PDA

View Full Version : Dark Silver

Leenashorses
09-03-2004, 01:41 AM
Here is a quick pastel work I did last week. I used one of the reference photos here on Wetcanvas. I needed to do something quick and sketchy after all the detailed work with Patience of Time (it was a cp work I posted on animals&wildlife + color pencil forums if anyone´s interested. It is also on art-agent). This is mostly very soft pastels on velour/suede board. (Not 100% sure which as it is sold here as velour board and resembles a lot the suede board pieces I managed to find yesterday.) I used sennelier white pastel (very soft), rembrandt dark grey pastel (half-soft) and conte de paris bright blue (quite a little of it and so lightly it looks more like grey than blue)

I named it Dark Silver.

Leena :)

soap
09-03-2004, 03:39 AM
This is beautiful! It does not look there is a lot of pastel on the paper, just a lot of careful planning where those vital highlights go. Very nice piece! Good title as well.

Dea
09-03-2004, 04:40 AM
Lovely,
I envy people who can do stuff like this, if I draw from a photo I always seem to end up with a copy rather than a piece of art.
By the way My horses name is Silver.

Leenashorses
09-03-2004, 06:17 AM
And I always wanted to have a horse whose name would be Silver or Silver Shadow or Silver Ghost. Maybe one day :)

And true, there is not much pastel used. Only the highlights as the background is black.

Leena

Kathryn Wilson
09-03-2004, 07:29 AM
I admired that photo in the library too - he is a magnificent horse. Very nicely done - and aptly named too. :clap:

eponaluna
09-03-2004, 12:58 PM
Wow! Could that be more dramatic if it tried? Beautifully done! You call that quick and sketchy???? You are making the rest of us look bad! ;)
Cara

Meldy
09-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Very nice and I have a lot of respect for it as well as each stroke had a purpose and a plan... would have been very easy to mess this up! You succeeded and I like it!

Dark_Shades
09-03-2004, 04:50 PM
If there is very little pastel work here, you have placed it perfectly.... gives it great shape & form, definately precious metal

..... well done

Paula Ford
09-03-2004, 08:01 PM
WOW this is outstanding!! My husband agrees and says it looks like glass!!

Paula

Pinecone Conniff
09-03-2004, 10:01 PM
Before I clicked on the thumbnail of your piece I thought it was a sculpture & you were in the wrong forum!! :eek:
Very cool!! :cool:
Annette

khourianya
09-03-2004, 10:35 PM
I had to wait a moment before i could post - this literally stole my breath away. You have done an absolutely magnificient job on this. Bravo! :clap:

prestonsega
09-03-2004, 11:45 PM
You've definately taken a unique approach to pasteling. "Hi ho
Silver, ,...away!" lol

Khadres
09-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Just lovely...so mysterious and almost iconic, like a totem dream or something. Too cool!

DGrau
09-04-2004, 08:02 AM
I really enjoy seeing works like this..very minumal lines which capture so MUCH!!
well done
david

Mikki Petersen
09-04-2004, 12:54 PM
This is a lesson in control...wow! You must really plan carefully to achieve such minimalism on black paper. Well done!

Leenashorses
09-05-2004, 12:13 PM
I typed an answer and it got lost in bit space I guess :)
what I wrote was. thank you, all. I was not certain people would like this because it is so dramatic and done so quickly. I am a bit of an engineer when it comes to painting: I need to have every hair in place and it takes discipline NOT to do that.
And minimalism: that was a real compliment as this is what I was striving for.

Leena :wave: