PDA

View Full Version : Jack Russell illustration

Art_man
09-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Hi there,

I just uploaded my newest piece. It's a drawing of a Jack Russell.
Please, comments, feedback, and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Ricky 8-)

TedDawson
09-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Awesome, Ricky. Wonderful. Lots of life to it and great contrast. :clap:

LarrySeiler
09-05-2004, 09:25 PM
I've got twenty some years experience with wildlife art Ricky...so, wanna hear what my take is on this piece???

I think its top notch, and rates right up there!!! Very well done!!! Excellent technique, attention to anatomy, character/personality, and detail. As Ted said...lots of life and contrast. The contrast sparks a sense of drama, which gives it life. Good job! :clap:

Larry

designbyjen
09-05-2004, 09:45 PM
Wow! kicks (_|_) !!!
great job ricky!
~~~jen

Art_man
09-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Hi,

Ted, Jen, and especially Larry - Thanks so much. It really means a lot to me. I've worked about 10 hours on this. Though, I feel guilty because I used a grid to get my initial line sketch then I transferred my line sketch to Bristol Board using a light box. Then I used an embossing tool to "scratch" into the paper to get the effect of fur/hair. Then I went over the "scratched" lines with a 2b pencil to get a layered look. I then used Derwent charcoal pencils and a Black Prismacolor pencil for the darkest darks. I know that it would have been a better learning experience if I did this freehand but I just wanted capture the mischievous, fun-loving, and loyal characteristics of the Jack Russell Terrier perfectly. I don't own one (yet) but one can dream. Thanks so much everyone for the kind words.

Ricky :)

prairie painter
09-07-2004, 01:45 PM
All those things you mentioned, they ultimately help to teach your hand and eye what to do, imho. And... it's hard to argue with just how daing Cute he is!!!

sillk
09-08-2004, 10:10 PM
i've seen a lot of people use the same techniques that you've described (griding, lightbox - i've never heard of embossing, but golly it works. :) ) and come up with a piece that falls way short of what you've done! that's a great drawing. ther'es not a thing wrong with it and i can be really critical. composition, texture, light....maybe it's your love of the subject that adds such spark!

Kathryn Wilson
09-09-2004, 09:32 PM
ARTMAN! HOW DID YOU GET MY DOG TO STAND STILL FOR THIS PORTRAIT?

:D This is so close to what my JRT looks like, it's not funny. I love it! Right down to the brown on the one side, the hair sticking up all over, and those handsome black points (eyes, mouth, nose).

Wonderful job! :clap: :clap: :clap: