PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Pencils

Donn
09-03-2004, 08:39 PM
What brands of Pastel Pencils do you recommend for a newbie? :confused:
Any thoughts on Koh-I-Noor brand? Others I see are Carb-Othello, Faber-Castell, Derwent, Van Goh, Centracolor. There may be others I'm not aware of.
I intend on using them for fine detailing. I have Rembrandt box of 30 pastels.
Thanks.
Donn

SweetBabyJ
09-03-2004, 09:43 PM
To each, their own, Don. Not much of an answer, I know, but for me (and me alone) the answer is "whatever brand has the colour I need". Some brands are softer than others, some a bit more "pure", some are extremely difficult to shapren- but every brand has some strength- especially if you know how to use it.

Look at it this way (since it's how we justify buying all the supplies we do) You can never have enough colours- so try them all and then decide which you like best. Good excuse to go shopping.

PS: I think I have an at least small set of each brand of pencils you mentioned. But the brand means nothing to me, I choose what I need by colour.

Donn
09-03-2004, 09:56 PM
To each, their own, Don. Not much of an answer, I know, but for me (and me alone) the answer is "whatever brand has the colour I need". Some brands are softer than others, some a bit more "pure", some are extremely difficult to shapren- but every brand has some strength- especially if you know how to use it.

Look at it this way (since it's how we justify buying all the supplies we do) You can never have enough colours- so try them all and then decide which you like best. Good excuse to go shopping.

PS: I think I have an at least small set of each brand of pencils you mentioned. But the brand means nothing to me, I choose what I need by colour.
Thanks for your comments. I don't live near any art store so have no idea what the consistancy of the various brands. Can't look at any to see.
Are the same colors available in each brand? What I mean is are a set of 12 pencils of one brand the same colors in another brand of 12? Or 24?
Thanks.

SweetBabyJ
09-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Different brands will contain one each of the primaries and secondaries, after that, it's a surprise. Often, it's easiest if you can buy open stock, but few online places do that.

So, sorry, but the only solution is to buy more and more and more. Money is no object- really! I mean, if the nation as a whole is headed for obesity, why not do your part and spend money on pastels rather than food? See? That's logic, that is.

Well, twisted, but logic of a sort.... :D :angel: :D

Sorry I'm not more help- but it's really a matter of taste- you gotta try and decide for yourself.

khourianya
09-03-2004, 10:44 PM
I mean, if the nation as a whole is headed for obesity, why not do your part and spend money on pastels rather than food?

Makes sense to me...do we call it "The Pastel Diet"? Actually - come to think of it - since I started painting in pastels, I've probably lost 5 pounds...it's hard to eat when your hands are covered in green dust! :p

As for your question, donn...it really is a personal preference thing. I own a few pastel pencils (just for detail work) ... I have a white derwent pencil and a black and a grey Faber-castell. Personally - I prefer the derwent, and will likely buy some more of them in the future.

Like with other pastels, your best bet is to try a few open stock. I had a chance to test out a few different brands when I bought the F-C pencils and they were the smoothest of the several I tried.

As for softness (this is from www.dakotapastels.com)
Comparing Pastel Pencils - Listed in order of softness (#1 being the softest)

#1 FABER-CASTELL PITT
#2 CARBOTHELLO
#3 BRUYNZEEL
#4 VAN GOGH
#5 DERWENT
#6 CONTE
#7 CRETACOLOR

AND - for $9 dakota sells pastel pencil samplers...which means you can try them all out and see for yourself which you prefer...

Donn
09-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Thanks, Cori, for your information. :) This will sure help a lot. Will have to give Dakotapastel a try.
Hope a few more come on the thread and relate their experiences with different pastel pencils. Yes, I plan to use it only for detail work.
Donn

Kathryn Wilson
09-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Hi Donn, as with soft pastels, there is no simple answer as to what to buy. I think you will find in the end that you will need pencils that vary in hardness and softness in your detailed drawing. In using soft pastels, I use many brands starting with the hardest and winding up with the softest.

The Dakota sampler is a good way to go - it's not us that will be using them, you will, and only you will know best what will work with your method of working.

Hope you have fun and post the results!

prestonsega
09-03-2004, 11:38 PM
I agree with Kat,,go with the sampler,,,and Dakota is a great company to deal with....Craig is never too busy to answer technical questions and he is quite knowledgable. Some say that Dakota is "pricey", but the service is A1.

dexonsbabe
09-04-2004, 04:40 AM
I have tried a few of the ones you mentioned but now only use the Faber Castell pitt pastel pencils and I love them but I do whole pictures with them mainly animals and find they do all I want them to do. :D