PDA

View Full Version : Another M.Price workshop piece

llis
09-04-2004, 08:15 PM
As Kat has mentioned, we used a different background and then layed in our colors... my background was purple. I think I over worked it. :( But.... it did look a bit better before I turned it into a Georgia scene instead of a New Mexico scene...lol There is something in me that wants to see green. :) I posted this in the landscape forum without the knowledge that it was from a workshop using a special technique and asked for help with making it pop with a focal area or something to keep it from being so boring. This was lots of fun and taking time today was lots of fun too. :) I might have to work with one eye more often... at least it slowed me down and made me look carefully.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2004/11-field.jpg

This is 9x12 pastel on Wallis sanded paper.

Kathryn Day
09-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Wow, this turned out beautiful. Maybe New Mexico in a really wet year!! lol
Love the colors.

CarlyHardy
09-04-2004, 09:54 PM
Llis, I love your sense of color harmony....and yep, it definitely has our greens/blues in those trees :). But as both of us have learned, it takes time to acclimate to another areas color and atmosphere. Forget where this one is suppose to be and enjoy it as a beautiful landscape which could be anywhere :)

My only suggestion would be to pull some of the sky color into the cooler midtones of the shadows...would give the eye some vertical motion.

Gee...I wish I could have gone with you!!! boo...hoo... :crying:
carly

Khadres
09-05-2004, 01:32 AM
Another nice one! The colors are just great...obviously not quite New Mexico colors, but beautiful, nonetheless! Wonder what would happen if you redid this one just for fun using the yellowy greens and such that fit NM more? Can see it with the bushes replaced with chamisa (sp?) and more turquoise-y shadows.

This is great as it is, too!

bnoonan
09-05-2004, 11:46 AM
Oh I have to say I saw the painting first before I saw who posted it and immediately thought of Deborah. wow - great colors and I like the rich greens and blues and purples.

Well done!!! Barb

Paula Ford
09-05-2004, 12:40 PM
llis...THIS IS GORGEOUS!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Paula

Deborah Secor
09-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Wow--this is so beautiful! Not NM, but who cares? I bet I could make Georgia look like NM, too! By the way, I paint with one eye closed most of the time, Phyllis, so you may be onto something. (Makes for some odd wrikles.) ;) Maybe that's why Barb thought it looked similar to my work...

Deborah

Dark_Shades
09-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Ha! I too thought it was Dee's ..... except for the colour palette..... this is lovely no matter who did it...... makes me wish and feel even more disappointed that Maggie's workshop was cancelled when she was here :(

Maggie P
09-07-2004, 12:57 PM
This is great! I love the colors.

It was fun having you in the class and I'm just sorry we didn't get to visit more. It was an intense, but good energy, weekend.
Let's do it again at IAPS! I'll teach a couple sessions there, but won't be working a booth and will have more time for fun (and shopping! I never got to shop!)....

Maggie P
09-07-2004, 12:59 PM
makes me wish and feel even more disappointed that Maggie's workshop was cancelled when she was here :(

I will try again next year or the following year! My husband and I love visiting England and teaching makes it even more fun. Or you could come to my Provence workshop in September 2005....
:)