PDA

View Full Version : Second Arnold painting!

Jason Seiler
09-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Hey everyone! Not sure if you remember me or not? A while ago I posted my first painting of Arnold...this is the second one! Just finished yesterday! This is I believe my eighth acrylic painting.

I'm also attaching some close ups to show you some of the detail!
Take care,
-Jason

lensman
09-02-2004, 07:17 AM
Great job - AGAIN - Jason. I love that texture you've got going on in the yellow background.

Glenn

Shelbylynn
09-02-2004, 07:21 AM
I love everything about this! Great job. :clap:

Artguy29
09-02-2004, 08:41 AM
You've done it again, Jason! Excellent work!

Dave

coherent
09-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Outstanding job Jason... perfect!
-marc

Lady Carol
09-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Brilliant.

How did you do the smoke?

Jason Seiler
09-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks everyone! Nice to hear compliments!

How did I do the smoke? First off, everything in the painting I used referance for. The pose of Arnold in the suit, I had a body builder friend of mine pose with a cigar, I took many pictures, this way I could get the most natural pose, the creases in the coat would look right. I bought a minature American flag on a pole, I then sprayed it with spray-glue, and quickly formed it so it looked like a larger flag hanging down on a pole...as for the steak, I went to a local grocery store, brought in my painting told them what it was for, that I needed referance of steak. So they stacked up a bunch for me, again I took a bunch of photos. As for the smoke, I didn't have referance. I wish I would have used some sort of referance, it would have looked better! For the smoke, I called my dad, asked him how he would do it. Basically all I did is watered down white, I mean really watered it down, then I just built up layer after layer until it had the effect I was going for.

Thanks again for all your kind words...hopefully I will be getting pictures of Arnold holding both the paintings I did for him...if that happens, I'll post the pictures here for you all to see!
Take care,
-Jason

LarrySeiler
09-02-2004, 02:47 PM
don't know what the deal is...but my lame browsers aren't showing the pics here at school. Works fine at home, and I've seen the images Jason has sent me.

Another excellent job jason...and the steaks are exceptional. Brilliant even!

You were able to take a simple explanation over the phone...and demonstrate excellent handling for doing your smoke. I'm impressed...

Many will insist that medium absolutely must be used to thin down acrylics, to paint transparent layers, to have long term binding properties...and so forth...but all I've ever used has been water by itself. Some of my own works have 30 layers or more of such careful transparent rendering to effect.

Its a patient process, a bit like drawing and slowly building layers, and you prove once again by the finished work that this method is reliable and not out of reach. Great job kiddo!!!!

Larry

sassybird
09-02-2004, 03:28 PM
WOW! Jason, you do such a wonderful job on these pieces of yours. This one I would love to see the whole piece. I had to wait a long time for the download of the detail shots. Try using uploader under quck links at the bottom of the menu. Make your file 500x600 at 100K or less and that will speed loading. I am very impressed by the smoke and the steaks especially. Excellent job all around.

Vicki_Oz
09-02-2004, 07:52 PM
This is a fabulous piece Jason....congratulations!

I agree with Larry.... I've only ever used water for transparent washes....I have tried the mediums and find water to be the best....and yep it does take patience! lol

Vicki

Warhead
09-03-2004, 03:04 AM
wow nice work

ExpressiveAngie
09-03-2004, 07:02 AM
the apple doesnt fall far from the tree...you are obviously very talented :)

Einion
09-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Excellent Jason, your use of colour in a new medium is most impressive. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Aug-2003/3842-thumbsup.gif

...hopefully I will be getting pictures of Arnold holding both the paintings I did for him...if that happens, I'll post the pictures here for you all to see!
Yes, please do!

Einion