PDA

View Full Version : Peeling

jbitzel
09-03-2004, 08:34 AM
In an earlier post Saylor talked about peeling when doing washes. I am working on a piece right now where I painted a picture and then painted over it. After that I sprayed water on it untill it ran down. I use Liquitex HV paints, will this peel? :confused:

jbitzel
09-03-2004, 08:36 AM
by the way it's on a cheap streached canvas.

Richard Saylor
09-03-2004, 08:41 AM
I didn't say anything about peeling.

jbitzel
09-03-2004, 08:52 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211197

Re: Mixing water

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einion
FWIW I stopped using medium almost entirely about ten years ago and generally thin with water alone as I prefer its flow characteristics and find it more controllable. And no, I don't have problems with the paint being underbound before anyone asks acrylic paint is mostly acrylic medium so you have to thin it a LOT before that even starts to be an issue. Even then it all depends on how you paint and on what whether you should even worry about this.

If you want to put more than one wash or thin glaze over an area, and you thin only with water, the paint will lift when you apply the second wash. Using medium will minimize this problem.

Richard Saylor
09-03-2004, 09:16 AM
Oh, I see. Here goes...

I apply a layer of paint and let it dry. Then I apply a second layer. The previous layer is said to "lift" if it starts dissolving and intermixing with the new layer. (When a lot of water is used to thin the paint, the binder may be diluted so much that the paint film fails to be sufficiently water resistant to prevent lifting. This can be corrected with the use of medium.)

jbitzel
09-03-2004, 09:46 AM
thanks for clarifying, I'm just a rookie :wave: