PDA

View Full Version : HELP with "Summer's End"

Paula Ford
09-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi All, Would you please help me with this...the water in my reference picture has a slant to it just like I've done it here. For some reason, my eye does not like this. What do you think?

(Please don't look at any other portionof the painting...I just roughly sketched it.)

Thank you!!
Paula
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2004/1978-summersendforwc.jpg

Kathryn Day
09-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Hi Paula,
Yes, the water at the left as we are looking at it, appears to go uphill. Maybe make your pastel strokes more blended there, so the water will look more level? I don't know what I am doing most of the time, but thought I would give it a shot. lol Love the trees in the background! Ignore me if you get more experienced answers. :rolleyes:

pjo
09-01-2004, 11:54 PM
Hi Paula, I am a rank amateur with water, so take this with a grain of salt, but the water ripples do seem to change to a sharper angle near the shore. I love the rich color of this though, and how the warm reflections are stated further back.

prestonsega
09-02-2004, 12:22 AM
initial impression of the painting was "Ooooooo!,Wow"..nice. As to the water, remember cameras have a tendancy to distort. Go with what you know about painting and finish this end of summer beauty. :clap:

emmachester
09-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Paula--I am also no water expert, but my eye says that the water isn't 'flat.' There is the illusion that the water dips down behind the boat, but of course the plane of the water surface should be flat.

Even though you said not to, I looked at other parts, and I have to say that the boat is superb. You've captured the look of evening light falling on the boat and the ground.

Very good start.

Sherry

Paula Ford
09-02-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks everybody for the GREAT advise.

Here is an update photo
More C&C please.

Thank you, Paula

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2004/1978-boat2forwc.jpg

prestonsega
09-02-2004, 01:39 AM
Paula....the tree just sparkles.....this is a beautiful scene, There is one thing that instantly came to my attention....the gold of the leaves seems to need to be repeated somehow in the lower half of the painting, I think it would give a greater sense of unity to this already great work.

Paula Ford
09-02-2004, 01:50 AM
Thanks Preston!! I will absolutely repeat that when I finish the right side of the painting. Great advise. Thank you!!

Paula

P.S. I forgot...this is 12" x 18" Wallis paper, soft pastels (all the new ones I bought at the Santa Fe Expo.)

Natalie NZ
09-02-2004, 02:57 AM
I think this is just beautiful - a lovely rich coloured autumn day. :clap: :clap: I wish I could do landscapes like that.

Regards, Natalie :wave:

meowmeow
09-02-2004, 08:33 AM
Lovely sparkly painting! I agree with Perston though...you need to echo some of those colors.
Coming along very nicely!

Sandy

Mary Robinson
09-02-2004, 09:03 AM
You are right, the water does look slanted, but that is because the strokes are slanted. I did a little fix in Photoshop, blurred out the original slanted lines and then stroked over with straight horizontal lines, to show you what I mean.
Hope that was ok, and that it helps.

Mary

Paula Ford
09-02-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanks Natalie & Sandy!! Will be finishing this up today and will put some of those colors on the right side of the painting.

Mary WOW, that makes all the difference. Thank you so much!!

I dreamt about this painting all night. My mind was trying to solve the problem of the water and also trying to find something to fill in on the right side of the painting. LOL

We'll see what happens...off to paint.

Thank you!!
Paula

Khadres
09-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Bushes always fill in empty spaces nicely! :D Actually, I've SEEN water rippling in on a lake at an angle like that, but the trick would be to keep it ALL at that angle, I think. Still, Mary's fix is probably best pictorially. Are you going to put in some mid tone leaves on the tree? My monitor seems to see only the darker and bright yellow ones now and it looks a bit odd that way? Maybe a mass tone mixed in here and there would tie it all together. I think the reason I notice this is because it's exactly the way I used to try to do trees in oils...every leaf separate and perfect...never quite worked for me either!

This is a very pleasing scene, overall, and you have very little left to finish it up! Nice one!

bnoonan
09-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Paula, I'm joining in on this late and truthfully not reading all that has been said but I think my favorite part is the way you captured that late light angle that comes on at this time of the year - it just is perfectly captured and I do enjoy all those colors and delicate nature of the leaves in the trees. There's a sense they are small leaves being slightly moved in the breeze and twinkling in the light.

Well done!!! Those new pastels have served you well. Looks like you are having fun.

Barb :clap: :clap:

evildad
09-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Wow! That tree is spectacular. I really like the contrast of the orange in the leaves against the vibrant blue of the water.

Since these are wind-driven ripples (as opposed to ripples from something dropped in the water), they should be more or less parallel to each other. Since they are at an angle, they should converge in perspective (think blue-colored wood floor).

I'll chime in again about the leaf color needing to be pulled into the lower part of the painting. Maybe just a scattering of fallen leaves in the foreground?

Very very nice :clap:

Dark_Shades
09-02-2004, 01:41 PM
another late arrival...... but what a beauty :clap: ... Gorgeous Paula!!!.... it sure does sparkle .... love it ...... just a few swipes and the water will be level

..... great colours, great piece...... well done indeed

DominicM
09-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Paula, although I am exiled to watercolour forum at present, could not help but pop in and comment.

1) this is stunningly beautiful, hope you are going to show (Put it in an exhibition) when it when finished..

2) I can see the improvement in you work, painting by painting...

Congratulations and keep them coming...

CarlyHardy
09-02-2004, 02:50 PM
Seeing this really makes me want to head for the mountains and paint plein air....soon the leaves will be turning!! Already I see signs in my dogwoods that summer is over :)

You're doing great....and sometimes we have to take artistic license to a scene to make a painting :) Watch those sparkly highlights....too many and they won't have the same impact.

carly

Artistammy
09-02-2004, 03:03 PM
:wave: This is looking really good. I agree a little of the leaf color on the other would be nice. I don't know what I'd do about the angle of the water. I don't know if the converging perspective comment is right but sounded like it could be - have to think about it. The boat looks really great - like I could step into it.

Paula Ford
09-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Thanks so much you guys!!

Ok, here it is again...mostly finished.

The reason I would like your HONEST opinion is because this a is a bit different style for me and I'd like to enter it in the fair, and I'm feeling a bit insecure so I really want your opinions.

Do you think it's good enough to be in a fair? I WANT YOUR HONEST OPINION. Or does it look "cartoonish"?

Thanks, Paula
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2004/1978-finalboatforwc.jpg

Dark_Shades
09-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks so much you guys!!

Ok, here it is again...mostly finished.

The reason I would like your HONEST opinion is because this a is a bit different style for me and I'd like to enter it in the fair, and I'm feeling a bit insecure so I really want your opinions.

Do you think it's good enough to be in a fair? I WANT YOUR HONEST OPINION. Or does it look "cartoonish"?

Thanks, Paula
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2004/1978-finalboatforwc.jpg

.... are you jesting!!!! ...... its a beauty..... and LOVEEEEEEE the final additions :clap: :clap: ...... perfect, love the little ones added into the boat..... its probably TOO Good to enter into a Fair :p :)
..... well if it doesnt win first prize or the very least an award..... send the judges to specsavers :cool:

Kathryn Day
09-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Wow! Paula,
This turned out great!! You have style! Please enter it into the fair, then when it wins something you will get a boost in confidence!

Paula Ford
09-02-2004, 04:27 PM
{BLUSHING BIG TIME}

Thanks so much Dawn & Kathy and to all who have commented...This will be the first thing I've ever entered into any competition. Wish me luck.

Sometimes I feel that my work is nothing if my teacher, Paul Friske, isn't standing by to help me with every stroke. Unfortunately, the paintings that my teacher has helped me with can't be entered.

Paula

Tammar
09-02-2004, 04:33 PM
This painting just glows so beautifully.....the way the light sparkles on that water and the finishing touches of leaves on the ground & boat....just love it!

SweetBabyJ
09-02-2004, 04:33 PM
It's a very sweet piece, Paula, and should be quite popular. Congratulations.

Artistammy
09-02-2004, 05:26 PM
Wow! Yes, it's good enough to enter into any fair I've been to. I hope to hear you won. :clap:

Khadres
09-02-2004, 05:27 PM
DEFINITELY enter it! Whatcha got to lose and ya may wind up rich and famous! :D The loose leaves on the ground work well, BTW.

DGrau
09-02-2004, 07:10 PM
HI,
This is a lovely piece..by all means enter it in the fair. I just wish to say that I think you have grown a lot scince you have first posted here, and should be more confident in yourself. Lots of good things going on in this painting.
Very well done!!
Best of luck
Best wishes
david

bnoonan
09-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Just promise us you'll let us know how it goes with the fair. Congrats!!!

B

Kathryn Wilson
09-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Wow, I must have missed this one - but enjoyed seeing this painting in all its stages. That last version tho is the "wow" factor - your last edits to it just make it sing.

By all means, enter it into your fair - lots of people will get to see it and see your name too. Good business.

Paula Ford
09-02-2004, 09:32 PM
OH GOODNESS!!

Thanks so much everybody!!

Will let you know about the fair.

You are all so sweet!!

Paula

frump
09-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Paula, I thought straightening the horizontal lines made a huge difference! What a wonderful pastel.!!! I am a new member, its great to be able to get such helpful reviews. How do you display your work for reviewing ?

Paula Ford
09-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Paula, I thought straightening the horizontal lines made a huge difference! What a wonderful pastel.!!! I am a new member, its great to be able to get such helpful reviews. How do you display your work for reviewing ?

Hi frump and WELCOME to the Pastel Forum.

Thank you very much for your kind words!!

First you start a new thread in the Pastel Studio (if you are using soft pastels). Once you have taken a photo and reduced it in size to 100k or smaller, you can either use the "manage attachments," or click on "quick links" and then "image uploader." Remember, when you are using the image uploader, you need to wait a minute before it shows the link and then hit "copy," close the window, and then paste it into your post before you "submit reply."

I hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing your work!!

Paula

Paula Ford
09-03-2004, 12:43 AM
I have been searching and searching the WC Image Library for my reference photo for this painting but couldn't find it. I thought for sure it came from here, but unfortunately it didn't. I must have been doing a Google search for images one day and that is where the photo came from. Looks like I won't be able to enter this after all. Thank you all for all your help. This one will have to stay in my private collection.

Paula

DGrau
09-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Sorry to hear you won't be able to enter your painting, but I think it shows great integrity on your part. Hope you can look with pride on something well done, which you did all yourself, and that offsets your dissapointment.
best wishes
david

Artistammy
09-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Paula, Have you thought of asking in the landscape forum & the photography forum if they recognize the photo? I have heard others say that they were positive they used an image from the library but then couldn't find it again. It might be worth a try to see if someone would claim the photo & then you could enter your painting.

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Or, you could PM the Moderator, or leave a message in the Library Forum to see if anyone recognizes the photo.

Did you by any chance save it in your "Favorites" folder in the Library - I store a lot of my images there until I am ready to use them.

Don't give up yet!

Paula Ford
09-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks David. I ALWAYS try to do the right thing :angel: , even though there is a little devil :evil: inside of me trying to make me do otherwise LOL.

:wave: Hi Tammy, I actually found the site that the picture came from. Thanks anyway.

Do you think if I emailed the photographer of this picture, and asked his permission to use it, he would let me? My biggest fear in this is he would get really mad and take me to court over it!! :eek: But, if the painting is only shown here on WC and not sold or entered in competition, he couldn't take legal action, could he?

Paula

Paula Ford
09-04-2004, 12:13 PM
Or, you could PM the Moderator, or leave a message in the Library Forum to see if anyone recognizes the photo.

Did you by any chance save it in your "Favorites" folder in the Library - I store a lot of my images there until I am ready to use them.

Don't give up yet!

Oh Hi Kat. We must have cross-posted. Please see my response above. Thank you, Paula

P.S. Yup, I've got lots of "favorites" in my folder from the image library, but unfortunately this wasn't one of them. Sometimes, I'm so stupid :mad:

Mikki Petersen
09-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Paula, this is a splendid example of taking the best from a photo and enhancing it with your own impressions to make it a painting. Beautifully done!

As for the reference photo...my understanding is that any images in the RIL are free to be used as one desires. I always PM the owner to let them know I've used one of their images as a matter of courtesy and give them a link to the thread so they can see what I've done. The disclaimer on the opening page of the Library states that photos should not be posted in the Library if the owner does not wish them to be used by others.

Good going with those new colors! Can't wait to get home and mess mine up!

Paula Ford
09-04-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks Mikki!!

Safe travels to you...loved (laughed and cried) your post in the "Live from Santa Fe" thread.

{{{{{{{{hugs to you and your hubby}}}}}}}}}}

Paula

Paula Ford
09-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Oh my goodness. Something has been nagging at me since I started this painting. I have felt so guilty when realizing this came off the internet so I wrote to the person and this is the response I received:

Dear Paula,

My husband Dan, just recently, passed away from bone marrow cancer. Only 3 weeks ago, after a long illness. I have acquired the copyrights to all of his photographs. I do not have a problem with your entering this picture in the fair competition. It is after all, your work of art, inspired by Danís photograph. I wish you well and hope that the picture wins a blue ribbon for you.

Patty

What more can I say,
Paula

Artistammy
09-04-2004, 03:50 PM
That's great!! Did you also ask her if you could sell it?

Kathryn Wilson
09-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Oh my goodness. Something has been nagging at me since I started this painting. I have felt so guilty when realizing this came off the internet so I wrote to the person and this is the response I received:

Dear Paula,

My husband Dan, just recently, passed away from bone marrow cancer. Only 3 weeks ago, after a long illness. I have acquired the copyrights to all of his photographs. I do not have a problem with your entering this picture in the fair competition. It is after all, your work of art, inspired by Danís photograph. I wish you well and hope that the picture wins a blue ribbon for you.

Patty

What more can I say,
Paula

Oh, my goodness - there is nothing more to say - that was very generous of her and hope that you do well at the Fair!

bnoonan
09-04-2004, 04:10 PM
It pays to jump through the hoops, doesn't it?

Well done!!!

Barb

prestonsega
09-04-2004, 06:52 PM
I am sure you honored Dan's memory in his widow's eyes. You were possibly an instrument of the universe in her time of need.. :angel:

Paula Ford
09-05-2004, 12:09 AM
I am sure you honored Dan's memory in his widow's eyes. You were possibly an instrument of the universe in her time of need.. :angel:

I hope so Preston. It was so sad to hear that this man had passed away, but I was so glad that I painted his photo so that his wife could know that he inspired a complete stranger in a distant part of the country even after he was gone.

I emailed her the painting and hope that she see's her husband in it. It will be dedicated to his memory at the fair or where ever I show it.

Paula

prestonsega
09-05-2004, 12:28 AM
It's the little unexpected things like this in life that reassure us that we are on the right track.......It truly was the end of all summers for Dan.