PDA

View Full Version : The Strand and Fairhead WIP

mooz49
09-05-2004, 11:29 AM
I was asked to do this painting from a postcard by someone who used to live here but now lives in London. I would rather paint what I want to paint than something that someone else wants .......... I don't like the pressure!!
I am not happy with the sand.
Any comments welcome.

Anne

hoski
09-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean, it is not as fun to do something on demand, but Im sure you will have fun with this one and it looks good...
Do you have to paint it excactly like the postcard or can you change the composition? The straight horizontal line of the beach in the foreground is a little bit to straight...but it might be allright though, hope you have fun :wave:
Hoski

Artguy29
09-05-2004, 01:47 PM
The straight horizontal line of the beach in the foreground is a little bit to straight

In addition to what Hoski said, you need to have some of the beach under the water. You have a very sharp edge where the end of the beach meets the water. Take some of the sand color and place it along the water. Let that color dry and then put some of the water right over it. You don't want to cover all of the sand or not cover it enough. You just need the indication of some of the sand under the water. This will help get rid of that sharp "line" and place in some reflections.

Dave

mooz49
09-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks Hoski - I have taken a photograph of the postcard .......... it has turned out a bit blurred though. The water at the foreground is where the river runs into the sea.

MDurante
09-05-2004, 06:54 PM
You did a great job of detailing the water in the mid-region of the painting, the crashing wave etc. It looks awesome and is my favorite part of your painting.

The contrast in the foreground water of the photograph is nice. But where does all that darkness come from? I don't know if you'd want to paint it or not but I like it...

- Matthew Durante

ExpressiveAngie
09-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Have the folks who commissioned the painting seen it yet...I am betting they like it :)

Lady Carol
09-05-2004, 10:25 PM
I think they will like it also. Painting for someone else is not easy. You might want to get feedback from them. I do this with commissions as it makes them feel more involved with the painting. How can they say they hate it when they have had so much in put?

mooz49
09-06-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks Hoski, Dave, Matthew, PastelMama and Lady Carol for your encouraging comments.
I gave it a light coat of varnish which brightened the colours amd my hubby, who is my best critic, said he liked it. My sister-in-law had asked me to do it for her brother and they called here last night and saw it and they liked it and they took it with them.
So it is gone and I will try another soon when there is no pressure on me :D

mkillough
09-06-2004, 11:44 AM
I love this. You have managed to take a flat rendering, commercial photo and give it life. :clap: :clap: , and a couple of Bravos (there are no Bravo smilies).

mooz49
09-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Mary - thank you so much for your kind words also. :wave: