PDA

View Full Version : S&T, Thursday September 2

Oskadis
09-02-2004, 04:17 AM
Hi again :wave:

I promised Jacinthe, that the next item I would do after I am done with chokers would include one of the gorgeous beads she made for me :)

Here it is. I call it memento mori. Yes, utterly goth, I know. That bead really got me inspired ;) but well - I guess that the theme it calls for is pretty obvious as well.

Gunmetal plated brass, vintage czech beads, 2 jet Swarovskis and 1 siam Swarovski tipped headpin. All on satin cord.

Thanks Sarah!

Lori-O
09-02-2004, 04:45 AM
Nice stuff! Isn't Sarah the sweetest? :angel: Hi Sarah! :wave: The beads are in the kiln!

Okay..

I've been just swamped, burning the candle at both ends. Fortunately, I can sleep in tomorrow.

After loading up the kiln with ceramic beads (Whew! That gets tedious!) I got out this pendant that I made and used the copper chain I'd been waiting on. I don't remember what the stone is made of, but the gray transparent etched lampwork is mine. Dangle from McDuck. Now I just need to buy a shiny copper clasp. It's always sumthin'!

To take a look at my alter ego's work, go to www.islaga.org. We just launched "my" new web site for the group, which is 41 strong now!

Andee
09-02-2004, 04:54 AM
Karen - I like the necklace, the brass pieces pick up the curves of the vessel very nicely! I also like the vessel - great work, Sarah and Karen!

Lory - nice! I really more and more like copper - you did a great job there!

Here's a necklace I finished last night, but I was too tired to post in in yesterday's S&T. Initially I made the focal to go with the aubergine freshwater pearls I used the last days, but it came out way too huge. Instead I used white freshwater pearls and Swarowski bicones in various sizes and continued with firepolished glass beads. There might be more later, my day only just started... :)

Oskadis
09-02-2004, 04:59 AM
Lori - the combination is beautiful. I am liking copper more and more.

Andee - such a beautiful bead, and such an exquisite combination of materials. Love it. :)

Lori-O
09-02-2004, 05:02 AM
Yes I find myself working with copper a lot. Especially when iridescents are involved.

Andee, Did you finish off that necklace with FW pearls and little metallic beads? I really like that. Beautiful bead, I love the caps!

Andee
09-02-2004, 05:26 AM
Karen - thanks! You made my day! :)

Lori - ta! :) I only used freshwater pearls in the front section, as I didn't have round ones that are small enough to go with the 3 mm firepolished glassbeads... So I just used those for the rest, alternating with silver coated seed beads.

MadameKali
09-02-2004, 06:24 AM
gosh, barely 6 am and already three pretties to look at! Karen, you know I dig your goth stuff... ;) I like your piece too, Lori! Especially that focal bead. Andee, I love your pearls and swarovskis, very classic.

Love it!

Oskadis
09-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Will think up something special for you, Susie :evil:

TurtleBay Jewelry
09-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Nice work Karen and Lori! I should do more necklaces...I just don't have the patience.

Andee, delicate and charming as usual! :clap:

Here's my finished (and last one for a while) Spiny Knot bracelet. It was fun while it lasted, but I've had enough knotting and intricate (for me anyway) beading. LOL. That cured that itch. NEXT!

Anyway, this turned out much better since I tweaked the few things I would have changed with the first one...i.e, using one color perle cotton and making sure the loop and the end of the bracelet colors matched.

Woo woo!

~D.

Andee
09-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Susie and Danielle - thanks! :)

Danielle - I love it! :clap:

TheBlueBetween
09-02-2004, 10:45 AM
Great work everyone again ! :)

Well here is my final attempt to make this into a stephanie spiney knotted. Two versions had knots. Two did not. This one does not. I gave up - I just don't have the kinds of beads to make it interesting without using my seed beads. And I had a hard time not using a needle... maybe I'm just weird. Anyway, it's just as full and fun as my original Stephanie bracelet that I bought at the Gathering -but different obviously as some of the beads are smaller. Done in purples and blues and closed with my own knockoff starfish button.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2004/27814-1spinybracelet.jpg

It looks a lot better than the photo - I'm not sure how to photograph it to it's best advantage...

TurtleBay Jewelry
09-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Pam, I think you did a great job! I think I had an easy time with her particular style because it -doesn't- require a needle and thread. I can't do the Kate McKinnon style ones to save my life. I had a lot of practice with macrame too, so that was really helpful.

Regardless of the method you use, I think it's all about achieving the effect you like. Two thumbs up, because I think it's gorgeous and I totally LOVE the starfish!!!

I can't ever get enough water/ocean themes. ;)

Cheers!

~Danielle

TheBlueBetween
09-02-2004, 11:22 AM
Pam, I think you did a great job! I think I had an easy time with her particular style because it -doesn't- require a needle and thread. I can't do the Kate McKinnon style ones to save my life. I had a lot of practice with macrame too, so that was really helpful.

Regardless of the method you use, I think it's all about achieving the effect you like. Two thumbs up, because I think it's gorgeous and I totally LOVE the starfish!!!

I can't ever get enough water/ocean themes. ;)

Cheers!

~Danielle

Isn't that funny Danielle - we all do have our own special talents that make our work our own, don't we?

Though I have done a lot of macreme too - that part was easy for me - getting the beads to look good in between all the knots was another story - I was feeling too limited that way and couldn't get them to behave. LOL.

Pam

Gingerbiscuit
09-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Beautiful things to look at today!

Danielle and Pam, fab bracelets. You starfish is superb Pam. I would love to wear them both. Maybe Iíll get a chance to steal, oh no, wrong thread!

Gorgeous work everyone! :)

Andee
09-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Pam - your bracelet is superb! :clap:

TheBlueBetween
09-02-2004, 04:12 PM
Here is another bracelet from me - I kind of wish I'd balanced the lampwork bead with the clasp a little better - spaced them out a little more. Oh well.
The button is one I snagged out of my mom's antique button box last summer - it says london and some other things I can't read on the back - seems to be copper on the front, brass on the back. Do you think I should leave it as is or try to polish is up some?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2004/27814-1sandbracelet.jpg

And here is a better picture of the starfish bracelet :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2004/27814-1purpbracelet.jpg

Andee
09-02-2004, 04:18 PM
Pam - with the better pic your starfish bracelet is still superb! ;) And the other one is really lovely, too. Personally I don't mind that the lampwork bead sits so close to the clasp. As for the button - I dunno, it might turn out to be too coppery for the golden beads after you polished it, I would leave it as it is! :)

TheBlueBetween
09-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Pam - with the better pic your starfish bracelet is still superb! ;) And the other one is really lovely, too. Personally I don't mind that the lampwork bead sits so close to the clasp. As for the button - I dunno, it might turn out to be too coppery for the golden beads after you polished it, I would leave it as it is! :)

Thank you Andee! (And Lynne too :) )

The patina on the button does look great with the beads - the picture doesn't do them justice - they look like sand at the beach... Plus I have no idea if the button is worth anything and if it is messing around with it is almost always a bad idea.

Mary Riggs
09-02-2004, 06:19 PM
My "FISHies, Kelp, & Mermaid Bubbles" Bracelet, made for a friend a few days ago. Because I live right on the beautiful Oregon coast, nautical themes are very popular. I wanted this bracelet to have a lot of movement when my friend wears it to mimic the oceans waves, so I didn't add a lot of fringe to it, which in my experience cuts down on the flow.

Where might I find a tutorial on the "Spiny" bracelets a few of you have referred to? They are quite beautiful and seem like they would be fun to make!

tamjai
09-02-2004, 07:34 PM
mary - go to the jewellery links and listed under tutorials you will find 'how to make a spiney fringe bracelet' there is also a link on the opening page of the lush garden project page - have fun, they are addictive!
great work today - i'm drooling :D
tam

MadameKali
09-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Pam, I love that button--don't touch it :D The patina on it makes it interesting, eye-catching. I like the other bracelet, too, but the green one is more my colours. ;)

Danielle, I like your beads that look like buttons--or are they buttons? hehe. It reminds me that I have tons of buttons still to make jewelry...

Is everyone doing a beachy theme lately? Danielle must have inspired us ;) cool bracelet, Mary! what a good friend you are. Maybe I need to become friends with you, too. :evil:

I think I finally figured out what to do with the clasp on my recent seaglass piece, so maybe you'll see something from me soon.

TurtleBay Jewelry
09-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Pam, leave the button alone for sure! I love the contrast of high polished beads against a patina'd button. Really nice.

Mary, love those fishes! They're quite organic in feel.

Susie, if you mean the purple ones on the bracelet in today's show and tell, those are actually grecian ceramic spacers I use in my wirework. I just threw a cube bead on top to anchor them down. Aren't they a great color??

Kudos to all of you for a great S&T today!

I sold a huge chunk of inventory tonight, so whee, I have more money to pay for new silversmithing tools!! WHEE! :evil:

~Danielle

Lori-O
09-02-2004, 11:43 PM
I love the bracelets with buttons! So chic!

I worked on a pendant tonight, I think I need some more danglies. I wish my wire wrapping was more even and neat! It's thick copper with a long twist. The bead is ceramic (caramel glaze), the danglies are copper, bone, wood, and glass seed beads. A warm look for Fall.

toozygoot
09-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Wow! What a great Show & Tell! :clap: :clap: :clap: Every piece is just grand! And I think I just have to make a bracelet! I am coveting each and every one!

Question! Danielle - where did you find that silver bar piece that you used in your clasp?

pat

TurtleBay Jewelry
09-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Pat~

Hugs to you, my FL friend! I keep missing you in passings between MI and FL. As for the clasp, it's just a pewter button I picked up at the fabric store. I liked the rectangular shape in contrast to all the round beads.

Can't wait to see yours!

~D.

Mary Riggs
09-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks so much, Tam, for the tutorial/links for the spiny bracelet! After looking through this forum, I will definitely cruise on over there.

Susie, I love to make new friends; maybe we can swap bracelets some day.

Lori, your pendant is very organic with a lot of movement. I just love copper anything! Did you make the large bead? Only you know if it needs more dangles; you are the artist!

Best get over to today's Show and Tell and admire more goodies.

kate mckinnon
09-09-2004, 10:13 AM
I wanted to mention that I also have been doing a lot of experimenting with this look, and have found a neat way to combine the Kate and the Stepanie techniques into a cool piece. I have a new kit coming out. Basically, the idea involves knotting the elements individually, and then stringing them all together in whatever pattern pleases you.

It's easier to control the look of the finished piece, and can be easily taken apart for sizing or repair, unlike either of the other two techniques.

It will be on my web site sometime soon, I'll post a link when it's finished. I like to keep things simple, too, I'm really happy about this idea. I did a new Shag Carpet of Pearls kit that's a lot easier too. Simplify, simplify. Life is hard enough, isn't it?

kate

http://www.katemckinnon.com

TheBlueBetween
09-09-2004, 10:18 AM
I wanted to mention that I also have been doing a lot of experimenting with this look, and have found a neat way to combine the Kate and the Stepanie techniques into a cool piece. I have a new kit coming out. Basically, the idea involves knotting the elements individually, and then stringing them all together in whatever pattern pleases you.

It's easier to control the look of the finished piece, and can be easily taken apart for sizing or repair, unlike either of the other two techniques.

It will be on my web site sometime soon, I'll post a link when it's finished. I like to keep things simple, too, I'm really happy about this idea. I did a new Shag Carpet of Pearls kit that's a lot easier too. Simplify, simplify. Life is hard enough, isn't it?

kate

http://www.katemckinnon.com

Thank you Kate! Can't wait to see them :)