PDA

View Full Version : Shed in the Woods

John H
09-06-2004, 12:54 AM
9x12 acrylic on masonite. C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2004/1622-OrangeShedInWoodsSm.jpg

romell
09-06-2004, 03:53 AM
Nice work, John. Shadows and lights are very well depicted.
The open door is very interesting element of this composition.
Did you paint this in plein aire?

Love to see more of your paintings.

Bam - Steve O Rama
09-06-2004, 10:27 AM
Nice,...I like the light shades in this work.

Take Care,...Steven ;)

MDurante
09-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Oo's and Ah's here, this is very nice. I love all the texture that is going on and the harmonious colors you've used. It almost looks uniformly tinted with cyan or something. Very nice.

The only minor thing that strikes me is how the leaves on the right edge of the panel and the leaves behind the barn are rendered in the same style/color, which gives the impression of one giant mass of leaves engulfing the barn.

But that's minor. Normally I'd be afraid to enter a barn buried in the woods but not yours!

- Matthew Durante

themanda
09-06-2004, 11:45 AM
love how you've captured that weird misty lighting you get very very early in the morning. the cast shadows on the roof are very interesting.

SilverLady
09-06-2004, 02:35 PM
I love the shed.
You have done a beautiful job on this one.

Silverlady

John H
09-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks for looking, everyone.
No, Romell, it wasn't done plein air. I do a lot of "plein air looking" but not much painting on location - just made it up. :)
Matthew, if I remember right I glazed a thalo blue and thalo green mix over the background to unify it; which probably gives it that cyan look. Yes, I didn't seperate the folaige behind the shed from the foreground (probably should have); I think I was just trying to not draw the eye up there.
Thanks for your comments!

sassybird
09-06-2004, 05:35 PM
The textures are very good, but what I like the most are the shadows cast by the trees. This reminds me of a sultry summer day. Beautifully done:)

John H
09-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks, Charissa :)

edit: "sultry summer day" I'm looking forward to doing some fall and winter scenes!

chandlerjr
09-06-2004, 06:23 PM
John,
Really like your shadow work! The composition is very tight. Terrific!
Larry C.

Marty C
09-06-2004, 07:09 PM
Hi John,
Very nice work, the colour unity is very strong, makes for a good harmonious work. The warmer colours on the shed help to break the cool greens and give an effective focal point.
One suggestion I would make is in introducing more value variation i.e. darker darks and lighter lights. I have taken the liberty of doing a grayscale on your work.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2004/16809-1622-OrangeShedInWoodsSmgr.jpg
From this I think you can see that while your light values are good, most of your darks are not particularly dark. The foreground area is where we should be seeing the darkest values and the most detail, the values gradually lifting with distance into the work. Here your foreground darks are the same as the mid and background. It is the strong contrast in values that give life and drama to a work. Little value contrast can make a piece appear flat, lacking depth. The composition, colour and rendering in your work is very good, it only needs a little more value work to really make it sing.

ExpressiveAngie
09-06-2004, 08:21 PM
Wow John, just beautiful.

John H
09-07-2004, 02:47 AM
Larry, Marty, & Angie
Thanks for your replies.
I see what you mean about value contrast, Marty. Lately I've been trying to tame some of the hard edged "harshness" of acrylics. In this attempt I've probably gotten overly conservative with the value range. I'll keep working on it. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

jbitzel
09-07-2004, 08:06 AM
I like the lighting, but I agree with marty. However I would only add darks to the borders and lights to the center. My 2 cents :wink2:

SherylG
09-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Beautiful! I like the overall cyan shade - matches my sofa perfectly! LOL! Beautiful painting!!

Sketchee
09-07-2004, 07:37 PM
I really love the unity of colors! Very cool!

shirleyq
09-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Marty is right on. Follow his advice and you will have a spectacular painting. :) The darks have nothing to do with edges really, just blend them in and they soften right up.