PDA

View Full Version : Sunflowers 3

emmachester
09-03-2004, 03:02 AM
I tried to improve on my first 2 attempts at sunflowers. This is the last of the sunflowers for this summer (I promise.) I was going for a slightly 'cartoony' feel to this one. If that makes sense.

C & c welcomed. 9x12 Wallis

Sherry

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2004/47091-Sunflower_3.jpg

Cheena K
09-03-2004, 03:35 AM
It looks very nice and "dreamy"... I can feel the gentle breeze flowing through!

great piece! :clap:

soap
09-03-2004, 03:35 AM
Lovely, lovely! More darks please! It will give it more depth.

Kathryn Wilson
09-03-2004, 07:32 AM
I love the cloud effect behind the flower heads - nice look to that.

Not sure what you mean by cartoony - more illustrative than painterly?

meowmeow
09-03-2004, 08:05 AM
Dreamy is right. This is lovely. Maybe more darks, but it might lose the dreaminess.

Sandy

Pinecone Conniff
09-03-2004, 10:09 PM
I really really like this painting a lot!! :) ...I too would like to see more darks...especially in the two flowers on the left so that the main flower on the right will really look like it is enjoying the sunlight & breeze!!...
This piece has great personality! :clap:
Annette

prestonsega
09-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Cartoony? I appreciate the softness of it...I'm going to be a fence sitter on the darks issue.....either way it's still going to be a nice work.

K Taylor-Green
09-04-2004, 01:44 AM
I like it as is, so I think I will sit with Preston!

emmachester
09-04-2004, 02:21 AM
I waited to post because I wanted to get more opinions, and I also just wanted to think about it for a bit. Like most beginners, I have a problem going dark enough, and I always want to be open minded about the feedback that I receive. Having said that, I've come to the conclusion for myself that this picture doesn't need more dark. It's not good enough to sell or enter into a show, but I think it does capture the feeling I wanted. 'Cartoony' was a bad choice of words--maybe 'humorous' or 'lighthearted' or as some have suggested 'dreamy'--I can't quite get the word. Whatever the word, I'm happy with it.

I always value (and sometimes even print out) the feedback I've received.

Thanks for taking the time.

Sherry

DGrau
09-04-2004, 08:23 AM
This has a very soft almost surreal feel to it..well done
regards
david

SweetBabyJ
09-04-2004, 10:30 AM
You done good.

With that soft, "dreamy" background, increasing contrast in the flowers would've made them look "cut-out" and pasted on- as it is, the whole has a soft, whimsical feel to it, and works well.

llis
09-04-2004, 10:48 AM
Sherry:

I really like this piece! Just to play around with it a bit, take a look at some crop options. Right now your focal area is right in the middle of the painting...which is certainly okay, but if you crop that left side a bit, it will help you give the other side a bit more breathing room. The sunflower on the right is looking out of the painting, so it makes sense to give it a bit more room. Maybe not in this painting, but another like it, try putting a bug on that top right flower. That will give the view something else to look at. For a beginner you certainly did a lot of things right! It's a lovely painting just as it is. :)

emmachester
09-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the additional c & c. I'm amazed how generous pastel people are with praise and feedback.

llis--I, too, was considering cropping the left side and you helped me decide.

Sherry

Mikki Petersen
09-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Soft and lovely. My personal preference would be to deepen the dark values to give this more drama but that is only my preference.