PDA

View Full Version : A face only a mother could love

bnoonan
09-04-2004, 04:15 PM
I have some friends with this marvelous French Bulldog and it's been fun getting to know her. She's an interesting one and yet not as easy to paint as I had hoped.

Feedback? Oh - please!!!

Barb

Wallis appx 12 x 16"

Barb

DGrau
09-04-2004, 06:07 PM
She looks like quite the lady :) Bulldogs are an intersting breed. Sorry, I really dont know the anatomy enough to be of much help.
Best wishes
David

bnoonan
09-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks David - I know what you mean about the anatomy. It's tough to paint a smushed up face and make it look realistic I've discovered. Also... working from a flash photo that flattened the shadows isn't all that helpful.

Appreciate your looking.

Barb

She looks like quite the lady :) Bulldogs are an intersting breed. Sorry, I really dont know the anatomy enough to be of much help.
Best wishes
David

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2004, 06:26 PM
I agree, Barb, this must be a hard face to get just right - all smushed up, but you do have the pink pigmented skin done really well. The eye is looking good too. The looseness of the coat hair doesn't look quite right - if that is what you were going for, ignore me - but from what I remember, bulldogs have quite short and fine hair which lays pretty close to the skin - this looks fluffy to me, like a dog with longer hair. Of course, I haven't seen the reference and you may have a dog with longer hair than usual - :eek:

Khadres
09-04-2004, 06:45 PM
She's cute, tho. That white coat is a challenge too, I'd think. Loads better than I could do!

Artistammy
09-04-2004, 07:03 PM
coming along. What I noticed is when I look at the left ear it says watermelon to me. Does the real dog ear look like that? The fur does look longer but I know you paint looser. Hope you can translate that into short looking hair.

bnoonan
09-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Had to laugh! Tammy when I walk this dog for my friend I've been asked... What kind of pig is it? Looks good enough to BBQ. The spotted ears are a delight but you are right - I've overdone them a bit.

Kat - agree about the fur - wow you really nailed that - it's shorter and sheds a lot. I should know from what's in my back seat of my car.

Sooz - thanks a lot but not sure if it's any great painting in any stretch of the imagination. Seems to me I haven't seen many of your paintings lately. too busy with G. I imagine and driving. Can't wait to see what you do when you break out those new purchases.

Barb

Dyin
09-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Aw, whatcha talkin about...this guy is CUTE! I like it..I say put some depth in the ears with a touch of blue though...you have essence of bulldog here and that's what's great about it :D

khourianya
09-06-2004, 03:17 AM
aww...what a cutie pie. I think he looks wonderful! :)

Deborah Secor
09-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Barb, I like this one, too. You've caught the perplexed look these dogs always seem to me to have.. as if someone just shoved in their nose and they can't figure it out yet... LOL

I think this breed has a furry slickness to them, so I suggest that you clean up the edges a bit more to give the head a more rounded, short-furred quality. I like the jowls and the whiskers you have there.

The eye on the right side, in the black area of his face, is a little lost yet. I'd shape it a bit more and add a touch of light to it. (It may be there and just not show in this scan.)

I realize these guys have puny legs to a proportionally larger body, but I'm somehow questioning the leg. It may just be the angle, in which case I'd blue it more so it's visually lost.

Hope this all helps--I like the painting a lot. Love your gesture and colors, as always. The ear may need a touch or two, but doesn't bother me as much as it does the others... Rather whimsical looking, which describes these dogs.

Deborah

meowmeow
09-06-2004, 04:13 PM
The facial expression is wonderful! I agree about the "wtermelon slice" ear though...wouldn't have thought to call it that but it sure is once it is pointed out.
I don't do many dogs so really can't help...

Sandy

PablosDream
09-06-2004, 10:44 PM
This is really a nice piece of art work. I've seen many animal portraits that looked just like the subject but were by no means what i would call art work or interesting to look at for that matter, this however is a beautiful piece of art work.

Grasshopper
09-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Lack of experience doesn't allow me to critique the bulldog, but I can comment on other things: I really like the overall 'coloring' of the painting, including the background - perfect.