PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Rest In Peace (Old Car)

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Quite a while ago, I started on this old car painting, asked for help - and then got so busy, it had to wait a bit. Found I had to re-draw the whole car - bummer!

Now, there are tons of things I need to do yet on this, but wanted to get it on the screen so I can see where the problem areas lie - and, of course, get some helpful advice.

I think the sunlit area is too strong - will go back in and make it more dappled. I need to work on the vegetation in the back (but not much more), just take out all those silly humps. The car needs a little more work, but I don't want to overwork it - need to add the tires, put a bit more detail in, clean up edges. Then I have to tackle the grassy area in the front, which there is no point in doing until the rest looks pretty much done.

What say you?

Edit: This is on Colorfix (burgundy) 18 x 24

Dyin
09-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Kat...this is much stronger than the first version...I like it. I think it's going pretty good and I'm visualising the changes you mention. Not much to add...perhaps lightly darken the trunck and branch where it approaches the edge of the paper, and the side windows have an outward leaning apperarance, I think the center window frame bar should lean towards the front window a tad to kick it back into perspective. Maybe soften the far headlight and dull the housing on the closer headlight. Oh and maybe blue and fade the furthest strip of grass. With the dappling you mentioned and softening of foliage hump I think you'll have it! Great car...should be proud...like the red and blue together too. :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Ya know something, as I was putting on some of the blue and darker umber color on the car, I realized I was using the pastel similar to an OP - I was glazing color over another - letting the color underneath show through.

Always learning something from every painting I do.

Thanks for the affirmation of those things that need work. I checked the windows and I see how they look distorted - it's that top color band - easy to fix.

Does anyone miss the chickens, and do the gravestones bother any one this time through? I miss the chickens, but hubby says less is more. :(

DGrau
09-04-2004, 05:16 PM
I like the foilage as is...enough info to tell it is there and what it is..pops the foreground out nicely
Like the intensity of the grass behind..shows strong lighting
any adjustments will just be to your taste..looks good to me as is
gravestones..wish I could type in very small print now,~> thought they were trees which had been cut down,<~ but that could simply be because of the viewing/actuall size differences. take a look and see.... and no..they dont bother me..think they add another dimension to the painting.
Chickens ~ not sure what they would do for the painting..car is so up close I wonder if they wouldn't just detract from it.but if you think it adds to it..Don't let anyone talk you out of it.
Everything else has been addressed that I can see.
This is a wonderfull painting..looking forward to the finish
Best wishes
David
Nice to see you in the softie section again :)

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks David! Nice to be here again - it's difficult dividing one's time between two mediums, but plan on doing more softies this fall.

Ah, I forgot to mention the gravestones do need work so they look like stones. I was concentrating so hard on the car, I forgot the little stonies.

It's hard to get a scene out of your mind once it's in your head - and when John and I happened across this graveyard with the car, the head stones and the chickens running all over - it just seemed a very unlikey scene and that's what made it different. I may reconsider chickens, but they are easy to add later.

Khadres
09-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Looking good! As to chickens? I kinda liked 'em too, specially if they were a big more proportional in size...I'd kinda follow my own prefs on this, if I were you. You can perfect it either way so do what ya like!

I still think the problem with the headstones is their shape...being smallish and square makes 'em hard to define in the viewer's mind. Maybe make 'em just a smidge bigger and add a pair or three to indicate "rows" sort of and make the tops rounded more like a tombstone shape? Could also have them FACING the viewer with shadows indicating chiseled names, etc.

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2004, 07:52 PM
Yeah, Sooz, those chickens may have to be something I gotta do - then I can always take 'em out if I don't like them. Hard to get them out of my system until I see if they might work.

Thanks for the push on the head stones - it's funny, I know what they are - so why don't the rest of you know what they are - :wink2: I see what you mean about the rows, that just might work.

Worked for a bit tonight and I should know better - poor light means bad choices - but THIS time I knew enough to stop before I really botch it up.

:D

Artistammy
09-04-2004, 07:55 PM
I didn't notice the tombstones until you mentioned them. I kind of liked the chickens as long they don't steal the spotlight. That grassy part miight be a just a tad bright. The car's looking good.

prestonsega
09-05-2004, 12:57 AM
My first reaction when I opened this thread was. " where the heck are the chickens". I think the importance of them is they represent continuation of life amidst all the symbols of death. (yes, I'm waxing philisophical, but that's my opinion )...This is going to be so cool!!!

Kathryn Wilson
09-05-2004, 10:18 AM
LOL, Preston - will try to tackle those chickens today. This painting is the only thing that is keeping me sane today - been worrying all night about mom in Florida - hope you don't get a taste of this hurricane. :eek:

Deborah Secor
09-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Kat, I think this is a really strong painting! I love your color contrasts, the light and shadow, and the underlying shapes. All your planned changes sound good to me and I look forward to seeing what you come up with...

I think the chickens (or maybe the chicken, singular?) must be secondary, in a supporting role. It stands without them right now, but since you really see them there I think you can make it work...

Painting is good for worrying--it drives it away--but don't mess with this one now. Start another one so that you can just throw colors and energy into it instead!

Deborah

bnoonan
09-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Oh I love this... how many critics can you throw into a single thread... It's almost like a chicken in every pot - oh I mean painting.

I'm with David - thought the stones were tree stumps and I liked them that way just fine.

Overall I like it - not sure if the chickens are necessary.

so there... just another opinion to add to the mix.

I say paint what you feel and share it with us. I'm always thrilled to see that vivid color combination Kat and I love the way the dark paper really makes the lights sing....

Barb

prestonsega
09-05-2004, 11:48 AM
LOL, Preston - will try to tackle those chickens today. This painting is the only thing that is keeping me sane today - been worrying all night about mom in Florida - hope you don't get a taste of this hurricane. :eek:

The winds are beginning to pick up this morning and it seems we're going to have some terrific thunderstorms with possible tornadoes, so I'm getting my internet time in now. I had planned a weekend getaway to Atlanta (had sitters scheduled and the whole lot ), but that changed since the mass exedus from florida has turned I 75 into a parking lot,....even the N/S state road that runs throuch here is a designated evacuation route and has been very busy for a few days. Alas, there is always next week, and even though I haven't done a lot of plein aire painting I am planning on joining Phyllis and the others at Callaway Gardens for the paint out next week,

I'm sure you're worried about your mom..things are looking nasty south of here. Dee's advice sounds good...I understand about art preserving sanity...... we are blessed in that way!

Oh..I got an idea...have a giant chicken (sorta like Big Bird ) sitting at the wheel!!! lol ( a little humor...very little humor. )

Kathryn Wilson
09-19-2004, 05:31 PM
This has been cross-posted in the Goal Post thread, but I wanted to finish this out in here too. I must apologize for the poor photo - the colors are off even after fiddling in PS. It is this bright, but the golds did not come out true.

Thanks for looking - at last it's done!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2004/14941-old_car_3-a.jpg

Dark_Shades
09-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Kat good for you to keep going with this..... I just love the glow you got.... and the colours too...... Ha!..... Ive just realised what those grave stones are all about...... for the chickens hee hee :wink2: :)

Nice work Kat.... well done

bnoonan
09-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Superb Kat. Love the rich use of colors you have in every nook and cranny of the car and even the chickens iwth that touch of lavender.

Nicely done and congratulations on completing something you set a goal to do.

Barb!!! :clap:

Deborah Secor
09-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Whoooeeeee! Kat! I love this color work!!! (Even if the color is off...) Great job--so glad you shared this... :D

Deborah

JustjoGA
09-19-2004, 07:01 PM
This is just super, Kyle... Love the red car
and the abandoned atmosphere...

Jo in Georgia

prestonsega
09-19-2004, 08:53 PM
:clap: YES!!! This is great.....glowing...I think the chickens are perfect! The 3rd one in the background was just the right touch!!!

meowmeow
09-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Yes! Super car...love the car and having tried one myself I can really appreciate it.
I know they were not necessary but I am glad to see the chickens back there...and the gravestones. It all works...wonderful colors. YOu should be very pleased.

Sandy

Kathryn Wilson
09-20-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys! Glad to put this one behind me - you know there are some paintings that just stare at you for months and months asking to be done that I finally said I had to get on with it. I wish you all could see this in IRL - it looks so much better than this photograph.

As usual, the painting taught me more than I could ever have imagined when I started out.

prestonsega
09-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Kat

I like this one so good I felt I needed to tell you again,,,,and thanks for the chickens..I'll pretend you did it just for me :cool:

Kathryn Wilson
09-20-2004, 07:39 PM
You'll never know how many times I decapitated that rooster trying to get him look just right - :evil:

You are making me blush - but's that okay, put's some color in my face!