PDA

View Full Version : Buying seed beads

dogmaw
09-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Hey all!

I am in need of Miyuki seed beads. The best price I have found is $3.65 for a 6" tube (supposedly 28-30 grams). Where do you get yours, and why?

Jo

debkauz
09-05-2004, 06:11 PM
I usually buy mine at the local store in Chicago. The price isn't too bad and I don't use many anywaqy. I did buy a 1/4 kilo from www.caravanbeads.com once and if I remember right, I thought the price was OK. I'm sure that people who use a lot more seedbeads than I do will have better sources.

Debbie

JAM Creations
09-05-2004, 08:49 PM
www.whimbeads.com

Her beads are great, customer service is excellent & beads come in those cute tic-tac boxes!

JavaGirlBT
09-05-2004, 09:44 PM
I second the recommendation of Whimbeads. Great prices and service.

lauren1024kb
09-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Do just the plain Japanese seed beads come in the flip tops as well (not Delicas)? Her prices aren't much more that I was about to pay for by the hank Czech. How do the Japanese compare with the Czech hanks?

TheBlueBetween
09-06-2004, 12:06 AM
I get mine at the LBS because I need to see the colors and match them up for a specific project. Of course I also buy other colors that I can't resist... my store has a really great selection. I'm sure I pay more than I could if I ordered online, but it's one of those things... I need to see and touch them. I may try to get a bunch at a show one of these days... because I am addicted.

Cyndi L
09-06-2004, 08:09 AM
I've been getting mine from Fire Mt Gems because they carry every color I can think of, but I am not at all certain that their prices are the best.

Nolly
09-06-2004, 08:50 AM
I just got a nice selection from eebeads.com ... didn't price compare, but I'm pretty cheap. I'm glad to have the link to Out on a Whim ... I've bought from them before but lost track of them.

My favorite place to buy is at a bead show where I can hold the little suckers in my hands, though sometimes that's just not possible.

Nolly

dogmaw
09-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys! I am supplying beads for a class project, and need to have lots of colors. What is left over I get to keep. :evil:

Jo

Juls
09-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Jo,

You might also want to check out www.ubeaditsacramento.com

They have a really great color selection cross referenced between matching colors in each size. Prices are great, quality is good, and they ship quickly and reasonably!

Lauren, if you are asking for a quality comparison between japanese and czech, the Japanese are more uniform in size and shape. If you are finding similar prices for the same finish/color between japanese and czech, I'd go with the japanese.

That being said, I have plenty of czech too! All beads have a place. :D

~Juls

lauren1024kb
09-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Whimbeads has 3600 11/0 Japanese for ~ $2.25
Monsterslayer has a hank (doesn't say hank size, so assuming 4000) 11/0 Czech for $1.75

Shipping is similar.

I've heard that Czech has improved over the last few years and it now very consistent, Japanese is better, and that there isn't much difference. I am throughly confused. I think I might go with Japanese at this point since the site has better pics.

jmwash
09-06-2004, 11:19 PM
i buy a lot of seed beads and stormcloud trading, http://www.beadstorm.com/
has a huge inventory of both japanese and czech seed beads. their website gives a color chart for miyukis, and i think their prices are reasonable.
i hope that helps!
jini

lauren1024kb
09-07-2004, 12:38 AM
A friend finally explained to me that the Czech require more sorting, so if you are willing to spend more time sorting Czech are fine. I'm not the patient type so it will be Japanese for me. I once bought a multi color pack and tried to sort it, so I can only imagine how miserably I would fail at sorting by hole size, width, etc. Right now I just flick the ones that are too wonky off my needle and let the vacuum clean them up, but don't get the consistency I would like (I'm sure you can see why).

Retta Gates
09-07-2004, 01:24 AM
I used cruddy beads, then I skipped up to Delica's they are fabulous but expensive. I need to try some Myuki's or something different. I would love a more round but perfect bbead.

Mary Riggs
09-07-2004, 06:10 PM
I have found "Dyna-Mites" from Fire Mountain Gems to be quite uniform in shape and are about half or more the cost of Delicas. They have 15/0, 11/0, 8/0, and 6/0 in nifty little plastic boxes in weights of 25 gr. to 40 gr., depending on the size of beads. The box says they are made in Japan. An example of pricing: Gold, trans., SL, 40 gr. = $2.78.

They may not be suitable for very smooth, flat weaves like peyote. I haven't tried them in that way yet, but for the type of jewelry and stitches I make, I really like them.

chuckie
09-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Jane's Fiber and Beads in Greenville, TN. You can catch her at the Bead Mercantile Shows or buy from her web site. She has a fantastic selection of colors! I think 95% of my zillion tubes of seed beads have all been bought from Jane.

She's got a wonderful selection of seed bead books and a bunch of unique yarns and fibers, too!

www.janesfiberandbeads

beclectic
10-01-2004, 06:09 PM
www.whimbeads.com

Her beads are great, customer service is excellent & beads come in those cute tic-tac boxes!

I needed a bunch of Japanese seed beads and I found this thread and ordered from Out on a Whim (whimbeads.com) based on this recommendation. I couldn't be more pleased. Prices were good and shipping was reasonable and fast. What a great resource this place is and they have exhaustive color lists for the 11 and 15 seed beads. I tend to see browns as somewhat pink so I need to be able to know the color name too so I have a chance of picking the right thing.

I should say that online I tend to see browns as somewhat pink. In real life I don't usually have any problem seeing browns as brown. Could be my monitor or just the way colors look on most monitors.

Thanks for suggesting whimbeads.com. BTW, they didn't come in tic-tac boxes but in 6" tubes for the 11s and 3" tubes for the 15s. Each tube is marked with the color number. I didn't get the Delicas but just the regular Japanese beads because they are more regular than Czech beads. Sometimes I want that irregularity but not this time.

Try it you'll like it!

Mary Riggs
10-01-2004, 07:14 PM
I just received an order of Delica (Miyuki) seed beads from www.harlequinbeads.com in Eugene, Oregon. Their web site is easy to navigate, their pictures are very true in color, and their prices are more than half of retail. They are packaged in tubes, which are easier to store. Along with that, they have ongoing sales with discounts for volume orders. For example, my order totalled $505.55, but after the discounts and adding in S/H of $5.00 and insurance of $5.00, the final total was only $332.29 !!! They are now offically my most favorite site to order Delicas. I took advantage of their 25% off sale of Delicas, then received another 15% off for a large volume order.

No, I am not paid to advertise for them in any way. I'm just hooked on their service and very low prices :D

Peg
10-02-2004, 12:08 PM
I get mine at the LBS because I need to see the colors and match them up for a specific project. Of course I also buy other colors that I can't resist... my store has a really great selection. I'm sure I pay more than I could if I ordered online, but it's one of those things... I need to see and touch them. I may try to get a bunch at a show one of these days... because I am addicted.

Okay Pam what is LBS? L stands for what and I assume BS is bead store? Where is it? Peg M

TheBlueBetween
10-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Okay Pam what is LBS? L stands for what and I assume BS is bead store? Where is it? Peg M

Hi Peg - LBS is Local Bead Store. The specific one I'm talking about is Beads & Beyond in Bellevue - I love that place. Rows and rows of tubes of seed beads :) Reminds me I need to go and get some 15s so I can start making bezels for all the cabs I bought last week.

sassybird
10-02-2004, 05:19 PM
What I would like to know is how beads are sized. Are they sized sort of like wire where the higher the guage the bigger the number? I want to buy some seed beads also, but I don't want to go blind trying to string them.

beclectic
10-02-2004, 05:47 PM
What I would like to know is how beads are sized. Are they sized sort of like wire where the higher the guage the bigger the number? I want to buy some seed beads also, but I don't want to go blind trying to string them.\

Yes it is like wire in that the larger the number the smaller the bead. An 11/0 bead is 11 beads to the inch and that is laying down lined up not strung. So a 6/0 is a lot bigger in that there are 6 to an inch. Common sizes are 6/0, 8/0, 11/0 and 15/0 there are sizes in between but these are the sizes I usually use. Ther is also a size 4/0 that is pretty big it is 1/4" across not through the hole. When you see 8mm and 10mm beads with a bead between them it is usually a 6/0 but if it is tiny it may be an 11/0.

In the picture I've included below the small beads are 11/0 and the larger green ones are 6/0. They are called rocalles because they are lined with silver.

Cyndi L
10-02-2004, 05:47 PM
There was a wonderful answer to this question, with all the info you could possibly want, on the Bead & Button forum. I printed out the third posting for future reference. I don't think you have to register in order to view it, but you will have to if you want to post. Sorry, the URL will probably wrap around, and I don't have time right now to figure out how to "tiny-fy" it. Someday I'll figure out that trick:

http://www.beadandbutton.com/bnb/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3807

sassybird
10-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Thank you for answering my question. Now back to our regular thread program:D Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Peg
10-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Hi Peg - LBS is Local Bead Store. The specific one I'm talking about is Beads & Beyond in Bellevue - I love that place. Rows and rows of tubes of seed beads :) Reminds me I need to go and get some 15s so I can start making bezels for all the cabs I bought last week.

Thanks Pam. I have been there and to Woodinville BS also. Have you made any cabs with the little tool I gave you for the next Challenge? I made another one since I showed you one and it is easy. Peg M