PDA

View Full Version : First practice painting

Bam - Steve O Rama
09-04-2004, 06:17 PM
Well,...I purchased some acrylics and a few brushes and so forth. Also got some poster board to practice on because of wanting to keep my practice sheets to learn from in the future. The poster board seems to dry very fast and it may not be the best practice surface but anyway, here it is. I look forward to more practice. Let me know what you guys think.

http://airbrushgraphix.homestead.com/steve_s_first_painting_op_666x800.jpg

Thanks,...Steven :wave: :D

Artguy29
09-04-2004, 08:40 PM
This is impressive for a first painting, Steve! I think your trees need some more "form" and you have to work on making depth in your paintings, adding a background, middleground, foreground, etc. As with all things, this will come with practice. I think instead of using poster board, you should get some student grade canvas panels. They are very cheap (a 12"x16" for $1.47 through Mister Art!) and are excellent for practice paintings. I would recommend Fredrix student canvas panels; I still use them for some of my paintings. What brand of paints did you get?

Dave

sassybird
09-04-2004, 10:20 PM
For a first painting you did quite well. I agree with what Dave said. In time you will fine tune your paintings. Getting feedback from other artists is more precious than you can imagine.

Bam - Steve O Rama
09-04-2004, 11:01 PM
Dave,...I purchased some Anitas all purpose acrylic craft paint. I also did get a 3 pack of the Fredrik canvas panels 16"x20". I just thought my first few paintings should go on something cheap but I guess I need to get use to the canvas anyway. I will try to apply what you are saying to my next one. Thanks for helping out man! I'll keep posting as I complete them.

Charissa,...Thank you for the encouragement,..it is well needed here cause these acrylics dry fast. Ha!

Thanks again,...Steven ;) :wave:

blumoon
09-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Quite an accomplishment for a first. Have you looked at any of Rousseau's paintings? You might enjoy seeing those. :)

Bam - Steve O Rama
09-05-2004, 12:48 AM
I would love to see Rousseau's work. Can you direct me to this art please?

Thanks Blumoon,...Steven :wave: ;)

gnu
09-05-2004, 03:04 AM
you started and that's the main thing..
I like the design aspect of this..as you do more you will come to understand how to make things stand out from each other so more clearly to see what's going on..
try everything..canvas feels different to paper or board, brushes are different to knives..you won't know your forte till you do try things..
study tree forms etc, but keep the design aspect in your head too.. :clap: :clap:

ExpressiveAngie
09-05-2004, 08:20 AM
I like it -- if thats your first, oh boy!

Bam - Steve O Rama
09-05-2004, 11:12 AM
This is my first try with brushes and acrylics. Looking at the painting I can see now that the trees are bunched together to much and no much definition between objects. Tree on the left looks kinda weird also. Just will have to work on that one. I think next I will go outside and paint something in real life. I have a couple of silver maples in front yard,...Hmmmm

Thanks,...Steven :wave: ;) :D

hoski
09-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Very nice, Im not gonna show you my first one :evil: haha :)
well done :clap: