PDA

View Full Version : St Ives sunset painting

colours_man
09-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Hi all,
I have been worling on this lately. From a photo I took in St Ives (Cornwall) a few weeks ago. I was just after some C and C, not sure what needs to be done to it - if anything.
I just need comments from fresh eyes out there! :confused:
Thanks all,
Nick
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2004/43442-sunset_painting_copy.jpg

coherent
09-01-2004, 02:56 PM
beautiful colors - very tranquil... not quite sure what it is but the very bottom wave by the bird doesn't look quite right... almost like sand by the birds look higher than the water or something. Maybe someone else can point out what is is if anything. Thanks for sharing!
-marc

Artguy29
09-01-2004, 03:18 PM
This is beautiful, Nick! The sky colors are excellent, but placed oddly. It looks as if there are sharp sections of color in the sky. It should be blended more, like you did at the top of the sky. I realize this is where the light is coming from, so it should be bright, but it needs to be more like "one" color, so to speak. You can either use an acrylic medium with those same colors and tie them together or you can add a little bit of water to your brush with the colors and also tie them together. If you use water, use the slightest amount, just enough to thin it. Be careful not to work on it too much or you will ruin the beautiful colors you have made. Just blend out those sharp edges. As Marc was saying (about the small wave by the bird), your angle of that wave should be much more straight. The rest of your waves are on a slight angle so you should keep it at the angle of the rest (slightly leaning to the right). What you have now is leaning far too much to the right. Hope this helps,

Dave

sassybird
09-01-2004, 04:49 PM
The sky does not bother me in the least. We have sunsets like that all the time here in Idaho. I do agree about the sand and water. You did to do something about that transition, but I can't tell you what. This is one I would have to study on for awhile. I love the colors in the piece and the little shadows the birds cast. You really caught that well. All in all I think you have a good piece needing just a few tweaks here and there.

colours_man
09-01-2004, 05:23 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the encouragement. The transitions in the sky are pretty sharp on the photo, but I do want to experiment with a retarder as I like to blend my colours on the support if I can. I think it is transition to the dark cloudbank just above the horizon that is too sharp.
I will do my best to sort out the other wave problems, this was the area that I was least happy with, but will leave it a bit until I decide what to do.
Thanks again,
Nick