PDA

View Full Version : Maggie Price Workshop Notes

llis
09-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Coming back from all workshops always leave me wondering how I will make use of what I've learned. Looking over my notes for the Maggie Price workshop... I find I totally missed a couple of major points. I know because my notes say... *very important about shadows...and then the rest of the page is blank. What was I thinking.... that I would remember? duh???? Maybe I might have when I was younger...but not now and especially when one is under medication for a pastel painting addiction. Sigh...can you help me fill in the blanks? Do you have other notes you could add?

Notes:

When working from photos remember.....

1. If you have a sunny sky, the blue will almost wash out in your photo.
2. The darks will appear too dark in your photo.
3. The lights will appear too light in your photo.
4. If you want a "being there" feeling, emphazise the sun.
5. Important about shadows... dark colored thing = ?
6. Important about shadows... light colored thing = ?

Paula Ford
09-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Wish I could help you llis, but my notes are about like yours.

Was so amazed at what Maggie was doing that some of my sentences never had ends to them LOL

Paula

Khadres
09-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Looks like you guys need to drag Maggie in and see if SHE remembers what she said! (Bet she does! :D)

Deborah Secor
09-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Maggie and I are friends and I talked to her yesterday. She has a bunch of family coming to town, she's in the throes of articles and getting ready for her workshop in Greece--but I'll tap her on the shoulder and see if she can scare up a few minutes to answer you!

Deborah

Khadres
09-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks, Deborah! Gosh, it must be exciting leading a successful artist's life! :wave:

Maggie P
09-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Have just been tapped on shoulder by Deborah. I swear I've been trying to get a chance to go to WC! ever since I got back from Santa Fe. Just been so swamped I couldn't do it.

I think the missing part was:

"A dark colored object in full sunlight will be lighter in value than a light-colored object in full shade."

This principle is what led me to develop my sunlight/shadow exercise. Understanding whether an object is in sun or shadow will clarify the value you should assign it, especially when you're working from photographs. It will also help you get around head-knowledge to observation; i.e., "I know a tree trunk is dark so I will paint it dark," instead of seeing the trunk in full sunlight as a light value.

Clear? If not tell me and I'll try again. It's easier in person when I can wave my hands around and paint!