PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Boats in the Cove

khourianya
09-01-2004, 11:52 PM
I worked from this reference image for my very first attempt at pastels and hated the finished product so much that I promptly destroyed it (if you look through some of my posts, you can likely find a photo of the first try in a post about reflective water).

Anyway - I decided to try again on a different ground with some of my new pastels and, thus far, I am way happier with the results. C & C are always appreciated. Please help me make it better :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2004/47843-cori_cove.jpg

Daler-Rowney Paper (cream colour) and assorted pastels (Rembrandt, Alphacolor, Faber-castell Polychromos)

prestonsega
09-02-2004, 01:24 AM
I missed your first post but the reflections in painting are reading well to me.

Paula Ford
09-02-2004, 02:04 AM
Great start...beautiful color choices and the reflections are superb.

If you have the reference picture, would you post it? Thanks

Paula

khourianya
09-02-2004, 10:23 AM
I uploaded the reference photo into the reference library this week...here it is...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/data/42/47843khourianya_peggy6.JPG

As for the previous post of it...http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210074&page=2

tampster1
09-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Off to a great start. Love the reflections. A couple things you should consider though. take a good look at the rocks I feel they need to be toned down they are competing with the boat to much. The other thing is your background needs to have a little definition in it. it is reading very bland.. add some darks or even dimensions strokes in the bushed to add depth. Overall looks great. :clap:

khourianya
09-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks, Tammy,

Yeah - I'm going to be adding in detail in the background tonight (I hope - life is insane right now) and toning down the rocks a bit. I agree that the brown rocks are a bit overpowering.

Hopefully tonight my new pastels will be in the mailbox! I did some shopping for open stock...but am still desperately low on colour choice :rolleyes:

Khadres
09-02-2004, 12:47 PM
This is coming along very nicely! The reflections are neat! My only quibble is with the composition overall, which is not your doing if you're to follow the photo ref. If this were my ptg., I'd crop off quite a lot at the top so that the boats and shoreline were the main focus (well, they ARE now, actually, but that amorphous background space is so large and not really pertinent, I think). If you did that, then you could have fun detailing a bit of the shoreline stuff to bring the eye to the boat and into the reflections and back again. As it is now, I tend to get lost in all that green up top as if I'm trying to find something of interest there instead. Sorry if I don't make sense, here...:D I know what I mean, but....disregard if I sound crazy, I won't mind!

emmachester
09-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Very nice start, Cori. I agree with Khadres, the reference photo is giving you some trouble. You have really strong horizontal lines that take your eye off the page. I think you might need to crop or change the grassy area with some horizontals. Someone with a strong eye for composition could probably give you specific ideas, but you're half way there.

Good work.

Sherry

DGrau
09-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Glad to hear you are doing better this time around :) You are off to a good start..nicely laid out. Kahdres has a good point, if you would like to show off the water more.
best wishes
David

khourianya
09-03-2004, 07:40 PM
ok..here's an update. I've been puttering at it a bit and have been working on the rocks and adding grasses. I am still needing more detail, but I think I am on the right track....I don't want to crop it, but if I can't get those boats to "pop" more I may be forced to...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2004/47843-revised_cove.jpg

Jenny32
09-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Hi Cori,

It's coming along great! I love the subject matter!

One thing I noticed is that if you look at your reference picture, you'll see more blues and tans in the boat than in your painting. And, of course, once you really start laying in your darker values, then your picture will "pop" more.

My suggestion, and you'll probably hate me for saying this, is to get rid of the red boat. It's "kissing" your main boat and it also pulls my eye out of the picture. I think if you do that, the rest of it will "read" better. The viewer's focus will automatically go to your white boat. Then you can darken the water, add ripples. . . and then highlight the boat with some warmer tones.

Looking forward to more updates!!! Great job!

- Jenny

khourianya
09-03-2004, 08:07 PM
I totally don't hate you for that, Jenny...you're totally right. I blocked it out with a piece of paper just now and I think it looks way better.

Now back to play with my darker values :)

prestonsega
09-03-2004, 09:41 PM
" can't get those boats to "pop" more"

I can hear the battle cry of art teachers throughout history, "Push the darks!" lol

khourianya
09-04-2004, 12:54 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2004/47843-revised_cove2.jpg

Cropped....and more detailed...am I on the right track?

prestonsega
09-04-2004, 12:57 AM
I would leave the red boat....it is a nice echo of the red in the rocks.....use your artistic liscence to place it slightly forward of the tanis boat, but I definately don't think this crop works

khourianya
09-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Ok...taking that advice, I played with giving the red boat a bit more definition...I'm still not sold, but I think it isn't leading the eye off the page anymore (or as badly - lol). I am thrilled with my reflections, finally, and I think I may be just about done. Any last comments or suggestions are welcome. I may set this one aside and come back to the "to crop or not to crop" later on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2004/47843-revised_cove3.jpg

prestonsega
09-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Any last comments or suggestions are welcome. I may set this one aside and come back to the "to crop or not to crop" later on.

I think you have made great progress in the last 2 weeks. You are asking the right questions and attempting the suggestions given, but I would still like to see you push the darks more. Sometimes it can get overwhelming, so let it sit for a while, turn it toward the wall and give youself a break......often returning to a work after resting your brain allows for further progress. I think the change of the red boat works better than the crop you posted. Your reflections are good,,,but if you decide to work further on this painting, I would suggest reviewing DeeArtist's tutorial reply to your request for help with water. There is a wealth of info packed into that one post. :)

Khadres
09-04-2004, 06:52 PM
I like the red boat too!

khourianya
09-05-2004, 10:58 AM
Thank you so much, everyone, for you kind words and excellent feedback. I am going to give this one a break for a bit and go work on something else, but I do plan to come back to it and play with darker values some more.

I just wanted you all to know how much I appreciate the feedback. I have learned so much since I started to come here!!!

bnoonan
09-05-2004, 11:35 AM
I've watched this progress from the sidelines and have enjoyed what I've seen. It seems like you pushed the darks in one image - perhaps it was the photo taken but it seemed more powerful once they were in place.

Gotta agree - those reflections are looking grande!!!

Well done and I'll be sure to check back in.

Barb

khourianya
09-06-2004, 03:23 AM
Thank you Barb.

I think that I am finally tiring of painting pictures from my trip to Nova Scotia. it may be time to break out my scrapbook from my trip to the UK two years ago and see what is "painting worthy" in there :D

Dyin
09-06-2004, 12:14 PM
this was a fun thread to read through..you really made some good changes and I enjoyed seeing the progress you made. You got some great help and you worked through the corrections really well and got some nice definition on the boats. :clap:

tampster1
09-06-2004, 03:29 PM
dont give up now.. just crop below the outcrop, darken the shadows under the rocks and see if you like it any better then.
Tammy