PDA

View Full Version : Createx Underpainting WIP--Taos Overlook

Deborah Secor
09-01-2004, 08:06 PM
I bought some Createx Pure Pigments at the show, picked up a neat brush that I like, and here's what happened. Now, I have to tell you I'm no painter! I had a lot of fun splashing around the paint, thinking in terms of values a lot, and maybe about colors to some degree, finding the composition.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2004/23609-TaosDay1.jpg

And then I had some REAL fun staying loose with my pastels. I have some new colors that were great fun to inaugurate here!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2004/23609-TaosDay.jpg

I'm not really open to any specific C&C on this one yet, not because I don't care but because I need some time to mull without any other thoughts on what to do. However, I would really like a thumbs-up or thumbs-down reaction from you all. Should I continue in this vein or should I stick to the realism? (It won't go away--just thinking of trying this in the market, too.) Do you think the underpainting is an asset to the painting, or is a bad detraction (due to my inexperience--which is something I can learn!)

Thanks for you additions to my thoughts...

This is on Wallis (what else?), 12x18", and is from a photo taken on the day Jackie and her friend and I visited Taos.

Deborah

Khadres
09-01-2004, 08:09 PM
Looks wonderful to me, so far! AND looks like you're having lots of fun with it, as well! Definitely keep going!

Meldy
09-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Thumbs up. This is something I would like to try sometime. I like the way some of the bottom colors show thru all the way to the top. Great Job!

SweetBabyJ
09-01-2004, 08:19 PM
I like the top half, Deborah, but the bottom half is just kinda blah to me- like maybe you lost the underpainting's enthusiasm? Yummy clouds and mountains, though, and that mid-ground area is great.

Kathryn Wilson
09-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Thumbs up! Continue on with it and I like the underpainting.

Was this the white Wallis or the belguim mist?

What Createx pigments did you purchase - they come in a set, but didn't know if I should buy colors separately.

chatfieldstudios
09-01-2004, 08:31 PM
Thumbs up....I like the texture that the underpainting creates. Keep going!

Deborah Secor
09-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Thumbs up! Continue on with it and I like the underpainting.

Was this the white Wallis or the belguim mist?

What Createx pigments did you purchase - they come in a set, but didn't know if I should buy colors separately.

It was pure, bright, blindingly, almost offensively white... :wink2: I did a quickie charcoal gesture on it, a la Kitty, and then attacked with fervor. Only slightly terrifying--i looked forward to the pastel.

The pigment set I bought was called... um... looking for my receipt...can't find it! Five colors: primary red, quinacridone magenta, pthalo blue gs, ultramarine blue, hansa yellow medium.

Deborah

Dyin
09-01-2004, 09:43 PM
agree with SBJ at this point...like the top lots, so think it should be persued :)

Pinecone Conniff
09-01-2004, 09:56 PM
I love this loose look you've got going on here!! :cool:
Address the foreground & call it DONE!! :wave:
Annette

Kathryn Day
09-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Hi Deborah,
The colors really sing on this. Thumbs up here!

TSPoon
09-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Makes me want to rush out and get my own paints and start my own experiment - one painting with the undercoat and the same scene without.....umm.....where do I get these paints?
Terry

binkie
09-01-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm with you, Terry! Deb, it looks like yoou had a great time painting this. I particularly like the colors in the road. And those purples and oranges just pop!

gwen

Paula Ford
09-01-2004, 11:53 PM
WOW, the colors are fabulous!! Love the underpainting technique. Can't wait to do one myself.

Wonderful Deborah!

Paula

pjo
09-02-2004, 12:59 AM
I'm glad you were able to take time and have fun, and use your new supplies. Thumbs up!

prestonsega
09-02-2004, 01:16 AM
I'm loving it, and perhaps a bit jealous that you got new toys :D

meowmeow
09-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Both my thumbs are way up...and I think you have convinced me to buy the createx. Way to go Deborah...looks like you are having grand fun!

Sandy

Terry Wynn
09-02-2004, 11:20 AM
I think a definite thumbs up. Vibrant, full of life, even if you are unsure, this pushes the button!

Terry

jackiesimmonds
09-02-2004, 01:40 PM
Know you dont want a specific c&c, so here's a subjective comment........Love the top half. Wonderful colour and textures.

Now this is not so much c&c - more food for thought. Do you need the road? What does it add? Is it important to the scene in terms of shape or colour? Is it part of the abstract pattern of the piece? Does it add to the spatial quality of the piece?

Is colour the dominant theme here?

Or is it atmosphere?

Perhaps this is c&c - oh dear. Well you can ignore me if you want. I feel that your overall objective with this pic is a bit uncertain .... maybe because you were trying out a new technique. But if you want to see how the market might react, then I think, actually, technique is less important than a clear intention/objective for the subjectmatter.

And at the moment, my sense is that the top half of the pic, and the bottom half, dont quite fit together and dont seem to be giving out the same kind of message.

Conversation:
Did you ENJOY the underpainting process? Did you feel it enhanced the pastel process which followed? If you are unsure, perhaps you need to do a few more, to find your own way of doing an underpainting. What did you do before, without an underpainting - work directly onto white?

DGrau
09-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Thunbs up..keep experimenting
best wishes
David

bnoonan
09-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi there,

Well it's good of you to post but I think it's premature to ask me for an opinion. I'd like to see you do some more, have fun and then decide if it's a way you want to go. I'm always in favor of having fun...

Barb

(But I will say I love the rich colors as usual and I'm always a fan of your loose strokes).

Kitty Wallis
09-02-2004, 06:35 PM
I agree the painting shows a lot of promise in the upper half and I think you are onto something. The bottom half contains a big, dead man-made object that I don't know how to include in the colorful life of the natural landscape. I would avoid such a swath of road myself.

jackiesimmonds
09-03-2004, 04:48 AM
I would agree with Kitty in principle, were it not for this image, which I printed off some time ago, to remind me that a grey road doesn't have to be a grey road, it can be a coloured shape that echoes other coloured shapes in the pic.

Have a look:http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125936&stc=1

the original photo showed a very blah, grey road.

J