PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic medium?

mooz49
09-02-2004, 02:21 AM
I have been painting with acrylics for about 2 years now and I read somewhere on this site about using a glossy medium to make acrylic painting easier .............. do any of you use a medium for this reason?

gnu
09-02-2004, 04:13 AM
I used to, but not anymore because I use a knife and need it thick!
depends on the effect you need...it does strange things to the surface sometimes..I found water would actually wipe off the previous layer(perhaps I used too much gloss..) I quit using it because of this..
I suggest you try finding a paint with the right consistency in preference to adding gloss medium, it's cheaper too..
try a few things though, it can ba a personal choice

quinacridonemagenta
09-02-2004, 05:42 AM
i use Golden's acylic glazing compound. i wouldn't say that it makes painting easier, it just makes it different. it comes with its own set of problems (ie, overuse or not allowing enough drying time will make it peel).

for the most part i use it when i'm blending in more subtle areas, or areas that i need the canvas to take up a different texture (the bare canvas stains, which is what i want for some purposes but not all.). the last painting on my webpage was done with very little glazing compound, but the Black Eyed Susan was. you can see the difference better in person.

Enchanted
09-02-2004, 08:50 AM
I have been painting with acrylics for about 2 years now and I read somewhere on this site about using a glossy medium to make acrylic painting easier .............. do any of you use a medium for this reason?

One of the 'basics' when painting with acrylics is to avoid too much 'thinning' or 'dilution' using only water, unless you're deliberately working in a 'watercolor style.' For example: I'd use only water if using acrylics on watercolor paper. But on canvas I use mostly medium. But using the medium instead of water isn't going to make anything "easier" - I don't think.

Artguy29
09-02-2004, 08:57 AM
There are many types of acrylic mediums ranging from blending mediums to retarders. Each medium will give you a different effect, so if you plan on getting one, be sure to do some research. As you know, to make acrylic paints flow better, you add a small amount of water to the paint. When you are using thick paint, though, adding water would thin the paint so you need to use a medium. Mediums can also slow the drying time of the paint, making it much easier to achieve smooth edges. Without using a medium, you have to blend your colors while they're still wet (which won't be for long :) ). This can be hard to do when you're doing a larger sized painting or a large area. I don't use an acrylic medium myself as I am still experimenting with various techniques and haven't decided if I need it. All in all, it does make acrylic painting somewhat easier, after you learn the best way to use it.

Dave

paintdrop
09-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Nothing like the personal experience. Buy & Try!

mooz49
09-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Many thanks to Gnu, Quinacridonemagenta, (did I spell that right!) Jaxas and Dave for taking time to reply to my question. :wave: What a great place to learn new things about painting. I will probably eventually 'try and buy' at some stage but in the meantime I am going to try what Gnu is doing ......... painting with a knife......... I fancy doing that!

dspinks
09-02-2004, 11:39 AM
I use regular medium (gloss or matte) as a standard with my paints. It is made of the same materials as the binder in the paint, so it will not cause slower drying time than straight paint unless you add retarder. Using only water will make for faster drying time, but I avoid using water only as it has created uneven results in color dispersion for me in the past. I mix my mediums into the paint on the palette with a knife. It gives a more consistent result to the color and saves wear and tear on my brushes.

I add a slow drying medium (either Golden's Glazing or Liquitex Blending) when I want to blend - it dries slower because it has retarder added to it. Painting too many layers too fast or using additional retarder will cause lifting and tackiness problems.

I use a fast drying medium (Liquitex Glazing) when painting multiple, thin layers.

Debra

mooz49
09-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Thanks dspinks for your info also. I will look around for Golden's Glazing or Liquitex Blending. ( not sure if we get them here)

Anne