PDA

View Full Version : paint?

billyjo30
08-31-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm planning a trip to Cheap Joe's and planning to but acrylic paints. I have fooled with "basic" paints but now want to get more serious. I looked at the paint recommendations and see that liquitex looks good. Cheap joe's however has Davinci in 70 ml tubes for about the same price as a 59 ml of liquitex. Advice on the best way to go please. Also c.j. has his own canvas- Cotton pre-strtched, titanium: 6 pk 16"x20" 22.99. Is that a worth while choice?

Artguy29
08-31-2004, 07:15 PM
I'm not too familar with Davinci, but have been very pleased using Liquitex. This thread may help you out: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207520&highlight=acrylic+paints
I use Grumbacher Academy acrylics (near-professional quality). If you're looking for professional quality paints, I would recommend Grumbacher Finest acrylics (I have used them a few times and loved the quality but the cost kept me away).

Dave

Richard Saylor
08-31-2004, 07:32 PM
Da Vinci is my favorite brand of watercolor and gouache, but I've never tried their acrylics. Next time I go to Cheap Joe's, I may pick up a few tubes. Right now I'm using Golden acrylics, which seem to have a slightly higher pigment concentration than Liquitex.

Einion
08-31-2004, 07:56 PM
Hi Joan, I don't know which other brands Cheap Joe's stock but I would certainly suggest DaVinci is worth trying based on the quality of their watercolours and as you say they appear to be better value than Liquitex there.

Which brand or brands are the best choice is very dependant on how you want to paint (thick/thin, brushmarks/no brushmarks etc.) but Liquitex would not be my first recommendation if you want to try a top-drawer brand as you can see from my comments in the product review section. Finity, Tri-Art, Cryla and Golden are all superior in some or all respects and they're sure to have at least one these. I would pick up a couple of colours from one or two brands and use them, see how you think they stack up against each other. If you have a Dick Blick store near you their acrylics are very good value and well worth a try, as are Utrecht's.

Einion

Richard Saylor
08-31-2004, 08:14 PM
Cheap Joe's has Finity, Golden, Liquitex, and Da Vinci, with competitive prices on all of them.

metalhead
08-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Can you tell by looking at a finished painting if an inferior brand was used? Or is it more a matter of what it's like during the creation of the painting?
So far I've only used liquitex...

billyjo30
08-31-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks to you all! I think I will follow Einion suggestion and pick up a couple of different brands and see what is best for me. As far as art supply stores go; I live it the back woods of NC, near Morehead City and feel luck to have Cheap Joe's within 325 mile. We will go camping in the area for a few days and I will shop 'til I drop. Any one try C.J.' canvas???

Richard Saylor
08-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Can you tell by looking at a finished painting if an inferior brand was used?
Not usually.
Or is it more a matter of what it's like during the creation of the painting?
Yes.
So far I've only used liquitex...
I used only Liquitex until recently. Then I tried Golden and like it a little better. However, I still think Liquitex is good paint.

coherent
09-01-2004, 09:52 AM
I've seen some stuff posted here that was done in student grade paints like basics that was wonderful. I don't believe anyone could tell what type of acrylic was used... depending on the technique and ability of the artist it really wouldn't make any difference to the viewer. I started with basics.. then academy... then liquetex then golden... the biggest difference to me is color mixing and when I want to cover or opaque over what's underneath with a light color like yellow. The student stuff may take 2-3 layers, whereas the artist quality with more pigment covers in one coat. If you were working in thin washes/glazes, you may not note a big difference except for the way the paint flows. Some techniques may be easier to master with a better paint, but I think you can definately learn and produce quality work with student paints.
(just my 2 cents).
-marc

Artguy29
09-01-2004, 10:24 AM
Just to compare student and professional grade paints, here are two paintings I did, one with professional grade paints and the other with student grade paints. (The first one was done with Grumbacher Finest acrylics, professional, and the second one was done with Grumbacher Academy acrylics, student. They were both done with more or less the same technique)

Dave

coherent
09-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Dave... not sure how good a representitive this is of the two types of paints. Different colors, different subjects and most likely different days or time period of your experience. I think maybe the same exact subject, same techniques and same time would offer a bit more of a comparison? I could be wrong but my guess was the one of the shaggy dog was done more recently?
-marc

Artguy29
09-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Actually, I did the shaggy dog in an acrylic class I took, and the other one after that. Your work does change somewhat without a teacher standing behind your back! Sorry it's not the best example but I thought it might help slightly.

Dave

coherent
09-01-2004, 01:29 PM
I really like the shaggy dog... he's very well done!
-marc

Artguy29
09-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Thanks, Marc. I wish he were mine; painted him from a photo of my neighbor's dog.

Dave

Wanderlustart
09-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Just out of curiousity, from Morehead City do you go I-40 through Raliegh? And if so, have you ever also gone to Art Supply Warehouse (ASW) or Jerry's Artarama both in Raleigh?
I haven't actually visited any of them though I receive their catalogs as well as Joe's, and formerly ordered Golden until Utrecht started carrying it. (Utrecht has a more favorable free shipping cut-off, and of course no NC sales tax).
I'd love to know your opinion(s).

Thanks,
Patricia

billyjo30
09-02-2004, 09:38 PM
I Have been to Jerry's. I believe the ASW doesn't have a retail store. I still like Cheap Joe's the best. The prices on the whole are better and it is a real neat place to visit. The NC mts are beautiful and Joe Miller (Cheap Joe) works the store and is a peach. The trip makes for a nice vacation.