PDA

View Full Version : PMCers?

Nolly
09-05-2004, 03:15 PM
I hauled out the PMC stuff today - I've been collecting it for months and I thought, today's the day!

I've spent my whole allotment of time trying to find out how to use cork clay ... I have to dry it out before using it to form shapes (like cones), likewise with paper clay? Paper clay does NOT burn out of hollows, it appears - can anyone verify this?

In my virtual travels, I found a pretty good price on PMC, if anyone's looking to buy ... http://www.silver-clay.com/nmclay-bin/shop1.pl/page=PMC.htm/SID=1052178398.27117

Thanks in advance,

Nolly

dogmaw
09-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Nolly,

Thanks for the link! They said this about paper clay:

Creative Paperclay: A paper based modeling material. Sculpt a bead, paint it with 3 coats of PMC Slip and fire. The Paperclay burns out leaving a hollow bead.

Jo

tamjai
09-05-2004, 06:42 PM
I don't know if pmc and art clay silver are different or not but, i find with acs that three coats would not be enough - my large ginko leaf pendant that i posted a while ago is twelve and still thinner than feels right
- also do you mean paper clay used in ceramic sculpture, or amacos paper - mache pulp?? The ceramic paperclay will not burn out - only the fibre component does - i've not tried the pulp although there is a project in B&B(i think by candice wakumoto??) where a 'slide' is contructed over an armature made by mixing the pulp with alumina hydrate...again - i have not tried this - perhaps someone who is certified or being certified will pipe up! :D
tam

WillowMajestic
09-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi Nolly,

Don't dry your cork clay out! Form whatever shapes you want to use and THEN let the SHAPES dry out before you cover them with paste or clay. You just don't want to fire the cork (with the silver on top) before the cork is completely dry or else the moisture may expand and blow a hole in your object! Yikes!

Hope this helps for when you can find the time to try again :)

Kari

I've spent my whole allotment of time trying to find out how to use cork clay ... I have to dry it out before using it to form shapes (like cones), likewise with paper clay?

Thanks in advance,

Nolly

tamjai
09-05-2004, 06:47 PM
and yes what kari says is important - when firing - doesn't matter what - make sure it's DRY!!!! one way to do this(and it's hard) forego any speed drying if you can help it and let things dry naturally
tam

LLane
09-05-2004, 11:10 PM
PaperClay (brand) does not burn out completely and will leave a gunky thing inside your bead. Definately agree that cork clay must be dried after it is shaped .... very dry.

Try this (http://www.wholelottawhimsy.com/wo/p/context/shopping/Product?c=138&p=1112) supplier for good prices and lots of great tools. I met Tonya at the Gathering in Portland.... nice gal with lots of great ideas. tutorials are coming on her website

Good luck... can't wait to see what you have made!!!

Lois
PS.... you can always try food products...... cereal snack food etc.... !!!

Nolly
09-06-2004, 06:38 AM
Thanks, everyone ... I think I have enough confidence now to go ahead and see what happens. I'll definitely let my cork clay shapes dry before attempting to mold cones over them.

Lois, I was in Tucson this summer ... I wanted to get to WLW in the worst way, but somehow the days sped by without the opportunity. My mom at 80 is not the intrepid shopper that she used to be! Next time ...

Tam, ACS and PMC are the same thing ... or maybe I should say that ACS is precious metal clay.

Thanks again,

Nolly