PDA

View Full Version : Polyeurethane

jbitzel
09-04-2004, 10:43 AM
I would like to paint a stool for my son, and I would like to know if there is anything wrong with applying polyeurethane to acrylics. I plan on staining the stool first, then paint, then clear coat. Should I be worried about anything? :confused:

Einion
09-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Nope :)

Einion

Richard Saylor
09-04-2004, 12:53 PM
What Einion said.

I have a wood hiking staff which I made about 20 years ago. It was painted first with a coat of pthalo blue acrylic; then a streaky glaze of alizarin crimson acrylic was applied (which simulated a dark stained mahogony). It was finished with several coats of clear polyurethane. It has had extensive outdoor use in all sorts of weather conditions, but other than a few scratches and dings, the coatings show absolutely no sign of deterioration.

jbitzel
09-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Even though I misquoted you saying that multiple washes would peel, you have been a big help in the technical aspecs since I have come to wetcanvas. Thanks

sassybird
09-04-2004, 01:11 PM
I use polyurethane over a lot of different mediums including acrylics. It holds up very very well. You can also get it in several stains that can add interest to certain paintings.

Richard Saylor
09-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Even though I misquoted you saying that multiple washes would peel, you have been a big help in the technical aspecs since I have come to wetcanvas. Thanks
Thanks for the compliment.

Enchanted
09-04-2004, 07:17 PM
I would like to paint a stool for my son, and I would like to know if there is anything wrong with applying polyeurethane to acrylics.

A learning experience. When I first began producing "hiking sticks" for myself and a few of my hiking buddies, I used acrylic varnish as the "final" coating. I soon learned that on a "sweaty" hike the acrylic becomes sticky - not unlike having your hiking stick coated with honey! :( After I changed to using polyurethane varnish for the final coat, the problem was solved. I've used polyurethane over acrylic in many other applications - furniture finishing one of them. Acrylic varnish does NOT give waterproof protection to furniture in the way that polyurethane does.

eezacque
09-05-2004, 07:05 PM
The polyurethane I used shows a slightly yellowish colour which is disturbing over a white background. If you're applying it to light colours then I think it is wise to try it first on a sample piece...

Bam - Steve O Rama
09-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Hey guys,...I'm new to canvas painting and was curious if the water based polyurothane would be ok to finish my acrylic canvas painting. I'm trying to develope a plan of action so I can keep on painting without messing my art work up.

Thanks,...Steven ;)

Einion
09-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey guys,...I'm new to canvas painting and was curious if the water based polyurothane would be ok to finish my acrylic canvas painting.
Not really no. It's perfectly acceptable for 'craft' applications but for fine-art work it's not considered suitable. Some people do use polyurethane to varnish acrylic paintings but I think it's a bad idea for two major reasons - it's more brittle (a big concern for paintings on a flexible support) and impossible to remove in due course without significant risk to the paint layer.

Einion

Bam - Steve O Rama
09-06-2004, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the poly.

Thanks again,...Steven :wave:

chandlerjr
09-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Not really no. It's perfectly acceptable for 'craft' applications but for fine-art work it's not considered suitable. Some people do use polyurethane to varnish acrylic paintings but I think it's a bad idea for two major reasons - it's more brittle (a big concern for paintings on a flexible support) and impossible to remove in due course without significant risk to the paint layer.

Einion

Einion,
What do you thing is the best "final layer" over Acrylics to protect it (Acrylic on Canvas)? Notice I didn't use the word "Varnish" although there are Acrylic "varnishes" out there on the market.
Larry C .

jbitzel
09-07-2004, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the help, I am now confident that my sons stool will look great with a hefty coat of minwax polyeurethane. :wave:

Einion
09-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Einion,
What do you thing is the best "final layer" over Acrylics to protect it (Acrylic on Canvas)?
Hi Larry, a spirit-soluble varnish of the type now made by many manufacturers of artists' acrylics. The fact that Liquitex, Golden, W&N, D-R, Talens and probably others all make basically the same type now is reasuring, plus they are much more forgiving during application compared to the water-soluble acrylic varnishes which is a nice plus.

For specific recommendations, you'll probably find Soluvar and MSA the easiest to find in the US.

Einion