PDA

View Full Version : Threading organza ribbon and rattail (satin) cord

Lori-O
09-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Seems like I read somewhere about needles for doing this.

I want to be able to pull organza, silk, and satin ribbon/cord through my beads more easily.

What kind of needle do I need? Can I pick one up in a fabric store?

Thanks!

Beads-Me!
09-03-2004, 09:28 AM
There are beading needles with flexible holes - those might work for you.. :)

JAM Creations
09-03-2004, 09:31 AM
I think it's called the Big Eye Needle. The entire needle is split in two down the center so you can thread any kind of material through it. I'd get a couple 'cuz they break easily. Or maybe it's just me--I'm awfully hard on my needles!

SuzyQ
09-05-2004, 07:40 AM
I use a piece of thin wire or beadalon. Fold it in half and place the ribbon in between the two two pieces and near the crease. Fold your ribbon over and feed the two ends of the wire through the bead. You can then pull the ends to guide the ribbon through your bead. If it is a tight fit you can use pliers.

beclectic
09-05-2004, 10:22 AM
They have Big Eye needles for sale at Michael's if you decide that is the way you want to go. You can also use those twisted wire needles that come with silk beading thread. Unwind the eye area, remove the last little piece of silk thread that is in there and put you material through the hole.

ShineyObjects
09-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Hi!
At Michaels', Hobby Lobby, or most any craft store, you can find Westrim Crafts products. They offer a package of five needles style 900, easy threader large eye needle! If your local craft store doesn't have them, talk to the manager and see if he/she will order them in for you! Best Beading to All! ---------Mona

Lori-O
09-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks tons for all the advice. I have a feeling I will need to use different options for different combinations and sizes, so this is all great info!

Cheers!

Lori