PDA

View Full Version : Honest opinions please - Galloway Castle

HRH Goldie
09-01-2004, 06:10 AM
Took this image from the reference library and had a go!
I painted it on a piece of mount board that was marked so couldn't be used.
The board was very smooth so presented with different problems than I usually have.
I am at that awkward stage now where I don't know what to do with it next.
Do you have any suggestions or advice to finish?? :)
Appreciative as always for any comments :D

(Chimney still needs work as does the trees I think?)

Christine

jbitzel
09-01-2004, 07:53 AM
Wow! I wouldnt mind seeing it stay the way it is. I love how the different directional lines bring your eyes to the castle that looks untouched by the wind and sea.

HRH Goldie
09-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Thank you James - I was trying to add a bit of drama to this as the sky on original ref image was grey and boring. :wink2:
Trouble is I don't know if the castle matches the sky in mood now.

Christine

Artguy29
09-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Excellent work, Christine! The composistion and colors are superb. I wouldn't touch anything, except maybe the trees. Fantasitic :clap: !

Dave

Lady Carol
09-01-2004, 10:06 AM
I thought it was finished :clap: :clap: :clap:

The water I think still needs some work. It seems very dark, although I haven't seen the reference. Would you post that?

It is very dramatic overall. I think this is one of your best, Christine (that I have seen :D ).

HRH Goldie
09-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Thank you Dave - I keep going back to fiddle with the trees but still don't sit right with the painting - you're right. I will have to fiddle some more. :evil:

Christine

HRH Goldie
09-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Hi Carol and thanks for having a look.
I am useless at cross referencing from the image library. I see some people have lines of address that you can just click on. I unfortunately don't know how to do that so I've put a copy of the image here. I'm off now to find out who's photo it was so I can thank them.
Hope this helps - hubby didn't like the darkness of it so I tried to lighten a bit. Didn't want to do it too much as I think the Irish sea is pretty much like the North Sea and that is it's extremely cold Brrrrrrrr :D Especially when the sun isn't out :wink2:

Christine

texasboy
09-01-2004, 12:31 PM
If I might add a little opinion here. All is very well represented and rendered. If anything, I might add a little more modelling/shading to the castle. Looks a little flat or a little like it is glowing. And maybe add a little more movement/wavelets to the water. I certainly don't want to tear down. Just push the contrasts a little bit. Hope that one day I can do as good a job when I try my first castle.

ExpressiveAngie
09-01-2004, 02:11 PM
I would love to see this in real life...could you bring it to me, lol. It jusmps off the screen Christine and I cant help but love the unusualness of it.

colours_man
09-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi Goldie,

Hi, I like your painting. The colours and clarity. The castle is very nicely done.
Well I am a big of a beginner but what struck be first was the difference between the colour scheme in the sky on the left and right hand sides; one side is a lovely blue the other more of a brown. I feel there should be more unity between the colour schemes.

Nick

sassybird
09-01-2004, 04:53 PM
Frame it and slap a price tag on the piece. It is ready to go:)

HRH Goldie
09-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Mike - thank you for your constructive comments - much appreciated :) .
I didn't want to overdo the stone work as it is supposed to be in the distance - maybe I should do a little more :wink2:

Angie - Good to hear from you - it's seems like a wee while now :D Hope you and hubby are well. Of course I'd be delighted to bring it over to show you - can you put a family of four up for a week or two lol?!

Nick - I know at first glance this painting must seem a bit ambiguous from one side to the other. I wanted the two sides to conflict - seemed appropriate - over a castle especially. One side bright the other stormy.
I was quite happy - relatively (lol) with the sky as the base colours used are the same ie cerulean blue and pthalo turquoise - just different dilutions. Of course I used for the first time burnt umber in the sky. Something I never would have thought of until a tip passed on via WC. I think it gives a whole new dimension to that of paynes grey.
I shall take another look and see if I can unite them more in the middle and I really appreciate your time to look and comment.

Sassybird - Thank you for the vote of confidence. I don't think it's quite finished yet but almost there I guess from peoples comments. I just wish I could push it the extra bit :D

Christine

hoski
09-01-2004, 06:05 PM
An honest opinion, fantastic, wish I could do something like this :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hoski

HRH Goldie
09-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Thank you so much Hoski - I stumbled my way to this point in the painting somewhat by luck rather than by any sort of skill. I think that's why I can't seem to put the finishing touches.
I shall just have to keep working on it lol.
It was very kind for you to pay me those compliments. :wave:

Christine

katz
09-01-2004, 09:41 PM
I agree, more shadows on the castle would be nice. Also, you could lighten up the distant trees and make them a cooler green to set them back into the distance.
Great job. I like it.
Katz

HRH Goldie
09-02-2004, 05:35 AM
Thanks Katz - I'll try that :)

Christine

Bertoni
09-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Christine:
It has a very finished look already! I like it a lot! All it might need in my eyes would be a bit (very tiny amount!) of definition and shadow in the castle. Maybe it's there already, and the photo doesn't show it! Good job!! :clap: :clap:

Punky
09-02-2004, 11:47 AM
I like the movement and expression in this painting. a good painting. The castle needs a little more definition. The part of the building to the right is difficult to read. Otherwise I really like it, the color and movement is exciting.

HRH Goldie
09-02-2004, 12:02 PM
Thank you Bertoni and Punky (sorry don't know your first name)

Bertoni - so kind of you to pass comment - You're right about the shadow I deliberated long and hard and because the castle appears to be backlit I wasn't sure what to do about the shadow. I tentatively put on going off to the right - but it is only a tiny one. I shall make this more prominent and also I don't know if the reflection is showing up very clearly in the water. I shall post an update shortly. Thank you again :D

Punky - You're spot on about the wall going off from the castle. It wasn't very clear in photo so I put in very little to this area. I will reassess when tackling the shadow issue and thank you for taking time to comment. :D

Christine

cjartist
09-02-2004, 12:36 PM
The one thing that I think it may need is a little more shadow on the castle. It seems a little flat to me. Shadows would ad some drama. Otherwise good job.

cjartist

gini/art
09-02-2004, 01:59 PM
beautiful! Gin

Charlie's Mum
09-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi C :wave: - just had a quick look-see but will hunt ref image and download this for closer look later (after WDE!!!)
First impression is - there's a lot of good painting - extremely competent I may say!
BUT, (of course!!!) the main light in the lovely sky is from behind the castle while the castle itself seems to be lit from the right - I think the lighting on the castle needs more drama to match sky and sea.
Still, I'd be quite pleased if this were mine! :D

HRH Goldie
09-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Thank you CJ - I think its a cert that I have to change the shadows! I think its going to be a challenge. :confused: lol! Thanks for the input.

Gin - Thank you :D !
M - I know what you mean. I painted the lightest areas to match photo as the castle seemed to be at an angle. The ref photo is part way down thread if that helps. :D
I don't know if it'll be tonight I look at this though as I am whacked - busy day and all. :wink2:
Thanks for taking time out to have a look. It looks like its exclusively the shadows fault - "pesky varmits!" In the words of Bugs Bunny! :D

Christine

Silent Jaguar
09-02-2004, 10:34 PM
I love the quick movements feel of your a should-be-tranquil painting. Good show! :clap:

HRH Goldie
09-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Thank you SJ for your comment.

I have took a quick photo of what I've been doing with it and where I'm up to. I kind of know where I'm going at the moment but it changes at every sitting. The castle has now morphed into a lavender misted hue :p and I've worked more on the water. Well everything has had a little bit of work really.
Still more to do but in case you were wondering here it is.

Cheers

Christine

gini/art
09-04-2004, 05:33 PM
The changes you have made have changed the atmousphere of the painting. You have done a great job. I actually love both of them. they are 2 totally different moods. Gin

mrs willow
09-04-2004, 05:57 PM
I agree with James and Sassybird!
I really like your composition and after seeing the reference photo I am even more impressed with the way you used directional movement to focus attention on the castle!Your painting is much more interesting and exciting than the reference (as it should be)!Colours are also great, especially in the sky!
The lastest adjustment to the castle seems to have lost the lovely light quality you had in the beginning.The castle (to me) now seems too dark.
Of course it could just be the photo!
Cheers Sandy

Artguy29
09-04-2004, 08:42 PM
You have made some excellent improvements. Well done :clap: !

Dave

Eileenjm
09-05-2004, 03:25 AM
:clap: Hi Christine, This is a beautiful painting but I must confess I like the first one, lovely work looking forward to seeing more.
Eileen :)

ExpressiveAngie
09-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Isnt it funny how you can change the whole mood of a painting - I think they are both really good - but I like the mood in the second seems to *go with * the castle better.

HRH Goldie
09-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Well I must first thank everyone for their input so far - I feel this is now a communal painting with all of the input lol! :D
I maybe should have gone with my own gut instinct instead of trying to accomodate everyones answers though because it's strange that now people prefer the first one. Of course that was but a distant memory :( and I wonder if perhaps it's the way the photo was taken. I shall rephotograph tomorrow and see if there is a difference.
I actually prefer number two now - I think the castle sits in the painting much better now as it looked like a misfit in the first post. (If you get my meaning).

This thread would be a pretty good example to everyone just stepping out in acrylics as it shows quite dramatically how easily a painting can be changed to a different mood entirely just by adjusting tone and shadow. There is a lesson to be learned here somewhere :wink2:

Gini - Thank you for your continued support and interest. Interesting that you should detect a mood change as mentioned above. I't would be good if you could take a look if I post another photo in different light conditions - see if you still think the same before I go in again with brush wielding :p :D

Sandy - Thank you for the compliment on the sky - If you only knew the trouble I have with skies - you'd realise how much this means to me. ;)

Dave - Thank you :)

Eileen - Not to far away from me I see! :D Nice to see a neighbour :wave: If you see this will you check out again when I repost another photo. This time I shall take it in daylight. The last one was inside with flash. I think this may have been the problem. Thank you for your input :)

Angie - Are you just saying this to make me feel better? lol!
Maybe you won't like so much when taken in daylight. I'll wait for you to see.
Yes I think you're right about the castle fitting in with the rest of painting more. I still have to work on water. I didn't want to fill it with the dark lines that appeared on the photo. Dilemma as I didn't want it to look like a caribbean sea either. Thanks for taking a look as I always think we're on the same wavelength. (There's a pun in there somewhere :D )

Christine

gini/art
09-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Absolutely Christine, just let me know where I can find it. :wave:

ExpressiveAngie
09-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Angie - Are you just saying this to make me feel better? lol!
Maybe you won't like so much when taken in daylight. I'll wait for you to see.
Yes I think you're right about the castle fitting in with the rest of painting more. I still have to work on water. I didn't want to fill it with the dark lines that appeared on the photo. Dilemma as I didn't want it to look like a caribbean sea either. Thanks for taking a look as I always think we're on the same wavelength. (There's a pun in there somewhere :D )

Christine

LOL, I sea, oops I mean see, the pun :p

Altho I have been guilty of saying something to make someone feel better i really dont think you would appreciate such kindness so no, I wasnt doing that :D

DeusExMachina
09-06-2004, 10:25 AM
After reading this thread, I also think the finished painting is prettier than the first pic at the start of the thread.
Somehow that bright castle made the sourroundings look more gloomy. Now it all belongs more together, becoming a unity. It adds to realism.
I think you're a wonderful painter and I hope to see lots more beauties like this one from you.

SilverLady
09-06-2004, 02:43 PM
I love this. You are so talented.

Silverlady

katz
09-06-2004, 03:24 PM
I love all your changes. It looks wonderful.
Much more atmospheric.
Gay

HRH Goldie
09-07-2004, 05:19 AM
I've been busy doing a piece for the All media Arts Event advertised on the home page so sorry for the delay in posting.
Here is a photo of where I'm up to taken in daylight. Also no flash used so hopefully it shows a truer version of the colours used. I plan to try and finish sea today - I have an idea I know what to do with it next - but that changes everytime I look at it :evil:

Gini- Thank you for sticking with me on this. :wave:

Angie - Just checking! :evil: :wink2: :wave:

D E M - I don't think anyone has ever called me "a wonderful painter" therefore I am truly flattered. In my hours of feeling hopeless I hope your remarks come to mind - Thank you so much :wave:

Silverlady - I think you are far more talented than I will ever be your grasp of all different subjects is remarkable as I realise we are both on a very steep learning curve. I thank you for your kind remarks and it certainly has given me a boost :wave:

Katz - Thank you for the support. I too think it was right to change it just didn't sit right as was and the water is looking a little more realistic now :wave:

I nearly ruined this last night as a massive spider ran into the middle of the painting. :eek: As I have probably the biggest aversion and fear of these things I emptied half a tin of fly killer on to it! :( It slowed it down for a while but I still ended up clubbing it with the spray can a few times. It was that big I swear you could hear it crunching Yuuuukkk! I hope the chemicals don't have an adverse effect on the paint after all of this. Fingers crossed.

Christine

SherylG
09-07-2004, 10:49 AM
I absolutely LOVE the sky!! Those colors of pink and blue are great! The trees and rocks and water are very good.

The only suggestion I'd make is to use a ruler and a bit more perspective in the castle and bricks. When I look at your painting, the main tower looks round and the lines of brick are slanting down - they shold be horizontal. I think it looks round because the top horizontal outline of the tower is curved - also shading will help.

Good composition!

Its a beautiful painting!

HRH Goldie
09-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Composition was easy Sheryl - I just copied it from the ref image :D

I hate to dissapoint but there is no pink in the sky whatsoever - just shades of blue a tad cad yellow titanium white and there is an overglaze on the right of paynes grey. ;)

I think the main reason for the bricks slanting down as I took a lopsided photo balanced on the sofa in the conervatory lol! The top right of tower appears to be slightly down to the right on the horizontal bar but that isn't finished so it won't be a problem. I didn't paint in all of the bricks - lifes too short I was hopefully just giving a representation of them. I will check them though to make sure all is as it should be.

Thank you for taking time to analyse and comment it always makes me go and have another look to see if I have missed a glaringly obvious mistake. This is all to easy when working any length of time on a piece. :clap:

Christine

Just Crystal
09-07-2004, 02:11 PM
This is very nice. Sure would be neat to be there, huh? One tiny little nitpick, not that I am even remotely qualified to judge, is the water. It is very beautiful and it looks great, don't get me wrong. I wonder however, if there wouldn't be the tiniest bit more ripple coming toward the shore, I mean like the little ones. Oh my gosh, I am probably sounding like an idiot so I will shut up now. It is a lovely painting!!!!!! :)

HRH Goldie
10-12-2004, 09:55 PM
I finally picked this back up as it was time it was removed from the 'naughty corner'. Actually that pile is getting awfully big so I had to reduce it some how lol!
Done some more corrections and I think that will do it on the water - maybe?

Only snag - was going to stick it in a frame when I noticed a tiny dried on cerulean blue paint spot on the grey cloud to the right. Noticeable in real life. Is there anyway I can get this off or will I have to redo all grey cloud?

Thanks for looking.

Lady Carol
10-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Can you just dab a bit of colour over it. Not so that it is solid paint but a glaze to cut down the cerulean blue so that it is not noticible. I have done this in the past for a commission and you really don't notice the mistake.

Incidentally, the final product was worth the wait.

Youssef
10-17-2004, 12:30 AM
Pesonally I prefer your first picture, it was bright an clean.
The sky and clouds my be they must be more worked.
Best regards

jonesbf
10-17-2004, 01:35 AM
It looks excellent. Time to start the next one.

HRH Goldie
10-17-2004, 05:44 AM
Carol - I tried to dab a little paint over but the it was a complex colour that made up the final layer of sky wash to the right. It was more like a taupe colour although when viewed on the painting it appeared overall grey. Needless to say it stuck out like a sore thumb.
Bit the bullet, took a deep breath and went over grey/taupe again, which knocked the whites on left out of synq. :mad:
This sky has been and is being very complicated to paint - you wouldn't think it would you? Of course trust me to try and do something different with the sky and try and recreate the movement and the lights and darks you sometimes see all in one sky. I will have to try and sort out once and for all! Then I will grab a frame and get this one put to bed once and for all.

Cherouq - Thank you for your honesty - the sky issue continues......

JBF - :mad: If only ..........lol! It continues due to getting paint dribbles on and having to repaint. Sky is morphing again. Thank you for commenting :wave:

Christine

Artguy29
10-17-2004, 07:23 PM
Christine,

You have come a long way with this one and have done an excellent job. What stands out at me, though, is that the water ripples seem to take a dramtic stop. I think it would look more natural if you had them slowly fade out into the distance rather than having them stop at one point. Try and make the illusion that there is no specific point at which they stop, yet they actually do.

Dave

busy91
10-18-2004, 11:40 AM
I like it and if you didn't point out the chiminey I wouldn't have noticed. I really love the composition and colors.

HRH Goldie
10-18-2004, 02:45 PM
Thank you for looking and commenting Dave, I think this painting has so many points that people could discuss it could be a learning aid lol!
I know exactly what you mean about the waves but I wasn't sure where they could go if you see what I mean :) As this is a bay type thing then they would come to a stop beside the land and I imagined that the shape would be a 'C'. I will have to go back and look at the pic IRL and see if I can see what you are suggesting I do. If not I may be back in touch to see if I can nail this once and for all lol! :wave:

Busy - Liz isn't it? It seems ages ago when I argued with the chimney pot lol! Thank you for the compliments. I just hope I can sort the sky problem out.
I so want to finish this now. :wave:

Any other ideas or things that need to be pointed out please feel free to do so. This has turned into the acrylic forums WIP I think and its cool to hear your interpretations/suggestions.
:clap: for everyone that's participated so far. :wave:

Christine

nes7827
10-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi Christine - GREAT painting! :clap: I truly can't decide between the very first version, and the last. The diverging directions of the water and sky are really effective, and make the castle stand out. I hope you try to take as many of your own reference photos as possible (sometimes it isn't of course). Selecting your own shot, and composing it yourself is the first crucial step in planning - I actually consider it part of painting the picture. I've also found that if I wasn't actually at the place I'm painting, I feel as though I'm faking it a bit. Do you ever get that feeling? All of my own thoughts, take them as no more - and certainly many incredible pictures are painted from outside sources, as you have proven. - Nick

HRH Goldie
10-19-2004, 09:29 PM
Thank you Nick - I think? LOL! :evil:
Not quite sure what you mean by the pic reference? I pulled this one out of WC's image reference library. I've not been to Galloway castle although it looks a lovely place and I don't think it is so very far away from me. I'll have to get autoroute out and have a look.
I am currently building or trying to my own bank of ref photos. Not easy when the computer keeps eating them! :confused: It's always before I get a chance to write them to CD too.
Would love to paint plein air down by the sea. Here it is so powerful and fills you with such feeling but I am such a slow painter that one the tide would come in probably while I was still on the drawing stage and wash me away and secondly I'd end up with frostbite lol!
When I started this I wanted to create an atmospheric sky and it morphed into what I would call an ambiguous one. Of course being where we are in the world we often see this happen sun at one side of our vision and fluffy clouds, then black foreboding clouds hanging heavy in the air. This was the result. Or it was until I went in to correct a paintsplatter and now have had to change the whole sky yet again! Oh no I hear everyone groan.
That's not all - didn't bother to mask the castle so the washes have overshot onto the roof. Couldn't avoid that as I needed to keep the clouds going in the same direction as they were. I wanted both sides to point down on the Castle to focus the eye.
I think if this ever gets to the stage where I can rest easy with it then varnish will be put on so as not to damage further. I am so clumsy! :evil:
BTW How long did some of these old masters take with some of their scenes?
I seem to remember some of them going back and reworking over years and years! I wonder how long it will take me?
I'll try and post an update tomorrow so I can photograph in daylight and I'll try and get this one in focus. :wave:
PS Nick - Don't think anyone has ever said a painting of mine was great! coming from you - I'm totally flattered. :D

Christine

colours_man
10-20-2004, 04:02 AM
I like to only paint from pictures I have taken myself - then I have a memory of the mood of the place, whether it was warm or freezing etc.

I have so many photos anyway, that I have no need to look anywhere else.
:cat:

Nick

HRH Goldie
10-20-2004, 04:20 AM
Nick - Wales The problem I have at the moment is that my tutor totally disagrees with painting from photos. He said it is too easy an option. After trying to paint the dahlia from real life I can see where he is coming from. A photo puts it into 2 dimensional piece for you straight away so that is half the battle won.
Of course this has caused me a huge headache - winter fast approaching and certainly not the weather for sitting on rocks watching waves or in a field lol! I guess it will have to be still life for the next few months as my supply of models is shall we say sadly lacking! :wink2:
Personally I love painting from photos - I can still slap my own interpretation on them as I hope this painting reflects.

Christine

colours_man
10-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Christine,
Yes I agree that painting from a photo does do half the work for you, and I do feel like I am slightly 'cheating' by paining from them. However I go to classes where the tutors do not seem to mind. Seems like your teacher is a bit of a purist. Painting outside is hard for all sorts of reasons, rain, wind, discomfort and constanly changing light.
I do a life class as well so get plenty of practice at drawing from reality, so I excuse myself that way.

Nick

HRH Goldie
10-20-2004, 05:35 AM
Nick - oh don't get me started on life painting lol! Have been to first classes and it was the most nerve wrecking thing I've ever done in my life. I have found I just can't draw, paint or anything in a class full of people, I feel so intimidated. When the subject you're painting doesn't inspire or you are at the worst angle in the class it is a disaster waiting to happen.
My portraiture skills are practically non existent which doesn't exactly help.
Kudos to you if you can cope with all these anti-painting vibes. :clap: :wave:
I don't quite know how to get over my inhibitions for want of a better word. Oh and just to clarify - its not that I am embarrassed in the slightest of naked people. Being a nurse took care of that one lol!

Christine

colours_man
10-20-2004, 06:13 AM
Christine,
Well I found life classes nerve racking at first - but I have just got used to them. I agree about portraiture though, that is very difficult. And I did find the nakedness embarassing to start with, now I handly seem to notice - I must be getting old - :)

If you look at my website there are a lot of my lifeclass results there.

Donald_Smith
10-20-2004, 11:01 AM
I sat and looked at your painting for some time. I've only been painting for 3 years, but I've spent more time reading books about composition, and how to create depth than I have painting. I think you hit on the answer to your question in one of your early replies. Since you are after a dramatic sky, the castle should have dramatic lighting as well. Even the reference photo has more contrast than the painting of the castle does. You need to deepen the shadows on the castle 1 or 2 shades darker. I haven't read through all the posts, 4 pages of them, so maybe you have already fixed it and posted it.

Just my thoughts, for what they are worth, maybe 2 cents... :D

I like the sky and waves, and agree with a previous post about they way the waves lead the eye to the castle. I know about tools like that, but I always seem to forget them when I'm painting... :confused:

D

Okay, I just looked at your lastest fixes. Your castle is looking much better, a little clost to the center of the canvas for my tastes but that is a nit pick. The only other thing would be balance. You have a lot of open sea on the left, and rocks, land, and castle on the right. You could add the branches from a tree off to the left, or a fishing boat with the bow pointing towards the castle, a giant whale :evil: , something to balance out the painting a little. While I like the sky, again, you have MASS on the right, and fluff on the left. Your storm clouds are on the right, they look dark and heavy compared to the light soft clouds on the left. If you put it on a balance point, it will tip to the right. I can see this with the dark clouds coming in off the ocean, with a streak of lightening, while the soft clouds are on the right, but it would require you to grab a new canvas and start over.

One last thing, on the left side of the castle, I see one wall that to me looks like it should be as dark as the rest of the shadows, yet it is the same shade as the light side. I'm probably not seeing it correctly, tell me if I'm wrong.

HOpe this helps,
Don

HRH Goldie
10-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Donald - where do I start with this one! Well I asked for honest opinions and I suppose you gave it! It perhaps would have helped to have first read through all of the posts before commenting but never mind you decided to in the end :p
To suggest to an artist that they start a new canvas I am afraid is a little shall we say insensitive? This is as described a work in progress and have welcomed constructive criticism all the way through. however you criticised before looking at the updates so it negates your remarks somewhat.
I took the liberty of reading your other posts in particular the threads you have started. The second one was asking how to ascertain tone in a painting and further on you ask for help on judging shade. The very second reply on your post on tone gives you the answer to the questions you seek with regard to my painting and why I have chosen to paint this piece in this way.
I think it is pretty clear that I have not gone for photo realism nor even try to copy shade or tone. This is my painting and it was such a lovely castle that I felt it should be the centre of attention - hence the sky was born in that way.
I shan't bore you with the whys and wherefores of the meaning behind this. The gentleman who replied on your very own thread answered very eloquently when he described that you don't do something to the painting because it is like that in the ref image. You blend and shade so it works with your painting and it fits in to the overall effect.
As for composition and the inclusion of a tree on the left side - I don't want a tree growing out of the sea. :evil: Nor do I think a whale would be appropriate in what for me has been a serious piece of work that has taken several months and a lot of my time.
My husband is a professional photographer and he looked at the ref image before I started painting and thought the composition worked. I think you will find that it fits well within the guidelines of composition and that there are several different options when composing a painting. If we all stuck something at the left and right, something in the middleground and something at the back it would be a very boring place as far as art is concerned.
It is with respect that I have read and digested your comments but I can't help feeling you are unclear what I am trying to achieve here so I shall leave it at that. Thank you for commenting and taking time to write, even though it is quite clear that you don't like it - maybe you should try it and paint the lightening coming in from the sea - it would be a good experience for you I think. :wave:

Christine

HRH Goldie
10-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Donald - where do I start with this one! Well I asked for honest opinions and I suppose you gave it! It perhaps would have helped to have first read through all of the posts before commenting but never mind you decided to in the end :p
To suggest to an artist that they start a new canvas I am afraid is a little shall we say insensitive? This is as described a work in progress and have welcomed constructive criticism all the way through. however you criticised before looking at the updates so it negates your remarks somewhat.
I took the liberty of reading your other posts in particular the threads you have started. The second one was asking how to ascertain tone in a painting and further on you ask for help on judging shade. The very second reply on your post on tone gives you the answer to the questions you seek with regard to my painting and why I have chosen to paint this piece in this way.
I think it is pretty clear that I have not gone for photo realism nor even try to copy shade or tone. This is my painting and it was such a lovely castle that I felt it should be the centre of attention - hence the sky was born in that way.
I shan't bore you with the whys and wherefores of the meaning behind this. The gentleman who replied on your very own thread answered very eloquently when he described that you don't do something to the painting because it is like that in the ref image. You blend and shade so it works with your painting and it fits in to the overall effect.
As for composition and the inclusion of a tree on the left side - I don't want a tree growing out of the sea. :evil: Nor do I think a whale would be appropriate in what for me has been a serious piece of work that has taken several months and a lot of my time.
My husband is a professional photographer and he looked at the ref image before I started painting and thought the composition worked. I think you will find that it fits well within the guidelines of composition and that there are several different options when composing a painting. If we all stuck something at the left and right, something in the middleground and something at the back it would be a very boring place as far as art is concerned.
It is with respect that I have read and digested your comments but I can't help feeling you are unclear what I am trying to achieve here so I shall leave it at that. Thank you for commenting and taking time to write, even though it is quite clear that you don't like it - maybe you should try it and paint the lightening coming in from the sea - it would be a good experience for you I think. :wave:

Christine

Donald_Smith
10-21-2004, 12:09 AM
Christine,

Please for give me. I don't always express myself very well, especially when I'm in a hurry as I was when I made the previous post.

First, I do like your painting.
Second, when I said you would need a new canvas, I was thinking of how I would approach it if it were me. IF I were going to redo the sky completely, it would be a lot of work. I know I wouldn't want to take a painting that was as far along as yours is, and all of a sudden redo the sky. I would maybe paint the subject again, but with a different sky. I was NOT meaning that you should throw out your painting and get a new canvas and start all over.
Third, I agree, painting that ref. photo with the lightening and dark clouds would be a good exercize for me.
Fourth, I was gesting about the whale, I thought that was pretty obvious. I agree that a tree coming out of the ocean would look terrible. Again, I didn't express myself very well, sorry. I couldn't remember where the shore line ran, but I was thinking it was more to the left corner, so a tree could come up there, or the shore could be moved, obviously that isn't what you want, so that leads to my fifth and last reply.
Last, YOU asked for opinions, thoughts and suggestions. It is your painting and you can take and use or not use as many suggestions as you desire. In the end, you must please yourself. I too have been wrankled (is that a word?) by posters C&C my paintings. The one thing I've learned most from WC is, in the end, it is MY opinion of MY painting that I care about most, and I think everyone should be that way. If someone posts a C&C, read it. If you agree, then great, if you think they are way out in left field or that isn't the direction you want to go with your painting, then simply don't follow their advice. I paint to please me, it is my hobby, and I am trying to improve. So, I do appreciate C&Cs, some I agree with, others I don't. In the end, I may or may not follow their advice.

Finally, thank you for looking up some of my threads and for your comments. I'm sorry for rushing and not making myself clear earlier. I've seen your work over the last year, and read many of your comments. You are a good artist, keep up the good work. Feel free to take anything I write with a grain of salt. You wont hurt my feelings if you disagree.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended, it was not my intention.
Don

HRH Goldie
10-21-2004, 03:32 AM
Donald - Good of you to come back with a reply - I do appreciate it when a discussion is entered into. :clap:
I did say straight away in my reply that I had asked for honest opinions so I addressed that one.
I gathered you were joking about the whale at least I hoped you were just joking (sometimes you never can tell) :rolleyes: . However in the same sentence was the suggestion of the tree off to the left and I know that you thought at the time that was good advice. I was merely pointing out why this would not be so.
We all are guilty of posting comments that on reflection could have been worded differently or indeed leaving out particular sections. I include myself in this also.
I appreciate the fact that you have come back and we can sort it out ;)
I couldn't understand why you posted on advice on alterations on the first post when there were so many changes had been made already.
In actual fact I had been working on this and had just put my brushes down to have a cuppa and check post when I saw yours.
To keep you up to date the sky has been reworked - about 1 hour ago in fact. Not because I didn't like it but because of a mark on the painting that I couldn't remove. It now doesn't look like the last update unfortunately!
I think I have lost some of the drama that I was trying to achieve and also when I started I didn't mask the castle. As a result I did mask but a little too late lol so now have to repaint some of the roof. So the saga continues. ;)
I too am learning or trying too - it isn't always easy is it? I think all painters at any level always are learning, even if they don't admit it. To close our minds to new challenges and ideas and information would be quite disasterous. Up until this point in my life any painting I've done has been largely self taught. In the quietness of my own home where mistakes are made and never seen. It was my decision to post this on WC therefore when things go awry I think that it should be posted too, it shows hopefully the thinking process behind it if nothing else. It might just give someone else the courage to post their work or realise we all make mistakes or the best thing would be that we all learn something from it. I certainly have with this one as there have been many opinions and much information to glean from this thread.
Personally I wouldn't call myself a "good artist" as you called me but thank you for the compliment. To be a good artist in my eyes and what I would dearly love to be able to do is to pick up any medium and look at any subject and be able to to create an account of it in my way and that I end up with a pleasing image at the end of it.
Passion for art in all forms is what gives me my drive, but as you know passion can cause negatives too. Perhaps in the heat of the moment I rose to your bait a little more than I would normally do lol? Earlier on in the evening my husband actually said that he didn't know why I had not done a 'normal' sky so even he didn't get where I was coming from.
Unfortunatley I wont be able to work on this today as I have college work to do but I hope you stick around to see the next instalment. I would have dearly loved to have drawn a line under this one if it weren't for that blasted paint splatter! I shall not let it beat me and this is why I described it as my nemesis. :D
Thank you for taking time out for writing such a lengthy response and I apologise to you Donald if we have started off by misunderstanding each other in any way. :wave:
Christine

Donald_Smith
10-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Christine,

Thank you for your kind reply. I again appologize for posting without looking at all the progress you had made. Time was short. I've learned to just keep my thoughts to myself until I've had a chance to read the complete thread.

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

I think every artist has their own ideas of what an "artist" is. I don't aspire to be able to pick up any medium as you do and create something that pleases, just being good at one will make me happy. I play with acrylics mostly, and oils a little, and occasionally watercolor. I like to fold a sheet of 9x12 in forths and then paint the front in Watercolor and give them away for birthdays and special occasions. Most people like them, but I dislike watercolor because I have to think backwards. Probably thinking, is good for my brain as it is foggy most days. :D

I too like dramatic skies, and lighting. I try to take a picture or paint plein arie and see if I can get the dramatic effect I envision in my mind, but most times, it comes out boring. It is something to work towards.

I'm glad there are no hard feelings, I always prefer to disagree agreeably. I didn't understand what you were trying to accomplish, and I should have waited until I had finished reading the complete thread to post.

Have a nice day, and best wishes on your painting,
Don

nes7827
10-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Offering opinions and critique is a tricky business! Not so hard to climb inside a painting, and rearrange the furniture to you own liking, but very difficult to get inside the artist's head.
I like the composition of the picture for the very things Don mentioned changing, but that might just be my natural tendency to buck artistic convention. This is where an important aspect of the artist's motives come into play. Christine, Don, and I all bring our own artistic sensibilities to the table (sorry, I hate that cliche), but Christine is the one doing the work, and only she knows what's in her mind. Which brings up another fascinating subject: if people could only see what we really have in our mind's eye!

This thread is a great example of the evolution of a painting. Where will Christine take it, and us, next?
- Nick

Donald_Smith
10-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Nick,

As long as we are bringing up interesting questions, I once had a friend ask me, "How do you know that everyone sees the same color? Look at the sky, I might see it as blue, while you might see it as green, but you've been taught that what is really green is blue, so you call it blue."

This and other questions like "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?", the world may never know.... :evil:

Don

Charlie's Mum
10-21-2004, 04:54 PM
Offering opinions and critique is a tricky business! Not so hard to climb inside a painting, and rearrange the furniture to you own liking, but very difficult to get inside the artist's head......Nick (Nes....)

This is so very true and one of the reasons I don't like to criticise anyone's WIP unless they specifically ask for help.
We cannot know where a person's mind is taking them with a painting and it's irritating to have someone suggest something when you, the artist, know that's intended anyway.
It's extremely brave of anyone doing a WIP in public, so to speak, and I take my hat off to Christine and others who set themselves up like this!!!!!!!
....and before anyone jumps in, I know she asked for honest oppinions!!!! :D

HRH Goldie
10-22-2004, 04:45 AM
Donald - So glad we got there in the end and honestly I don't mind you questioning me over things I'm doing. Sometimes it makes me question myself on my motives and reasonings which are sometimes somewhere parallel to this universe lol. :D

Maureen - My mentor and friend! Thank you for your reassuance as I am on the verge of putting this one in the naughty corner with the dunces hat on!
I repainted sky (oh nooooooooo) yet again and have dispensed with the dark clouds but now regret it. Feel the burnt umber and quinocridone magenta coming out as we speak! :evil: I masked out the castle but when fluid was removed it lifted the edges of the sky where it met.
Therefore this needs more work so the thread continues........lol!

Nick - Thank you for dropping in and commenting its greatly appreciated especially from such an accomplished artist as yourself. I was surprised you liked this as I thought it lay too much in the conventional camp for your tastes. LOL! You are a man of many guises. :wink2:

I am starting to worry however that you are all talking about the inner workings of my mind! :evil: Are you all trying to tell me something lol! :p

Hasta Luego

Christine

nes7827
10-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Where is this going next???

HRH Goldie
10-25-2004, 03:36 PM
Hi Nick, I've been busy doing homework, housework and the WDE go have a look and see what you think! I personally think I've spoilt it it's called "big bird on vacation!"
Are you cracking the whip? Lol.
I have actually done some to this but spoilt the colour of the sky totally. If I want the dark ones back I'll have to repaint. I went over roof top too (oops) so that has to be repainted - that's why I laid it aside in the naughty corner until I could forgive it. :evil:
Have you started a new project yet and if so when do we get to see? If you're pushing me then I will have to push you right back :wink2: .
Maybe I will visit the naughty corner again in the next day or two. :D :wave:

Christine

Donald_Smith
10-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Well Nick,

If you want my thoughts, I would first have to be able to read Christine's mind. I thought about becoming a psychic, but I just couldn't see any future in it. Besides, she is across the big pond, and my abilities just don't reach that far. :D

Don

HRH Goldie
10-25-2004, 05:03 PM
Don You and Nick will just have to keep guessing then if the psychic skills aren't up to scratch! :evil: :wink2:

Christine

jerry lucey
10-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Great work as is...now, if you would like, set it aside for a short time...when you come back you will have a different view, then if anything bothers you - it might be worth changing, might be. But with care, as at this point a single change can upset the balance.

It is your decision what a "short time" means. The purpose is to clear the vision. Start another work during this waiting period and your vision of this work clears in a hurry....have a good one...jerry

HRH Goldie
10-25-2004, 07:56 PM
Thank you Jerry for dropping in and bothering to comment - it's much appreciated. Yes this is my philosophy. That is why my unfinished pieces (and there are many lol) go in my so-called naughty corner. I see things a lot clearer when the urge takes me to go and have another look. :D

Actually, the urge may be coming over me once again lol as I have finished the heron painting I've been working on over the weekend. :wave:

Christine

jerry lucey
10-26-2004, 02:05 PM
I recently visited my daughter in the USA and while having dinner in her home, admired a painting on her wall and also pointed out a few little changes that I thought the artist had missed. Turned out the work was mine painted about 30 years ago. Had the urge to take the work down and make corrections......no way....jerry

HRH Goldie
10-26-2004, 02:48 PM
Lol! Jerry that story brought a genuine smile to my face! Question is though did you like the painting overall?

Christine

jerry lucey
10-26-2004, 03:06 PM
The few minor negative comments and then I said so many nice things about the artist and his work, that when the truth came out - I wanted to hide under the table. The grand-daughters thought it was all very funny. I guess it was, but I still wanted to hide. ....jerry

HRH Goldie
10-26-2004, 03:35 PM
Ha Roflol! It would have been much more embarrassing though if you had slated the artist and said terrible things about it wouldn't it?! :clap: :clap: :wave:

Christine

PS I love these little artist anecdotes any more?

jerry lucey
10-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Yes, I guess I said the right things. BTW next morning I looked at all the paintings on the walls and found 3 more that were mine, at least my signature was on the canvas. Got me to thinking, when an artist gets up in years a gallery will often do a retrospect by gathering together all the works they can locate. Does the artist attend the opening and wonder if the gallery made a mistake - did I really paint that? Perhaps he or she would like to hide under the table....a thought......jerry

HRH Goldie
10-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Hi Jerry, I enjoyed your tales and ponderings - of course never having had a full exhibition to myself I wouldn't know what it felt like but I think it must be just the best feeling in the world :) At the moment I can remember painting everything but those who have been painting for the last couple of decades would have a problem I reckon lol!

Anyway between you blokes, you've got me feeling guilty about not posting where this painting is at so here we are......
I ended up with splatters on it - lord knows where the paint came from so ended up having to go over sea, sky, castle, trees well practically everything. Decided to add Q magenta to the sky to see what that looked like. I thought well it's been every other colour lol so why not and this new tube was talking to me!
As for the rest and yes I have altered the sea just a tiny bit - well you can tell me..... I shall wait.... here..... and see....... :D

Christine

damar
10-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Hi HRH Goldie
I like to look at WIP pics from my own graphics viewer; the posted pic here does not do justice to the luminous sky to the left!
The ground at the foot of the castle looks very cool! I am seeing more color variation in the stone work too. Looks great! Are you calling it finished? LOL I bet you have as much time in this one as I do that bowl of fruit! :D :D

HRH Goldie
10-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Hi Damar, Your right about the photo as it was taken with a flash as it was dark by the time I looked up!
You typed luminous in bolo and underlined? I'm more than a little curious at that. Dose this mean that it looks really bad? Too bright? Too in your face?
I wonder whether or not its because it was taken with a flash as I headed straight for the easel to see if it was really dazzling and it doesn't appear so in the light of my daylight bulb. Maybe it's because I had the room lights on and the daylight bulb was clipped to the upper left of the board and switched on too?
Once I uploaded onto here I immediately saw areas of the sky that irritated me intensley and doesn't look right at all. Boy I wish I could turn the clock back to a couple of skies ago lol!
I darkened down the left side of the castle as it seemed to gnaw at a couple of people being lighter.
My hubby prefers the sea like this but I don't - I liked that better before too.
I'm not calling it done as there are more and more areas leaping out that just say badly painted to me! This is turning into a veritable soap opera I know. :evil:
When compared to your fruit bowl you were like a speed demon in comparison I think as I started this well over a month ago now - I think! It seems to have been around a lot longer than that.
I am thinking of organising a bus trip up to the castle in the summer so we can all see what it really looks like and spot the anomalies in this painting lol.
I start each session with looking at the reference photo then use it for things like getting the castle as near as dammit to it - with a little artistic licence that is :wink2: Then for the sky and sea which were quite dull (apology to photographer) it's a case of trying new things in order to get a dynamic painting.
You look in your work to be heading down the realism route? I know my limitation and although I hugely admire realists I doubt I would ever be able to do paintings such as that one you've just finished - kudos to you.
Have you seen any work by the current Spanish artist Mulio? I presume some of his work will be on the internet somewhere. His work is commanding very high prices and would be of interest to you as he mainly paints fruit but always with a glass of water beside it. Sounds boring - on the contrary if I were to purchase (and if I could afford it) his would be the work I bought. It is stunning. The way he paints glass and water is masterful and the fruit some of it you could just pick out of the canvas and eat. I shall go and see if I can find a ref. If not I have a promotional brochure of his so I can get his full name.
Hope this is of interest to you or I will have gotten typers cramp for nothing lol!
Anyway if you're still reading this monologue thanks very much for the comments and stay tuned for the next update and I shall post a daylight version tomorrow. :wave:

damar
10-28-2004, 12:01 AM
:wave: Hi HRH Golide,
Here ya go! :)
Hi Damar, Your right about the photo as it was taken with a flash as it was dark by the time I looked up!
You typed luminous in bolo and underlined? I'm more than a little curious at that. Dose this mean that it looks really bad? Too bright? Too in your face?

No! it's NOT "too" anything...it sparkles and the pic in the post didn' show it!

I wonder whether or not its because it was taken with a flash as I headed straight for the easel to see if it was really dazzling and it doesn't appear so in the light of my daylight bulb. Maybe it's because I had the room lights on and the daylight bulb was clipped to the upper left of the board and switched on too?
Try taking the pic with bright, indirect, room light only and turn off the flash if you can. Then use your graphics program to either "auto-correct" or using brightness/hue/contrast/saturation options. This is how I do mine (auto-correct); they seem to come out glare free.
Once I uploaded onto here I immediately saw areas of the sky that irritated me intensley and doesn't look right at all. Boy I wish I could turn the clock back to a couple of skies ago lol!
I used to not ever consider re-working a large area and would just chalk one up to "experience" or what you call your "naughty-corner"! (my NC is full!).
I chose to re-work parts of mine because I didn't like it and I think being able to "fix" a problem is a skill worth having, just in case I ever have a painting with a HUGE investment of time and something that absolutly has to be fixed. (I try not to ever think of the word "commission"!)
I darkened down the left side of the castle as it seemed to gnaw at a couple of people being lighter.
My hubby prefers the sea like this but I don't - I liked that better before too.
I'm not calling it done as there are more and more areas leaping out that just say badly painted to me! This is turning into a veritable soap opera I know. :evil:
I think you did quite well with the castle details considering that in the original photo it was taken at such a distance (which was the only thing that the original photo had going against it)
See the darks you have in the ground over towards the right? I would suggest a few touches of that same dark in the ground at the base of the main part of the castle.
If you are being irked by some area's of the canvas, keep it covered when you're not working on it. That way, you get a fresh look when you return to paint.
When compared to your fruit bowl you were like a speed demon in comparison I think as I started this well over a month ago now - I think! It seems to have been around a lot longer than that.
Almost 2 weeks on the bowl of fruit which makes me chuckle because it was supposed to be a lesson in recording what I see, quickly and loosely (because I work dibby-dabby-miniscular-tight-technical and tactical--Arrrrrg!).
This was my first attempt at fruit (aside from a pear I painted in oils about 10 years ago)
I am thinking of organising a bus trip up to the castle in the summer so we can all see what it really looks like and spot the anomalies in this painting lol.
GREAT Idea and you can shoot some close-ups. A boat would get ya even closer!
I start each session with looking at the reference photo then use it for things like getting the castle as near as dammit to it - with a little artistic licence that is :wink2: Then for the sky and sea which were quite dull (apology to photographer) it's a case of trying new things in order to get a dynamic painting.
Last year I did a Boat's From Around The World Project and had to deal with a flat, muddy river and took it upon myself to blue it up a little. That touch of artistic license really threw me off. I felt I had nothing for reference for the water! I'll send a link to it later.
You look in your work to be heading down the realism route? I know my limitation and although I hugely admire realists I doubt I would ever be able to do paintings such as that one you've just finished - kudos to you.
Realism? Me? Oh--heavens no! That's what camera's are for! Oh dern--did I really say that here? Oh man, I may have to put on my flame proof suit! LOL!
It was not my intention for this bowl of fruit to become so cold and precise looking. Just before I started it, I did one "After Cezanne" and one "After Matisee" to try and get me to loosen up with the brush---ha. BIG ha!
Have you seen any work by the current Spanish artist Mulio? I presume some of his work will be on the internet somewhere. His work is commanding very high prices and would be of interest to you as he mainly paints fruit but always with a glass of water beside it. Sounds boring - on the contrary if I were to purchase (and if I could afford it) his would be the work I bought. It is stunning. The way he paints glass and water is masterful and the fruit some of it you could just pick out of the canvas and eat. I shall go and see if I can find a ref. If not I have a promotional brochure of his so I can get his full name.
I'll run a google search and check him out. No, I'm not headed down the realism road. I love and appreciate those works that are so expertly rendered and I marvel at the skill and patience of the artist, but for me personally (and I could change a year from now), can be easily bored by an abundance of photo-realism in paint. (someone has a voo-doo doll of me--I felt it! LOL) :evil:
Hope this is of interest to you or I will have gotten typers cramp for nothing lol!
Anyway if you're still reading this monologue thanks very much for the comments and stay tuned for the next update and I shall post a daylight version tomorrow. :wave:
I could probably ramble on here for a few more paragraphs, but will spare you!
I admire your patience with this castle painting. Over-all, I think it is looking more cohesive than it did in the beginning. And I like the new sky better than the first one.
I know all of our monitors view differently, but I'll attach your pic with the auto-correction applied to it. It still has a touch of flash or lamp glare, but most of the canvas area is a touch brighter.
Keep yer brushes wet!
Regards,
damar

Donald_Smith
10-28-2004, 12:05 AM
Well, I'm sure you don't want to hear from me, but tough. You asked so I'll tell you any way. :evil:

I love the way the sky draws your eye to the castle. I think the lights and shadows are greatly improved over the original picture you posted. The waves and shore make me want to kick off my shoes and socks and go for a leasurely stroll through the wet sand looking for sea shells.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate it a great painting :angel:

Great job and perserverance in the face of adversity,
Don

HRH Goldie
10-28-2004, 07:24 AM
Damar - Many thanks for your post and please can I have your viewer as the painting looks much better the way you posted than in real life lol! :D
I feel a little embarrassed now at posting the daylight shot but I will as promised and is at the foot of here. Thanks for the insight into your paintings these are things I think other budding artists like myself appreciate hearing. :clap:

Donald - Of course I don't mind hearing from you - on the contrary the more the merrier as they say. Thank you for the compliments - a bit of an about turn for you or are you just trying to make me feel better? lol! I don't know if there is a beach here to kick off your shoes and walk on. I sort of think that it will be quite rocky if there is any at all. Maybe there is just a wall to stop the break water. I guess only the photographer knows the truth! :wink2:
I have posted some coastal shots of the beach beside me in the ref image library if you are interested. We are fortunate in that we have lovely sand on one side and some lovely rocks on the other. It's just a pity we didn't get some of that glorious yellow stuff I've heard of in the sky! :p
Take a look at the daylight version before I change it yet again - it may alter your opinion. :wave:

Christine

Donald_Smith
10-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Okay, you're right the beach is rocky. So, I wont get to feel the sand squish between my toes :( , but it is still a great painting, that draws your eyes to the subject. The colors all work well together. Interesting mix of lights and darks. I would hang it on my wall.

D

HRH Goldie
10-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Don - Lol! What can I say - to say that you would hang it on your wall is a true compliment - only you don't say what wall? Lol! :wink2:

christine

Donald_Smith
10-29-2004, 06:52 PM
Ya know, it's funny you mentioned which wall.. :evil: My bro-in-law wanted me to paint him a painting. So I did. I couldn't wait till the next time I visited so I could see where he hung it. I specialize in BATH ROOM art. Yup! he framed it and hung it in his down stairs bathroom. I figure if I ever try to go pro, that will be the nitch I am for. I figure there aren't too many artists that dilberatly paint art for a bathroom..LOL

I would post a photo but I can't find one.. :(

Don

gini/art
10-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Don, You need to find a picture. I don't think I have ever seen "bathroom art". I am very interested. :wave:

Gini

PS. Galloway Castle looks great!!! :clap:

Donald_Smith
11-01-2004, 08:50 AM
I found a photo of the painting I did for my Bro-In-Law. He framed it and hung it in the bathroom. I guess I can corner the market in bathroom art. I don't have a clue for what kind of criteria is required. But I can make that up as I go. :evil:

Don

HRH Goldie
11-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Lol Donald - Though I do think it is a strange choice of image for a bathroom.
Utility room maybe ? Lol!!!!! :evil:

No it's fine and I suppose if you give a painting or indeed sell one it is up to the new owner where they hang it - irrespective of upsetting the artists feelings.
Next time do him a ship wreck or sea shell. In case its destined for the same location. :p

Christine

Donald_Smith
11-01-2004, 12:16 PM
He has decorated his bathroom in ducks and geese. The painting actually looks pretty good with the rest of the theme. It didn't bother me that he hung it in there. I'm glad it is just a half bath, and doesn't have a shower or bathtub. I don't know what the humidity would do to the painting.

D

HRH Goldie
11-01-2004, 08:50 PM
Here we go - Donald and others!
I have stuck this in a frame so it doesn't sustain any further damage.
It isn't right so I will have to revisit at a later date but I have reached the boredom point with it so it is to go and live in the computer room until I think it deserves to come back out lol!

Christine

Youssef
11-01-2004, 11:16 PM
To be honest with you, I'm jalous :clap:
Awesome sky and nice framing too.

shirleyq
11-01-2004, 11:43 PM
My goodness, what a long thread! Your painting got progressively better and could still be improved with some soft edges. Congratulations on the progress thus far!!

I found a photo of the painting I did for my Bro-In-Law. He framed it and hung it in the bathroom. I guess I can corner the market in bathroom art. I don't have a clue for what kind of criteria is required. But I can make that up as I go.

Looks like a great place to go crappy fishing to me!

HRH Goldie
11-02-2004, 03:20 AM
Cherrouq - Thank you for the compliment but it's only framed because I wanted to protect it - it's not finished yet that sky just looks rough. I wish I could rewind a few stages back - I'd be content.
The frame although a lovely real wood was purchased with a print of Monet in from one of these cheapie shops. It already had the mount glued to it so taking a scalpel I 'operated' and removed it. It would have been very expensive to get this size framed and as it was it cost me 11.00 Not bad for the size. My other frames 16 x 12 I buy for 5.50 from the same shop but they are empty apart from the mount. If I went to a proper art supplier it would be much more expensive. Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

Shirley - Thank you for visiting - yes it is a long thread but very interesting I think. There has been much tooing and froing from the start and some posts even controversial. Debates and allsorts going on too but ultimately a gret learning experience.
When you say smoother edges - I take it you must mean the sky? I quite agree but me and the sky are arch enemies and have been battling from the start lol! I am putting this to one side with the proviso that the sky will be revisited when my patience has returned. I lost the subtelty of it when it was repainted and now am struggling to get the blending I had before.
You are absolutely right therefore and thank you for pointing this out.
Lol at the toilet joke naughty lady. :evil: :D :wave:

Christine

shirleyq
11-02-2004, 09:01 AM
Lol at the toilet joke naughty lady. :evil: :D :wave:

Christine

LOL, LOL :D :D ooops..........Language problem.........crappy, pronounced crahhpy is a fish!!!! LOL

and the really weird thing is this quote and my answer belongs in another thread..................OK, that's the last time I stay up late looking at WC! LOL

damar
11-02-2004, 02:31 PM
It looks finished to me HRH Goldie! :)