PDA

View Full Version : A Big Wash

mrs willow
09-05-2004, 05:37 PM
This painting actually now belongs to the owner of the Laundromat!
I remembered it and the fun I had painting it when I read the thread re "Do you do research?"
I had great fun doing the research. I met new people, frequented the laundromat, tried different media and finally decided on acrylic gouche with
some colored pencil.
I did intend to do more paintings along these lines but other things got in the way. I am now thinking about returning to my original plans.
Materials: Acrylic gouache (Jo Sonja) with colored pencil (Derwents) on Canson hot pressed.
Sandy

Artguy29
09-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Interesting subject. Nice work! Not too familiar with gouache. What exactly is it and how is it used?

Dave

ExpressiveAngie
09-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Good painting - you have truely made the *everyday* seem interesting.

HRH Goldie
09-05-2004, 07:36 PM
What a hard subject to tackle - I wouldn't know where to start with this one.
Well done.

Christine

Lady Carol
09-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Excellent angle. It reminds me of a photograph I took of my husband while he was doing the dishes. I was standing on the bench next to him.

Carrie
09-06-2004, 01:58 AM
wonderful original composition.

Carrie

romell
09-06-2004, 04:03 AM
Nice work and interesting subject. :clap:
Hey, that's my weekend chore :D

mrs willow
09-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Thank you Dave, Angie, Christine, Carol, Carrie, Romell, for your positive and encouraging comments.
Dave: Gouache is usually a waterbased paint, like watercolor,but not as transparent, it is more opaque. It can be used thin (as in watercolor) or heavier in a technique where one works from the darkest colors to the lightest (opposite to watercolor) Acrylic gouache (Jo Sonja paints) are generally used in folk art. These of course have an acrylic base and don't "move" as successive layers are applied.
Angie: I think we often overlook the "everyday" in a search for "something worthwhile to paint" The everyday is often vry appealing.
Romell: This subject is my weekend chore too! Isn't it everyone's?
Cheers,
Sandy

sassybird
09-06-2004, 05:25 PM
You seem to have captured the humidity and how it makes things look. Shoot I can even smell the place........lol Very well done:D

Marty C
09-06-2004, 07:28 PM
Hi Sandy,
Congratulations on taking the ordinary and mundane and making an interesting and stimulating work of art. Very nicely rendered, you display a keen sensitivity to the subject with unsual perspective and accurate portrayal of atmosphere. I think you are an artist of considerable talent, having seen your other works. Great job.

mrs willow
09-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Hi Chariss & Marty! Thank you for your comments!
I suppose I did have a feel for the atmosphere at the laundromat! It is a very busy and steamy place! Literally humming with atmosphere and interesring people too!
Lol
Sandy