PDA

View Full Version : Black Eyed Susan

quinacridonemagenta
09-04-2004, 09:19 AM
this is poured acrylic with interference (a type of paint that prisms under differing lighting conditions, its mainly on the butterfly) and copper leaf overlay (on the dancer's body). 36x48inches, stretched canvas
i'm happy with her. she makes me feel some joy. tell me what you think......feelings, interpretations, criticisms, etc.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2004/43464-DCP_0001.JPG

ExpressiveAngie
09-04-2004, 11:08 AM
I dont really know how to put into words what this makes me feel...other than to say it would be wonderful to live inside your world if only for a few moments. :clap:

sassybird
09-04-2004, 01:19 PM
This is right up my alley. I do similar works with watercolors then go in and pick out what I see after the paint dries. You did a great job on this. I would display it in my home:)

Eileenjm
09-05-2004, 03:36 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I love the loose style you have used here the colours you have used blend wonderfully together and to me the butterfly looks as if it is dancing on an arrangement of flowers and foliage. Beautiful work.
Eileen.

quinacridonemagenta
09-06-2004, 06:14 AM
thank you for looking and sharing your comments. i wanted to wait a few days after i finished it before i varnished it - i think i'm very satisfied with it at this point and nothing is jumping out at me that i want to change.
(except i can't varnish it today because of Hurrican/Storm Frances raising the roof on the humidity, so hopefully later this week conditions will be better).

Angie: you don't want to live inside my world. its a little depressing. somehow i paint like this. i don't know how. but my world is nothing like this. i could never dance or let go, or flow, the way i can on canvas.
do you see the eyes hiding on the right side forewing (the top wing) of the butterfly. the eyes are purposefully obscured. that would be where i sit in my world. the eyes in there are stunning in person, but it was difficult to photograph them.

Artguy29
09-06-2004, 08:18 AM
This is a very powerful piece. The colors are excellent. Very interesting technique. Well done!

Ursus17
09-06-2004, 08:47 AM
Forgive me for asking a silly question, but what does "poured acrylics" mean? (I assume you pour them on instead of using a brush, but maybe I'm wrong?)

I am so tempted to try this if this is the technique you used to create this piece. I have come back to look at it several times. Its so beautiful. Each time I look at it I see something different.

To me its seems magical that someone could express themselves this way. Glad you posted this!

Carrie
09-06-2004, 11:45 AM
I like it too. I'm not sure if the interferance shows up on my screen but I really like all the movement and the organic feel of all the shapes.
Carrie

themanda
09-06-2004, 11:48 AM
do you see the eyes hiding on the right side forewing (the top wing) of the butterfly. the eyes are purposefully obscured. that would be where i sit in my world. the eyes in there are stunning in person, but it was difficult to photograph them.

those were actually the first thing i noticed...would it be possible to get a larger detail shot of them?

katz
09-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Beautiful colors and design.
What support did you pour the colors on?

Katz