PDA

View Full Version : Pricing for illustrations

sygnin
09-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi

Does anyone know of a site that offers some rough guides for pricing different kinds of illustrations in the US market?

Thanks in advance (really tired, think I'm making sense...).

coyote
09-01-2004, 07:47 PM
I don't know about a website, but the Graphic Artist's Guild (GAG) publishes a book called Pricing and Ethical Guidelines. It has all you need to know, but tends to focus on the New York market, so pricing is a little on the high side for other areas.

Axl
09-02-2004, 12:06 AM
YOu might want to try and do a search of the threads on this site, to see if you cant come up with any threads abuot pricing different illustrations.

AFM159
09-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Yep, I agree with Coyote. The GAC is the best place to start.

Though there are some standards there is always a lot of room for negotiotation. Personally I always try and find out what the client's budget is before I give my price so that I can adjust my thinking and possibly the scope of the project.

I checked your site (great work! btw) and it looks like you've done a lot of Magazine illustration. I think for the most part Magazines will have a set budget for what they will pay for illustrations and usually won't break out of that unless it's for a special project.

Anyway thanks for posting. Please stay and visit often! The more the merrier!

sygnin
09-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I will try to find that... I don't want to order it from the US as I don't think I will be needing it all that often, but I will see if I can find it in a library or something here.

Yes, I do some magazine illustration here in Singapore. I get paid between $100 - $200 for each piece. It's usually not negotiated but most of the time, unless specifically stated, the client keeps copyright of the image once it is done. Advertising may be different but I have a dislike for advertising agencies so I havn't done enough work with them to say what the rates are like there.

TedDawson
09-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Here's a helpful pricing/estimate tutorial endorsed, for what it's worth, by the Graphic Artists Guild:

Pricing Estimate Tutorial (http://nwrain.net/%7emonlux/estimatetutorial.html)

AFM159
09-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Cool link. I'll check that out when I have more time.