PDA

View Full Version : first pastel portrait, 'cowboy'

Grasshopper
09-02-2004, 12:11 PM
drawn freehand (obviously?)
plain ol' art Strathmore art paper 18x24"
Rembrandit & nupastels
couple hrs. or less total
photo ref courtesy Jcoop (but I screwed up the original in Corel beforehand)

c&c welcome, I think, but I'm nervous. This is real raw and loose for me.

Grasshopper
09-02-2004, 12:20 PM
well that was good.

let's try again. :o

Khadres
09-02-2004, 12:29 PM
LOL...don'tcha hate the upload thing sometimes? This looks GOOD to me! I like the drama of the shadows and lights! Are you done with it or do you plan to do more? You might want to try this one on a paper that's easier to work on sometime too! VERY good for a first portrait, I'd say!

K Taylor-Green
09-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Well, I think it is great! You have captured his likeness without a lot of extra detail. Well done.

Dark_Shades
09-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Im not is you have finished with this or not, but if it were mine I might just make more of the shadow, and follow the shape using the photo as a guide.... looks good, and great hat

well done

DGrau
09-02-2004, 05:11 PM
Very good first portrait.........Well Done!!
david

bnoonan
09-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Gotta agree with the others - excellent work as a first portrait. I like the unfinished look of this and the way your work is quite loose as you explained it was.

Well done!

Barb

Kathryn Wilson
09-03-2004, 07:39 AM
Grasshopper, wonderful job on this - I've always liked portraits done this way - leaves a little to the imagination. :clap:

Grasshopper
09-03-2004, 08:26 AM
honestly, I couldn't have done much more with it these days anyway. I'm fighting with what I believe to be tendonitis in my right arm (yes, the one I write/draw with). I've had it since the end of May and it's not getting better, it's getting worse. When I do my art I pay dearly. Can't stop altogether, though...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I feel totally encouraged by you.

khourianya
09-04-2004, 01:12 PM
You've kept the style loose, yet still captured a definite likeness...this is awesome.

Sorry to hear about your arm. I hope it's not Carpal Tunnel. I'm a graphic designer by trade, so I know that is always a concern in my line of work...

JCoop
09-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Hi Faith. This is beautiful and loose! It make a very powerful and gritty statement. I think the degree of finish is genius. You definitely have an affinity for this type of portraiture work.

joemajury
09-06-2004, 08:45 AM
Faith.
I think this is great for a first Portrait.
Your use of shadow really works well on this one, and I have to say I like the cut off on the right as well, it sort of leaves your mind open to interpret the rest.
I look forward to seeing more of your Paintings.

Joe
:wink2: :wink2: