PDA

View Full Version : first post in this forum

ruffiegirl
09-03-2004, 08:33 PM
I hope this is the right place for this, if not, sorry. I usually hang out in the watercolor forum. I'm more of a 'lurker' right now in all forums, but I really like this drawing and wanted some feed back (praise :clap: ) It was done on a 5.5" X 8.5" piece of poster paper and colored with Gel Pens. A friend put the idea in my head when he joked about his BBQ-ing experiences.

AFM159
09-04-2004, 12:42 AM
Hi there! :wave: Thanks for coming in and shareing, we're happy to have ya.

Nice little drawing.

I would say that if you are trying to illustrate a concept or a joke or something that you need to have something specific happening. Right now I see a rather funny little man holding a spatula standing infront of a grill, but as to "why?" or what he's doing, I don't know.

Illustration often is about communication. Getting accross an idea or concept in drawing form. Something where words would fail or take to long.

So, maybe something needs to be happening to this guy or he needs to be doing something to get accross the humor of the situation.

Keep at it, we'd like to see more.

designbyjen
09-05-2004, 09:32 PM
welcome ;)
ditto w/ dave...who happens to be a major fan of BBQ (ha ha).
this has got a real interesting style & if you really like it...i'd say 'go to town' & do a whole bunch. it's hard to see detail w/ what the gel pens look like in the more solid areas (could get weird when scanned)...but if there's a consistancy throughout a body of work & the technique is interesting, but not distracting...anything can be used.
if you'd like to get more serious w/this...get yourself a current copy of 'the artist's market' & research some publication outlets. for just starting out you'd want to work in b&w also so you don't limit your cashflow (it's easier to start out w/ bk & wt spots w/ the smaller, & less $ paying mags.)
again...the message for an illust. has to be clear in itself or w/ the help of text...maybe it'd be easier if you had a friend play 'art director' & tell you what to do--just a suggestion anyways.
thanks for popp'in in & sharing...ya come back na, ya hear?
~~~jen