PDA

View Full Version : First pics - what do you think?

wildwire
09-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Hi! My name is Shauna and I am from Regina, Saskatchewan Canada- I have posted a few times but never showed any pics...I am just wondering what you guys think of my technique - I have been lampworking since the beginning of July and use a QT.....I used the scanner so I am not sure how the pics turned out! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Shauna

Mori
09-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Hi Shauna! Since the beginning of July? I believe you're a natural. I love the first set especially. Nice work. Oh yes, Welcome to WC! This is such a fantastic place to gain knowledge and to meet some of the most wonderful people willing to share themselves and their work. Enjoy!!

~Maria(Mori)

glassyeyed
09-04-2004, 01:00 AM
I cannot believe that you've only been lampworking for 2 months. Are you sure it was July of this year?? Your beads are awesome. I agree, you are a natural.
I also really enjoyed your signature line. That's a philosophy that I can get behind! :evil:

imlettengo
09-04-2004, 02:19 AM
Hi, Shauna...just wanted to say KUDOS.. :clap: :clap: :clap: Your work is gorgeous!!! :envy: If you get down to south Alabama, I desperately need lessons from you!! I just THOUGHT my dd is a natural. Your miles beyond her. (don't tell her I said that , tho! :wink2: ) We started about June, too. Although I'm not sure I want to tell that anymore. lol Be sure to let me know when you put any of your stuff up for auction??
We're working on a HH and have had lots of trouble with sooting and streaks and I suddenly HATE propane. Going to MAPP next week. We might get as good as you are after that.

Peace

imlettengo
09-04-2004, 02:21 AM
Oh, yeah...forgot. Did you have lessons??and from whom??? byby

Peace

Daphne of Dilluvian
09-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Hi Shauna,

:wave: I am a former praire girl myself (Swift Current). You've obviously got the gift. Do you practice 12 hours a day? Great shapes and control. Look forward to seeing more of you on the canvas. I'm pretty new here too, but am just delighted to be seeing more and more Canadians out there, esp. in the West. Family you never knew you had.

Daphne

David E Ricketts
09-04-2004, 04:15 AM
VERY GOOD! :clap: :clap: :clap:

wildwire
09-04-2004, 01:16 PM
HI! Thank you everyone....I was registered for a class in July with Beau Anderson but it was cancelled due to lack of interest...so I bought a few books and tapes and got started....I have to admit tho - I can only do dots and donut shaped beads....I can't make a cylinder or barrel bead! I am really struggling with encasing...Out of 10 bottles of mapp gas - these are the best!

I have wanted to start learning how to do this for three years since I found out there was a difference between Handmade lampwork and production lampwork! I have been selling jewellery at Juried arts and crafts shows for three years - WILD WIRE DESIGNS...and I am already behind - there are at least 3 or 4 more people selling lampwork in my area....

Thank to everyone - its a nice confidence booster when someone else other than your husband or Mom like your stuff!!!! ha ha ;)

Shauna Mitru :)

dgg112
09-04-2004, 01:24 PM
HI! Thank you everyone....I was registered for a class in July with Beau Anderson but it was cancelled due to lack of interest...so I bought a few books and tapes and got started....I have to admit tho - I can only do dots and donut shaped beads....I can't make a cylinder or barrel bead! I am really struggling with encasing...Out of 10 bottles of mapp gas - these are the best!

Thank to everyone - its a nice confidence booster when someone else other than your husband or Mom like your stuff!!!! ha ha ;)

Shauna Mitru :)

WOW Shauna, you're unbelieveable!!! Great job!! I started in May and you're way ahead of me!!! I was on a QT but it died about 2 weeks ago, so I'm on a HH now, it's hotter than the QT! I just counted my bottles and I have 10 too!! LOL Thank goodness, I go to bulk propylene on Wed when my 27 lb tank comes in. woohooooooooooooooooo!!! :clap:
Keep sharing with us you're doing great!!!

Orca
09-04-2004, 01:40 PM
Hi Shauna, and welcome!! Nice to have another Canadian on board!

Your work is wonderful, you really are gifted! :clap: :clap:

Dallas
09-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Hi Shauna,
Those are absolutely wonderful. Don't sell yourself short saying you can only do dots and donut shaped beads, they look quite perfect to me. Also don't forget your talent for color. Your color combos are great :clap: . I think getting that down is much harder than a barrel bead. Keep it up.
Cheryl

Daphne of Dilluvian
09-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Encasing is hard to do well, but of course that is what I was really drawn to at first and therefore my beginner beads (and I use that term loosely) were very disappointing. There is a great article on encasing at the beginning of the Glass Art Channel. What really helped me "lift off" in my technique was getting a copy of "Passing the Flame" by Corrina Tettinger. It told me what I was doing wrong and saved me oodles of time and frustration. Worth every penny. Lots of ideas and a fun read.

Daphne

quill
09-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Well, my dear. You are a prodigy. I am amazed at what you have done so far & look forward to seeing your progress.
It should be astounding!

wildwire
09-04-2004, 07:57 PM
I have Corina's book! I also have Heather Trimlett's and the "everything you need to know about beads book" and the Cindy Jenkins book! I love to read and research!

I realize this all takes practice and sometimes I want to try it all and then can't do anything! OVERLOAD!!! Thanks to everyone's reply and kind words....

Shauna

Virginia L.
09-04-2004, 08:16 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Verrrrrrrrrrrrry nice, Of couse I am always excited to see anybody doing raked stars, my fav' - what a GREAT job you are doing - Have FUN - Virginia L.