PDA

View Full Version : Muffin the cat

maha
09-02-2004, 02:15 AM
Well, it's been ages since I last posted anything in this forum. A friend of mine and I are working on a concept for a graphic novel. She wrote it and I am going to do the illustrations since she isn't much of an artist. The story is about a guy named Sam and his cat, Muffin. After Sam's girlfriend Sandra breaks up with him, he is stuck with this mischievous cat. It pees on his papers that he needs for work (he's a writer) and Sam's editor is always breathing down his neck about screwing up. Muffin even destroys Sam's love life too. So Sam has no choice but to get rid of him...only...he can't. Sam doesn't have the heart to give him away, and when he tries to let him loose, Muffin always comes back. It' s just a man, his cat, and a slew of interesting characters including Sam's gay neighbor, Jorge. This is the gist of the storyline anyway. This was the first drawing that I've doon thus far, any comments welcome.

designbyjen
09-02-2004, 09:37 AM
this has got a '3's company' kinda feel, like 70's/80's. so by your style i'd be expecting this to be a really funny read.
so is this a 'finished' piece for it or a refined sketch? i'm ask'in cuz the technique doesn't have an overall 'i'm finished' polished feel to it. i don't know how you work so i don't wanna assume.
i'm not a barnes & noble book monger so i don't know stylistically 'what's hot' for this sort of book...but wanted to ask if you & the writer had gone out browsing your area of seeming 'competition'? just a thought anyways...anything to help a body get an 'edge'.
how many illustrations do you suppose you'll do?
have fun w/ this great opportunity :wink2:
~~~jen

AFM159
09-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Hi there maha, thanks for posting! Interesting concept, would like to see more.

I can't really comment on wether I think this will or will not work as a Graphic Novel with only this image to go on. I would want to see some page layouts, more art, and some of the story.

Do you want a full crit on what I see in this one image?