PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Boys

paulb
09-03-2004, 08:55 PM
Hi all,

Haven't been around for a while due to computer problems, so this is my first post in a couple of months. It's done from a photo of two boys taken in Sweden during the summer. Would love some C+C - especially about texture, or rather get it!

Cross posted in Structrued critiques - hope no one minds...

Paul.

SweetBabyJ
09-03-2004, 09:47 PM
I don't mind your composition- you'll prolly get a lot of flack about lines leading the eye off the page, but that can easily be countered if you increase the contrast in the figures. Right now, while they are well-rendered and endearingly posed, the figures lose significance because they are overshadowed by the contrast in the background. If you pumped up the contrast in the figures- both tonally and with colour-play- the background would not be so distracting.

prestonsega
09-03-2004, 11:53 PM
The figures and fabric folds are so exceptionally well painted, but I have to agree with Julie....the busy geometric background is too distracting from the great organic shapes of the human figure.

ps..I had my turn in the barrel with my new laptop problems, so I understand the frustrations you probably have recently felt.

K Taylor-Green
09-04-2004, 01:50 AM
Yeah, the head of the boy on the right almost blends into the pattern behind him. More contrast in the figures would really punch them up, and lessen the impact of the background. This has the makings of a great piece!

dexonsbabe
09-04-2004, 04:05 AM
I also have to agree with what has been said, although the background is very well done it is a distraction from the boys which are lovely. :D

Dark_Shades
09-04-2004, 04:20 AM
yes I have to agree with the others here....... its beautifully illustrated..... you might want to check the boy's right arm who is sitting on the right as we view it...... the length of the upper arm appears too long and the forearm on the short side... there is a bend in it around the knee area which gives it a strange look

it is a lovely piece though...... and can easily tell they are swedish, lol, what with their blonde hair and football kit :)

paulb
09-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Hi all...

Thanks for your comments - I wasn't amazingly happy with the background, but more because of the similarity in tone than the composition of it. I'm not that good at taking material from different photos and combining it into a finished piece - I always mess up either the scale of people to background objects or havethe light coming from different angles.

Back to the drawing board (literally!),

Paul.

khourianya
09-06-2004, 03:21 AM
I love the textures in this piece. The entire painting is wonderful, but those fabulous textures just jump right out at me!

Khadres
09-06-2004, 11:49 AM
This is great work! BUT....have to agree about the emphasis....I found myself admiring the lovely shading on the concrete steps and other areas and NOT looking at the boys! This isn't BAD, per se, the background is fabulous, but I know you intended the boys to be the focal point. They are actually beautifully rendered, altho I'm no expert on anatomy, and I agree that emphasizing the lights and shadows within the figures would likely bring the eye to them much more effectively!

Can't wait to see more of your work!

karenlee
09-07-2004, 01:37 PM
I really like this picture. The boys are WONderful!
If it were mine (wish it were) I would soften some of the sharp edges in the background, fix the blend of the hair color and brick background, and show more warm tones in the lower step surfaces that face up, just to give a warmer tone to the atmosphere. Overall it is a brilliant drawing as it looks easy and natural.