PDA

View Full Version : "Solitude" (wip)

Paula Ford
09-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Oh gosh, another one of my fall paintings. I hope you don't get sick of seeing these.

Just love doing this kind of water!! It is similar to "Memories of Autumns Past" but I wanted to do this all by myself without my teacher's help so it can be shown or placed in competition. It's almost finished. Can you see anything that is obviously awful in this??

Thanks,
Paula

P.S. Forgot...12"x18" Wallis paper, softies

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2004/1978-solitude1forwc.jpg

Marge Cline
09-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Your colors are gorgeous! Reminds me of Wisconsin and the red maples aflame. Water in soft pastels is really fun. I never know where it's gonna end up until I start it and "go with the flow". Would like to out in my canoe on that lake.

Deborah Secor
09-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Paula, this is another smashing one! I love the contrasts and colors here. Yummy! My only suggestion is to examine that big balloon shape to the viewer's left of the yellow tree. I wonder if it doesn't need to be lacier, a bit more broken in shape, to be effective. The light and shadows on the water, and the reflections, are very exciting! Gorgeous!

Deborah

Paula Ford
09-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks Marg & Deborah...after a long nap this afternoon and a nice hot cup of my husband's coffee (he makes the best coffee!), I went back to my studio and finished "Solitude."

Hopefully Deborah I solved the problem on the left. I took the picture before I read your post, so we'll see if it looks better.

Thank you.
Paula

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2004/1978-solitudefinalforwc.jpg

pjo
09-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Paula, yummy colors! I think you have managed to get a "lacier" texture to the trees, on both sides of the yellow one.

ElfeUra
09-06-2004, 03:00 AM
Yes,
the colors are superb and the water is just incredible realistic good :)

Rita

khourianya
09-06-2004, 03:14 AM
The colours on this one are sinply ravishing. I don't think i could ever get sick of your fall scenes...

Bravo!

Deborah Secor
09-06-2004, 11:12 AM
Yep, Paula, this looks great! Love the laciness and punch of that yellow tree--a nice statement of strength and delicacy combined. :D

Deborah

Paula Ford
09-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks so much you guys!!

I love these fall scenes because it helps me to cope with where I live.

Paula

Khadres
09-06-2004, 11:54 AM
Awww, Paula, just think! Living in Lubbock (or is it Amarillo? Same diff?) would be a GREAT way to use up all those EARTH colors they throw into the pastel sets! :evil: How about some tornado scenes or lovely views of cotton fields at sunrise (only halfway joking about the last idea!)?

Nice work! Is this one going into the fair too?

Paula Ford
09-06-2004, 12:02 PM
Awww, Paula, just think! Living in Lubbock (or is it Amarillo? Same diff?) would be a GREAT way to use up all those EARTH colors they throw into the pastel sets! :evil: How about some tornado scenes or lovely views of cotton fields at sunrise (only halfway joking about the last idea!)?

Nice work! Is this one going into the fair too?

ABILENE, which is even worse than Lubbock or Amarillo!! (We don't have cotton fields here :evil: just dirt fields :evil: ) Even the tornados go around us here in Abilene cause they don't like it here either :evil:

Thank you Sooz!!, but I don't think it's good enough to be entered.

Paula

Artistammy
09-06-2004, 05:44 PM
Is Abilene ranching territory or do they grow any crops? lol
I have been considering painting a cotton field on day when the sky has alot of really pretty clouds. I think this painting looks good enough to enter or does it look worse close-up & bigger? :evil:

Tom Christopher
09-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Paula, the colors are beautiful -- to me the piece almost looks too clean--I would like to see some dead tree branches poking thru, or some tree trunks showing thru the vegetation --IMO it would add to the authenticity. Just a thought --Thank you Tom

Einharjar
09-07-2004, 03:24 PM
u do water beautifully, and the colors are enchanting. tom is right though - it almost looks like a scene out of a fairy tale
Sam

Paula Ford
09-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Hi Tammy, Ranching, and Dyess Air Force Base is here in Abilene. That's about all though :evil:

Thanks Tom & Einharjar!! Actually, that is exactly the way I wanted it to look...kind of impressionistic, clean, fantasy-like. Just a beautiful scene you could just sit in without being stuck by branches or eaten by bugs. The type of scene you could be safe and secure in to dream and contemplate.

Thank you.
Paula

prestonsega
09-08-2004, 12:37 AM
Because I am not a landscapist, I hesitate to comment, but then again I can have an unbiased opinion,,but the tree line is straight and boring,as is the shore line, thus your sky shape is basically a rectangle. I have to agree with Tom. Some nice negative shapes in the orange....perhaps some trees shorter....For more unity I would suggest echoing the yellow of the forground tree and blue of the water in the background trees.

I hope my comments have not offended you, cause they are only my opinion and I reserve the right to change my oppinion at any moment :D

ps..I would like to see doing some quick sketches and posting in the weekly sketch thread...what do ha say?? huh??

Paula Ford
09-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Because I am not a landscapist, I hesitate to comment, but then again I can have an unbiased opinion,,but the tree line is straight and boring,as is the shore line, thus your sky shape is basically a rectangle. I have to agree with Tom. Some nice negative shapes in the orange....perhaps some trees shorter....For more unity I would suggest echoing the yellow of the forground tree and blue of the water in the background trees.

I hope my comments have not offended you, cause they are only my opinion and I reserve the right to change my oppinion at any moment :D

ps..I would like to see doing some quick sketches and posting in the weekly sketch thread...what do ha say?? huh??

OUCH!! ( :wink2: )

Again, let me say that the purpose of this painting is a "perfect setting." The name of the painting is "Solitude" and is the reason for the color in the yellow tree, being it is the only one.

No, you have not offended me Preston. That is the reason I post here. I don't ever expect that everyone is going to like my work or think it's the best. Thank you for your honest opinion. It is truly appreciated!!

As far as the weekly sketch thread, normally when I sit down to paint, I go from start to finish in all one sitting. Hardly ever sketch or do little paintings...but if I ever do, I'll post it in that thread.

Paula