PDA

View Full Version : nude sitting. xposted

furrtig
09-02-2004, 11:54 PM
still trying....

TedDawson
09-03-2004, 02:50 AM
Not too shabby. If anything, I'd say it looks a little forced. Are you using a model? If so, I would concentrate on doing several quick, 30-second sketches with your model changing her pose each time. We'd call these scribble sketches... they wouldn't be line outlines, but loose, loopy scribbles to find the form and balance. This really helped me gain an understanding of how the body works as a whole. In addition, another exercise is to do the same thing but, again forgoing any outlining, only shade in the dark, shadow areas. Aside from general anatomical drawings to learn the skeleton and muscles, these types of exercises are very beneficial.

I think these might also be called "gesture drawings."

designbyjen
09-05-2004, 10:36 PM
ted's got a great suggestion. the beauty of the gestures is 'drawing through' w/ those loose shapes. so for example...being able 2 see the tilt of the pelvis through legs that cover them...so as to know how they work together. then when it 'works' you can go back in & darken the form outlines or transfer that sketch for incorp. value etc.
you are tackling a very difficult pose in the area of the neck & head. the face comes across very mask-like due to the strong sketch line @ the jaw. the pose as a whole does feel more complete than the previous & is very 'henri mattise' -like.
hands & feet can be tough, but just like any tough area...easier when close-up studies are done. gotta love all those sketches the 'masters' left behind!
keep it up ;)
~~~jen