel painting :)

At work, one of my colleagues has managed to secure a small budget for frames so that our informal 'arty group' can display a few of our pictures in the new Common Room. I am going to cut the mounts and along with some of his landscape photos and another colleague's macro flower shots, I'm thinking of exhibiting a couple of pastels. Now I've just got to decide which! I'm also looking forward, from 1 October, to the hugely civilised development of cutting my working hours from a 5- to a 4-day week! :clap: This is something I discussed with my boss many months ago and now that it's only a few weeks away, the reality's only just starting to sink in - I will be able to spend an entire day each week with my pastels!!

Looks like it's going to be an arty autumn :)

soap
09-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Ha EJ - same here - too busy with life to do any painting really. Still have a little boy crouching in water to finish and the christmas girl.....
But in the mean time I went over to London to see some friends of my fiance - I never met them before, but they were great - we could easily become good friends. Had a ball. Next weekend we are entertaining friends, so cleaning up the house again. Why did nobody ever tell me a dog brings so much dirt in the house?? Is there anyway I can teach my dog to wipe his feet on the doormat?
Also on the verge of deciding which kitchen supplier to choose. One more expensive with a great design or one less expensive with a rubbish design (ie. it needs work). So difficult - how to choose?

Pregnancy not bothering me much at the moment. No bump yet and feeling normal. Good stuff so I can get on carrying heavy things and being told off about it :D.

Hope everybody is fine and enjoying painting!!

Oh, PS: summer has finally arrived this week. Lovely weather, 22 degrees centigrade. FINALLY!! Hope it will last a few days.

Khadres
09-07-2004, 12:13 PM
Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, Deborah!!!!!!!!

soap
09-07-2004, 12:16 PM
oh, b***er - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

so sorry, I forgot :o :wink2:

Deborah Secor
09-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Where has Luvy been, I wonder? :confused: Hope all is well with her...

Sandy, you look WONDERFUL in that dress! I love the whole layout of this wedding--the house and grounds, the water and the trees--so beautiful. It must have been a great day for you all. Your grandson is adorable! Such a responsible look as he walked down the aisle... Show us more picutres--they're always fun to see! (From you, too, Kate! I'm open to wedding and grandbaby pix from anyone... :) ) Oh, and Sandy, YAY for getting to stay in Maine longer--more painting time! You deserve it. Have fun...

E-J, sounds like an exciting time. I'd just love to paint with anyone, anytime in the south of France. Have fun painting, soaking up the sun and eating scrumptious food. An 'arty autumn' sounds good! LOL

Soap--seems summer is a bit late in arriving for you but enjoy every bit of the sun you're getting. Your whole life sound sexciting in so many ways--remodeling, new friends--not to mention a new baby! It seems to me you're being very creative in all you do right now.

Thanks, Kat! Thanks, Sooz! My day is supposed to be a quiet one. Talk on the phone with friends (I have a best friend who shares my birthday), talk here with you all for a bit, paint a little, and be served dinner tonight! No dishes...no housework...so nice! I had a great lunch celebrating my birthday yesterday with the female side of my family. It was so cute--all the wait staff gathered and sang a rendition of 'zip-a-dee-doo-dah' birthday style and seved a HUGE sice of chocolate cake to me. Fun!

Deborah

Kathryn Day
09-07-2004, 12:59 PM
:clap: Happy Birthday, Deborah!!!!

K Taylor-Green
09-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Sandy, You talked me into it. Photos from Megan's wedding, last August.
There were so many good ones, it was hard to choose. BTY, my sister made the bridesmaid dresses, including the maternity one for my oldest daughter.
What I do with pastel sticks, she does with a sewing machine! She is sooo talanted.

meowmeow
09-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Wasn'tthat fun, Kate? :D Those are lovely...your daughter's dress is terrific...so fresh and young looking! And I love the dresses your sister made. The grounds look beautiful...is that a gazebo there in the background?

Happy birthday Deborah! It sounds like you are having a perfect birthday celebration! Have fun!

My "dress" by the way was actually pants with sheer panels. It was sooo comfortable. And I even have another wedding to go to in October where I can wear it all again! Except new shoes...definitely. OUch!

MollyUnlimited
09-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and just starting to recognize names. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBORAH!!! I hope you have a lovely day - exaclty as you hope for.

This is a neat way to get to know what we all do, so here goes!
School is starting this week (in earnest) for my kids and therefore, for me. I am homeschooling three children in 2nd, 7th and 10th grade. Actually, they are enrolled in a Pennsylvania Cyber Charter school, which is a public school that provides a curriculum, computers and support (books/materials) and we do the work at home. It's fun and challenging and also terrific for teaching good self study habits. I chose to leave the corporate world nearly two years ago after 25 years in IT, most recently VP of IT Service Management for Bank One Credit Card Services. It took me about a year to "detox". Now, I am working from home as a life coach, helping people work out strategies to live their dreams, meet their goals and enrich their lives. I specialize in working with people who deal with Attention Deficit Disorder in their lives, where either, they have it themselves or their spouse or child has it.

So anyway, life is full, busy and best of all bursting with ART. If anyone lives or travels near southeastern PA (Philadephia or Wilmington DE areas), let me know. I'd love to meet or visit with you. I live about 10 minutes drive from Longwood Gardens (see www.longwoodgardens.org). Longwood is a SUPERB source for gorgrous landscape and garden references. Just spectacular.

Take care!

- Molly

Artistammy
09-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Why did nobody ever tell me a dog brings so much dirt in the house?? Is there anyway I can teach my dog to wipe his feet on the doormat?LOL I wish they did it themselves but we do it for our dog. Have a towel by the back door. We only do it when it's wet & she has dirt, grass or mud clinging to her feet.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEBORAH!

K Taylor-Green
09-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Sandy, yes, a gazebo. We had the wedding in Goodale Park in Columbus. The weather was just perfect, not humid at all. We had the reception at a BEAUTIFUL Greek Cathedral, 2 blocks away. Only Megan, getting married outdoors, and having the reception in a church!!

Sooz, I compromised on the pastels. Ordered the Gerault earthtone set (on sale) and several Blokx darks in open stock. Jerry's is having a sale!!

Welcome, Molly. Here is where the fun usually is! Good for you, doing something so worth while.

I don't think Dee saw my early birthday wish, so here is one on time. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBORAH!!!

Tammy, Lol, I always keep a towel by the door for wet doggy paws and bellies, too! They have learned to wait to be dried off, instead of running pell-mell inside.

Later all.

E-J
09-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Happy birthday, Deborah! Have a good one :)

Deborah Secor
09-07-2004, 05:33 PM
I wanted to share with you...I got the neatest gift.. a CD with classical music on it and the sounds of rain in the background. At first I thought it would be weird but after litening for a bit I realized it is soooo soooooothing. The sound of rain is delightful!

Deborah

Deborah Secor
09-07-2004, 05:38 PM
AWWW! You are all so sweet! Thank you for your birthday wishes!! You are all treasured friends... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/23609-kiss.gif

(((((Group Hug!!)))))

Deborah

Kitty Wallis
09-07-2004, 05:45 PM
OOoooops Missed the group hug.

Happy Birthday, Deborah

With affection,
Kitty

AWWW! You are all so sweet! Thank you for your birthday wishes!! You are all treasured friends... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2004/23609-kiss.gif

(((((Group Hug!!)))))

Deborah

Deborah Secor
09-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Nah, Kitty--it's a retroactive group hug! Thanks... :D

khourianya
09-07-2004, 09:57 PM
Happy birthday Deborah!!!!

This week has started off with a bang and it looks like my busy streak at work has no intention of ending for a couple more weeks (Oh well, start of the semester is always busy - getting all of the e-learning components online for the new semester and all). Luckilly I think I am through ith all of the overtime that the past 3 weeks had brought with it. At least I still have my evenings.

I treated myself to a couple of sets of half stick pastels on eay this week (80 stick Sennelier and 24 stick Winsor and Newton) I figured that if my work life was going to be stressful, I would just compensate with extra colours for when I have my "me" time! lol

Hope everyone has a good week! :cat:

prestonsega
09-07-2004, 11:58 PM
and how about Preston? I just heard that SE GA is getting hit by Frances...

Libby...I appreciate your concern. Yes we had wind gusts of 45 mph.. over 24 hours of hard winds and rain....no trees down on this property but three big limbs large enough to qualify for trees fell...one so close to the house that it scraped the side of the house 3 feet from the ground. I am not going to worry about cleaning the yard till we see if Ivan comes our way. Our neighborhood was one of the few around here that didn't lose power. It was great sleeping weather!!!! I love a good storm,...stayed off the internet for fear of an electrical surge.

If ya'll haven''t had a chance yet, check out the weekly sketch thread. It has started off with a bang....would be nice to see more of you guys in there..I find it to be so free to paint fast without worrying about how its going to turn out.

soap
09-08-2004, 04:12 AM
towel at the door.........yeah I know........but I often leave the backdoor open so she can ravage the garden..........I suppose I should not do that....LOL.......btw, my dog is having a fake pregnancy (why oh why do dogs have that? - probably to join in with me :D) and is sooo cuddly and licky and constantly wants attention.......sweet and driving me nuts at the same time.

Anybody seen Mo around?

Mikki Petersen
09-08-2004, 01:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2004/14550-draperies_meet_stalagmites.jpg
Hello from Santa Fe! We are back up north and on line and the photo is proof that we finally made it to Carlsbad Caverns. It was well worth the effort. John only went along to appease me but now he can't stop talking about how amazing it is. We took some 400 shots of the caves and a lot of them look like interesting abstracts. I think it will be fun to use them for inspiration for some play therapy with my pastels. I may do an album for the RIL just because these are so different. Here's a sample:

soap
09-08-2004, 01:11 PM
WOW! I love caves - These look magnificent!!

Mikki Petersen
09-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Happy Birthday (a day late) Deborah! We are going to stick around here until Friday so I can drop down to Albiquerque to sit in on your Thursday class. Is it still on? BTW, I have one of those CDs with thunder rumbling in the background. Sounds scary but it's so relaxing.

Preston, glad to see you are okay. On the news they were showing that the debris from one storm becomes projectile missiles for the next storm. Are you sure you don't need to clean up until after Ivan decides his course?

Libby, good luck with all the stressful stuff you are going through right now. I find that anything worth doing is usually wrapped around a lot of work and stress...just think of it as a labor of love. Once we are home and settled back in, it would be great if you and Barb could come up for a visit. Apple Hill will be open and the fall colors will be showing by then.

Molly, welcome aboard! Boy, have you got your hands full. Should be a consolation to Libby that you still find time for art with three kids home schooling! As for the ADD thing, a number of us are dealing with kids afflicted.

Hope I haven't missed anything... Oh, the new truck is wonderful. I have to keep checking the rearview mirror to see if the trailer is still back there. No strain at all on hills and we fly on the straightaway. I've never had the experience of needing to slow down to stay under the spped limit while pulling the trailer!

Kat, glad your Mom weathered the storm.

Sandy, I've so enjoyed the photos of your daughter's wedding. They bring back memories of my kids' weddings. Because I'm a softy for anything to do with kids, I love the photo of the flower girl and ring bearer best.

PJ, thanks for the recipe. John and I have really enjoyed that jelly. So much better than anything we can buy.

Look out Sooz! We are heading north on Friday! We are slow though. Plan to stop in Las Vegas, NM and Trinidad along the way. Get those pastels ready!

Mikki Petersen
09-08-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm surfing backwards on this thread...

Sooz! DO NOT CLEAN YOUR HOUSE FOR ME! I loathe the very idea of making work for you. I don't even need to see your house if you are not comfortable. We can meet in public places, if need be, but do not clean for us! We want to see you, not your house!

Kate, your wedding photos are also lovely. Those dresses are remarkable. Your sister did a great job designing an maternity dress that fits right in with the rest. Of course, I love the kids best again.

Sophie, glad you like the cave pix. Hope your life turns to art again quickly. You are so GOOD!

E-J, same for you. Two of our most talented ladies in a slump, hummph!

bogbeast
09-08-2004, 01:59 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEBORAH!!!

sorry it's a bit late.

I can't seem to stay away from WC entirely--although at the moment, anything is better than cleaning house and installing childproff latches! But I have to keep checking up on the latest news, it seems. I even missed you guys while vacationing in Tahoe!

Mikki, I have a 25+ year old photo of the "Lion's Tail" in my album that is almost identical! Aren't the caverns fantastic??? you are right about the abstract possibilities, too--I have a few of those from the mineral deposits in Yellowstone, too, need to pull out the photo box---oops, later, AFTER next Wed! and it sounds like the new truck is quite the improvement on the old one!

At last the temperatures here are coming down, a couple degrees each day. As usual, the weather "experts" keep predicting 83, and it turns out to be 97...

the wedding pix are lovely, both of you!

I have to run off for more socket plugs and the like, and find more dust bunnies to battle....

Deborah Secor
09-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Preston, forgive me for not getting into the sketch thread this week. I have a painting in progress but it's wonky as all get out, and I've done at least 90 minutes on it so far, so I guess I don't qulaify. :rolleyes: Do my excuses work? :o And you take care through all these storms.

Hmmmm, good question, Sofie, where is Mo?

Yay, Mikki! So glad you'll make it to class!!! Our topic is painting the night and the gang is looking forward to it, I think, so we'll probably have a full house. Bring your easel and pastels. First we'll have a short critique of paintings in progress--so if you want to, bring anything alone... Then I'll do a lecture/demo for an hour or so, and then we'll paint. John can join us or we can make suggestions for nearby walks. Petroglyph Park is interesting. BTW, I've lived in NM since 1981 and have never yet gotten to the Caverns! Weird. Someone said it was one of the things that made you a local...

Libby, hang in there. Wednesday will be here before you know it! :eek:

Golly--I like this...extra days of birthday wishes! Thanks all of you... I had a great day yesterday being 'lazy'--which means painting, not cooking or doing dishes, and putting the new ESP together. My sweet, sweet hubby made the world's greatest green chile enchiladas (with non-dairy cheese and sour cream! WOW!) and also served me a huge helping of my favorite in all the world chocolate cake and (soy) 'ice cream'. I was in heaven gastronomically, until later... I think this low-carb, low-sugar diet I've been on for a month has so changed my metabolism I was running too hot all night! I just never felt all the way asleep. I'm back on the regimen today, trust me. That cake will have to find another home... :crying:

Okay, gonna go un-wonk that painting now (I HOPE) and plan tomorrow's class.

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
09-08-2004, 03:26 PM
Deborah, I followed the original Atkins diet 20 some odd years ago and lost 125 lbs in about 13 months. I kept it all off for many years because the diet so changes your taste in food. I also found that eating a carb laden meal would through my intestinal tract into fits for several days. Today, ironically, being diabetic, I cannot follow a low-carb diet because of nerve damage that has slowed down my digestion. Meat just lays there for days. the result is that now, with carbs being a lot of what I can eat...I have gained 40 pounds over the past four years. And now low-carb is in fashion! I'm just never in the flow, ya know?

I'm definitely going to be in class and John is bringing his book. After 30 years as a cop, he has great patience for just sitting and waiting. :rolleyes:

As for the Caverns, I understand the "local" thing. I, a Californian, only visited Yosemite for the first time a couple of years ago. Yosemite was worth seeing. The Caverns are definitely worth the trip south. The drive is intensely boring but with 75 mph speeds most of the way, it goes by quickly. When you get to the Caverns, there is little of interest above ground but when you step out of the elevator 820 feet below the surface, you step into one of God's best works of art! I was not kidding about 400 photos between the two of us. And I have not altered the colors on any of these pix. That's what the flash picked up. Thank Heaven for digital cameras or we'd have to mortgage the house to pay for developing!

I tried answering your e-mail but I keep getting dumped...dunno why...we are figuring 1.5 hours travel to get south of Alb. from H-285 and I-25. Sound about right?

Deborah Secor
09-08-2004, 03:38 PM
I've done the South Beach, which isn't so heavy on meat, just sensible carbs and the right fats. I've beenlosing a lot, too, and I feel much better. It is easy to buy things that are low in carbs now, happily--though some of the things marked in big red letters as low or no carbs are so ridiculous--like they ever had carbs to start with!

From where Cerrillos Road enters I-25 it's about an hour to the Paseo del Norte turnoff--at 75 MPH. Then maybe 10 or so minutes to the church classroom. We'll be there at 11:00, so be early if you want! Any time will work fine...

Deborah

Khadres
09-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Sheesh...almost missed all Mikki's messages since the system brought to the "last unread" as being Deb's last message...good thing I looked at the previous page, too!

Mikki, glad you don't care about my clean house, cause of course there's no way it's ever C L E A N more than half a minute anyway! Not with four dogs and three messy people knocking around in it! And of course, you're welcome here (if y'all can stand it, we sure can! :rolleyes: )! No kiddin', I'm really lookin' forward to your visit...it's been YEARS since we've had out of towners come through...everybody seems to think we should go see THEM these days (like THAT'S gonna happen).

I'm really hoping that the Garden of the Gods will be emptied out somewhat by the time you come, altho the weekends are always a mess, it's gotta be better than pre-Labor Day. We'll want to go there for photos and/or sketching either early or late in the day for the lovely blue shadows on the red rocks.

During the day, we can head up into the hills or over toward Canon City...there's always stuff to sketch around there...and then there's Westcliffe and Rosita...or or or or ....can you tell I don't get out of the house much???

I've got a painting at the "ugly" stage downstairs...not sure when I'll get to perform a makeover on it to bring it up to par, but I was looking at it the other day and thinking, yep, THAT'S definitely the UGLY stage right there!

And we're back to having to water the yard again...no rain in three weeks at least...well, not enough ot make an impression anyway. Too bad the hurricane folks can't just waft a couple SMALL thunderstorms our way, eh Deb?

I had a bizarre idea last night as the kid was cleaning out the fridge in the kitchen...what sort of abstracts could one get out of the unidentifiable stuff one finds at the back of their refrigerators? Think of all those blues and greens and amorphous grays! We could do little sketches for Preston's sketch thread and challenge one another to figure out what the subject once WAS!

Anyway, I slept too late, once I finally slept so I'm off to do SOMEthing productive, I hope. Older daughter went in for removal of a cyst somewhere in her abdomen this morning...she's been in a lot of pain lately, poor girl...supposedly the surgery was just going to be a "minor" lapro thing, but I'm still waiting to hear how that went. She's had more than her share of health issues in her short life...if y'all can keep her in your thoughts a bit, we both would surely appreciate it!

Khadres
09-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Well, as usual, nothing ever goes easily in this family...older daughter (Monica, who lives in Alamogordo) had supposedly "minor" surgery this morning to remove a cyst on a remnant of an ovary which could not be removed during her hysterectomy due to the fact that it had meshed with her bowel. No big deal, they said. An hour maybe.

We just got a call from her husband that the surgery went closer to three hours and when they had her in recovery, they noticed blood in her urine and NOW they're opening her clear up (yet again) to find where they "nicked" the bladder! This poor girl is already a mass of painful scar tissue inside from previous messes they've made and I'm close to losing patience!

Anyway, we're sitting here waiting to hear how this current problem turns out! Your prayers and thoughts are needed once again...sighhhhhhhhhhhh

meowmeow
09-08-2004, 07:42 PM
((Sooz)) SOunds painful just reading about it! You guys really deserve a break...I hope they get her fixed up real soon. Hugs for all of you!!!

Deborah Secor
09-08-2004, 07:55 PM
I'll keep her in my prayers, Sooz. Keep us posted. ((((hug))))

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
09-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Sooz, I have you both in my heart and thoughts. Blessed be.

Kathryn Wilson
09-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Whew - and I thought we had things bad here. Finally back online - then to see the news about Sooz' daughter. It does sound painful - hope they get it resolved. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Things have been a mess in North Carolina thanks to Ms. Frances - no power, wind, tons of rain (tried to send to you Dee), tornado watches and warnings, and then ISP problems.

I've missed so much that I don't know where to start!

Glad to be back - :)

Khadres
09-08-2004, 11:30 PM
Well, thank heavens, the son-in-law just called and said she's through the second surgery okay...in ICU for a couple days while they check for more bleeding, then into a normal room for a week at least....which tells me that they must've made a real mess of it this time....she's never been kept in that long before even for the hysterectomy. I sure hope this is it this time, that they fixed everything for good and that she's not in too much pain. She's a tough kid but sure had some hard luck at times.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers....AGAIN! Now I've just got to go find some flowers to send her, specially since Friday's her birthday....

Kat, glad the storm's finally cleared out of your area! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Ivan blows itself out before it hits the states!

pjo
09-09-2004, 08:43 AM
Hi everyone, boy when you come in on a Thursday morning you find you miss a whole lotta stuff.

First off :wave: Happy Birthday Deborah! I'm sorry I'm so late. It sounds as though you have had a restful birthday, how nice to have a girls lunch out, and that your husband made you dinner and cake, Yum! I wish I could go to Thursdays class, my daughter still bugs me to paint a nighttime stormy sky, and it would be great fun to see Mikki again, but my husband has a Dr visit and I have PT.

Kat-I'm glad to hear your mom weathered Francis well, so did my daughter and grandson. Praying now that Ivan, turns to sea or peters out before landfall.

Sandy and Kate, great wedding photos, and beautiful bridesmaids dresses your sister made, she is very talented. I love looking at wedding photos.

Sooz-I hope all your husbands appointments go well this week, and so sorry to hear about your daughters complications. It sounds as though she has endometriosis? I had a couple of surgeries for that about 10 years ago, and things were "stuck" together with scar tissue too. I will add her to my prayers and also pray for easing of her pain, and no further complications. Keep us informed of how she's doing.

Welcome Molly-Welcome, you are a busy lady, I admire you for homeschooling your children. My daughter (27 now) has ADD and homeschooling would have been much better for her. What a wonderful thing to be a life coach for people with ADD, I wish you lived closer to my daughter, we've talked about her hiring a "coach", but with being a single mom, she hasn't been able to do it yet. Hmmm, maybe for a birthday present.

Mikki-Beautiful photos of the Caverns. We took our grandson about two summers ago, and just loved it. It's just so amazing, I'm so in "awe" of creation. I wish I could see you on Thursday, but won't be able to make it to Deborah's class :( . Continue having a safe trip, I'm glad you are enjoying yourself.

prestonsega
09-09-2004, 07:35 PM
I got an interesting request for a portrait from a lady who has AIDS. She is not in denial of any sort and takes really good care of herself, but she has seen the ravaging effects the disease takes on the physical appearance of its victims. She wants a portrait of her healthy self now to be displayed at her funeral in leu of an open casket. I have done some post humous portraits, but never before the subject was deceased. I felt very honored that she chose me to be a part of this important plan for the end of her life.

Deborah Secor
09-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Paula, thanks... :)

Preston, that's wonderful. Will you do this from life, then? It is an honor to be asked to do this...and you'll do a great job, I know!

Mikki and John made it to my class today. It was so much fun to get to see them again. You should see that snazzy-lookin' truck they have! Whoooo! It should pull anything with no problem! Anyway, she showed us a painting of a mesa she did recently and it was really beautiful. (Though she groused about 'brown' rivers! I prefer to think of them as lavender or coral... :p )Today we did nighttime paintings so she painted the moon over some mountains--very nice. Talented lady. They were heading north to Santa Fe via the east side of the mountains--then on to Sooz, I guess.... Hope all goes well. :D

Deborah

prestonsega
09-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Dee.......The client brought a photo that was taken by an accomplished novice photographer. It is well lighted in that the facial tones really define the shape......I will probably try to take pics of my own, but I started a color study last night of her photo and think that with here sitting for me under simulated lighting, I can pull it off....one thing that is in my favor is she wears glasses which I find makes the eyes easier to render.

:envy: I want to go to a class of yours!! whine,whine.....Oh well, one never knows what tomorrow holds!!! :)

Khadres
09-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Wow, Preston...can we see the portrait when you're done? I imagine she might not want others to see it now, and I could understand that too. That is such a horrible disease; I can't imagine having to wait for it to take its toll like that.

Glad Mikki made it to class, Deb! Very glad to hear they're doing well with the new truck, too; there's nothing more disheartening on a trip than car/truck trouble!

I will have to admit, Gary's news from his doctor visits today are a bit unnerving altho he's taking it in stride well enough...they did an echocardiogram on him and found a clot in his heart! Sooooo....he has to get blood thinner shots twice daily through the weekend and then another echog. to see if that dissolved it. No idea what caused it to crop up at all. Otherwise, he seems to be doing very well. With all that blood thinner in him, I'm definitely gonna want to keep him away from sharp objects, I think!
:eek:

Between him and Monica, I begin to think we're ALL falling apart! We plan to call Monica this evening as she was supposed to be put in a regular room by then. I'll bet she's fit to be tied; she's almost as bad as me about staying in hospitals and that ain't good!

It's definitely warm here today again....I think we're going to have some more belated summer now that the rain has all gone east. And to think that last week we were having to let the furnace kick in in the mornings!

I really am keeping my fingers crossed for all you southeasterners! Just saw a thingy on the telly about Granada having something like 90% of its houses destroyed by Ivan! Yikes! Also heard that Japan has had SEVEN typhoons this year, so far! This year definitely seems intent on setting records everywhere! Here's hoping everyone stays safe and well!

bnoonan
09-09-2004, 10:02 PM
Just dropped in to catch up - wow what a busy week and a roller coaster ride for some of you. Sooz - we're all rooting for Gary and your daughter. remember take all that angry energy about the surgery and put it to good use with positive vibes. It will go down easier that way. Like a spoonful of sugar! Best wishes and remember - put away those knitting needles no matter what Gary does this week.

Preston - congratulations on your portrait and being selected for such an honorable event. This person is thinking ahead and for that I commend them. It's going to be just another one your typical great paintings!!!

Deborah - glad to hear Mikki & John's visit went well and that they are driving fancy wheels... Can't wait to see what they post for the artwork done - (that means you too). I can just imagine that moonlit scenery - you do live in a beautifl part of the world.

As for Ivan - well I'll say my prayers again for all of those Floridians and recipients up north. Not a good time to be in the storm's path that's for sure.

Off to go out for dinner - I am not on the South Beach Diet but should be - however I am walking 1.5 hours each morning so it has to eventually count for something... doesn't it??? Oh I hope so...

Bye Barb

Mikki Petersen
09-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi gang! I got to attend one of Deborah's Thursday classes today! What a treat! First they lovingly critique everyone's latest effort, then Deborah does a talk and a demo of the week's topic and then we all sat down and tried out the technique with lots of help from Deborah. Her students are a lovely group of serious painters who are frighteningly talented. Of course, Deborah has been mentoring them which has to help.

Yesterday afternoon I pulled out my new set of Girault pastels and started a small painting from a very recent photo. Four classes in the last two weeks with four different and very talented artist/instructors have REALLY helped. I did a pretty decent painting in under two hours (remarkable for me). I just felt like I knew better what to do and how to go about it. I'm beginning to want to be back in my studio...but I'm also loving being on the road. It is very broadening to watch others perform the tasks you have been attempting. Kitty, Maggie, Deborah and Jackie all have differing approaches but many similarities in technique and philosophy. No I didn't take a class from Jackie (yet) but I got to peek over her shoulder in Kitty's color class. Anyway, I'll post my little painting over in the Studio and see if you can see any differences in my work.

Sooz, I feel so bad for your daughter :crying: ...a close friend of mine had a hysterectomy about seven years ago and they nicked her urethra/ureter whichever a woman has...it took nearly a month of her dribbling through incontinence panties for the docs to even admit something was wrong. Then she had to have surgery and wear a catheter for four months. In all she missed over six months off work. At least your daughter's doc was good enough to figure out something was wrong and fix it. Hope she heals well and has better health in the future. Female problems really can bring one down.

We leave tomorrow morning for Las Vegas NM and Trinidad, CO. I am really going to miss Santa Fe. We have begun feeling really at home here. Sooz, all the places you speak of sound very interesting. Are you going to be able to take time away from Gary, though? His condition sounds quite scary.

Preston, good for you! All those life painting classes are paying off now. You have a fine eye for people and I predict great success with your current endeavor. What a heavy responsibility to carry though...you can do it and it will be so rewarding to do what you love to do and have it give such comfort to someone else.

PJ, I cannot believe you have a grandchild! You still look like a kid yourself. Congratulations on wearing the years so well. I'm sorry you did not make class today because it would have been nice to see you again before heading out. I'm jealous you live where you can attend Deborah's classes. When I get home, I'm going to begin a search for a local mentor or at least an artist's group. Wet Canvas is wonderful and helps so much but real live hands on is amazing.

So glad you Southeasterners are surviving the vicious weather. I keep you all in my prayers and positive thoughts.

Happy painting!

E-J
09-10-2004, 05:25 AM
Sooz, I hope your daughter feels better soon. Isn't it unfair that health problems always seem to hit the same unlucky people time and again?

Mikki, thanks for turning me green with envy at your getting the chance to paint with Deborah! :D I promise to be out of my slump very soon ... should finally start work on my 'dog' commission this weekend! We went through all the possible reference shots yesterday and I'm going to try out a few sketches to see which pose/background my friend and client would prefer.

Deborah, I started out with Atkins and have been following a low-carb diet for over 2 years now. I lost 22lbs, my skin is much clearer, I've got loads more energy these days and I really enjoy all my food. So I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that you stick with it!!

Preston, it seems from the kind of commissions you attract that people around you have great trust and faith in you as an artist and a person ... I'm always impressed by the meaningfulness of the portraits you do.

Well, I'll be back online on my return from my painting workshop in Languedoc-Roussillon in south-west France! Officially excited now - bigtime!! See you all again on 20 September.

prestonsega
09-10-2004, 07:26 AM
Preston, it seems from the kind of commissions you attract that people around you have great trust and faith in you as an artist and a person ... I'm always impressed by the meaningfulness of the portraits you do.

This one came as a surprise for sure.but as I said I was very honored to be a part of this persons life all the way to the end... It 's going to be colorful and happy!

meowmeow
09-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Beautiful photos Mikki! Glad to see you are having fun!!!

Khadres
09-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Hmmm, it's kinda overcast here this morning and I woke up wondering if it would be sunny down south so Miikki and John get to see everything. The very first time we came to Colorado from Texas we were disappointed...it rained like crazy for the first four days and we couldn't even SEE the mountains...not even Pikes Peak when we got to the Springs! We kept asking people, "Where are all the mountains???"

I talked to Monica last night and she sounded very weak and despondent, poor girl. Today's her birthday and I'm sure she'd rather be anywhere than where she is. She said her lower abdomen was undergoing constant spasms and the pain meds weren't doing much to help. I hope they gave her something to help her sleep; there's nothing like being in horrible pain and unable to even sleep part of it away.

Gary's off to get his next blood thinner shot...will have to give them to himself over the weekend...heaven forbid the health providers should miss their weekend for a blood clot, you know! :rolleyes:

At least I seem to be hanging in there with only a bit of asthma to complain of. Really looking forward to Mikki's visit, tho not sure when they'll get this far north...they may get too captivated by Trinidad and the Cucharas area!

I do agree with you, Mikki, having someone to work with, even if not a teacher, makes a LOT of difference! I have a friend who insists that artists of any kind NEED the company of other artists to grow and thrive. I think he's right!

I'd LOVE to have a class with Deborah, too! Kitty, too! Jackie, too! But I really have to agree...WetCanvas has been the next best thing, for sure! I really wonder if I would still be pastelling at all if I hadn't found this place!

EJ, I'm sure you're going to have a total blast on your trip! And I'm hoping Jackie is making TONS of sales at her London gallery show! What a busy time of year this seems to be!

Anyway, I suppose I should maybe start in on the laundry...there's ALWAYS laundry to do! But when Mikki gets here, it's nothing but PASTELS! Yiippie!

Dark_Shades
09-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Mikki, fantastic photos ...... they would look great in pastels too ....

Dee, sorry to have missed your Birthday..... but at least its your Birthday Week .... Happy Birthday :) ....

Sooz, sorry to hear your daughter is suffering, lets hope she's now over the worse, and on the road to a full healthy recovery ....

Preston, congratulations on your commission, am sure you will do a beautiful job.... I hope we get to see the result.... think commissions are very daunting at the best of times.... so I hope the added circumstances dont cause to much of added stress...

EJ, you will have a fantastic time, cant wait to see and hear about it ..... was thinking perhaps we should club together and fund Dee and Maggie to come over..... perhaps we could tempt them with a Knees Up ... lololol

.... well as for me, its been MANIC!! lol .... what with everyone troopsing through my house and cupbaords :p :) .... went to my Niece's wedding weekend before last, and even at the reception we were getting calls for viewers to book.. :p :rolleyes: lol ...... and had to leave early the following day as more potential buyers coming... went back to view the house we were interested in...... and guess what!!! ......... lolol I didnt like it anymore ha ha ha .... thought the one we already have is much better .... and nothing to be gained by moving, except for alot of hassle and expense.... so we have taken ours off the market!! ... so, what was I doing last weekend ... ????? .... demolishing some walls that still remain in our house..... now have a lot of mess to sort out ha ha ...... but, have a big bedroom, that is the width of the house :) ..... and going to be a conservatory on the back into the garden, making it a dining room..... and put a skylight in the roof ..... want it all done and finished before Christmas..... very busy at work, as have to cover short staff on holidays :p ..... Ohhhhh anddddd, we have a special visitor coming on Monday... (think it is) ..... the Princess of Thailand !!!! <<<< havent even had a chance to tell Hubbie that lol :eek: (didnt know they had one, so must go off and find a pic :D) ...... thats at work, not viewing my house!!! HA HA HA ...
weird!!! ...... sold alot more paintings :confused: ..... and managed to start a painting on Tuesday, but only for an hour here and there
Our next door neighbours (the ones who burnt our shed down :p :rolleyes: ) are currently on honeymoon........... in..... Jamacia ....... and thats where the hurricane is right now :eek:

Khadres
09-10-2004, 07:32 PM
DS, you're a hoot! I know the feeling about the house thing, tho...the very thought of moving is enough to make me hunt the nearest noose! Glad to hear about all the sales! Amazing about the Princess...at first I thought she was coming to visit YOU and thought, oh, man, and she's got her walls down and everything!

Talked to Monica...poor thing sounds so unlike herself...you can hear the pain and weakness in her voice and her usual sense of humor is totally lacking as yet. She talked them into letting her go home, which I hope was a wise move...at least she has wonderful neighbors who can help out a bit! I'd go take care of her, but her house is really small and I'd likely be more trouble than worth at this point!

Well...you guys promise to be here when I fall flat on my face, right? I just signed up for a life drawing class at the local art school! ACK! It says it's supposed to be for beginners as well as seasoned artists, so maybe I won't be so entirely intimidated as I was at the thought of going into the open studio life sessions they have there. I figure if I can make it through this class (with a teacher to help me out), maybe I'll be ready for the open studio challenge. Human beings are NOT my long suit....all I've ever done before is head studies and failed miserably at getting a likeness in those despite two years of trying! So, get your pity pills ready for me! The class starts next week!

The great thing is, this class' timing is perfect...8 weeks and it'll hopefully be over before the rotten winter weather hits us. I'm such a wuss about driving on icy streets--especially in the dark! For some reason all the classes seem to be at night or so early in the morning I'd have to completely kill off my night owl tendencies...something I treasure now that I no longer have to hit the old time clock!

Awaiting word from Mikki and John...wondering if they've maybe gotten captivated with their meanderings between Santa Fe and here...there's lots to see along the way and it's so cool that they can take their time and enjoy themselves...I wouldn't know how to act if we didn't make all our trips at high speed and with limited potty breaks so that we can GET THERE before vacation time is up!

Anyway, I'm off to dig out that old newsprint pad and see if I have any vine charcoal left!

prestonsega
09-10-2004, 08:26 PM
I was going to go to take Kitty's class next week...sent depost and everything,,but things got crazy around here with family that I had to cancel several months ago,,,,so I said," Well I'll join up with Phyllis and the Georgia Plein Aire folks at Callaway Gardens this weekend ....torrential rains are presently occuring,,,,,but you know what ,,,God work is mysterious ways,,,,My show opens Sept. 27,....I needed to be here to prepare for the show,,,,isn't it wonderful how things can work out sometimes.......I did sell the PBJ painting and the pharmacist is delighted...He is going to be a big PR person for the show..will hand out flyers from his store.....I am thinking of having stamps made with one of my paintings to place on the mailed invitations ( our postman) to the opening It seems relatively cheap and quite novel! Soft drinks only,,no wine,,but we are in the bible belt and it is a public library......Now I am getting excited!!!! Any tips on pricing (you guys have seen my work so I won;t be offended if you tell me to just give it away :D ) or show stuff would be greatly appreciated. I have checked out some of ya'lls sights and pricing.....I think some of ya'll are way too low!!!!

I plan on setting up in the library some of the days(pre planned and put in the local paper) and paint still lifes from object found in the building.,,,,,hopefully this will drum up business for students...ok...I'll quit rattling on.

Nori
09-10-2004, 08:36 PM
I haven't been able to access WC from my home computer (I can go everywhere else on the net) since my daughter tried to download a game, uninstalled it, cooked our color capabilities, restored our capabilities and went on her merry way.

I can get to the home page with some problem, can on occasion get to the pastel forum, but cannot access any threads or the ref. lib.

H E L P

Some have suggested spyware and virus scans, but nothing else is affected on the net. I am having serious withdrawals here. I can read WC at work but I cannot do any of the sharing of pictures and getting photo refs which I have to do at home.

I won't be able to check in until Monday when I am back at work. I feel a little teary... See you on Monday...

Deborah Secor
09-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Oh Nori--so sorry! I wish there was somthing we could do for ya... maybe one of our resident geeks or former geeks (self-described) will be able to help you!! Don't cry. I sure understand how frustrating that can be. I'll see if I can scare up some folks to make suggestions to you...

How is it I haven't gotten in here all day??? I've been out there, on the threads, but not here! I seem to have gotten unenrolled, um...whatever that word is..oh, yeah, unsubscribed! I've been on the puter all day, typing for hubby.

Sooz--life drawing--whoo hooo! You are gonna learn (or is it re-learn?) sooo much!! Have a blast. And let's be careful out there...

Dawn--I cannot believe you! All that showing and now you aren't gonna sell the house? LOL I'd be knocking out walls too--with my head! You have more energy than I dO. Reach over here and give me an injection of it, will ya? Oh, and I think I better go find my dictionary of English slang now... Hmmmmm...

Preston, rattle on! Sounds like you'll have an interesting time with this show. You can just give your paintings away to me, if you think that's all they're worth!!

Oh guess what?... just gonna whisper this to you all...today is Kat's birthday! Shhhh.... Anyone have cake and candles? Cards? How about balloons? I think we need to decorate this place! Who left his socks under that table over there??? And there's pastel dust on the table! (I love cyber-cleaning, it's the only kind I do regularly! Let me spruce this place up!) There--whaddaya think? Will she bE surprised?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KAT!!!!

Deborah

Khadres
09-11-2004, 12:09 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR KATTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

Deb! Help me with all this stuff! We're havin' a snack-o-rama with real live snacks! None of this healthy pooh tonight! Now where'd I put that hot fudge???

Nori
09-11-2004, 12:26 AM
Oh wow, oh my, I'm back! Happy Birthday Kat, another lovely Virgo. Happy belated felicitations to Deborah as well.

I e-mailed the WC Powers That Be and it was suggested I install Spybot. It worked and I can go anywhere on WC I like. I feel like I'm at Disneyland.

My daughter had the temerity to suggest that when I couldn't acces WC I could "get a life"...What Was She Thinking??

prestonsega
09-11-2004, 12:44 AM
Kat..your old enough to go into a club without being accompanied by an adult..You can throw that old fake ID away!!!!!!Seriously HAPPY BD!

Dee..If I hadn't found you and WC members I don't think my paintings would be worth even giving away....and I did order the USPS postage stamps with the painting(31634) of our mailman on it,,,they were relatively inexpensive,,,goint to be funny for him to deliver invitations with his picuture (well his back) in the right upper corner......Since my pharmacist is so much taken with my work,..(actually he is amazed at what you can do with pastels more than me, ) but I was wondering about sponsorship....anyone got any ideas,,,,,,the framing is going to be quite an investment. I was also thinking of raffling off a painting to support some charitable cause and selling tickets the week before the show,,,,,with the winner being announced at the opening,,,,it that getting too carnivalish?.I had no idea I was going to be so excited, but I've got friends from Alabama and Atlanta coming down. The high school principal is going to allow the librarian to hand out reciepts of attendance for extra school credit to students.

K Taylor-Green
09-11-2004, 01:02 AM
yeahhhhhhh!! Happy Birthday Kat!!!!

Khadres
09-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Nori my daughter has the same attitude...as long as it's someone ELSE'S PC. But just let HERS go offline and wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Kathryn Wilson
09-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Thanks guys! We had a great dinner last night at a place that serves carribean style food - very different, refreshing and delicious! Coconut prawns, sweet yam mash, talapia, pina colada, key lime pie - yum.

Now where's that fudge - a little chocolate after dinner just hits the spot - :D

According to dee, I'm 2 days older than dirt! :eek: :p

pjo
09-11-2004, 10:19 AM
Preston-you sound very excited about your upcoming show as you should be. A great big HOORAY from me to you.

and Kat- HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It sounds as though you had a good one, love that fudge.

Sooz-I'm so glad Monica was able to go home and hope she heals up quickly. And aren't you being brave over there trying something new, I hope you really really enjoy yourself.

I finally had a change to paint a bit yesterday, and am so glad to be able to spend a little more time here on WC than I have been lately. My husband is healing up, although we did have to take him in yesterday to check for a blood clot in his calf, thank the Lord it was all ok, he just has been overdoing it a bit. I came home from work on Thursday, and the stubborn guy was on a ladder replacing the vent covers on the air conditioner. At least his crutches were propped nearby. I've threatened to tie him down and sit on him, that'll teach him. I'm hoping to finally do a WDE this afternoon, I think I've missed the last 4 or 5. Hope everyone has a safe and wonderful weekend.

Deborah Secor
09-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks guys! We had a great dinner last night at a place that serves carribean style food - very different, refreshing and delicious! Coconut prawns, sweet yam mash, talapia, pina colada, key lime pie - yum.

Now where's that fudge - a little chocolate after dinner just hits the spot - :D

According to dee, I'm 2 days older than dirt! :eek: :p

Nuh uh! I didn't say that...I said...uh...well...never mind. <Dee passes the BIG plate of giant fudgey brownies to Kat with that look on her face...> Chocolate is for any time!

Love ya, Kat!

Deborah

bogbeast
09-11-2004, 02:08 PM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY KAT

We're in the home stretch on our own house stuff--thankfully, no renovating or selling involved! The crib is up ( I guess we are now officially qualified to be parents--again--as it rivaled any Christmas Eve bicycle assembly! And I used to overhaul my old 10-speed!) and full of balloons to keep the cats out. a little more shuffling, then we are down to massive cleaning--the top of the kitchen door jamb (yes, they say clean door jambs and no cobwebs anywhere--how many of you found the cleanliness of your door jambs impacted your parenting?!?) has 75 years-worth of oily gooey dust on it, and may not be cleanable--they've probably painted the goo in!

Then, last night, they turn off water to the whole building due to a pipe liking through a light fixture up stairs.....fortunately, it's back on now except to 2 apartments, but I don't know if it will stay on or not! Let's see, can I clean with wet-wipes?

Had some good luck yesterday, though, on a semi-artistic front--found a gold mine of matching pottery AND coordinating lining fabric for the portable communion kits, and my client LOVES it. So I spent twice what I'll make on this one stocking up: she's the Worship Director or some such at the school, and very active in a huge church in San Francisco, so she will make a great reference on the kits. If I make a couple more before the Christmas crafts sale on campus, I should be able to find good homes for them.

then, I can use the proceeds to buy more pastels! I'm looking forward to getting dusty again, as soon as this home study is over!!

Sooz, so sorry your daughter is having such difficulty--your family is having more than enough health problems. Have fun in your class, though!

Preston, I wish I was close enough to come to your show--You are starting to sound like quite the promoter for it, and your work deserves it! You go!!!

Uh-oh, Melissa is starting to move things around--I'd be sign off and go pull out my hammer and nails--I think its picture hanging time...but anything is better than the cleaning rag!!! :D

Deborah Secor
09-11-2004, 02:31 PM
a little more shuffling, then we are down to massive cleaning--the top of the kitchen door jamb (yes, they say clean door jambs and no cobwebs anywhere--how many of you found the cleanliness of your door jambs impacted your parenting?!?) has 75 years-worth of oily gooey dust on it, and may not be cleanable--they've probably painted the goo in!

All parenting starts with LABOR, I guess!

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
09-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Hmmm . . . let me see if I can remember this far back -

Mikki! Aren't the caverns an awe inspiring place - it is out of the way, but so worth it. Your photos are wonderful - will look forward to some interesting paintings out of those - :D

Preston - I just know you are going to do well at this show. I am amazed at the progress you have made in your work - you will deserve every bit of the success the show will be.

Sooz - those snackies were great - hmmm, especially the fudge - but paid for it after all is said and done - fudge and key lime pie - :eek:

PJ - will be looking forward to your WDE entry. Even if I don't participate, I always go and look to see what everyone has done.

Bogbeast - ahhhh, the cleaning and lining the nest syndrome - :D I remember that only too well. Back in the days when they had no way of telling it was a boy or girl - we painted the baby's bedroom pink - guess what :rolleyes: - it was a boy - :p

Khadres
09-11-2004, 04:07 PM
Back in the days when they had no way of telling it was a boy or girl - we painted the baby's bedroom pink - guess what :rolleyes: - it was a boy - :p

LOL...SURPRISE! I have that one beat...we had this neighbor -- she was a true nitwit anyway, not to put to fine a point on it, but anyway -- she was preggers and had all the modern tests and echos and such and sure enough, it was a BOY! Woohoo, whoopee, hallelujah, round and round the Xmas tree and all that, BUT....it was REALLY a sneaky little girl sending wrong signals! So here was this pretty little girl in baby boy outfits for the first year of her life...I sometimes wondered if she wound up a tomboy from wearing little he-man overalls and "li'l slugger" shirts so long. I rather doubt that was her biggest problem tho...her MOTHER would've been the biggest trial in that young life! The little thing was out in the front yard in her GI Joe walker (camoflage printed and everything) the day the mother threw her current boyfriend out (this one was an aging Japanese gardener/opera singer -- no kiddin'!...the bonus there was listening to him singing La Traviata while hanging out the wash!) in need of a green card. Apparently, so the story goes, he'd had the temerity to eat HER hotdogs for lunch (this was one of those my-food-your-food kinds of relationships evidently), so here was that baby girl in her walker gawking at cans of tuna as they came skimming the air over her little head and konking the Japanese man on his head and back as he hurried away down the street, his belongings stuffed in two plastic Safeway bags! I often wondered after that what those Japanese words were that he was muttering as he scurried down the sidewalk. She's long since moved out, thank heavens, but is still a legend of the neighborhood. She was really small potatoes compared to the folks across the way who kept having exorcisms on their children, tho.

meowmeow
09-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Yikes! Almost missed Kat's birthday!!! Happy birthday...even if I am a bit late. I hope this is a fabulous year for you!!!

I hopeyour daughter starts feeling better soon, Sooz! It sounds like quite an ordeal!

And yes, it sounds like this is "labor" Libby...keep us posted on how things are going.

Kathryn Wilson
09-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Sooz - you've had some really odd neighbors!

Sandy - thanks, it's never too late to wish someone a Happy Birthday - :D How are you doing up there in Maine? Are the leaves turning? And people burning their leaves? Oh, how I miss burning leaves and the encompanying smell. Of course, here in a fairly large city, we can only rake and dump in a pile to be collected for mulch. I know, I know - burning leaves is bad for the environment, but it does bring back so many wonderful memories. Like jumping into the pile of leaves with your kids -

This town is strangely silent tonight - we went out to dinner and hardly anyone in the restaurant - and whilst reading all the art books in the store, there was a hush and very few people. Is it because of 9/11? Anyone else having the same experience?

I bought a book that I've been looking at - one of International Artists publications on "How Did I Do That" for Still Lifes and Florals. Gearing up for Tom and Julie's Project - going to have to tackle still lifes sometime - although, I am escaping doing portraits but don't anybody tell them that - :wink2:

meowmeow
09-11-2004, 09:33 PM
The leaves are just starting to turn...I am really hoping for some decent painting weather this week. This is usually the point where we are back home and come up for an occasional weekend and I feel like I miss most of the good stuff. SO we'll see what I end up doing...it always sounds great but I don't always get out when I should.
Funny, now that you are asking about burning leaves...I don't think I see that here either. I know at home (near Boston) you are not allowed to do it anymore. They pick it up with the trash in special bags. I think it is the same here. But I remember that too...I remember the smell....it brings back memories from long, long ago. Too long!
Tomorrow is grandson's first football game!!! He is not quite nine and none of us were thrilled at the prospect of him playing football (except our son, his uncle, who loves football and used to play)....but he seems to be enjoying it and the exercise is really good for him. It should be a riot watching these little kids running around in their helmets and uniforms. Then we have a Coast Guard Auxiliary lobster cookout in the afternoon. All fun stuff but I don't get to paint...but I don't think I can complain either! :D

SweetBabyJ
09-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Many Happy Returns of the Day to the two natal-day lovelies here- may your next year be filled with joy.

I went shopping today- and NOT for pastels (much). I've not bought clothing for myself in probably two years- hard for me to justify the expense sometimes (but I think nothing of dropping a hundred and a half on Wallis- go figure!) So I now have FOUR pair of jeans, total, two new sweaters (I LOVE sweaters) another knock-around shirt and a new felt-ish-velvet-y suit- and they were all (say it with me Ladies) "On SALE!" It's so unusual for me to buy clothing like this I'm kinda afraid to wear it. It's washed, dried and folded- and slid neatly into the very back of my cupboard, as if, maybe I can fool myself into thinking the clothing fairy appeared one night and added new clothes to my cupboard....

Got my stuff for Kitty's class next weekend- and am thinking about cleaning all the pastels again and getting them packed, but not seriously enough to, like, go do it. Took over 100 still life set-up shots yesterday- got maybe 5 or 7 or so to look at for "real work"- used tangerines in a few so I'd always have fresh for from life- tangerines last a whole lot longer'n bananas- and I'd eat any grapes until all I had left to paint was empty twiplets. Hope I can keep the orchids alive long wnough- *sigh* my black thumb is notorious in the plant world- plants tremble in fear if I come into their nursery- it's some kind of racial plant memory.... Even seeds pretty much commit seed suicide before I even open the packet. They terminate rather than germinate.

Rain's back in the northwest- hopefully it won't get too depressing this year. Y'all be well, and happy next weeks to each and every.

Deborah Secor
09-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Julie, I can relate to shopping. I didn't get the shopping gene. I think it skipped a generation, or perhaps it's just mutated. My mom can while away hours in a mall, even with a walker at 93 years of age, and be happier when she leaves. I just get sore feet and a worse disposition than when I came in. Have to admit that the thrift shop is more my speed. (Mom has stopped asking me where I got things--I too often answer 'Goodwill' while in polite company!) Art supplies are more my speed, online especially, but I can justify it as a business expense, right?

Today is Sunday, and it's not quite 7AM yet. Hubby usually gets up at 4:30AM to study and prepare his sermon. I was rousted out of bed at 6 AM when he wakened me, pleading for me to make the coffee. His alarm had failed to go off. It was like being shot into the day. From full sleep to full on in 1.2 seconds! Now my son is still in bed and needs to leave in...oh...20 minutes to get to church where he leads worship (not the same location for the two of them.) At least he gets breakfast at church!

On top of all that there's a spider the size of a Buick in my sink. I hate that. I don't want it to die but it's too big for me to be very compassionate. And too big for me to kill. Maybe I'll just not go anywhere near the sink all day. But it might disappear--and then what do I do? Look for it? Expect it to come out of a crack? (Oh, hubby got it! Yay! Avoided the whole problem.)

So, this could be an interesting day... Should I go back to bed or stay up? If I go back I'll lie there half-awake. If I stay up I'll feel groggy all day. <mumble, mumble> I'll just go pray. That always makes me feel better. See ya all later...

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 12:01 PM
lol Deborah- what a way to start a day! I empathize- I hate being "shot" into wakefulness.

Spiders in sinks- here's what I do: Turn the hot water on and grab whatever I have to to scoop the water over onto the spider causing it to learn to swim mighty fast. Lots of water- LOTS- and HOT. Now spiders don't swim, per se, what they do is catch an air bubble in all those legs and kinda swirl around until they bump up onto something that they can crawl up onto- so LOTS of water, and let it drain on out. Soon as it swirls down the drain, MORE water. LOTS- and HOT- I figure once they get past that j-hook in the plumbing, they probably ain't coming back, and I just let Nature take its course. (If you're not so charitable, a wallop of ammonia down the drain too will definately make sure it goes to anachrid heaven, and leave your drain smelling clean and fresh.

Khadres
09-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Tsk! Don't you guys know it's bad LUCK to kill spiders??? I usually get a paper towel...invite the critter to take a ride on it and throw towel and all out in the yard, retrieving the towel for the trash later after the spider's gone elsewhere. Generally, I don't have any qualms about most other insects...those do get a sort of kosher coup de grace, however, as in SMUSH...no agony, no worry, just instant oblivion. I will do the capture and release thing for the following however: spiders (unless identifiable as deadly), praying mantis, dragon flies, lace wings, particularly pretty moths and all butterflies, etc. When it comes to bees, wasps, yellow jackets, and scorpions...with those, I just run, altho I did once ineptly smother a large scorpion to death with a wet sponge mop--after several tries. Luckily, where we live seems blessedly and naturally devoid of most lesser bugs such as roaches, fleas, ticks, etc. Apparently, there's something in the soil this end of time which most of those don't like. With those I take no prisoners and care not how they meet their demise. One has to have standards, you know.

Well, I haven't yet heard from the wandering Mikki and hubby...I'm beginning to think they might've decided to go on home or set up permanent housekeeping somewhere between Santa Fe and here. Granted, there are LOTS of byways to lure them afield along the way. Whatever, I hope they're having a good time and they have our phone number if and when they make it through here.

I think I'm going to have to break down and buy a mat cutter...I made a bid on a Logan 750 Simplex thingy on eBay...it'll either be that one or the 450; both looked pretty good at the Expo. Heaven only knows where I will PUT such a monster piece of equipment, but I just can't see paying ready made mat prices, much less CUSTOM cut ones! I remember their being a discussion of this in the forum awhile back, but can't recall who had what...any advice?

Deborah Secor
09-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Um, well, that's the method I use usually, Julie...hot water and lots of it. But suffice it to say that this spider was way too BIG to ever go down my drainpipe. Big. Um, too big for me to think about letting it ride on a paper towel, Sooz--it would've needed a shovel. Big. This is New Mexico,where we have wasps as big as hummingbirds (no kidding) and spiders seem to know no limits. It's the time of year when the male tarantulas migrate, and this may have been an immature male. I took one bleary-eyed look, backed away and and never saw it again. Hubby says he took care of it, bless his busy little heart. He knows how I am. (I started to wonder if it was hiding under the lettuce leaves that are still in the sink. I'm not sure whether his brother or another close relative might not be there... See how big this guy was?) <shudder>

Sorry to go on so! I'll stop now.........

Golly, hope Mikki and John show up soon, Sooz. Give 'em time! It's pretty scenic between here and there. I'd mosey up there too.

I think your descison about a mat cutter is a good one. Those were tempting me at the Expo too. There's a thread, somewhere around here....

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
09-12-2004, 01:16 PM
LOL - I'm chicken about spiders too! We have a garden spider right outside the kitchen window - but as long as he is on the other side of the glass I am okay with it as the web is a wonder to look at and the spider is beautiful in yellow and black.

I bought the 450 Logan mat cutter. It is LARGE and I let my hubby do all the cutting - so keep this in mind if you are the one to be using it.

SweetBabyJ
09-12-2004, 01:16 PM
Ohhh- the crunchy kind, Deborah- those get the ShopVac- and then I just get a whole new bag for the thing....

("crunchy" 'cause in the Mojave Desert and even in Oklahoma, when they'd migrate, there'd be droves of them on roads sometimes- and you could actually hear them as your tires went over 'em... ewwwwwwwww!)

MollyUnlimited
09-12-2004, 01:26 PM
SPIDERS!!!!!

Just a couple of days ago, as I was setting out to take my daughter to a church meeting, we noticed a HUGE spider had created a web between two of our cars. I was hoping that when I backed out it would stay "home", but it traveled all the way top church (about 7 miles!). When we arrived, I got out my camera (never miss an opportunity) and this is what I caught:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/49177-Spider_sm.JPG

Anyone who wants to use this as a reference feel free! If you have difficulty with either spiders or "animal" paintings, this would be a perfect subject. :evil:

When I was done with the photos, I used a stick to move the fellow onto a tree, thereby "donating" him to the church. :wink2:

Deborah Secor
09-12-2004, 01:52 PM
Yep--you got it Julie. Crunchable. <double shudder> Good grief, Molly--I never once considered getting out my camera. This one is actually quite a stunning looking spider. The ones around here are flatter, more splay-legged, and hairy black or gray. I do not think I'll be painting them...happily 'animals' are not my artistic bane! <whew!> Oh, and how kind to donate him to the church... ;)

Deborah

prestonsega
09-12-2004, 04:48 PM
:envy: "I bought the 450 Logan mat cutter. It is LARGE and I let my hubby do all the cutting ... :envy:

Not only am I envious of the new mat cutter, but also of you blessed pastelists who have spouses to do the dirty work of matting and framing! ;) Congrats on the new cutter Kat!

And for you arachnaphobes (as opposed to angoraphobes,,,people afraid of expensive sweaters)....your a bunch of wimps!!!! you need to stay in the south and fight off the palmetto bugs just to get to the sink :D

Khadres
09-12-2004, 05:54 PM
I hope you didn't mean me when you mentioned my spouse helping with framing, etc. I would rather bevel cut my own throat than let mine anywhere near a pristine piece of matboard! :p Mr. Precision, Gary is not, when it comes to things like that. Plus, he'd complain way too much about having to do it! LOL

And these "palmetto bugs"....I hope those aren't those monster-sized roach-like winged critters like we had in Okinawa! I almost had my first kid three months early when one of those landed on my leg one evening. But they grow 'em big over there...bout three inches long this one was as it scuttled up under my shirt.

As to the mat cutter thing...I'm just not happy being restricted to ready-made sizes and costs when I can get an entire sheet of mat board for less than one mat custom cut costs. Call me stingy if you will... Frames are gonna be bad enough! I don't envy ya getting ready for that show of yours in that regard!

prestonsega
09-12-2004, 07:06 PM
I would rather bevel cut my own throat than let mine anywhere near a pristine piece of matboard!

And these "palmetto bugs"....I hope those aren't those monster-sized roach-like winged critters like we had in Okinawa!

As to the mat cutter thing...I'm just not happy being restricted to ready-made sizes

LOL @ Sooz..that's a good one...and yep (locally pronounced "powmetter" bugs) ....them's the ones!

I guess I am experiencing growing pains...I have been working in standard sizes with plenty of rationalizations to not invest in what I know to be inevitable and necessary if I am serious about my art,,,something I question myself about everyday....

Today I am like the proverbial "deer caught in the headlights"'. ....can't seem to get anything accomplished, so I have resigned to the bedroom with pen and paper to jot thoughts down as they come.... Tomorrow is the first organizational meeting of local artists with hopes of forming an art society of sorts.....I was informed yesterday that I was expected to be in charge...I had plans of being a behind the scenes guy... :eek:...

Also we are planning on our biweekly hurricane :mad: This is really getting old in South GA,...I can't begin to imagine what the Floridians are feeling right now!

I have a question...how many paintings should one have in an opening??

Mikki Petersen
09-12-2004, 07:55 PM
Happy Birthday, Kat! Glad it was a nice one.

Sooz, I tried calling you but got a voice mail thing. We are here just west of Manitou Springs at the Lone Duck Campground on hwy 24. This was our greeting party:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/14550-100_0796_2.JPG

This is a weird connection (wifi) sort of comes and goes.

Khadres
09-12-2004, 08:45 PM
LOL, already collecting the wildlife for painting, eh? Isn't he pretty?

Glad ya finally got here...had begun to worry maybe John had zoomed around some of those hairpin turns to fast or something! :cool:

I'm waiting to see what the weather man predicts so that we can plan for the opposite :D. He's NEVER right! Hoping to talk on the phone here in a bit...

Deborah Secor
09-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Hey, Mikki, you have everything you need: stove, sink, pots and pans, Stellar's Jay--what more could you ask? (I bet he's discovered that the pans have goodies in them sometimes!)

Deborah

Mikki Petersen
09-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Deborah, you should have seen him going at my cell phone. All the shiny parts really caught his interest! I put a granola bar on the table and he hopped on it and surfed the table. Everytime he would peck at the bar it would creep! Just made our day! Can't tell you how many camping trips I've tried to get a good shot of one of these guys. This time he was so close I kept having to back up to focus the camera.

Colorado (west side) is scrumtious! Except that they welcomed us with a heat wave...91F is too darn close to home! I was spoiled in Santa Fe, got to wear pants most of the time. Back in shorts now :mad: . I'm really a winter kind of gal... Tomorrow morning we are meeting Sooz at the Garden of the Gods to plan our painting adventure. Cross your fingers for good weather (a little cooler please).

Yesterday, we drove the Avenue of Legends (CO State Hwy 12) and went to the summit of some peak at 10,000 ft above sea level. Guess what! I have a fall preview for ya'll.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/14550-100_0645_2.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/14550-100_0647_2.JPG

And last night at our camp on Trinidad Lake, we had a night visitor:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2004/14550-wabbit.jpg

When I get home, I will organize my photos and upload a bunch to the RIL. Kat how does one create an album in the RIL? I could really do a great Southwest album at this point...

I hope everyone has a great week coming up! Ours will end at home finally...

Kathryn Wilson
09-12-2004, 11:09 PM
When I get home, I will organize my photos and upload a bunch to the RIL. Kat how does one create an album in the RIL? I could really do a great Southwest album at this point...

Hi Mikki - your photos are gorgeous! Get in touch with the Guide or Moderator in the Library forum - I believe it is Ivy - and she can explain what to do.

That Stellar's Jay is wonderful - could be he is the resident pet. When we visited the Parks in Utah, there was always a huge Raven at each pull off to great us looking for food. Intelligent, but cautious.

Have a great time with Sooz!

Khadres
09-12-2004, 11:11 PM
That's a real BLUE jay....we don't have that many of those here, but lots of the grayish stellar's jays. Wonder if this is the one who winters over in our blue spruce? (He knows I throw peanuts out for the squirrels during the wintertime). She said this one was so tame....someone had probably made a pet of it over the summer, I'll bet.

Anyway, we're set to meet at the Garden of the Gods visitor center at 10 tomorrow morning for coffee and then out we go to PAINT and take photos! Woohoo! Wish us luck with weather, tourists, bugs, slithery things, etc. etc.! Geez, it's been soooo long since I had anybody to go paint with! Luckily, my travel box of pastels is still ready to go and my snazzy easel is set to try out, too, should we find a suitable spot. Luckily, Gary and John both like to read a lot, so they should hit it off just fine.

Anybody else wanna come along???

bnoonan
09-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Just jumping in to say hello and trying to catch up but I realize too much new so I'll just say I'm thinking of all of you. busy busy and that's a good thing.

Barb

(Happy belated b'day Kat and nice jay Mikki)

Khadres
09-13-2004, 12:19 AM
Preston, never having HAD an opening show, I don't know, but I would think a dozen of various sizes would be good for a library setting? I'm sure some of the others will know for sure. Would be fun to have more in case some sold right away to folks who just couldn't wait to take 'em, but...

OK, I'm adding this caveat....I don't have a dozen paintings, period! Good, bad, or indifferent! Suppose that's why I'm not HAVING an opening? :D Ok, ok, ONE of the reasons I'm not having an opening! LOL

prestonsega
09-13-2004, 12:42 AM
Preston, never having HAD an opening show, I don't know, but I would think a dozen of various sizes would be good for a library setting? I'm sure some of the others will know for sure. Would be fun to have more in case some sold right away to folks who just couldn't wait to take 'em, but...

OK, I'm adding this caveat....I don't have a dozen paintings, period! Good, bad, or indifferent! Suppose that's why I'm not HAVING an opening? :D Ok, ok, ONE of the reasons I'm not having an opening! LOL

I just counted....and I have 39 paintings to choose from...mostly 9"x12"'s..... that is of course if I finish the ones that are in progress. The library has those table easels that I can use on when the wall space runs out....plus I've made 4 standing portable display easels. ( materials cost....$5.50) In the group show 2 weeks ago we displayed 50 paintings.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2004/29946-diplayeasel.jpg

Khadres
09-14-2004, 01:05 AM
Preston, I'd say you DEFINITELY have enough paintings to make a great showing! Now, if they were all HUGE or something, I might see a space problem, but if they're all mid size or so, should be easy to take 'em all...you may wind up doing a lot of business through this...those are sizes people can AFFORD and yet they're big enough to really show what you can do! Wish I could be there to see it...you're going to take pics, rightttttttt?

Kitty Wallis
09-14-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi Preston, If you like them all then take them all but be careful about mixing the good with the not-so-good. I had to learn to edit my shows. Leaving a couple of so-so ones home made the whole show shine. I was surprised how powerfully those few second-rate ones brought down the level of the show.

Khadres
09-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Hi Preston, If you like them all then take them all but be careful about mixing the good with the not-so-good. I had to learn to edit my shows. Leaving a couple of so-so ones home made the whole show shine. I was surprised how powerfully those few second-rate ones brought down the level of the show.

I think sometimes it would be a little difficult for the artist to TELL whether all of them were equal in quality....what do ya do then? Ask for a second opinion? I mean gradually you'd doubtless be able to peg the clinkers, but as a person new to the show business, I'd probably wind up deciding they were ALL klinkers by the time I was done!

Kitty Wallis
09-14-2004, 02:51 AM
I think sometimes it would be a little difficult for the artist to TELL whether all of them were equal in quality....what do ya do then? Ask for a second opinion? I mean gradually you'd doubtless be able to peg the clinkers, but as a person new to the show business, I'd probably wind up deciding they were ALL klinkers by the time I was done!

I understand what you're saying. You might have that tendency more than I. I believe that a large part of art is discovering our blind spots, or attitude fixations. When I discover one I make a mental note that I'm not seeing clearly and tell myself to watch out for it.

For instance, in portraiture, there are parts of the face I don't see well, no matter how many I do. Practice helps me remember to watch out for those places, even tho I'm not better at seeing them I can compensate in known ways. Then when I make a heavy jaw on someone, for instance, I can find the problem quickly and correct it.

If you can't see the value of your work, in editing mode, then it might be a good idea to get editing help. Picasso did. I read a small book about a serigraph series he did after a bull fight. When he got home from the bullfight, ready to paint all he had seen, the first thing he did was call his help; among them was his trusted editor. This small crowd of 'helpers' hung around the house all day while Picasso sat in bed, visualizing the bullfight. When he was ready, he did 18 pieces, one after the other. I guess his cohorts did their bit when he was done. There wasn't anything in the book about that.

It was a photo essay by David Duncan. I hope I've remembered the details correctly.

prestonsega
09-14-2004, 03:26 AM

I learned a long time ago not to try to second guess John Q Public.....some of the things I despise others love,,guess that makes the horse race....I am going to beg an old artist friend who now own a wonderful frame shop and knows the area economy and art appreciation level...(she's framing some things for me at cost in exchange for putting an ad in my brochure and pass our 10% framing coupons..the group show set sort of a presidence (sp?)...particularly since a painting was bought by the local well respected pharmacist. I have a variety of what I consider different quality so I want to have a variety of prices so as to not exclued anyone,,but I also don't want to look needy...Actually I want to sort of over price some of them..Is that Wrong? There are status seeking people here that would buy them just because they are expensisve.

.Oh,,the stamp company declined my 31634 painting for a stamp,,,even though there are no markings that indicate usps,,,we all know. :( I may forgo that idea al together for now)

A young man who is now a grown man with kids was a student of mine when I first graduated from a less that great college....He was 10 y/o then. .He now wants to start lessons again...I am takin him on as a sort of "apprentice...."" He is a computer whiz and is going to help me with the show and exchange hour for hour lessons for assisance,,,,,,the universe is working with me!!!

Given that we were having a thunder storm we had 6 artists show up for our first Artist League organizational meeting...went smooth..everyone seems to be in aggreement on what we want the organizatoin to be (whew.....I was sweating that :eek:)

PS the reason that I have acrued so many completed paintings is that I am blessed in that I can paint everyday and you guys help me fix 'em up,,,,,Oh..I gave the WC web address to everyone and made an asigment..come in and at least lurk if not participate.....and PAINT THIS MONTH!

Lisa Olivarez
09-14-2004, 10:26 AM
but I was wondering about sponsorship....anyone got any ideas,,,,,,the framing is going to be quite an investment.

Preston, I'm in the same boat. I have spent so much on supplies lately that I don't know what I am going to do, and my show opens just after yours!
I had planned to make them all, but when I combined all of the work, plus materials, plus the carry-out food I'd have to feed my family...it became overwhelming.

I (cringe) bought a slew of oak ready-made frames last night at Meijer, a grocery store up here! I'm going to fudge with them and try to get them to work beautifully for me. I have a mat cutter, and lots of matboard(clearance sale at an art store! :clap: ) I really wish we could do this together. It sounds like you and I are having the same dilemmae???)What is the plural of dilemma???) I'll frame one and post it later. Maybe you all can tell me what you think. :(

Hope you are all weathering the storms well. I have half of my family in Fla. too, thankfully everyone is fine! Lisa

Kitty Wallis
09-14-2004, 04:29 PM
I got a frame company to do the framing for me once. In return for advertising value. It was in '82 and it was an opening of a major gallery in Santa Fe.

I'd look for a frame shop that was under-used, perhaps it's new, or reluctant to buy ads, for whatever reason. Offer a deal. Frame shops are interested in contacting the art-buying public.

prestonsega
09-14-2004, 05:53 PM
) I really wish we could do this together. It sounds like you and I are having the same dilemmae???)

misery love company!! :)

Lisa Olivarez
09-14-2004, 10:43 PM
I got a frame company to do the framing for me once. In return for advertising value. It was in '82 and it was an opening of a major gallery in Santa Fe.

I'd look for a frame shop that was under-used, perhaps it's new, or reluctant to buy ads, for whatever reason. Offer a deal. Frame shops are interested in contacting the art-buying public.

Kitty, did you pay for the materials? How did it work? This isn't Santa Fe, but we have strong interest in the arts here. It might just be a possibility. I know of a new frame shop. :D thanks for the idea! Lisa

prestonsega
09-15-2004, 05:21 AM
Lisa..I am not Kitty ..but in my situation ,,,the artist friend is just now opening shop...hasn't had her grand opening yet,,,,,so she offered to frame my work to her specifications , price them according to the area, subject, size, etc...and hang them for sell in her shop also....if they sell she gets the full retail framing price....if they do not sell ina time period alloted by her, she will then only charge me for materials....don;t know how I can lose,,,and it is not all of them...her selection of what will sell based on her years of experience in the area

Dark_Shades
09-15-2004, 08:23 AM
:envy: [I]
And for you arachnaphobes (as opposed to angoraphobes,,,people afraid of expensive sweaters)....:D

That made me laugh out loud...... and Im at work :mad: :D :wave: