PDA

View Full Version : "Baby Jag" WIP

Artguy29
09-02-2004, 12:43 PM
I decided to challenge myself on this one. I found a picture of a Bob Ross Wildlife painting and I'm trying to paint it in acrylics. I'm currently working on the second layer of the fur, so the paint is still pretty thin; better to fix any problems now than later. C&C appreciated. Please keep in mind that I'm taking an OIL painting and converting it to ACRYLICS, so there will be some major differences between my painting and the picture. The colors might be off because my acrylics don't come in some of the colors he used.
9"x12" acrylic on canvas Thanks for looking,

Dave

coherent
09-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Wildlife and animals are very challanging... fur can be really tough. Try starting with a good sketch outlining your basic shapes...placement of the parts so to speak and the light and dark areas... then start with a base color and approximate the colors and values of your baby tiger. Even with the initial base coat, ensure your brushstrokes go the same direction as the fur. On any animal, the direction of the fur will be different everywhere on it especially the head... if it doesn't go the right direction and isn't the right length in the right places, it won't look like the critter you're trying to depict, as thats what we see and recognize. Then start putting in lights and shadows to indicate more texture and detail. Continue to work on refining the details. It helps to have more than one reference photo of what you want to paint... I've beleive to be a good wildlife artist you really have to know animal anatomy and study them in person. Thats kinda hard with a baby jaguar though!
Make sure you have a good basic beginning sketch... if you don't have that right, you'll have a nightmare trying to fix what was incorrect in the first place. If you just want to try and paint a likeness of the photo you posted, try sketching in the basic shapes in the correct perspective, then turn your work and the references upside down and try to block in lights and darks as shapes, not jaguar parts... you'll be amazed at the final result when painting light and dark shapes, instead of what you think you want to paint. One tip to remember is make your initial sketch a little smaller than you think is should be. When you start adding fur or feather, it'll grow! I have about 7-8 good books on wildlife painting and all have some great techniques and tips... if you don't have any books, they will really help. One in particular that you may like is by Terry Isaac called "Painting the Drama of Wildife Step by Step" I mention it because his work and techniques are in acrylics. If nothing else, his work will really inspire you!
Sorry for the long winded post. Have fun!
-marc

sassybird
09-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Bob Ross was an excellent teacher of technique that can be used in any painting. Some people frown on his work, but I feel he was a wonderful artist. I think you are coming along very well with this piece, and you are getting there with the fur. It does take a lot of time to do the fur when you first beging doing wildlife paintings, but once you have it down, following the way the muscles lay and the skeleton it becomes easier.

Artguy29
09-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks, Marc and Charissa. I was looking through the oils forum about a month ago and noticed, too, that many people "look down" at his work. I always have and still watch his show whenever I can. I don't do many "Bob Ross" paintings, but he has a way of inspiring you to paint, no matter what the subject or medium. Well, that was the goal of his technique so I guess it worked. Even after seeing him complete many paintings, I am still amazed on how they look. Anyway, I have a very good feeling about this one, unlike the other two that I started and never got to finishing. I have been doing some watercolor and oil paintings lately, so it took away from my acrylics. This piece brought me back!

Dave

Vicki_Oz
09-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Hi Dave

I don't know if you're trying to copy painting exactly....or just the technique.

If you are copying it ...then you might want to look at the position ..your jaguar is looking at us...the other is looking away.....as a result the nose looks to be in the wrong place.... and he doesn't seem to have a chin.

I always think animals are difficult....so I don't profess to be any kind of expert...this is just my observation.

Good luck with it!
Vicki

Silent Jaguar
09-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Gotta love jaguars! :wave:

ExpressiveAngie
09-03-2004, 07:17 AM
Gotta love jaguars! :wave:

LOL :D

Nice effort Dave, I think fur is so hard with acrylics (even tho some make it look easy).

Artguy29
09-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Here is an update. I haven't touched the ears yet; focusing on bulding up layers of fur.

Dave

Silent Jaguar
09-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Here is an update. I haven't touched the ears yet; focusing on bulding up layers of fur.

Dave
If you are having difficulty with fur, have a base color for the fur then try using a fan blender and/or dry brushing. :cat:

Artguy29
11-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Hi all,
Just wanted to 'bump' this thread up (so those who haven't seen it can). I finally have time to finish this, but before I do any more painting, I want to see if there's anything that needs to be fixed before continuing.
Thanks,

Dave

Artguy29
11-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Here's an update:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2004/25905-babyjag12.jpg
I'm continuing working on the fur, using many, many layers.
I have blocked in the basic color of the ears as well.
I have also increased the color of the background for better contrast.
I thought I would also include a picture of my palette:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2004/25905-palette.jpg
I've been using this one since early August, just letting the paint pile up. It's a work of art itself :D !

Dave